Quantcast Newsletter 4/10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Newsletter 4/10

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Newsletter 4/10

Yavn's got an update to the recent announcement about the future of VMK.

Hello again.

So it's been a difficult past few days for all of us. I know many of you are upset – some upset with me, some upset with the company, and lots of you just plain upset. Many of you are still struggling to understand the decision we made to close Virtual Magic Kingdom. We hear you and we share your concern and sorrow.

We have received an incredible outpouring of emotion regarding the decision and wish we could respond to each of you. Unfortunately, it's impossible to respond to you all individually. But please know, we're touched by your concerns and feel your heartache.

We hear you and we share your concern and sorrow.

In addition to the concerned and upset players who have contacted us, many of you have called or emailed to thank us for running the product as long as we did. We're glad that you have had a chance to enjoy it and will continue to do so for these next few weeks.

Please know that the decision to close VMK was not made without a great deal of thought and discussion – because we loved creating VMK just as much as you loved playing it. We considered many options prior to closing but ultimately determined that VMK had accomplished its goal and then some. VMK was a valuable part of the Disneyland 50th Celebration, but it was never meant to live on forever. It's now time to focus our resources on our new virtual worlds.

Our company encourages innovation and creativity – as Walt said, "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." That's what we plan to do now, and we really hope you will also continue to join us.

I know many of you are upset that you'll be losing your friends, and we hear you. To that end, we're working on a way for VMK players to be able to recognize other VMK players while visiting on Disney.com and playing in our other virtual communities. Stay with us for news about that in the coming weeks.

While I'm on that topic, please remember that during this time you will see other sites that pop up – some that look very much like VMK – asking for your email and character name to support an effort to keep the game alive. These are not Disney sites and are in no way affiliated with or endorsed by The Walt Disney Company. You are putting your online safety at risk (not to mention getting an inbox full of spam) by sharing personal information like your email with these sites.

Please enjoy VMK while you can, and let's all be thankful that we got to enjoy the game for as long as we did. We thank you for being part of this journey with us! And we hope we continue to see you at Disney.com and in our other online worlds enjoying what we imagine next!

Hey, we've still got a month and a half left to run the game, and we still have plenty of magic left. Let's enjoy it!

See you in the game,

-Yavn

Questions? We've prepared this Q&A:

Why is this happening? Why are you closing Virtual Magic Kingdom?

As Yavn mentioned in the Newsletter, VMK was created and launched as part of a promotion to celebrate Disneyland's 50th Anniversary.
    The game/promotion has ran well beyond the original time it was intended to.

When is the last time I can play?

The game will close at 10:00PM PST, Wednesday, May 21st, 2008.

Will I still be able to buy cards and pins in the Parks?

Yes, you can still buy VMK Cards and Pins at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Parks while supplies last but after May 21st, 2008 the codes will no longer work in the game.

What will happen to the game and the website?

The website will remain up for a few weeks to let people know what has happened, but you will not be able to log into the game after May 21th, 2008.

What will happen to all my virtual stuff in VMK?

Since the virtual items live only in VMK, you won't be able to access your VMK items or take them with you to another Disney Online Virtual World.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd really wish they'd stop using this quote from Walt.

But I'm glad our letters are not going unopened they have obviously seen them!
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb26 View Post
    I'd really wish they'd stop using this quote from Walt.
    How many times can they say concern and upset in one newsletter? Nothing new, though. Same basic stuff; we're really sad about this, there's nothing you can do about it, play something else for a change.. yada yada yada. Whether we like it or not, Yavn is pretty solid on this
    Inferno. RIP VMK.
    -Happiest Place On Earth

Post Thanks / Like

That qoute or should I say misquote of Walt really makes me sick to my stomach. If that was how Walt really felt when WDW was completed Disneyland should have closed down.
    Walt is one of my idols and has inspired more than anyone. I have read every book about him and can't get enough information about him and I can say that using that quote in the context they are shows they have no clue about their heritage and what Walt was all about.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I can only say Sorry Walt for what has become a nightmare from your dream.
    Melinda - Greet each day with a smile

Post Thanks / Like

Although I appreciate Yavn's efforts in this whole situation, I think a lot of people are disappointed and upset and I guess this was just a confirmation that there is not much that can be done at this point to save VMK, unfortunately. I think we should stop worrying about this and enjoy the limited time we have left on VMK.
    Chris
    "WDWizard"

Last Trip: Disney's Hollywood Studios/Blizzard Beach June 2008

Next Trip: Not anytime soon. Been there, seen it all, have too many t-shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

They should honestly just stop trying to make us feel better that the game is going away by telling us that we should feel lucky for the game being open for as long as it has been. Unless they got news of it staying open, they shouldn't even say anything else on the topic.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

If anything I think it should give us hope. They do know how we the players feel. It's not time to give up, This has to be taken up to the next and highest level of disney management!
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milklady View Post
    I can only say Sorry Walt for what has become a nightmare from your dream.

Hey that would make for some 'interesting' news stories:

Newspaper - "Walt Disney's Dream Becomes Nightmare for 250,000 People"

TV - "Walt Disney's Happiest Place on Earth Becomes Nightmare for 250,000 People...more at 10..."

Quote Originally Posted by terri.m View Post
    If anything I think it should give us hope. They do know how we the players feel. It's not time to give up, This has to be taken up to the next and highest level of disney management!
    terri.m, I think headlines are the only thing that could possibly catch corporate attention. It unfortunately seems that money and bad press (that has actually been released) can get more than a canned planned response.

...sigh...

At Least I may get my 600th post in before VMK closes...
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    World of Tanks - jjramsey
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    1 month at one time! - '02
    2 wks - '03
    2 wks - '04 - during two of the hurricanes
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...just thought of something!

Wonder how those people that spent megabucks on eBay are feeling about their VMK purchases now?
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    2 wks - '03
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

I know what their ways of communicated with your friend is, we are already doing it. When you log into Disney.com, you will see an area on the right top that says XD. What you do is create a login and the account you tie to that would be the character(s) that can communicate.

Currently XD is working in Toontown and Pirates Online (well sometimes, seems like its down more than up). So what happens is you can chat with your friends in disney.com XD like a messenger service. I've been told on toontown you can talk to your friends. The purpose in Pirates is we are limited to 50 friends. These XD friends don't count toward the 50 and you see their XD name on your friends list when they come up. Its got some bugs in it, but they seem to be working that out.

What I would like to see is our ability to keep our avatars from VMK somehow. But that's a wish that may never come true.

Post Thanks / Like

My only issue with XD, is most of it is only available to the USA.

Also.. that is one on one. Hardly the same as entering a setting together.

I'll send chescat a friend code and see if she can chat with me in XD.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Yavn's message above...

blah,blah,blah...

I am most upset with the fact that VMK was never postioned as a "temporary" game. It is ridiculous that they are now trying to make it seem as if this was always the case. Who is to say that Pirates or Toontown or any of these other "NEW VIRTUAL WORLDS" will last longer than the whims of the designer or corporates. I guess we all just have to be careful and warn our children not to get too wrapped up in any of Disney's online games as we never know when they will decide to just shut it down. This experience has made me lose faith in Disney's online internet group.
    ~Lisa aka Tinkermom

DVC Member since 05/01

Most Recent Trips:
    12/28/12-1/4/13 OKW to watch our son and his HS marching band on Main Street on NYE!
    7/13/12-7/17/12 Vero Beach & 7/17/12-7/23/12 WLVs

Next up: 5/28-6/12 Vero Beach (Beach Cottage!)/Fort Myers/Treehouse Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
    Who is to say that Pirates or Toontown or any of these other "NEW VIRTUAL WORLDS" will last longer than the whims of the designer or corporates.

I agree! Who would figure that VMK would close down, rather than Club Penguin and considering the low quality of CP, who is to say it won't shut down as soon as they roll out their 'newer' worlds. Considering the feelings we all have about VMK, can you imagine how people are going to feel about losing their inventory after paying for x number of years only to be told, "Sorry folks! As Walt said...it is time to move on to bigger and better!"

By the way that "Walt" argument stinks! Let's use that same logic in another style and see if you can 'imagine' this happening in a Disney conference room...

...Hmmm...WDW Magic Kingdom (the real park) has been around an awefully long time! Lets buy Fun Spot (small family amusement park across town) and shut down the Magic Kingdom. This way all of our customers will be forced into this inexpensive (cheap) park, as well as our other parkks! ...What?...The reason to waste all the time and money building the Magic Kingdom?...Hey! We have to stay with the times and upgrade to bigger and better things! Sure, we are Disney...People will be happy to pay $80 bucks to go to a cheap amusement park!!!! Imagine, we will make a killing!!!!!!
    ...we will pull the curtain on the end of that corporate exec...

The problem is it seems that this is what is happening between the choice of VMK and Club Penguin!

I had set up a character in Club Penguin and went on to show it to the family...they were "You have got to be kidding!!!!!! This is Disney!!!!!! They want us to pay for this!!!!!" They were so shocked, that they didn't know whether to roll on the floor laughing or to cry
    VMK - Electro_Stitch
    VFK was - ElectroStitch

WDW:
    1 wk - '92
    1 wk - '93
    1 day - '00
    2 wks - '01
    2 wks - '03
    4+ wks - '06
    2+ wks - '07
    2 wks - '10
    2 wks - '11

...the next trip is...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Revised Newsletter 4/11

Please notice that they revised the newsletter yesterday and these three paragraphs that they took out of the one from 4/10 are the one's we were most mad about:

Our company encourages innovation and creativity – as Walt said, "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." That's what we plan to do now, and we really hope you will also continue to join us.

I know many of you are upset that you'll be losing your friends, and we hear you. To that end, we're working on a way for VMK players to be able to recognize other VMK players while visiting on Disney.com and playing in our other virtual communities. Stay with us for news about that in the coming weeks.

While I'm on that topic, please remember that during this time you will see other sites that pop up – some that look very much like VMK – asking for your email and character name to support an effort to keep the game alive. These are not Disney sites and are in no way affiliated with or endorsed by The Walt Disney Company. You are putting your online safety at risk (not to mention getting an inbox full of spam) by sharing personal information like your email with these sites.
    Reportedly, they deleted the paragraph about other games around 10:25AM PST Yesterday, and then they deleted the other two paragraphs around 3:00PM PST.
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

How many times do they keep trying to cover up their mistakes? We're mad about it, not dumbo.
    Inferno. RIP VMK.
    -Happiest Place On Earth

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: