Quantcast Who still wears them? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Who wears a fanny pack?

Voters
271. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't go to a park without one?

128 47.23%
  • I left that back in the 80's.

143 52.77%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    southern Indiana - 16 hours away from paradise
    Post Thanks / Like

My mom has used a fanny pack since they were first created I believe and I always hated them. I thought she looked so goofy; however, on our WDW trip last summer, I became a believer in the fanny pack...lol
    Mom had brought an extra fanny pack with her just in case I wanted to use it. I laughed at the idea at first but after about a day and a half of carrying my shoulder bag I switched to thea fanny pack. What a difference!!! I loved the fanny pack. It is so much easier especially when you have kids. I have a hard enough time keeping track of them at WDW and having to make sure I had my bag all the time was a hassle.
    As for looking goofy...I'm on vacation so who cares. Besides, I'm a married, 30 year old mother of three...I believe I have earned the right to look as goofy as I want. I'm lucky most days to even get dressed in clothes that match...so trust me, fanny pack really can't make that much difference.
    °0° Lori °0°
    '13--Pop and BCV
    '12--Pop and OKW
    '11--POR and AKV/BLT
    '10--POR
    '09--Pop and BCV -- Our first trip "home"
    '08--Pop and Poly-1st P&PP
    '07--Pop Century - 1st MNSSHP
    '07--ASMu--First family trip
    Many, many trips as a child with my parents

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Great . . .

Wow ~ I've gone from being a dork in the family for going to Disney all the time to being a subspecies of intercot dork for wearing a fanny pak. Well, I still go to Disney no matter what the family thinks so guess I'll stick with the fanny pak, too.
    And for the record, for those who find it funny - my fanny pak IS a Disneyworld one!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I guess old age does not care so much for fashion, go for comfort--I still use a fanny pak and probably always will, at least as long as I can walk!! I use a small one and it holds what I need for the day, I sure see plenty of them at the parks, very handy.

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I've ever worn a fanny pack is when we have a rummage sale. Even then I hate it. I just don't get the adding thickness to your middle thing. But that's just me. The funniest thing is seeing guys who are carrying their fanny pack over their shoulder like a purse.
    "Oh that clock, even HE orders me around!"
    -Cinderella
    ~~~~~~
    Next trip: DLR February 2015
    Last trip: January 2014.
    7 trips to the World.
    1 trip to Disneyland Paris.
    25 trips to Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I went, yes. I'm not there to make a fashion statement and I find it just easier to have some essentials near me and in a small carrying case that is hands free. Hence, the fanny pack.

June '97 Offsite

July '99 Contemporary Resort
    Sept. '11 Off-Site: First Family Trip with our kids
    May '12 Pop Century: Trip with my girls
    February '15 AoA plan in the works for the family
    Mom to DDs 9/05 and 5/08 and DSs 3/10 and 1/13

Post Thanks / Like

So yesterday and Target I bought the green "belt bag" (fanny pack) for $10. It's smaller than my Disneyland fanny pack. But it's big enough for everything I'll be needing to take to the zoo with me this spring and summer (we love the zoo here...it's one of the best in the country.)

You can also adjust the strap and it can be used as a small purse too.

Here's the link again if anyone was interested. It also comes in black, tan, and white.

http://www.target.com/Xhilaration-Be...t%20bag&page=1

Post Thanks / Like

I could never wear one. I worked through college and my early teaching years at a tourist event. I sold tickets from a booth with a waist high counter. After watching hundreds of people fumble around under the counter making faces as they gazed at their crotch I just can't stand waist bags.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I guess Fanny Pack is no more it is now a waist bag, waist pack, or belt bag. At least some places think that sounds way cooler than Fanny Pack and I guess they may be right.

Maybe they should call it a Gut sack or belly purse, I know when I used to wear them I had to shift my gut/belly a little to get at it.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Nope, too small for me (I carry everything lol). I carry a medium sized messenger bag and whoever else is with me carries the camera bag which can't hold much else, so I end up with 2 or 3 people's things in my bag. I probably carry way too much (water bottle, tylenol, bandaids, baby wipes for cooling off, snacks, etc), but oh well
    1994- Offsite
    1995- ASMusic
    1999- Contemporary
    2000- ASMovies
    2005- Pop Century
    2006- POR & AKL
    2010- Pop Century
    Dec 2011- Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Narawen View Post
    Nope, too small for me (I carry everything lol). I carry a medium sized messenger bag and whoever else is with me carries the camera bag which can't hold much else, so I end up with 2 or 3 people's things in my bag. I probably carry way too much (water bottle, tylenol, bandaids, baby wipes for cooling off, snacks, etc), but oh well
    I'd love to hear everything you carry in there. I can't imagine it...haha. I downsized a lot in recent years because I just got sick of lugging stuff around.

Here's my typical list of things I carry into the park:
    sunglasses
    hat
    purell and/or wet ones
    chapstick
    baggie of medications
    kleenex
    cash/id/cards/etc.
    water bottle
    camera and extra batteries

I think that's it.
    June 1987 Offsite WDW
    June 1991 Offsite WDW
    June 1995 All Star Sports
    June 2004 First Disneyland trip
    2005 - 2007 Disneyland AP Holder - visited at least once a week
    August 2007 Anaheim Plaza
    November 2007 Anaheim Plaza
    January 2008 Port Orleans Riverside
    January 2009 Anaheim Plaza

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still not over that amazingly beautiful hot pink one that I had when I was 10.
    I don't like to take anything big with me into the parks. Last time I just used my tiny little camera bag. This time I think I might just get a small messenger bag.
    Karen

2009 ~ Hopefully next trip!
    1/2006 ~Coronado Springs
    12/1999 ~Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Bee View Post
    I'd love to hear everything you carry in there. I can't imagine it...haha. I downsized a lot in recent years because I just got sick of lugging stuff around.

Here's my typical list of things I carry into the park:
    sunglasses
    hat
    purell and/or wet ones
    chapstick
    baggie of medications
    kleenex
    cash/id/cards/etc.
    water bottle
    camera and extra batteries

I think that's it.

Ooh let's see if I can remember. Last time I went was almost 18 months ago (dying to go back).

It was just me and my mom, she carried a camera bag with my camera, 2 extra lenses, batteries, and her sunglasses. I carried:
    2 water bottles
    tickets
    park map and schedule
    my sunglasses
    baby wipes (we love using them to cool off, and they come in handy if you discover too late the stall is out of TP)
    Mom's wallet
    My wallet
    pain meds just in case
    band aids
    extra socks
    character autograph book and pen (though now we really only use it at character dining)
    cell phone
    granola bars (in case we got hungry and no snack carts were appealing)
    gum
    sunscreen
    mini hair brush and ponytail holders
    any small souveniers bought that day
    ponchos
    in the evening a lightweight jacket/sweater

I think I got it all, may have forgotten a thing or two. Next time I'm going to scale way back. I didn't have trouble on any rides except space mountain, but I had the strap wrapped around my arm 3 times and was holding on for dear life because it wouldn't entirely fit in the space next to me.
    1994- Offsite
    1995- ASMusic
    1999- Contemporary
    2000- ASMovies
    2005- Pop Century
    2006- POR & AKL
    2010- Pop Century
    Dec 2011- Coronado Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Narawen View Post
    Ooh let's see if I can remember. Last time I went was almost 18 months ago (dying to go back).

It was just me and my mom, she carried a camera bag with my camera, 2 extra lenses, batteries, and her sunglasses. I carried:
    2 water bottles
    tickets
    park map and schedule
    my sunglasses
    baby wipes (we love using them to cool off, and they come in handy if you discover too late the stall is out of TP)
    Mom's wallet
    My wallet
    pain meds just in case
    band aids
    extra socks
    character autograph book and pen (though now we really only use it at character dining)
    cell phone
    granola bars (in case we got hungry and no snack carts were appealing)
    gum
    sunscreen
    mini hair brush and ponytail holders
    any small souveniers bought that day
    ponchos
    in the evening a lightweight jacket/sweater

I think I got it all, may have forgotten a thing or two. Next time I'm going to scale way back. I didn't have trouble on any rides except space mountain, but I had the strap wrapped around my arm 3 times and was holding on for dear life because it wouldn't entirely fit in the space next to me.
    On our trip to WDW in January...we decided to just get a locker every day. It was only $5 and well worth it, I think. We put a backpack with rain gear, sweatshirts, and other random things we knew we wouldn't need all day. We also put a couple super cold (half frozen) bottles of water in the locker too so we could get them when ours ran out. (Water at the parks is so expensive so we ordered a case of 24 bottles for about $7.) I hate carrying my water bottle so I bought one of those straps on our first day and it was wonderful!

Basically I was happy we had a locker so I didn't need to carry as much around the parks all day. And I didn't even have to take my fanny pack off for any of the rides...so that was nice.
    June 1987 Offsite WDW
    June 1991 Offsite WDW

Post Thanks / Like

when i was was there back in jan. i wore a draw string bag that i had gotten at ron jon and it was just the right size to use for everything. it was easy and not as bad as using a big bag.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore one all the time back before small children caused the need for a backpack. Now we have to carry diapers, formula, juice, food and anything else necessary to keep a 1 - 2 year old happy.
    I tell you this, though, as soon as we DON'T have to carry all that stuff I will be back to my fanny pack. It is way too convenient to not have.
    We're almost complete...
    Disney Magic
    Polynesian
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Port Orleans
    Yacht Club
    Beach Club
    Wilderness Lodge
    Grand Floridian
    Contemporary
    Dixie Landings
    Animal Kingdom
    Boardwalk
    AS Sports/Music/Movies
    Pop Century
    Disney Institute
    Fort Wilderness

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I do wear one. But, in my defense, the one I have is really quite small. I don't carry much. My park passes, a mini hair brush, a smaller version of my wallet with the bare necessities, a tube of sunblock, and my cell phone. That's pretty much it. Although, our new camera is so small that it might fit in there too.

For those of you in your teens and twenties who don't have kids...you might feel differently when you do have little ones in tow to take care of. The last thing I want is to have to carry anything that will slow me down.

Post Thanks / Like

Happily we no longer use them, but for many years my mom strapped a fanny pack on both herself and me, loaded down with all sort of random Things We Might Need (side note: my brother and I were old enough that many of the things that babies and young children need weren't necessary).

Finally managed to get mom to stop carrying the fanny pack during the last two trips. The first one of which she brought a large messanger bag, the second of which she brought nothing her pockets couldn't carry. She was much happier at the end of the day than she used to be

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Goofy View Post
    That is funny. I wear a fanny pack at Disney "ONLY". I don't seem to understand the "snobbery" towards those that wear a fanny pack. It's not like people wear them everyday. It's easy; it's convenient; and it's realtively hassle free.

What do you "backpack people" do with your big bags when you go on a ride like Space Mountain, Everest, Splash, etc.?

What do you "cargo short people" do with your things when you go on the wet rides like the one at AK and Splash. Doesn't everything get wet?

To me, the fanny pack may not be the "coolest" thing to wear, but at Disney it is by far the most practical.

I agree, I don't think I ever see someone outside Disney wearing a fanny pack, but for a long day at the park it works. I do all of these, depending on what I'm bringing with me to the park, or if I'm carrying things for other people.

I have a small fanny pack that I wear when I'm at places like Disney. Though I do wear cargo shorts as well. I find the fanny packs more comfortable then having a lot of heavy things in all of my pockets. Also, they do keep things dryer then putting them in your pockets. Though I also have a water proof fanny pack that I have used at WDW during the rainy summer. I also sometimes use backpacks. Most of the rides like Space Mountain or Everest, I can put the bag between my legs and put the straps over my legs. If I'm at Disney, I'm usually doing one of the three.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    I agree, I don't think I ever see someone outside Disney wearing a fanny pack, but for a long day at the park it works. I do all of these, depending on what I'm bringing with me to the park, or if I'm carrying things for other people.

I have a small fanny pack that I wear when I'm at places like Disney. Though I do wear cargo shorts as well. I find the fanny packs more comfortable then having a lot of heavy things in all of my pockets. Also, they do keep things dryer then putting them in your pockets. Though I also have a water proof fanny pack that I have used at WDW during the rainy summer. I also sometimes use backpacks. Most of the rides like Space Mountain or Everest, I can put the bag between my legs and put the straps over my legs. If I'm at Disney, I'm usually doing one of the three.
    I wear a fanny pack in places other than Disney. Well...just when we go to the zoo.

I leave my fanny pack on for all the rides. Usually the bar will just go over the top of it. Or on something like Everest I just slide the pack so it's on my side instead of in front of me. It works pretty well.

This is just my opinion...but even though fanny packs are pretty geeky looking...I think that cargo shorts/pants with full bulging pockets tend to look even geekier. Not that it matters or anything. It's just Disney.
    June 1987 Offsite WDW
    June 1991 Offsite WDW

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. If I loaded up my cargo shorts with stuff that I would put in a fanny pack, my shorts would probably fall off!

Also, I can't carry a backpack all day with all of the walking. My back can't handle it.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: