Quantcast What DVD to buy for a woman?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What DVD to buy for a woman?

Background...I really can't come up with a good idea of what to get my sister-in-law. I really can't afford much this year (I have a big bill coming up in January for my son's braces). Last year I gave one of my cousins a "Movie Night Basket" and they seemed to really like it.

I'm thinking of a movie basket (an older movie, with jiffy pop, candy, bottled coke) but hers and my tastes are TOTALLY on the opposite ends of the globe. I'm more of Will Smith and "I Robot" smash 'em dash 'em sorta girl...

She likes Meryl Streep (I'm really not a Meryl Streep fan), Grease (50's style musicals) etc. I "think" she already has Grease so I'm trying to come up another movie...some thoughts are "Pretty Woman", "Princess Bride", Devil Wears Prada", "Sleepless in Seattle", "Hairspray"...I really don't know...

I know "I" like Pretty Woman and Princess Bride...But I've not seen Meryl Streep's Devil Wears Prada or Bridges of Madison County (neither interest me...no Monsters or Aliens), I've seen a little of Sleepless.. it's OK...and I really never cared for Hairspray at all but this is not MY gift...I'm trying to think like her.

Anybody out there think of movies along this line that are pretty good? Preferably something fairly old that you'd gladly watch over and over again.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If she likes Meryl Streep what about out of africa with Robert Redford?
    Natalie
    Feb 2001 off site Jan 2002 All star movies Dec 2002 All star sports jan-04 Poly Nov 2004 pofq Nov 2005 Pors Mar 06 at PORS CBR Dec 2006 POR sept 21-30 2007 oct 2008 poly and akl, dec 2008 pop and VWL

Post Thanks / Like

The Devil Wears Prada was okay, Streep was the best part of it. Out of Africa might be a good choice, or the French Lieutenant's Woman, classic Streep. Also, the Princess Bride is fantastic, a classic and one that many women enjoy and can watch again and again. I would go with Princess Bride. I love A Room with a View, but there is some male frolicking in the nude and that might be an issue. South Pacific is usually a hit with musical fans.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

If she likes girlie and old how about something like Breakfast at Tiffanys? or if she likes musicals how about West Side Story?
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

How about a gift certificate to BLOCKBUSTER and let her choose her own movies?
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Arsenic and Old Lace I've been watching this week over and over. Another is Gypsy with Natalie Wood.
    I like disneydeb's idea of a gift certificate. How about a Best Buy gift card? I know some people think a gift certificate is not a real gift but I would like it, it's better than having to bring a gift back.

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

I know you can give a Netflix subscription as a gift!

Okay, coming from someone who doesn't like the typical chick flick and also someone who loves musicals... I will tell you that Hairspray is seriously amazing and isn't just for musical lovers (or 12 year old girls). My husband who is a new musical lover adors Hairspray and walks around singing the songs and trying to do the mashed potato (adorable) !!

Devil Wears Prada is another one of my (and my husbands) guilty pleasures. The Princess Bride is adorable as is Pretty Woman. But, if you wanna go with an off the cuff movie... try getting on CBS's online store. If it's not CBS then it's ABC. It's a tv movie called "Shake, Rattle, and Roll." It's a two part and I think you can get it in DVD or VHS. It's set in the 50's and is just pure perfection. Also, if she's into movie biographies, check out The Buddy Holly Story, Great Balls of Fire, and La Bamba.

Oh yeah! And I second Breakfast at Tiffany's!
    -Stacey

"There is a natural hootchy-kootchy motion to a goldfish.”

"To all who come to this happy place, welcome." -Walter Elias Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

If she loves Grease I think Hairspray would be the one to pick. I also think a Netflix membership would be awesome.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

If you're willing to order a DVD online, I strongly suggest buying "Once." It's a little Irish musical that's impossible not to love. Search for the theatrical trailer and take a look. I guarantee your sister-in-law will adore this film.

The DVD comes out on Dec. 18, but Amazon guarantees you will have it before Christmas if you purchase soon.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

The 'movie night in a basket' is a great idea. I might do that as a teacher's gift at my son's day care.

As for movies, "The Princess Bride" is a great choice. I LOOOOOVE 'A Room With a View", it's one of my all-time favorites - very romantic. Another favorite of mine is "Before Sunrise" and its sequel "Before Sunset". I own both. "Before Sunset" may feel a little Gen X, so it may not be age appropriate for her if she's over 40 or so. It's got Ethan Hawke in it, so if she likes him then this is the movie to get. As for "Once", I haven't seen it but I've heard great things about it and it's on my Netflix queue.

If you're not sure which movie, you could still do a movie night in a basket, but just include a Blockbuster gift card instead of a movie. Although it's not as personal than including a movie, you give her the freedom of renting or buying any movie that she wants.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Some really cool ideas. I hadn't thought about "Out of Africa" but that one sounds really good...I know I LOVED "Gypsy" with Nat Wood I wonder if it's on DVD? My parents would enjoy that one too...

Gift cards are just not the answer for her. She likes stuff that's more "put together". She really doesn't like driving any farther than her nearest grocery store so she'd be likely to give the card off to her son.

It sounds like Princess Bride is quite a winner for a lot of people...I know "I" really like that one and "Knights Tale".

Those are some GREAT ideas to look for.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Hairspray was a great musical-movie and The Devil Wears Prada is one of my favorite movies. If she likes Meryl Streep then she will probally love The Devils Wear Prada.

I like the Netflix idea too!
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

The Devil Wears Prada is a great choice for a Streep fan, as she was awesome in that. I can't say enough good things about Hairspray, if she likes musicals. Sweet story, wonderful music and a magical cast!
    Donna
    Intercot Staff

My father's name was Ferdinand, my mama's name was Liza, they didn't know what to call me so they called me Ferdiliza!
    Billy Hill and the Hillbillies - "I'm OK!"

Please support INTERCOT'S wonderful sponsers!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, these are some of mine:

When Harry Met Sally
    Sleepless in Seattle
    Indiana Jones (every poor guy I dated was held to his standard LOL)
    Beaches (with tissues)
    Only You
    Four Weddings and a Funeral
    I also like older movies by Hitchcock

Post Thanks / Like

There are some really good ideas out there... I agree with Out of Africa or The Devil Wears Prada. They're both great for Meryl fans.

If you're looking for something a little older, I agree with whoever suggested Breakfast at Tiffany's (but then I'm a sucker for ANYTHING with Audrey Hepburn)... You might also think about Sabrina (the original).

And When Harry Met Sally is one of my all time favorite movies. DH and I watch it every year on New Year's Eve and every Valentine's Day.

Just a few suggestions and my
    I love the idea of a movie night basket, and DH and I actually did one for his brother and sister-in-law last year. They loved it! So I'm sure it will be a big hit once you put it together. Good luck.

NEXT TRIP -
    WDW 08/18 ~ First family trip w/our 2 yo, 5 yo, my parents & our best friends &their 2 &5 yr olds.

PAST TRIPS -
    DISNEY WORLD
    04/16 (pre second babymoon), 08/15 (first trip with our own child), 08/10, 08/08, 04/05, 01/04, 04/02, summers 88, 90, 92 and 97.

DISNEYLAND
    03/06

Post Thanks / Like

I definately echo votes fro The Princess Bride! I also would suggest Sleepless in Seattle, When Harry Met Sally, and Under the Tuscan Sun.

A lesser known recent Meryl Streep movie is 'Evening." It's a tear jerker! It's based on the novel by Susan Minton and has Toni Collette, Claire Daines, Vanessa Redgrave, Natasha Richardson and Streep's daughter in it. "A Prairie Home Companion" was also excellent, and Streep sings in it! "Music and Lyrics" with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant was very good, too.

For older romantic-type movies my favorite is "The Clock," with Judy Garland (her only non-musical MGM film) but I am unsure if it is available on DVD. There's also Kiss Me Kate, Singing in the Rain, and Anchors Aweigh!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

If she is a fan of Meryl, her are some of hers that I liked:

Death Becomes Her - comedy
    The River Wild - suspense
    Silkwood - drama
    The French Lieutenants Woman - drama

And as far as The Princess Bride goes, unless you know she likes that type of humor, I would pass. I guess I am one of a very few who do not love this movie. For me is just ok. DH and the kids can quote lines, but I just roll my eyes.
    Jen
    Mom to Loden and LaneyLouWho

Post Thanks / Like

Death Becomes Her is probably one that Meryl and Goldie and Bruce would all love to forget!

Nonestly, I think that for the price of a movie, getting a one month subscription to netflix is an awesome idea!!! We have it and we love the variety. You can even download movies online and see things you can't really find anywhere else.

Oh, but for me, I would purchase a Jane Austen flick. If you like Meryl, you'll probably like movies like Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility..... but not Emma, that one was just okay. Or a katherine Hepburn flick like Bringing Up Baby with Cary Grant -- hilarious. OR, everyone likes Some Like it Hot -- Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. It always comes out #1 on the lists of best comedies of all time. It's a pure riot.
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

I think one movie that is one of the best when it comes to Movie's for women is "Steel Magnolia's" I love it. It does not have Meryl streep in it but is has a great cast. this one is top of my list.

Post Thanks / Like

"Out of Africa" is a great film. It's my wife's favorite!

How about "Love Actually" or "While You Were Sleeping"? Always good!
    "When I think of vacation, I think of Disney. I really do. They allow you just to open up your imagination and just be a kid again. There's nothing like it in the world."

"There's no rest on planetary duty." -Paul Watson

You'll Never Walk Alone - Justice For The 96!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: