Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney - Page 10

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    i would tend to think it is "cash register intensive"....

just a gut feeling
    It probably is, but intensive doesn't mean all of it. With places like Raglan Road doing well, guaranteed, there will be more.

BTW...I bet Adventurers Club has a cash register

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe Disney has watched WALL E
    anyone else seen it & get what Im inferring?
    I still havent heard whats happening w the CMs?
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineC68 View Post
    I thought families come in all shapes and sizes -- shame on me for thinking that my husband and I constituted a family. I didn't think that adults wanting to spend an evening with only adults meant we would be banished from The World. And I must have been crazy for thinking our vacation dollars are as valuable as those coming from family with children.

Well said.

Guess DH and I aren't worthy of family status either.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SurferStitch View Post

Well said.

Guess DH and I aren't worthy of family status either.
    Well, I'm single and have no kids. You'd better believe I'm not family status!

But my money spends the same!

Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

WDW stays
    1998 Old Key West
    2003 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2005 Port Orleans FQ
    2007 Coronado Springs
    2009 Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger&Stitch View Post
    We're not asking for clubs in the parks. Nor did I imply that we want non-family friendly areas 24/7. Just a place for adults to be adults. At the time of night that adults go out for dancing/comedy etc. children should be sound asleep anyway.

Thats exactly what I said. Disney does not need any more resteraunts or stores. They have enough of them in the marketplace..hotels..and after almost every attraction. They say they want more of a family oriented area. Kids should be sleeping late at night. Where are grownups who want adult time supposed to do now? One of the things I enjoyed most after a long day in the parks was going to the Rock-n-roll beach club (or whatever they called it because the name changed a few times) having a few drinks while watching the live bands play. Now im told by my DVC advisor that " the resteraunts built will have a bar area". Like Ive said before...if thats what I wanted, I could go to the local TGiF. And Ive been there all times of the year during all different days of the week and the clubs were always busy. I think...no I know Disney has dropped the ball on this 1.
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I thought families come in all shapes and sizes -- shame on me for thinking that my husband and I constituted a family. I didn't think that adults wanting to spend an evening with only adults meant we would be banished from The World. And I must have been crazy for thinking our vacation dollars are as valuable as those coming from family with children.
    "banished"?????? Seriously?

You know, I think by "family friendly" we all know what they mean. Sure, we can spin that however we want, into countless combinations of what a "family" is, but I think we probably know what they mean.

Is it really THAT big a deal? There's seems to be so much hostility directed at this change. As though the Clubs were some sort of constitutional entitlement or something.

Although a lot of folks like to speculate, I don't know the real reasoning behind this change, but I would bet that the motivation was something besides simply irritating guests. In fact, I'd bet it is either for buesiness reasons (the current configuration was not cutting it) or a philosophy change (Disney wanting to get out of the club business).

Sorry, I just had to vent a little. I'll hop down and be quiet.

You all go ahead and get mad, hostile, irate, upset, bothered, aggrivated, stressed, etc. I think I'll just relax and wait to see what comes. Heck, I may even like it better than what's there now.
    Marker from MO

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the word banished comes to mind when posters are suggesting alternate locations for vacations and adult fun.

Yes, it is a big deal to me. Part of my vacationing is going out for a few drinks where kids shouldn't be.

Yes, this is going to change how I vacation. At this point, I am mad at myself for even getting sucked into this whole disney daze (for lots of reasons, not just the PI changes).

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the word banished comes to mind when posters are suggesting alternate locations for vacations and adult fun.

Yes, it is a big deal to me. Part of my vacationing is going out for a few drinks where kids shouldn't be.

Yes, this is going to change how I vacation. At this point, I am mad at myself for even getting sucked into this whole disney daze (for lots of reasons, not just the PI changes).
    Boardwalk....Riks at Coronado Springs, and for hundredth time...we don't know what the other experiences are.

Post Thanks / Like

and I heard you for the hundreth time...I also said this is not the only reason I am bothered by Disney.

lockedoutlogic Guest

everyone does realize that you can drink till your heart's content at any hotel and at any park but magic kingdom?

just something i noticed in a guidebook

seriously......the adventurer's and comedy clubs are the big victims here.......as well as the dance clubs.....

so if you're into dancing.....then i feel for you......but there is at least atlantic and house of blues

or if you're into really bad, family friendly, comedic schtick......my heart goes out to you as well.....

but it's not as though they've made disney a dry campus or anything.....i doubt liquor orders are going to diminish with any significance....

if you look at it logically....this change was coming for years.....they've tinkered with PI since it was opened....and it never became a hot spot.....they tried....but it was never what they wanted it to be.....

so the destruction of it is not at all shocking.....

my advice: if you love it that much.....head down there (or up...as the case may be) for a weekend and enjoy it one last time.....and be glad that you had it.....

because the book is closed on this one, folks....the piper is paid.....it's over

Post Thanks / Like

and I heard you for the hundreth time...I also said this is not the only reason I am bothered by Disney.
    I know you did, but hopefully, this isn't one of them...

Post Thanks / Like

Oh the drama.

As I said before I am sad to see the AC go but am up for something new as well. Change is inevitable, no way to stop it.

P.S. - I do not think anyone was diminishing the value of childless families, just sharing an opinion that may have been taken out of context. Whenever you get all hot and bothered just remember the mouse and smile.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Boardwalk....Riks at Coronado Springs, and for hundredth time...we don't know what the other experiences are.

Why should we have to travel to other hotels? It would take an hour to go from your hotel to Downtown Disney then catch another bus to the other hotel...then back again at end of the night. Disney as had PI as a great adult place to go and kick back. I have heard they want to make a more family friendly atmosphere. Like I said...at night the kids should be sleeping. Keep a place for us adults. They have adult decks on their cruise ships. Why not keep PI. Like I also said..Im not traveling 1200 miles to go bowling " thats what I hear the rock beach club will be} or go to a tgif type place just to sit at a bar.
    73-4-5-76Cntpry-77-8-9Polnsyn-80-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-90-1-2 Disney villas-93-4-5-6-7-8 Crbn Bch-99 Grnd Flrdin -00 Anml Kngdm Ldg-01 Wldrns Ldg-02 Brdwlk-03Cntpry-04 Sratga Sprngs-05 Saratoga -06 Sratga -07 Grand California -07 Sratga- 08 Sratga- 09 Wldrns. Ldg.- 10 Treehouse villas

Post Thanks / Like

First off, just in case you're wondering, DW and I are also of the childless persuasion.

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    Why should we have to travel to other hotels? It would take an hour to go from your hotel to Downtown Disney then catch another bus to the other hotel...then back again at end of the night. Disney as had PI as a great adult place to go and kick back.
    Although it may sound like it, don't take this as smart-alek, it's just the truth. You should have to travel to other hotels because PI isn't making enough money to justify it's existence, so it's closing. It's really that simple. I know this costs more, but you might try a cab.
    Like I said...at night the kids should be sleeping. Keep a place for us adults. They have adult decks on their cruise ships. Why not keep PI.
    There are adult places to go, you don't want to go to them. Again, there may be some adult clubs at the new PI. Then again there might not be, I don't know.

One of the things I'm not clear on with you, and Christine, are you looking for a place to sit at a bar, or a club to party? The only reason I ask is that there are a lot of great bars in the resorts. Probably at your resort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    One of the things I'm not clear on with you, and Christine, are you looking for a place to sit at a bar, or a club to party? The only reason I ask is that there are a lot of great bars in the resorts. Probably at your resort.

I am looking for a place with good music where you can dance and feel like part of the action. That's why I love Jellyrolls and Bob Jackson. You're right there are a lot of nice lounges in the resorts and we do enjoy them. But when I am on vacation, I also like a little more if that makes sense.

I am over it now - I don't agree with the decision nor do I have to. I was insulted by the posts suggesting Vegas, going off property and references to strip bars. There is a middle ground between having a beer sitting next to a 9 year old and watching people take their clothes off. Except for 2 places in all of WDW, that's not likely to be found (pending the new experiences that could possibly be forthcoming in the new PI).

This change just adds to the general dissatisfaction I am experiencing with Disney right now. It feels like all of the things that used to make Disney feel Magical and kept me coming back are gone and replaced with bland, generic and much more expensive alternatives. I know it's a business and they are in it for the money but it wasn't so overt in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for a place with good music where you can dance and feel like part of the action. That's why I love Jellyrolls and Bob Jackson. You're right there are a lot of nice lounges in the resorts and we do enjoy them. But when I am on vacation, I also like a little more if that makes sense.
    Sure it makes sense.
    I am over it now - I don't agree with the decision nor do I have to.
    Nope, you don't.
    I was insulted by the posts suggesting Vegas, going off property and references to strip bars.
    I don't think you should be insulted by the off property suggestion, a lot of people do that. I was one of the people that suggested it, I didn't mean anything negative by it, there are just a lot of other options in Orlando. As for Vegas, if you want Disney, well, you're not going to find it in Vegas so that doesn't work. And with all due respect to whoever said it, the strip club comment is just stupid. Adult means a lot more than that, thank you.
    There is a middle ground between having a beer sitting next to a 9 year old and watching people take their clothes off. Except for 2 places in all of WDW, that's not likely to be found (pending the new experiences that could possibly be forthcoming in the new PI).
    Keep your fingers crossed for that. I'll cross mine for you, too.

lockedoutlogic Guest

There is a middle ground between having a beer sitting next to a 9 year old and watching people take their clothes off. Except for 2 places in all of WDW, that's not likely to be found (pending the new experiences that could possibly be forthcoming in the new PI).

This change just adds to the general dissatisfaction I am experiencing with Disney right now. It feels like all of the things that used to make Disney feel Magical and kept me coming back are gone and replaced with bland, generic and much more expensive alternatives. I know it's a business and they are in it for the money but it wasn't so overt in the past.

There's a middle ground ???

....no seriously...I agree that things in florida have changed and not necessarily for the better over the last 10 or so years.....

they've squeezed the employees alot....and the result is that you don't get the same kinda enthusiasm.....pretty much across the board....that you once did....

and alot of the other streamlining and cost saving measures are making small....but noticeable dents in the disney armor....

the thing that's been going on for a long time is the streamlining of menus at the restaurants....undoubtedly for supply and cost reasons....

i can basically order at the sit downs...without ever seeing the menu.....as i know they have filet, chicken breast, salmon, and a center cut pork loin on the menu.....

but it's little things like that.....that don't seem like a big deal....

then one day you are walking around and you realize you arent' were you used to be.....

Post Thanks / Like

I think that we all have to remember no matter how "magical" WDW is for all of us it is still a business, bottom line. I would be hard pressed to see a oober successful company like WDW make a fly by the seat of their pants decision. Bottom line their responsibility is to their shareholders to get rid of segments that are not producing the way they should and replace them with things that will. I understand that some people would like to have a place at WDW for adults only but lets face it the destination is full of children and with children come parents, some of which who would like to take their children out a night with them to do something appropriate for all involved. I understand the need for a place to unwind, have a few drinks, and generally kick back and relax while at WDW but, I think it could be equally offensive to imply that the only appropriate way to do so is to make an area that specifically excludes children. What needs to be happening in these childless places that makes the night even more enjoyable? I am not one who believes that the exclusion of anyone is ever a positive thing.

Just my
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KAT1811 View Post
    I understand the need for a place to unwind, have a few drinks, and generally kick back and relax while at WDW but, I think it could be equally offensive to imply that the only appropriate way to do so is to make an area that specifically excludes children. What needs to be happening in these childless places that makes the night even more enjoyable? I am not one who believes that the exclusion of anyone is ever a positive thing.

Just my
    I think many of us have been over this.

Offensive? How is it offensive to say that adults would love an area without children? Is it offensive when parents put their children to bed and stay up watching tv to have some time alone?

Again, I point to the Disney Cruise. Clearly, adult-only areas are not a foreign concept to WDW. In fact they are touted in their marketing for the Cruise Line!

I will also point out (again) that nightlife is not for children. They should be in bed by then. Going out to clubs, having a drink (or not), and adult humor are things that adults enjoy. Especially after a long day of "Tiki Tiki Tiki Lounge" and "Small World" etc.

Or even - *gasp* - those of us who don't have children. We can still love Disneyworld (rides, etc) and want a place to go at night away from young children.

It's not offensive or exclusionary - it's life.
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most people can responsibly consume alcohol in the company of children. I also don't think that anything that I have ever seen at PI wasn't "family friendly" until after midnight or later when most responsible parents would have their children back at their hotel. Even then the things I saw were no worse than what some people do in the parks.

I never considered PI not "family friendly" and I think the changes coming have more to do with economics than they do any "family friendly" arguments.

Just my two cents...

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: