Quantcast Feelings on the 2008 Dining Plan/Will You Purchase The Dining Plan in 2008? [Merged] - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Jacksboro, Texas (Northwest of Dallas Fort Worth)
    Post Thanks / Like

We love the DDP, and the changes are fine with us..we will continue to use it, and maybe now the CM's will for sure get what they deserve..
    First trip 1981

Married at Disney's wedding pavillion 12-22-04
    DVC owners @ SSR Dec 2005
    OKW-DEC-2004-Wedding
    VERO BEACH-DEC-2004-(honeymoon)
    ASM-DEC-2005
    SSR-OCT-2006
    SSR-DEC-2007
    AKV owners Jul 08
    SSR Dec 08
    SSR June 09
    New Baby Boy arrived Aug 3 2009 !! (our first)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If one is not able to leave at least a 15% tip then one should not eat at the sit-down restaurants. That is the customary payment for service in the U.S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    Can you imagine the people who will leave a subpar tip or none at all. What about the family of 8 who has saved and saved and doesn't really have the money for tips and chooses to spend that hard earned money on souveniers. I think the waiters and waitresses or whomever has pushed this issue has cut their own throat.
    My thoughts exactly. At least with the old plan, it appeared that the servers were getting a guaranteed 18% tip. I don't understand them being upset if it was showing up on their W2's...am I wrong, but don't you have to report your tips anyway?? If they want to "lie" about their tips, I don't think it's worth it...I don't think any server will average 18% in tips now...my guess is, they'll be doing good to average 10%. And as far as the "survey", saying guests wanted tips excluded...who did they survey?? I know I was never asked!

Overall, I'm not thrilled with the changes and am seriously considering whether or not to do the dining plan again. The other options are way too expensive, and as others have said, you'd get nothing done but run from restaurant to restaurant.

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by crazeedizneefinatic View Post
    Can you imagine the people who will leave a subpar tip or none at all. What about the family of 8 who has saved and saved and doesn't really have the money for tips and chooses to spend that hard earned money on souveniers. I think the waiters and waitresses or whomever has pushed this issue has cut their own throat.
    I'd say that leaving a subpar tip or none at all speaks more for to the character of the customers than the DDP.

Whether it is included in the package, or paid out of pocket, it is still a part of the meal expense just as much as the appetizer and dessert are.

The DDP is not an entitlement, it's a choice. If it works for you, then buy it. If it doesn't work for you, don't buy it. If you can't afford the tip, then you can't afford the meal. There is not a thing wrong with the counter service and food court food if that works better for you, and in the case of younger children, it may be the better choice anyway.

For what it's worth, most members of my family felt the down side of the current DDP was TOO MUCH FOOD, and I don't think they are the only one's feeling that way. So, from their standpoint, instead of leaving the plan as is, and most likely raising the prices, they offered less food at basically the same price.
    And instead of the automatic 18% tip, that many people didn't like, felt it caused diminished service, and was unfair to the servers, they now allow customers to determine their own tip level.

Some could say they were actually responding to customer demand.

But whatever, why take it so personally. The rules changed, they are what they are. Either way, it's still a CHOICE. If it suits you, use it. If it doesn't suit you, don't.

If you don't like it, why not create your own dining plan. Instead of paying Disney your $38.99 per day, per person, put it into a separate account and make your own dining plan. If the DDP does not benefit or accomodate your family's needs or style of eating, then maybe this would. It would still be "pre-paid" prior to the trip, but instead off paying it to Disney, it's paid to yourself. And, any unused meal money would still be in your bank rather than Disney's.

But why take it as personal attack or punishment or something. It's a business decision, no more, no less.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

The real issue here is whether, or not, the modifications to the DDP make it a value to an individual planning a trip to WDW in 2008. If yes, add the DDP to your package. If no, then do not purchase the DDP.

Some of the comments in previous posts are disturbing. It is illogical to attempt to punish Disney by leaving an insufficient tip(less than 15%). Likewise, if the ability to leave a proper tip does not fit one's budget, then the individual should decline to add the DDP and should instead plan a combination of snacks, CS, and TS that fits the budget.

The DDP, in its current state, may have been too successful. The capacity and staffing requirements may be insufficient to sustain this level of demand. These changes will reduce demand, ADR's will be somewhat easier to obtain, and servers will take a hit as lower TS bills and a number of no/low tippers impact their income.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stickey View Post
    Some of the comments in previous posts are disturbing. It is illogical to attempt to punish Disney by leaving an insufficient tip(less than 15%). Likewise, if the ability to leave a proper tip does not fit one's budget, then the individual should decline to add the DDP and should instead plan a combination of snacks, CS, and TS that fits the budget.
    I agree -- I can't imagine stiffing the servers so that I could go home with a bunch of souveniers..... these people have to make a living! I just could never justify a decision like that.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    ...And instead of the automatic 18% tip, that many people didn't like, felt it caused diminished service, and was unfair to the servers, they now allow customers to determine their own tip level...
    BUT>>> They automatically add 18% to parties of 6 or more. I have never seen a gratuity added automatically for parties of less than 8. I have no problem leaving an appropriate tip based on the service I receive. It just needs to be my decision and there will be a discussion if my service is poor and I am "required" to leave 18%...
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I am SUPER happy about Everything that is happening with the DDP right now.

Maybe things can get back to normal.
    "It's called a salute to all nations but MOSTLY America"

Been to WDW so many times, I've lost count

Visited Disneyland Paris in May 2002

Disneyland & Cali Adventure in June 2007

Hope to someday make it to Japan, China, and back to Paris for Disney Studios!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SignguyTom View Post
    BUT>>> They automatically add 18% to parties of 6 or more. I have never seen a gratuity added automatically for parties of less than 8. I have no problem leaving an appropriate tip based on the service I receive. It just needs to be my decision and there will be a discussion if my service is poor and I am "required" to leave 18%...
    Exactly... I am usually a big tipper, BUT I control the tip and therefore the service. Once you automatically add in a tip, I feel service does suffer.

So, I'm not mad at the fact that they removed the tip from the DDP, but that they didn't adjust the price accordingly. I think that's the issue. Value of the plan has gone down, not that I ever thought it was much of a value to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The automatic 18% tip for large parties is industry standard, and has nothing to do with WDW or the DDP.

My previous comment about the automatic 18% tip was referring to the tip that was included as part of the current DDP. Going forward with the new DDP, the tip is not included and patrons will have to tip on their own. Which sounds like what you'd prefer anyway.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Help, not sure what to do.

Hi All,
    I am not sure what to do. When I started planning this trip I was planning on doing the 2007 version of the dining plan and paying OOP for a few char. breakfasts. Now I am not sure what to do...
    1. Do the basic dining plan and pay OOP for the char breakfasts and TIPS.
    2. Do the deluxe plan and budget for the tips on that plan
    or
    3. Pay OOP for everything

My only fear with #3 is that Disney is going to hike up the menu prices to almost force you into some kind of dining package.

When we honeymooned in WDW in 2002, we had the silver plan (2 wish per day thing) that could be used on all kinds of things, not just meals. I think it was $67.00 per person per day and I think we got out moneies worth as we did la nuba, fultons, Cindy's, hoopdedoo, poly dinner show and much more. Considering our trip next year is over 6 years later the deluxe dining plan doesn't look too bad except for having to do the tips seperate.
    My only other issues with the plans are what happened to all of the DTD restaurants and all of the snack options??? I wanted to be able to snack my way around Epcot, but it looks like I will not be able to do that with these new plans. Please share on what you think we should do.

I will be DH and Myself. Some days we do two sit downs but one of them is an early char. breakfast and the other would be a dinner.

Thanks!
    1984 - Off Property
    May 2002 - AKL
    May 2003 - DL - One day
    January 2006 - One day
    March 2006 - CSR
    March 2008 Swan/Dolphin
    December 2008 - CBR/AKL
    November 2012 - AoA Lion King
    March 15-22 2014 - Swan/Dolphin
    Nov 13-22 2014 AoA Cars

DVC Owners @ GF
    Up Next:
    Sept 4-12 Poly Villas

Post Thanks / Like

my wife,19 yr old son and myself went last sept with free dining and wife and I are returning this sept for 14 nights.

It`s too bad that disney is no longer going to include the tip in the plan but no longer including the appetizer does not surprise me at all. everyone gets the appetizer whether they are hungry enough or not because it`s included and many people have a nibble or 2 and the rest goes in the garbage. we saw a lot of waste last trip and it is a shame to throw food away.
    "there`s a great big beautiful tomorrow"

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, as far as the plan goes I think we can all agree that at most Table Service meals there is a lot of food. So in Disney’s mind the removal of something to, in their words make it less expensive seemed to make some sense. I was told that it went from $38.99 to $37.99, to make it more cost effective for the diner, then the CM went on to say that as a result of this they would be removing the appetizer option from the TS meals and also requiring you the diner to pay for the gratuity. Although, I have always believed that having the gratuity included causes some servers to be less gracious to you as an individual diner, I think that the removal of the gratuity, at least I believe serves a purpose; to make the servers be more accountable for the treatment of customers and hopefully as a result you will see the service change for the better.

Of course, as with anything that is changing there will be those people who may choose to not leave a tip for the server, thus we may see service take a turn for the worse if you have the DDP. In return this will ultimately affect us all, when you tell the servers you have DDP they will begin to wonder if you are good for a tip. I believe in tipping according to service and upon a few occasions at WDW, there were times that the staff exceeded our expectations and we chose to leave additional gratuity for our server.

We have enjoyed the DDP option as a way to bank money and to insure that we will have good meals without really having to think too hard about it once we are on site. We like the inclusive feel of it, but being planners we like to know that all we have to do is be at our chosen TS restaurant at our reservation time.

Perhaps a different solution to this would have been to allow the diner to choose whether they would like to have an appetizer or a dessert at TS venues. Then add on an additional snack per person so you could have say a drink and popcorn, making it more of a snack break.

After working out the numbers and adding in what would be the tip, we have found that it really is close. Is the amount worth being tied to the plan?

I agree with Marker and think that Banking our allotted food funds and adding it to the room may be the way to go. This is also making us rethink renting a car to take offsite for meals and snacks.

I would like to believe that Disney might change their minds over the next few months as more people choose to make other arrangements and perhaps choose to go offsite.
    I think losing that guaranteed money that they were getting up front will begin to decline as more people choose to go another way, “as a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush!”

As a side note, If I was at WDW during free dining you can guarantee that I would be leaving a tip for my server. I would feel that I was already getting such a bargain that I would want to reciprocate.
    Darby

May 2008 Pop Century
    Schools Out For the Summer or Evan is Seven!

March 2007 Pop Century
    Spring Break aka "Just the 3 of Us

May 2006 Pop Century
    Evan is "5" With Friends aka "Never Gonna Do This Again"

September 2004 Pop Century
    Family Gathering aka "Trapped In Florida"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    However, without the DDP, I probably wouldn't order BOTH appetizer and dessert with each TS meal, and I probably wouldn't eat as many TS meals.
    Exactly! Before the DDP, we never really ate at TS restaurants. But given the chance to try out all of these new places and foods, we just couldn't pass it over. Did we always eat every last bit of our appetizer and dessert? Nope. Things went to waste sometimes. And guess what? We've found that we really like the buffets/family style meals the best anyway, which are generally cheaper, and w/out the dining plan at the nicer places, we would probably only get entrees and split a desert if we even got one. So I'm happy that we had the chance to go twice on the old plan, but with the new plan it just doesn't seem right for us anymore.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locodemickey View Post
    If one is not able to leave at least a 15% tip then one should not eat at the sit-down restaurants. That is the customary payment for service in the U.S.
    Wow, I must be cheap, because I would never leave a $20 for our family of four for an overly inflated priced meal that is served and consumed in less than an hour.
    As for those who suggest that if you can't afford the tip then you can't afford the restaurant - that is harsh. Some families scrimp and save all year for this magical experience. For many of us, it's our one and only vacation for the entire year.
    I know that neither my husband or I make $75k a year, and we are both college/university educated.
    I never minded the 18% tip when it was included in the DDP, but I sure won't be paying any server 18% OOP.
    I think the change is for the better - to Disney's bottom line only. I will not pay for DDP in the future, which as others have pointed out, is my option. This also means that I will be eating just 2 or 3 meals at a TS, and visiting Olive Garden and Outback a few times.
    Before Kids:
    Off-Site - September/91 & September/92

With Kids:
    Off-site - November/03 & September/05
    FREE DINING:
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/06 (w/ my parents)
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/07
    POP Century - Aug/Sept/08 (w/Bro's family)
    POP Century - Sept/09 (NO KIDS!!!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jszczur5 View Post
    Wow, I must be cheap, because I would never leave a $20 for our family of four for an overly inflated priced meal that is served and consumed in less than an hour.
    As for those who suggest that if you can't afford the tip then you can't afford the restaurant - that is harsh. Some families scrimp and save all year for this magical experience. For many of us, it's our one and only vacation for the entire year.
    Sorry, but that is incredibly selfish and shortsighted. When I first worked in restaurants, I didn't make enough to take any vacation like the one you and your family are taking, and yet you would stiff the server on the tip just so you can afford to vacation the way you want? What makes NO sense to me.

The tip is part of the dining cost in this country. If you tried to order all that food and at the end said, "I can only pay for one entree. Come on , restaurant manager, have a heart! My family saved all year for this experience, I shouldn't be expected to pay for the WHOLE MEAL!" Ridiculous! And yet you use it as an excuse to rob the servers of their INCOME.

Yes, income. Tips are not above and beyond a living wage in many states. It is an expected rate of income. They are paid under minimum wage in Florida, and are expected to make the rest up in tips. You are robbing the servers of their income when you decide tipping isn't convenient for you and your "budget". PLAN TO TIP 15% OR MORE ON EACH MEAL. Budget it in. I am frankly a bit appalled at this selfish and limited persepctive... Sorry, but I am.

As for tipping on an "overinflated price"--you agreed to pay that price. And again, in this country, you should expect to tip on it. If you can't afford the meal plus tip, which is the complete cost of your night out, go somewhere else.

*shaking head in surprise*

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to the World next year and looking at the dining plans, we tried to decide which would be worth the money Basic or Deluxe. We would love to take advantage of the dinner shows (normally not in the budget) and some of the signature dining (also normally not in the budget) - here is what I’ve tentatively come up with. In the course of deciding if the Deluxe Dining package would be worth $70 per person per day, I took a look at some the options.

Knowing that 3 meals a day might be too much food for us and many other people, I looked into utilizing the signature dining options and dinner shows. Here is my wish list for our next trip.

Hoop-de-do review - $55/person
    Spirit of Aloha show - $55/person
    Flying Fish - Appetizer $12 -13/person
    Entree $18 - 29/person
    Dessert $7 - 8/person
    Yachtsman's Club - Appetizer $8 - 13/person
    Entree $21 - 42/person
    Dessert $6 - 11/person
    Artists Point - Similar pricing to Yachtsman

Combine these with lunches at places like Grand Floridian Cafe, Sci-Fi Diner or Primetime
    cafe for example.

Use a snack credit for a little something for breakfast (ie. cinnimon bun) and this package can pay off very nicely.

We always leave something extra anyway if the service is exceptional, so the issue of tipping doesn't affect us.

Note: Tips for dinner shows are included!

Just some food for thought....
    Let the magic begin.....!!!

Post Thanks / Like

REMEMBER-the meaning of the word TIPS stands for "to insure proper service". If you receive proper service, you should tip accordingly, regardless of "inflated meal prices".
    Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I laugh when I hear it's "free". Nothing is "free", it's included with the cost of the cruise.

ME is NOT "free" - It's part of your room fee.
    Free Dining is NOT "free" - Why are you paying rack rate for your room then?
    Furniture delivery is NOT free - It's in the cost of the sofa, chair, dining room set.

Etc, etc, etc...

If anything, the DDP could be considered a loss leader, but it's not. Disney was making money hand over fist on the DDP, even when it was offered for "free". The increase in price is an attempt to just make more money, period. I agree, the servers will be paying the real price this time, I'm actually looking forward to hearing the complaints...
    I apologize, I misspoke. What I meant was, I'll be going on a cruise that is "all inclusive". You end up spending more money when everything is "ala carte".

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLuvnNooks View Post
    Since the tip money would have to come out of our spending money alloted to be $10 a day, and I am not willing to give them all of it......To my husband's dismay (traditionally a big tipper of 20-25% at meals), and soon the servers as well, we will only be able to tip $6.00 for each table service meal, for 2 adults and 1 child. We scrimp and save all year long just to be able to come down each year. (to pay for the trip and lost wages, since neighter of us get paid time off) Now, not only are we losing the appetizers which helps to feed our 3 yr old with a big appetite (who needs more than just a kids meal), we must also pay the tip. You lose $10 worth of food, plus the tip, and they lower the package price by $1.00? So easy to cover a huge price increase and their profit margin, while making the families struggling to come down struggle even more..... No, we would never purchase the plan now that it has changed. Disney used to make me feel like it was the happiest place on earth. These new changes have made me very sad. The servers are going to be sad, and we will be sad, not being able to afford to tip more. So, so, so sad.......
    If you only leave a $6 tip (no matter how much the check is and how great your sevice is) that is punishing your server for the decision that Disney made. I served for 3 1/2 years and they get a salary GREATLY smaller than minimum wage. For me, it was $2.13/hr. They depend on their tips just to live, let alone being able to afford elabrate Disney vacations.

Quote Originally Posted by locodemickey View Post
    Completely agreed!! I'm glad you pointed out that it is customary in the US. Alot of other countries pay their servers higher wages and they don't get tips. Alot of people from other countries don't understand that and leave the server nothing.

I agree with this point as well. However, depending on the restaurant, I have seen an automatic gratuity included in parties of 6.

Quote Originally Posted by jszczur5 View Post
    I know that neither my husband or I make $75k a year, and we are both college/university educated.
    I never minded the 18% tip when it was included in the DDP, but I sure won't be paying any server 18% OOP.
    I think the change is for the better - to Disney's bottom line only. I will not pay for DDP in the future, which as others have pointed out, is my option. This also means that I will be eating just 2 or 3 meals at a TS, and visiting Olive Garden and Outback a few times.
    No, it isn't harsh to expect that you tip your server for service (it is average of 15-20%). Imagine if your husband goes to work and, even though he has slaved away working to the bone, his boss says "Today we are only paying you what we can afford since the price of (whatever he does) has gone up...,.sorry". You should be so lucky that that doesn't happen to him!!

As for those families that "scrimp and save" to go on vacation. Maybe some of those are servers that on occasion get stiffed by people like you.

That "less than 15%" you are going to give them, remember, they have to, not ONLY pay taxes on that but (in MOST places) tip out other staff memeber (ie: bartender, bussers, host, kitchen people) which now their tip has gone down by half.

Just for the record, I tipped OVER on most of my checks last year allowing my server to get the 20% they deserve. It's not easy standing on your feet for 12 hours slaving away and making sure that every cranky, hot parent and child has a "magical day". Maybe I'll start tipping 25% to make up for the others that choose not to reward their server. BTW, I AM one of those people that "scrimp and save" to go on vacation. I drive a car 15 years old and buy everything on sale or with coupons and I still have enough class to TIP according.

I'm FINALLY off my soapbox. Thanks for listening to my rant.
    1988 Family Trip as a kid (offsite)
    1989-Family Trip (First time at MGM)
    2001-Daytrip
    2003-Trip with Friends (First time AK)
    2005-Sept 25-30-POP Century
    2006-Sept 25-Oct 1- All Star Music
    2007-Sept 9-17-All Star Music
    2008-closing of PI only
    2009-May 21-22 Disneyland/DCA

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I agree with HOLITRIN. I did the math and we had several meals planned which were two credits and we were going to pay most of them OOP as well as any TS Breakfasts we had planned.
    Now with the Deluxe plan we can do it all on plan and use a snack credit for Breakfast on days we don't have an ADR. And after much calculating and number crunching it works out to about even. Now I'm not saying that either of the dining plan options are saving money any more but we like the idea of having everything taken care of in advance so I can just concentrate on which Mickey Mouse Watch I'm coming home with. If we pay OOP foir everything we would have to pay the Tip anyway so we'll just add it into our daily budget and all will be well.
    I do hope, however, that we will be able to place those charges on our room since I don;t carry a lot of cash.
    As far as servers not paying income tax on their tips, it's not true. Thier income is estimated at 15% over their table receipts and that amount is automatically removed from their pay to go to the IRS so if you only tip 10% then they are paying taxes on money they didn't even make.
    Speaking from experience here.
    May 1983 - Senior Class Trip
    July 1993 - Off Site
    July 1996 - Off Site
    June 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside
    January 2008 - Polynesian WOO HOO!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snifflesmcg View Post

I'm FINALLY off my soapbox. Thanks for listening to my rant.
    You're welcome -- I'm glad you did it. We live in a stingy me-first society where people are more concerned with getting an appetizer or a toy that will soon be broken and/or forgotten than in making sure the person who gives us personal service can afford to take their kid to the doctor when they get sick.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: