Quantcast "New" Safari

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "New" Safari

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down "New" Safari

OK, so being a former Safari driver, Donna and I headed to AK a coupla weeks ago. But, before we headed there, she had to show me something sad. Out in back of the MK, behind Cast parking, in the trash heap, was BOTH of Wilson's airplanes - minus wings. One was just sitting on top of a dumpster, and the other was just kind of sitting off to the side, rusting away, as some forgotten prop. Yes, there were two of Wilson's planes (one had been in the show the entire time; the other was a spare to replace the first one when it was going down for rehab, but never used).
    We then headed out to AK. We got in the truck - and it started. Our driver was *OK* - not the greatest, but not the worst, either - and believe me, we've been on some BAAAAAD Safaris. So now, there's no reference to Ms. Jobson in the spiel, and, quite shockingly, no references to Big Red or Little Red, either. Just a "lost baby elephant". And, because the poacher trauck hasn't worked in quite some time, they took the "poacher" storyline away, and you don't "chase" them any longer. Instead, you just find the "lost baby elephant" in the back of a truck at the end.

It's really quite sad to see what that attraction has become.
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Jim. That is so disappointing. I am sure the full spiel was still running when we were at AK in May, but in our recent August trip, the standby was over 90 minutes and we would rather have FPs for EE, so we skipped it. I would have been really upset to see that. Is there virtually no storyline now?

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, but I can't say I'm completely surprised. I never really liked that story line in the first place, it was a bit on the tacky/preachy side, and ruined what I thought was a nice tour of an "African Preserve". It seems to me the Safari and the "Preserve" could tell their own story withouth some hoaky made up story of poachers. Don't get me wrong, I agree that the dangers of poaching should be shown, but not necessarily on the actual safari.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We went to AK last week and did the Safari for the first time. Our driver was fine (no other to compare to) and the poacher story line was in her spiel. We did see the baby elephant at the end and the kids thought it was cute. Maybe it depends on the driver or the day of the week.
    Sept 2007 - POR
    Sept/Oct 2009 - POR
    Sept/Oct 2011 - POR
    Sept 2015 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Well, as much as I dislike it, this is what happens to many of the props that are no longer in use in the attractions. I think many people would be surprised and dismayed to hear of the fates of the props from older attractions like Horizons and the original JII. I must confess that I do agree to a certain extent with GrumpyFan - I never really cared much for the poacher subplot, thinking it a bit unnecessary (and sort of "tacked-on" feeling), and will not really miss it. Of course, I might feel differently after riding KS when we return in Nov. - I'll have to wait and see.
    11/08: CBR, Off Site (fam)
    11/07: CSR, Off Site (fam)
    2/06-3/06, 12/06: Off Site (fam)
    10/04: CBR
    5/02: ASMu
    12/01: Off Site
    6/01: CSR (honeymoon)
    3/97: Grovesnor
    2/92, 6/94: CBR
    4/90, 2/91: Off Site
    2/89: HoJo (DD), Off Site
    8/88: Buena Vista Palace
    2/83, 2/84, 2/85, 2/86: Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

Main Street Jim is correct. The storyline has been changed. That annoying Ms Jobson is gone. And the whole thing about Big Red being Shot and Little Red being in the hands of the poachers is also gone. The "radio conversation" between your driver and Wilson in his airplane has been changed. Also, the interlude of African music on the radio comes at a different point on the ride than it used to. We are now asked by Wilson to help look for a baby elephant that has apparently wandered away from the herd. And later we are still alerted by Wilson to the presence of poachers in the area. We still leave the reserve through the crashed gates, race through the poachers camp, and finally come across a truck containing the lost baby elephant (no airplane). I don't mind the change in the storyline. It's still a great ride.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Not impressed either~

When we were there in April, The driver was terrible. I understand it is a ride -but it felt like he would stomp on the gas pedal and then off it, so alternately we were picking our teeth off the back of the seat in front of us. . .then getting whiplash! Any one trying to get pictures was being flung every where and several were actually getting ill.
    We've taken this tour quite a bit and it was never this bad! I, also, hope this is not the new trend, it used to be very neat to do.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

We had the new storyline when we were there and I thought it was the most enjoyable safari yet. It seemed to flow better than it had in the past. Also, the safari is more about the animals for me, so the storyline should take a more minor role. We also had a great driver who was very interactive and attentive. I love the safari, and I still think it's a great time.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that I always hated the poacher storyline too. I am so tired of getting preached to -- especially since there is zilch I can do about African poachers. Looking forward to seeing how much I like the new one in 57 days!!!!
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Poly (04), WL (06), BC (07), AoA (20)
    DL (74, 75, 83, 87, 98, 07, 09. 10)

Magical Journeys is the ONLY way to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    I have to say that I always hated the poacher storyline too. I am so tired of getting preached to -- especially since there is zilch I can do about African poachers.
    Please don't take this as an attack but I think you really shed some light on the story change for me. There are lots of things we can do to help stop poachers in Africa including donating money to Wildlife Conservation Funds and supporting their efferots by visiting places like AK and Zoos around the country. We can stop buying products that support or encourage the need for poaching. So I guess this shows that some of the message was being missed by guests and may have lead to the change in part. I do have to say with the elements removed the storyline makes no sense what so ever. The main reason for the change for the change according a few CMs who work the safari were cost cutting meassures. The plane prop was costly to run and maintain and it also eliminated the ranger standing in front of it with a gun. I have to say even though the old storyline was getting a little stale and tired it was still more cohesive than the new one.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't been on the safari since the new storyline was added. But I can say:

*I'm glad for my DD that they took out the "Big Red is shot, Little Red is taken" element b/c it terrified her! She was absolutely distraught by the "Bambi-esque" story.

*I'll be glad for ME if I can actually HEAR and UNDERSTAND the new story. I don't know if it was the speakers or what, but the whole thing sounded like a bunch of distorted gobbledy-goop to me. I couldn't make out a word of it.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I'm super curious to see what a ride on KS is like now. To be honest with you, the change of story has been a long time coming. I visit often, and in my opinion, it was really distracting really got in the way of just enjoying the safari. I also got tired of hearing the same things over and over again.

ºOºprprincessºOº

WDW-75, 79, 89, 91, 98, 04: Offsite; 01: ASMs & CSR; 02: Dolphin; 03: GF & POR; 06: POFQ & BC; 08: WL; 09: CBR
    DL--97-98: AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Please don't take this as an attack but I think you really shed some light on the story change for me. There are lots of things we can do to help stop poachers in Africa including donating money to Wildlife Conservation Funds and supporting their efferots by visiting places like AK and Zoos around the country. We can stop buying products that support or encourage the need for poaching. So I guess this shows that some of the message was being missed by guests and may have lead to the change in part. I do have to say with the elements removed the storyline makes no sense what so ever. The main reason for the change for the change according a few CMs who work the safari were cost cutting meassures. The plane prop was costly to run and maintain and it also eliminated the ranger standing in front of it with a gun. I have to say even though the old storyline was getting a little stale and tired it was still more cohesive than the new one.
    Okay, fair enough, however, where in the speil do we find out about which products are supporting poaching? Is there anyone who goes to WDW, really, who does not know poaching exists in Africa and Asia? Believe me, my first graders get it in school. To just present the poaching storyline without anything supporting how we combat it, it might as well not be there at all. IMHO, it is a better topic for Conservation Station.

So, if the purpose of the poaching storyline was to make me aware of the things I can do to stop poaching, obviously it failed miserably....
    The only life I can think of that would be worse than being a special needs mom is not being one...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTreeGal View Post
    So, if the purpose of the poaching storyline was to make me aware of the things I can do to stop poaching, obviously it failed miserably....
    Actually if I remember correctly from a Joe Rhode in a interview, I think the imagineers went even further out on a limb and were hoping guest would ask how they can help. Which was even a bigger failure.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Actually if I remember correctly from a Joe Rhode in a interview, I think the imagineers went even further out on a limb and were hoping guest would ask how they can help. Which was even a bigger failure.
    ROFL... figures -- we pleasure minded vacationers aren't in the mood for serious issues, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

They seem to have moved more and more away from the poaching aspect of the story. Need we be reminded that when Kilimanjaro Safaris was in previews they tried a Bambi angle where Big Red wasn't just 'shot' she was literally dead, and not only that, you saw her corpse lying in the grass. So, as far as evolving into a less traumatic experience for children, I'd say it's heading in the right direction.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Post safari

I noticed these audio changes, but thought it was all because we had a giraffe that blocked our trucked for a few minutes. It was funny watching our driver ad-lib, but she did a good job and I got some good pictures. I noticed the planes were gone too. I also noticed almost all the animals were out in droves and this was in the hottest part of the day. My friend on a different day noticed this too.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know they changed it -- will have to watch next month and see if the boys notice it. They really enjoy the end scene with the plane, so we'll have to see if they notice it gone.
    Amanda
    Wishes. Dreams. Magic.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the animals are becoming more accustomed to their Florida living conditions and the Climate and therefore have become much more active. I still remember my first ride on the safari in December 98 and getting off the ride and asking where all the animals were that I saw in the promotional videos.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

The animals continue to be the core of KS. The storyline was never a significant part of the safari.

Periodic changes to the storyline can help prevent this portion of the ride from becoming stale. The changes were o.k., as your role was still to chase the poachers toward Wilson.

KS remains an awesome attraction.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: