Quantcast Digital Camera or Film?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Digital Camera or Film?

As far as my vacation picture taking goes, I have gone strictly digital. I snap pics of anything and everything. I have thousands of pics that I probably would never have taken with a film camera. Some are good, a few great, lots not-so great.

I just got tired of buying/developing film, loading the camera. hoping it's loaded correctly, hoping the film is good, hoping the developers keep track of it...etc...

Now, once we return from a trip, we take a look at all of our digital pics and copy/paste the good ones into a new folder on the computer. We always save all of them, though - good or bad.

It's then very easy to upload them to an online photo center. Sam's Club & Wal-Mart do it as well as some "real" camera shops. You can have them printed, in an hour if you wish, at any location offering the service. For instance, you can take pics in the morning, upload them in the afternoon, and have them ready to pick up down the street and/or across the country in an hour. The prints are way better, IMHO, than any I can print at home and they only cost like 15ą each.

What are your thoughts? Do you use film or have you gone digital too?

Side note: We do use the 35mm underwater disposable cameras for the water parks.
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We're strictly digital at this point.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Digital!

I love being able to take so many pictures and then manipulate them. I crop, zoom in, turn them B&W etc. I would love to have photo shop!

I also love to share all my pictures with family and friends with a quick email link.
    Melissa

4/87 offsite, 3/05 AKL, 10/06 WL, 3/08 GF, 1/09 WL, 3/09 Poly, 10/09 SSR, 1/10 AKV, 10/10 BLT, 12/10 AKV, 2/11 Poly, 5/11 BCV, 10/11 BLT, 12/11 WL, 5/12 1st Cruise on the Dream & BWV, 10/12 BLT!

"...That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." Walt Disney

488.22 miles from Walt Dinsey World - Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like

I use both 35 mm & digital. I had just gotten into photography before the digital camera boom and had bought a really nice 35 mm camera. BUT I love my digital because it's small.
    If I know I'm going to be at a park for just a little while, I'll use my 35 mm camera (it's big). If I'm going to be at a park all day, I use my digital camera.
    I always get my 35 mm pictures put on a cd, so I can bring them home and manipulate them.
    At least 14 trips before 1988
    Off-site - 3-92
    Off-site - 2-01
    ASM - 5-02, 7-03
    CBR - 11-05, 2-10
    Off-site - 2-06
    Pop - 6-06, 2-08
    Poly -12-07
    Cor. S. - 6-2010
    Cor.S. - 10-11

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

AwPhooey is offline Senior Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm 99% digital. The only time I use regular film cameras is when I'm afraid of my good camera getting wet/damaged.

For example, when I went parasailing on my last trip, I bought a disposable Kodak camera so I could take photos while I was up in the air without the fear of dropping a $300 camera into Bay Lake. That would not have been good

Post Thanks / Like

We are digital too

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Salisbury, Md 14 hours, 21 minutes or 903.36 miles From Disney
    Post Thanks / Like

We are all digital here as well. I have learned teh hard way to always have your charger with you though lol as i posted in my very first post my trip report i had to fly home for court half way thru my vacation and my battery died so my dad put my memory card in his phone to show my brother the pics. when i got back to florida i put the camera on teh charger and put the card back in so i would not lose it and my dad's phone had reconfigured the card so i lost all 176 photos of my DDs' 2and 4 and myDBF's first disney trip . thank god my mom was there with her camera and thank god for photopass. our next trip in june the card is not leaving my camera and we plan on doing the pre-trip photopass deal.
    șoș Josette șoș
    ~*~Next up~*~
    November 2015
    Surprise trip(Pop Century)

Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it! -Jack Skellington

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinklover View Post
    We are all digital here as well. I have learned teh hard way to always have your charger with you though lol as i posted in my very first post my trip report i had to fly home for court half way thru my vacation and my battery died so my dad put my memory card in his phone to show my brother the pics. when i got back to florida i put the camera on teh charger and put the card back in so i would not lose it and my dad's phone had reconfigured the card so i lost all 176 photos of my DDs' 2and 4 and myDBF's first disney trip . thank god my mom was there with her camera and thank god for photopass. our next trip in june the card is not leaving my camera and we plan on doing the pre-trip photopass deal.
    What is the pre-trip Photopass deal you mention?
    Tom

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IloveDisney71 View Post
    I always get my 35 mm pictures put on a cd, so I can bring them home and manipulate them.
    Cool...I forgot you could do this with regular film!
    Tom

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

100% Digital

It was actually funny about a month or 2 ago I found a roll of undeveloped 35mm film. After paying to have developed and put on cd (around $15) I didn't even like the pictures they were horrible compared to the digital pictures where if it's something I really want a picture of I can take 10 and pick the best of the bunch. It definately took me back to the days of film rationing and praying they came out ok
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I had to check twice - I thought this post was dated about eight years ago. (Just kidding.)

We're 100% digital. We select our favorite Disney trip photos along with our favorite Disney tunes, put them on a SD card and watch the slide show on the Wii. To do that with 35mm - too much time, too many steps and too much money.
    1995 - Grand Floridian (Honeymoon)
    1997 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
    1998 - All-Star Music
    2005 - All-Star Music & Movies
    2006 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip View Post
    I had to check twice - I thought this post was dated about eight years ago. (Just kidding.)

We're 100% digital. We select our favorite Disney trip photos along with our favorite Disney tunes, put them on a SD card and watch the slide show on the Wii. To do that with 35mm - too much time, too many steps and too much money.
    Yeah it's a topic that I'm sure was hammered to death a few years ago. I brought it up because I saw some folks struggling with film at DLR last month. There was also a post in another thread about a developing company which lost 6 rolls of WDW film/pics. Just curious how many people still used film.

I like your idea with the Wii. I know very little about them - I didn't know they have a SD port We do the same thing except I just burn our pics onto a CD and show them using our DVD player. Sure is a lot simpler these days to show your pics to a group, isn't it? I remember my dad fighting with the slide projector, getting the slides upsidedown or backwards, the slide trays jamming, the focus being off, the pics being washed out. Much better now!!
    Tom

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do both but I got tired of film be double developed or being black so we just use a digital camera now. We are taking our first Disney Trip in March and plan to buy an extra memory card to take along. I will also have my laptop so we can unload the pictures each day.
    We plan to buy the Photopass CD as well. DH says I am the most camera happy person he has ever met. There is nothing my kids have ever done that I don't have a picture of and I can't wait to caputre every minute of their first Disney vacation.

Kim
    Missouri Nurse
    Me (Kim), DH (Kenny), DS (Charlie)
    DD (Kimbra) DD Kaitlyn

March 2008 offsite-First trip Me and Kids
    March 2009 POR First Family Vacation

Post Thanks / Like

I think I am the only person in the entire world without a digital camera! I just haven’t gotten around to buying one. I was going to buy myself one on the day after Thanksgiving but I ended up spending the money on something else. I used to be “anti-digital” because I was into photography and I thought film was the way to do things, but I was young and stupid. Since then I’ve played with friends digital camera’s I realize that digital is the way to go! Hopefully in the next few months I’ll have one!
    șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

What's film?

Post Thanks / Like

We use both. DD12 and I both use digital cameras. DD8 uses an APS film camera - but she'll probably be asking for a digital soon. We have also used the waterproof disposables for the pool / water park. I greatly prefer the digital because I can see what pictures are bad and delete them either directly on the camera or on the computer before I pay to have them developed. I also seem to have trouble actually getting the film somewhere to have it developed and I hate when there's pictures on the roll that can't be developed because the whole roll hasn't been used yet.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

So, we're mostly digital, but there are some times when 35mm just does better than digital, especially low light or high activity events. For vacation? I'll stick with the 2 digital cameras for ease. We have an everyday, somewhat inexpensive Kodak that works decent on most things, but for the good pics, we'll use the SLR. I'm just not allowed to take the SLR by myself just because I dropped our last favorite camera in the ocean. Oooops! It was the shark's fault!
    Okay, so not allowed is a little harsh, but DH would rather I not be in charge of the camera....
    Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next trip...
    May 2016 - Pop Century
    Last trip...
    June 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village
    Many before that I can't remember dates...

Post Thanks / Like

We are 100% digital as well. As others have stated, we enjoy the ability to just snap pics of whatever we want without fear of wasting film. We can always go back and delete the bad ones.

Gosh, I still have about 10 rolls of film that never have been developed - going on like 7-8 years. With digital, it's nice to know that will never happen again.
    DVC Member Since 2000
    1998 - Offsite (Our Honeymoon!)
    1999 - Offsite
    2000 - GF & BWV
    2001 - BWV & OKW
    2002 - OKW
    2003 - OKW
    2004 - OKW
    2005 - OKW & Gaylord Palms
    2006 - OKW & Omni Champions Gate
    Most Recent Magic! - November/December 2007 - OKW & AKL

Post Thanks / Like

My only reference to film, is that it gathers on bathtubs.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

We've been digital for years. The only reason I use film is when I'm taking artistic pictures because I personally feel the resolution is still much better than most less expensive digital cameras.
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: