Quantcast Is it OK to do this at CS locations?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it OK to do this at CS locations?

My DW and I never seperate at the CS locations and go to find a table after we have purchased our meal. If everyone did this then finding a table is usually quite simple. Unfortunately a lot of people like to hog tables by splitting up with some in the queue and someone "guarding" a table. I find this frustrating because I often see up to about 30% of the tables being held with nobody using them just yet. When so many people are doing this it can take a while to find a table. I have frequently seen a situation where we have finished our food before the people in the queue have returned.

My personal view is that this behaviour is rather selfish so we don't do it. I raised this issue in another topic and it appears that I may be in a minority here.

Do you think that doing this is OK or not?
    Past trips
    1980 - DisneyWorld somewhere ;)
    2000 - Disney's All Stars
    2005 - Honeymoon @ POP Century
    2008 - POFQ

Man I need to get there more often

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. The reason is it allows the ones sitting there a little break, lowers the number of people standing in the CS lines. If they are just sitting there to occupy the table and no food is being ordered, then I think it is a problem.

Is seating that much of a problem at the CS restaurants now? What time of the day are the tables 100% occupied? What about the people that do as you do, finish eating, but don't get up immediately and free up the table? How long are people allowed to sit at a table after they finish the meal?
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. The reason is it allows the ones sitting there a little break, lowers the number of people standing in the CS lines. If they are just sitting there to occupy the table and no food is being ordered, then I think it is a problem.
    I can see where you are coming from.

Is seating that much of a problem at the CS restaurants now?
    On a few occasions I found this to be the case

What time of the day are the tables 100% occupied?
    Generally I only saw this at peak times but we did see it at other times once or twice when I was last there.

What about the people that do as you do, finish eating, but don't get up immediately and free up the table? How long are people allowed to sit at a table after they finish the meal?
    I'm not trying to push an agenda here, I am trying to find out what other peoples thoughts are on this matter.

Thanks for your views
    Past trips
    2008 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

It drives me crazy...

I can't help but think, if people we're sitting at tables, others could actually be eating and be gone before the next people need a table. I've seen loads of people walking around with their food getting cold trying to find an open table with loads of "reserved" tables with the rest of their party roaming around trying to decide what food to get.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have someone in line buying food, then you are in fact using a table for justifiable purpose. I see nothing wrong with it. Hogging tables would be taking more tables than you need or lingering long after a meal is done. But sending a member of your party ahead to scout and grab tables while you are buying your food? That just makes sense in a crowded place. People in line are paying customers and paying customers are entitled to reasonable use of table space. I think this is reasonable. The people holding the table are hardly ever there for than an extra few minutes before the food comes.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

if your just sitting their for a rest period and not planning to eat then id say its unacceptable... i know when we go we will be seperated while one stands in line and the others find a table... haveing a hyper-active son who would change his mind ten times at the counter and make everyone wait behind us even longer is another great reason for me to stand in line alone while hubby and son get a table

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family of six. I find it much easier to have four of us sit at a table while two get the food. I t would be ridiculous to have all six of us standing in those crowded lines! I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely agree with the posters. If our group would've stayed in line with 3 two-year-olds instead of finding a table we would've been asked to leave!
    "Hey! That's some destination!"

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I've certainly done it -- but not to reserve the table. More to just get the kids somewhere and settled and out of a line. That being said, I tend to go in off season and really can't recall a time when it a CS place was that packed. (In fact -- the last time I ate at pizzafari in AK, we were literally the ONLY people in the room -- all the tables wanted US! LOL)

I think if I were sitting at a table waiting and saw a family with little ones desperately searching with trays full of food then I would definitely get up and let them have the table. At least, I would hope I would notice and do that.
    Jen

Always ready to talk Disney
    Grand Floridian**Contemporary**Polynesian**Wilderness Lodge**Yacht Club**Dolphin**Port Orleans French Quarter**All Star Movies**All Star Music**POP Century**Disney Wonder**Disney Magic**Disney Dream**VWL**Old Key West**Animal Kingdom Lodge**Bay Lake Tower

Post Thanks / Like

Rodder,
    I wasn't trying to berate you. I just can see this as an issue unless the CS restaurants are so over-crowded that no one can sit. I have not been in a while, but have several trips in plan for next year.

I can remember the most crowded I saw a CS was Tomorrowland Terrace. I had to have been around 8. This is when they only had MK. Michael Iceberg and the Iceberg Machine were there. The place was so crowded, there were no tables, people were standing around waiting for people to get up.

However, in general, there is no way I can see not having part of the group sit at a table while others are in line getting food.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like I'm in the minority again.
    Last edited by conorsmom2000; 09-06-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: keeping discussion friendly

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any problem with it. I wouldn't even think of trying to wait in the CS line with DD in her stroller and DS jumping around. DW will usually take the kids to a table while I pick up the food (and hopefully remember everything).
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

If you think that the sitting are is crowded with folks waiting for their food, imagine what the line ups at the food servce would be like with everyone standing there.

I personally have no issue with holding a table while some one gets the food. It is just good use of time. Like others have said, if folks are just using it as a rest stop, then no it isn't acceptable. But if you are paying for the food you have effectively paid for your table.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I can see why it's necessary with kids, strollers etc. I find it annoying when people are there alone whilst the rest of the group take ages to decide what they want. I have been in the situation where food is going cold and there are no tables free and it's frustrating. Especially when you know that some people will return from the counter after you have finished eating.

Part of me thinks that I should do the same but that makes the whole situation worse.
    Past trips
    2008 - POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We occasionally do this too - actually usually when the place is more crowded. What we do is all get in line together and order then send DD's off to find a table while DH and I wait for the food. I see nothing wrong with this practice and we usually employ it at fast food joints at home too regardless of how crowded they are. I do get slightly miffed when I see someone holding up a table (and not eating) for an extended period when the place is busy and we or others are wandering around with a tray full of food going cold. I have a couple of times politely asked a table-holder if my DD's could sit and eat until the rest of their party arrives - sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - it just depends on the kindness of whomever I've asked.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I actually find the practice rude, too, but not the people doing it (if that makes sense). I understand ~why~ people do it, I just think that when the restaurant is crowded, it causes even more problems. There've been times that I've seen 25%+ tables occupied by people waiting for their food. It would be much more efficient if people didn't get a seat until their food had arrived, or just before. Plus, not everyone has the luxury of being able to grab a seat ahead of time. We shared our table with a single mom stuck carrying a tray of food and pushing a stroller around while no one would get up from an "unused" table. With her load, she couldn't beat others to vacated tables. It was sad, actually.
    We don't clog up the lines when we don't grab a table ahead of time. I take the kids in for a potty break and hand washing while DH gets the food.
    ~~Julie~~

Post Thanks / Like

I think the practice is fine. I have to agree with a previous poster who had a family of 6. If people didnt hold tables all 6 people would be on line and then there would be a thread complaining about all the unrully kids on line. If anything it probably makes the dining experience go faster when only one or two people wait on line for food while the rest sit at a table.

Post Thanks / Like

We travel as a party of 7, which makes it difficult to find tables to seat that many, so we usually find out what everyone wants, a couple wait to get the food and the others will find a table. We aren't ones to linger at the table though, there are rides to ride!
    Shelley
    Do you believe in Magic?

Jan. 2001 - AS Music
    Nov. 2003 - AS Movies
    May 2004 - AS Movies
    Nov. 2005 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2007 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2010 - AS Sports
    Nov. 2013 - Caribbean Beach
    Jan. 2016 - Pop Century
    Nov. 2017 - AS Music/AK Lodge - Brand new DVC Members!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is acceptable behavior . . . within limits.

I also travel (usually) with a large party. One of us will look for a single table for the group while others get in line for food. Once a table is found, those who are not needed to cary food sit down. However I do object to the principle of using one small child to hold three or four tables, especially when times are busy. When our group has been bigger than one table, it's always been one person sitting at each table. Pick a table and sit - it's not an IQ test and there's no prize for getting a "better" table.

I'll continue to hold a single table for my parrty, because there is *nothing* worse than standing there with trays of food, wailing kids at your feet and all of you looking for a place to sit and rest.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, goodie! My first post gets to be on one of my favorite topics

Stop and think a minute - by having one or some members of your party find and hold a table while one or more members of your party get in line to order, obtain, and deliver the food, you are effectively turning a counter service location into a table service restaurant.

Think about it. You're seated, with no food in sight and none expected for x minutes (x varies depending on number of customers, cashiers, and kitchen workers). You're occupying the table in a location where intention is for customers to bring their own food to the table, sit, eat, clean, leave. But you add five, ten, fifteen, or more minutes' occupancy to the table time, because in addition to using it as intended (to eat the food you purchased at the counter) you're also using the table while you have no food, and can't tell for sure when you will.

Say there's a fifteen minute wait in line (keeping in mind, this wait will not be any longer or shorter because a family of four is in the line instead of just dad; the physical line will be, but the actual wait won't). Dad enters the line, mom and kids head for the only available table. Single-mom-with-two-kids (described above) has just gotten her tray of food and heads for the same table. Mom and kids get there first and sit with no food for fourteen minutes, while single-mom-with-two-kids now ends up wandering around for another ten, trying to keep track of two kids, not drop tray or spill drinks, AND find a table.

Does it REALLY make sense for customers without food to hold tables, when customers already WITH food then can't find a place to eat?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: