Quantcast Let the Puck Drop! Official NHL Playoff Thread - Page 15

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MMouse6937 View Post
    Gretsky is one of the least classy "post" players I have ever seen.
    Can't say I disagree there. I was speaking solely of the way he conducted himself on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    As for small markets, doesn't Detroit have one of the largest fan bases in the entire NHL? From what I remember they are one of the leagues most marketable teams.
    Detroit is a small T.V. market. Being one of the NHL most marketable teams means nothing on a national level. I'm talking big market teams like L.A. and NY franchises.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    I think that is moreso because the NHL is not as popular as it was during the Gretsky and Lemiuex years.
    I agree and we have one person to blame for that Gary Bettman. He tried to make the NHL into the NBA.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

To all the Flyers fans who are stabbing at the Pens almost leaving Pittsburgh:

WAAAAA WAAAA WAAA WAAAAAA!!!!!

You guys are just upset because not only did the Flyers loose, but they were down right embarrassed! You keep blaming the refs favoring Crosby, but when you loose 6-0 and only win one game in the series, the ref calls didn't loose you the games.

Point is, if your not a fan of the team who has the "superstar" your going to make excuses and nit pick at that team.

Be happy the flyers made it this far! I think you guys in Philly deserve congrats on the amazing turnaround your team made this season and you have nothing to be ashamed of. So quit your crying and use the loss as fuel so we can have a re-match next year.
    NEXT TRIP Dec. 2009!!

Past Trips:
    Summer 1979 - Disneyland (only 3 yrs old!)
    Summer 1989 - Disneyland
    June 1993 -Disneyland
    Aug. 2007 - WDW ASMu
    Aug. 2008 - WDW ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

This series has the potential for some high scoring games as neither goaltender is dominant. The Red Wings are the only team that has flashed greatness. If they play at this level, they will win in 5 games.

I was surprised to see the complaints about the frequent Flyers comments. I am a mostly partial observer( my team is the Flyers, but I was more interested in the 1980's and 1990's Flyers teams). This is an open forum, why can't someone discuss their team? Is it our resident Flyers fans fault that all teams do not generate the same level of interest?

There is nothing wrong with taking some some shots at other teams, that makes a discussion interesting. The one man team(Devils-Brodeur) has long since been eliminated. Crosby needs to play up to the hype, he would be third line at best on Gretzky's Oilers teams of the 1980's.

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing wrong with taking some some shots at other teams, that makes a discussion interesting. The one man team(Devils-Brodeur) has long since been eliminated. Crosby needs to play up to the hype, he would be third line at best on Gretzky's Oilers teams of the 1980's.
    I agree 100% stickey. Crosby needs to play a higher level game to live up to his status. The days of the one man teams is certainly over and hockey in general still has to get back to the greatness and popularity of the 80s and 90s
    NEXT TRIP Dec. 2009!!

Past Trips:
    Summer 1989 - Disneyland
    June 1993 -Disneyland
    Aug. 2007 - WDW ASMu
    Aug. 2008 - WDW ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by letsdoitagain View Post

Yay! Someone with a sense of humor.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are just upset because not only did the Flyers loose, but they were down right embarrassed! You keep blaming the refs favoring Crosby, but when you loose 6-0 and only win one game in the series, the ref calls didn't loose you the games.
    No, no, no - I've never blamed the refs or injuries for the Flyers loss to the Pens.
    The Pens won because were the better team. Again, I picked them to win the Cup.
    I also think Crosby is the best player in the NHL.

But that doesn't change the fact the Pens almost left because the fairweather fans in Pittsburgh didn't show up at the rink.

I think the Flyers-Pens rivalry is going to be a good one for awhile.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

But that doesn't change the fact the Pens almost left because the fairweather fans in Pittsburgh didn't show up at the rink.
    The reason the pens were going to leave was because Mellon Arean is well over 30 years old. The oldest area in the entire league. If you have ever been there the place is a dump!

There are many fair weather fans here, that's true as there are in a loe of other places. The problem is that we bleed black and gold here for the Steelers. Pittsburgh is a HUGE football town, so if your a team playing another sport, like hockey, we aren't going to waste our time on you if you don't perform well. Look at the Pirates. They're terrible, have been for many years now and attendance is very low at their games, but they're not threatening to leave. Why? Becase they got PNC Park, very new.

Anyway, who cares if the pens almost left. The fact is they didn't and we're glad to have them here. Maybe if they can keep getting into the playoffs on a more consistent basis, like the Steelers, Pittsburgh might share some of the football love with hockey.
    NEXT TRIP Dec. 2009!!

Past Trips:
    Summer 1989 - Disneyland
    June 1993 -Disneyland
    Aug. 2007 - WDW ASMu
    Aug. 2008 - WDW ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    <snip> And the Red Wings had trouble selling out their arena this post season, when they are supposed to be "Hockeytown USA."
    This is true, but the economy has a lot to do with that. A lot of people just can't afford to shell out what they are asking for playoff tickets.

As for ratings for this series and the size of the Detroit market, keep in mind that many, many Wings fans choose to watch the Finals on CBC rather than the (IMO lousy) US TV coverage. Our TV market size can't be judged soley based on US ratings because of that. For those of you who haven't seen a game covered by Canadian TV, let me assure you that their coverage (camera angles, commentary, etc.) is far superior to what we see in the US. Our local Detroit coverage is similar to CBC, but we get switched to national coverage after the second round.

Unfortunately for my family, we have satellite TV, and will be stuck with NBC, Versus, or whatever other channel(s) may be showing the games.

GO WINGS!!
    Tammy

8/78, 5/88, 3/90, 3/94 - WDW - Off-Site
    5/86, 7/91, 3/99 - DL - Off-Site
    10/97, 7/98 - WDW - Poly
    7/01 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #1
    2/02 - WDW - WL
    7/03 - WDW - Poly - surprise b-day trip
    12/04 - WDW - Poly - cancer recovery #2
    1/06 - WDW - Poly - surprise 6th b-day for DD

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Once again TOTAL domination! Should have been 5-0 if it hadn't been for that stupid call on Holmstrom. Basically he's called for interference even if he's sitting on the bench when they score, it's a joke.

The Pens look pretty weak, they better, they HAVE to play better next game, we'll see. Did you see poor Fleury fall when he was coming out onto the ice, there was a big pile up behind him Poor guy, that has to stink when you're the visiting team.

And, OMG is that the best "beard" Crosby can grow!!

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

The Kids: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MMouse6937 View Post
    Once again TOTAL domination! Should have been 5-0 if it hadn't been for that stupid call on Holmstrom. Basically he's called for interference even if he's sitting on the bench when they score, it's a joke.

The Pens look pretty weak, they better, they HAVE to play better next game, we'll see. Did you see poor Fleury fall when he was coming out onto the ice, there was a big pile up behind him Poor guy, that has to stink when you're the visiting team.

And, OMG is that the best "beard" Crosby can grow!!

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!
    I certainly didn't think it was total domination but the Wings did outplay the Pens who couldn't seem to capitalize on the chances they had. Fleury certainly made his fair share of mistakes - maybe that fall messed with his head. I didn't quite understand some of the penalty calls - they were calling some pretty questionable stuff and letting other, more blatant things go - on both sides.

And yes, pathetic as it is, it seems that's the best Crosby can do in the beard department. Even his best friend was interviewed on Pittsburgh tv making fun of it. I guess that's what you get when you've barely hit puberty!
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was a bad omen when Marc Andre Fleury tripped and fell the first time he stepped onto Detroit's ice. Anyway, I do think the Red Wings looked pretty dominant. I mean pens didn't fold up or anything but as I said at one point earlier in the thread the Wings are just unstoppable and I didn't see anyone beating them. I stand by that. The first period Pens dominated the play a bit more, but after the teams felt each other out Detroit just zeroed in. Their forecheck was great, and their D clogged the neutral zone nicely. The Holmstrom call was definitely iffy.

As for Crosby's beard, does he know that the more you shave the thicker it grows back? He should just shave it everyday for the next year and hope that he can grow a nice one for the 09 playoffs. This one is an embarrassment to the league!
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say the Penguins looked like the lack of playoff experience caught up to them last night. Was Crosby even on the ice?
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, if that's not total domination I don't know what is. The Wings are unstoppable.

I have to say I am very disappointed that the Pens couldn't show a little more showmanship in the face of a loss. Punching Franzen in the face and plowing into Osgood is not going to help their cause. It really shows me the young versus the old team. You need to win and lose gracefully, but getting nasty on the ice doesn't do anyone any favors.

I fully expect the Pens to win at least one game, I don't think this will be a sweep, but at this point it's looking easier and easier!

Well, off the Pitts for Game 3, bring it on!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, I'm at work and didn't get to see any of the game. I understand they looked pretty stinky though. Hopefully they'll turn it around at home. On the plus side, Fleury made it to the net without falling out of the tunnel this time.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Definately not looking too bright for the Penguins right now. The frustration and and lack of playoff experience has been and will continue to be their downfall in this series.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I feel about this series much the same way I felt about last year's NFL playoff game between the Giants and the Cowboys. No matter who wins, I'm going to be disappointed.

But I have to say I am getting some satisfaction in seeing the Pens get kicked around a little. They seemed to be pretty darn arrogant after taking the East, so watching them get knocked down a peg or two isn't the worst thing in the world!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Pens have a full plate on their hands...that's for sure. By the time they figure the Red Wings out, they will have lost the series....much to my dissapointment. They need to score some goals! Being shut out twice is pathetic. Hopefully they will have better luck on home ice.

The wings have the advantage because most of the team has played together for years and have won multiple cups together. The Pens are young and inexperienced. They just need to settle down and beat on the wings a little harder. They need to smack them around and do some of their own hard hitting!

COME ON PENS! YOU CAN DO IT!
    NEXT TRIP Dec. 2009!!

Past Trips:
    Summer 1989 - Disneyland
    June 1993 -Disneyland
    Aug. 2007 - WDW ASMu
    Aug. 2008 - WDW ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

They need to smack them around and do some of their own hard hitting!
    The Pens don't exactly have the hard hitting beat'em up type team
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    The Pens don't exactly have the hard hitting beat'em up type team
    Exactly and I don't think that's the way you should try to win a game or show your displeasure at not winning. By punching someone in the face that has concussion symptoms and knocking down the goalie, you're not going to get anywhere other than in trouble. If they would just play better it wouldn't be an issue, I don't think becoming goons is the way out of this situation for the Pens.

But then again, they can keep it up for two more games and then we'll gladly take our cup and go home!
    Sarah

Next Trips:
    09/08 - CBR
    12/08 - BC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: