Quantcast Caught Shoplifting!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Caught Shoplifting!

What would you do if you were in a store, i.e. target/walmart and saw a family shoplifting.
    I was at Walmart
    tonight I needed batteries, I was in the video game section and I see a "father" sitting on the floor with 3 kids about 5-9 years old standing next to him.
    Behind him and the kids are"mom, Grandmother and Uncle"
    The adults are standing in a semi circle around dad and the kids. I see Dad opening the video games and giving the game itself to the various children. He is then putting the empty package way back on the bottom shelf.
    I know that they were shop lifting as I saw the whole thing going down. I heard the "dad" asking the kids which games they wanted.

So.... before I tell you what I chose to do, tell me how you would have handled this situation.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Videocammed them with my phone for a while and found a CS rep form Walmart.

I hope you were not identified as the one who turned them in.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

I actually also would turn them in. Been there, done that. I even had to fill out a statement for the prosecution but it was worth it. Shoplifters are the reason we pay more and more every day.
    °o° Traci ¨¨*:•

Next up, hopefully, Just me & my Honey Sept. 9-14 ASMu celebrating 30 yrs and my b-day. Thanks Denise from MJ :) for the help so far & answering all my stupid questions.

Countless previous trips

Post Thanks / Like

i work at walmart so I would have called the big man and might have gotten a raise.
    SEPT 6 -14 por AB

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely would've reported them. Until I started working in retail myself I didn't realize how much even the smallest stolen good can affect the entire store. People are crafty and it's hard for workers to catch them so it's nice if other customers help out once in a while.
    You shouldn't even need to take video with your phone. Even if someone isn't monitoring the video all the time, I can almost guarantee that there was a camera on them and all it takes is one person to notify someone so they can go back and check the tape.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wouldn't have stood around to watch. I would have acted like I saw nothing and then went and told security or an employee.

One time I got caught in the middle of 2 guys and a bunch of Target security. I saw these guys looking over their shoulders and whispering to each other, and running around the aisles. Seconds later, a bunch of plainclothes Target security people came rushing past looking for them. I just tried to stay out of the way.

Another time I saw a couple of people with a cart full of electronics running through the Target parking lot (different Target) and a car speeding across the lot. It stopped, they threw the stuff in, jumped in, and sped away. By that time it was too late for me to really do anything, but I know about that particular Target's security system and I KNOW they had the whole thing on camera - including the parking lot bit.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I work at Ikea, and I've been told that there are rewards for catching shoplifters as well. Unfortunately I haven't caught any yet, though I find their evidence every day...
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have turned them in for sure.
    I used to work at Victoria's Secret in college and it is amazing what people will steal and also what people would try to return after wearing (YUCK!).
    Then it means higher prices for everyone else and more work for the employees who have to tag every piece of merchandise with those anti theft devices. Dishonest people ruin things for everyone else!

Kristin

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

That's really hard to answer, kinda. For me, it depends on what they were stealing. If it were food, necessary foods like baby foods or vegetables, and I felt like they really needed it, no I wouldn't report them, but it still doesn't make it right for them to do it.

But in this case it was nothing more than a video game. That is pure greed on their part. You better believe I would let someone know. It sets a bad example for the kids. I'm the type though that would tell, then stalk them through out the store. And if all else fails, I would make sure they knew I saw what they did. One of my friends used to work for Wal-Mart as a pharmacist and detailed how their security works and the chances are that the family would walk. But my objective would be to let them know that there are people out there who don't take shoplifting lightly and naively hoping that they would think about it before they tried to steal something again.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I would have told a Walmart employee what I just saw, and hoped that they would do something about it.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessjojo View Post
    I'm the type though that would tell, then stalk them through out the store. And if all else fails, I would make sure they knew I saw what they did.

But my objective would be to let them know that there are people out there who don't take shoplifting lightly and naively hoping that they would think about it before they tried to steal something again.
    I'm not sure I would want them to know I turned them in. They are brazen enough to be shoplifting with their children on the floor of a Walmart...what else are they willing to do that is illegal?
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Theft is theft; even if you didn't report it and the persons weren't caught by security. Eventually they will have to answer for their sins

The 10 commandments come from Exodus 20:1-17. Here is the verse:

And God spoke all these words, saying: "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

8. You shall not steal.

They are good, basic laws that will help keep us right before God, and also help keep us out of trouble with ourselves, our families, our friends and our neighbors.

And if they are stealing necessary items like food or whatever, there are places to get if FREE, like churches, soup kitchens, etc. I hope you didn't confront the thieves and put yourself in harm’s way.
    ---------------------------------
    DVC Member Since 04/08 Animal Kingdom Villas

CS 5/2010, SS 4/2010, AKV 11/2009, BW 5/2009,
    SS 2/2009, SS 10/2008, POR 7/2008, WC 8/2007
    POR 12/2006, POR 10/2005, POR 10/2004, FW 10/2002
    FW 10/1993, OS 12/1989

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgesgirl1 View Post
    I would have turned them in for sure.
    I used to work at Victoria's Secret in college and it is amazing what people will steal and also what people would try to return after wearing (YUCK!).

Kristin

Throwing up in my mouth
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I hope they are prosecuted for their actions. I probably would have went to management or something like that.
    Next Trip: 2008 (hoping and praying)
    POR-August 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I would have gone directly to the nearest employee and reported what I had seen.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Most definately report it. They need to be punished and to have the children involved how stupid. Ooh that just makes me mad.
    STEELER SUPERBOWL CHAMPS: 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, and 2008 !

[SIZE="1"]1978 OFF SITE CAMPING
    JUNE 2004 POR
    JULY 2005 POR
    AUGUST 2006 POR
    JUNE - JULY 2007 POR
    DEC 2008- JAN 2009 POR
    JUNE 2009 POR
    JUNE 2010 POR
    JANUARY 2011 POP CENTURY
    APRIL 2011 Planning Stages

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely report it and hope they take action. Nothing would be more satisfying than seeing 5 adults get arrested and their children taken from them by Social Services for being stupid.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

that's really hard to answer, kinda. For me, it depends on what they were stealing. If it were food, necessary foods like baby foods or vegetables, and I felt like they really needed it, no I wouldn't report them, but it still doesn't make it right for them to do it.
    Doesn't matter, theft is theft. I am sure that someone in that family is in good enough shape to get a job.
    " I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we are in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time." Calvin & Hobbes

Post Thanks / Like

I also would have turned them in. There is no excuse for shoplifting, and come on people how horrible to be involving the kids.
    I saw someone hit a parked car once and reported it. DH said I should have minded my own business but I told him what if it was our car and someone had seen it.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

I would definitely have reported them, as fast as I could. It's one thing (sort-of) when, like what another poster wrote, people are stealing out of necessity - food from a market, that kind-of thing. But video games?? Pure & simple greed.

But what REALLY makes me mad is the father doing it in front of his kids and involving them in it... it's bad enough he's doing it, period. But to use them as shields and teach them... that is purely vile to me. To me, he is no father in that situation, but just a criminal passing on his tools of the trade. How very, very sad.

I truly hope they got caught -- it's sad when a store has to teach children their morals.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: