Quantcast Walt Disney World Resort Unveils Bold New Vision for Downtown Disney

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

They did not say anything about the Comedy Club. Is that going too?
    [/COLOR]1993 Caribbean Beach SENIOR WEEK
    1998 1 Day Visit Magic Kingdom and MGM
    2002 Caribbean Beach HONEYMOON
    2003 Coronado Springs
    2006 Port Orleans French Quarters
    2007 POP Century
    2011 POP Century for 9 days

2013 Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

We were at the Adventurer's Club last night and it was confirmed that it's closing in September - the cast members found out yesterday, too. I sure wish we could save it - it's one of my favorite things at WDW - totally unique and very fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I think it's great news! We avoid the westside cause of teens "hanging out" looking up to no good. With a more family feel added on to the westside it should drive the teens out of there. Also I am sure more families will spend time there (and money) .

Another reason I think it's so great is it really sounds like it will have more of a disney feel, which is one thing it is lacking now. Plus I think PI could use a facelift. All in all I think it will be a great change, I know it will give us a reason to check it out.
    șoș Annual Passholders Since 2005 șoș
    Last Trip: Sept 07 POR
    WL 08 canceled because I am pregnant!
    Next trip...WL or POLY??

Post Thanks / Like

The closing is also posted on WDW online. I looked at the FAQ's because boyfriend and I are both Premium Annual Passholders. Apparently Disney will now give us a free round of golf () because of the closure. I decided to write a nice note to WDW about this - neither of us have EVER played golf and are not about to start. I really hope they think up something else to offer; any other passholders feeling the same way?
    Jan. 99 AllStar Music ;Jun 01 AllStar Sports; Jul 2003 Dolphin;May. 04 -AllStar Movies, Jan 07 Wilderness Lodge; Jun 2007 Pop Century; Jan 2008 Port Orleans Riverside; Aug 08 Pop Century; Jun 09 Saratoga Springs, Aug 09 Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 10 Boardwalk; Oct 10 Saratoga Springs

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link I found to send questions/comments to Disney's Guest Relations...

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wd...=ContactUsPage

(I know that Intercot generally doesn't allow the posting of links, but I thought this might be ok...)
    Rob

PS: I also posted this in the 'Save the Adventurer's Club petition' thread in the Nightlife, Shops & Water Parks section...
    WDW Trips - Too many to list due to sig file character count limit! :(

Most Recent Cruise: DCL 7-day Western Caribbean Cruise - 12/29/07 - 01/05/08 - New Year's Eve at Sea! Woo Hoo!

Most Recent WDW Trip: 5-day stay at Old Key West 12/6/12 - 12/10/12

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that Pleasure Island really started to slide when they removed the admission charge for the area as a whole, and made it club by club. I am in favor of upgrades, but I would miss Adventurers Club if it goes away permanently. I'd also like to see a more fully developed adult area, but for adults who are really kids, and want the Disney feel. That's what I think Adventurers Club does well, and what should be emulated there.

I'm also not psyched to look out my window at SSR and see a big balloon above the water.
    -- End of line

Post Thanks / Like

So they are closing unique venues like the Comedy Warehouse and especially the Adventurer's Club, just to add more (3rd party) shops and restaurants... Oh, wait, there's a balloon too... This is not the idea of a brilliant imagineer, but of a short-sighted accountant...
    95 DLRP
    96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 ASS
    98, 01 DLRP
    98 DLRP
    00 DLRP
    02 DLRP
    02 CBR & AKL
    03 DLRP
    03 CBR
    03 DLRP
    04 DLRP
    04 CBR
    05 May: PC, Jun: ASS & Sep: PC
    06 Jan: PC, Sep: PC
    07 May: PC, Sep: CBR
    08 Jan: ASMo, Sep: Pop
    09 Feb: OS, Sep: SS
    11 May: SS

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

ALL SOUNDS VERY GOOD,BUT I THINK THE SHOULD KEEP RAGLAN ROAD,THAT PLACE IS GREAT,MAYBE TONE IT DOWN ALITTLE,MAKE IT MORE FAMILY FRIENDLY,THE FOOD IS SOME OF THE BEST AT DOWNTOWN DISNEY.
    I WILL MISS YOU RAGLAN ROAD
    All Star Sports 10/98
    All Star Movies 09/01 09/03 09/04 08/05 08/06
    All Star Music 09/02 09/07
    Caribbean Beach 09/08

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    So they are closing unique venues like the Comedy Warehouse and especially the Adventurer's Club, just to add more (3rd party) shops and restaurants... Oh, wait, there's a balloon too... This is not the idea of a brilliant imagineer, but of a short-sighted accountant...

the writing was on the wall with this one for along time.....

they will continue to outsource and third party as much stuff as they can....

that is due to the fact they can't expand with their labor force already overextended......

they line at casting has been non-existent for some time.....it just isn't a good gig entry level.....not even that good above entry level....

so they will continue to do this in an attempt to free up enough labor to put together a new gate....in my opinion....

on one side it's sad....but the practical reality is that disney will not increase pay and benefits to attract more/better workers.....
    so i have no problem with them supervising third party establishments that are willing to do that....as long as they are done right.....

The balloon is a straight rip off from paris....as anyone who has been to the "downtown" there recognizes....

but the list of "new things" that the article described isn't going to cut it....

my interpretation is that the pleasure island clubs are CEASING to exist....not being rehabbed.....

if so....then they will need alot more than a T shirt shop, restaurant, and a couple of overpriced private party rooms to make a dent in the decay that is fast setting in there....

pleasure island and the west side need some serious work....in my opinion.....

as neither cirque, nor disneyquest, nor Virgin, nor house of blues, nor bongos, nor any of the little boutique shops do alot for the rank and file traveler after sitting there for over 10 years now.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
    I agree, I think the comedy club and adventures club were unique enough that they should stay. Unfortunately Disney shot themselves in the foot when they changed PI's addmission rules. No one wants to go drink and dance with 4 year olds running around. Also, once they removed CM night, it really died...CMs where what kept that place going and made it popular for tourist to go to...sad sad sad
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
    It seems to me that Pleasure Island really started to slide when they removed the admission charge for the area as a whole, and made it club by club. I am in favor of upgrades, but I would miss Adventurers Club if it goes away permanently. I'd also like to see a more fully developed adult area, but for adults who are really kids, and want the Disney feel. That's what I think Adventurers Club does well, and what should be emulated there.

I'm also not psyched to look out my window at SSR and see a big balloon above the water.
    agree It used to be a place the adults could enjoy.
    i just wrote WDW & expressed my dissapointment on how it went downhill. I added it to my reasons that my sept trip may be my last to WDW for awhile. & WDW has been my only vacation spot for yrs.
    yippee a balloon ride! & more stores!
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Goodbye Adventurers Club.

Kungaloosh!
    Many, many visits since 1973....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofy4mickey View Post
    We were at the Adventurer's Club last night and it was confirmed that it's closing in September - the cast members found out yesterday, too. I sure wish we could save it - it's one of my favorite things at WDW - totally unique and very fun.
    That is the only part of Pleasure Island that I had been looking forward to visiting in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

I am really not too heartbroken over this. I went to the Adventure's Club once and I loved it. It was very much my speed and my humor. I also interacted with the Chambermaid so when it was her part in the main show, I was the person with whom she interacted in the audience. However, this was the only time I ever went to PI.

I can say this, Disney was at an impasse when it came to PI. I know that I would never pay a gate charge to get into an area where I would only frequent one club. It would have been a waste of money for me. I am sure there were plenty of other guests who thought the same thing.

So, to hopefully encourage more people going to the clubs, they removed the turnstiles and allowed everybody to pass through the area and pay for each club. Then this brought in the riff raff who would rather hang out at PI instead of the local mall.

I get enough of that garbage up here in Baltimore, why would I want to subject myself to it at Disney. So, then you had less guests going there to avoid those people. So, you had this spiral downward trend that would be difficult to remedy in PI/DTD current configuration.

What always happens in this is the quality clubs get axed because they are associated with something that failed as a whole. I wouldn't put it past Disney to open up The Adventure's Club or the Comedy Club elsewhere on the Disney Property.

I think this is a great decision by Disney. Now, being a great decision doesn't mean it will be great execution. If they fail in that, it will not be successful no matter how great the idea is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    So, to hopefully encourage more people going to the clubs, they removed the turnstiles and allowed everybody to pass through the area and pay for each club. Then this brought in the riff raff who would rather hang out at PI instead of the local mall.
    You don't pay for each club. You just don't have to pay the PI fee until you enter the first club. After that, you can go into any club and not have to pay again. So, it's not a smaller fee at each club, it's just one fee paid at the first club you enter.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Move the AC & CW to the parks

I agree with those that would like to see the Adventurer's Club and the Comedy Warehouse moved to the parks. AC would be great at Animal Kingdom and the CW would be really fun at Hollywood Studios. Both of these could work fine with both kids and adults.

That being said, we have avoided Downtown Disney as much as possible lately. It's WAY too crowded and you can't get a quick bite to eat. We basically hit the Lego Store and leave as quickly as possible. If this new plan spreads people out a bit, that may be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenDreams View Post
    That being said, we have avoided Downtown Disney as much as possible lately. It's WAY too crowded and you can't get a quick bite to eat. We basically hit the Lego Store and leave as quickly as possible. If this new plan spreads people out a bit, that may be good.
    Good observation. The plan may work to create a more viable link. It could finally be the missing link between the colorful, fun, people-friendly classic Disney themed Marketplace and the more mainstream, concrete jungle of the commercial West End.

As to eateries, I recall only Earl of Sandwich was a good mid-level-not fast-food family friendly quick stop CS. The decor is rich and the space is not so cramped as most other CS or quick bit places at DTD. Earl is a chain but not so prevalent so for most visitors it is a treat. I'd like to see more eateries similar to Earl.
    ~~Have a Disney Day~~
    șoș WDW 9-83, 9-84, 9-88, 9-93, 5-94, 5-95, 5-96, 9-99, 9-07
    șoș TDL 6-83, 9-91
    șoș DLR many, many

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by goofy4mickey View Post
    It's a shame - it could easily be redone with the same theme, as a "club" dining room and as a sit-down restaurant - but still be family friendly!

"RedHead! Your vacation got cancelled on you! What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to DISNEY WORLD!!!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedHead View Post
    It's a shame - it could easily be redone with the same theme, as a "club" dining room and as a sit-down restaurant - but still be family friendly!

I think the main point is that those of us who don't have children would like a place where we could hang out - a place that isn't so 'family friendly.' I think trying to make PI a place for everyone (i.e. families) is what ultimately ruined it.
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger&Stitch View Post
    I think the main point is that those of us who don't have children would like a place where we could hang out - a place that isn't so 'family friendly.' I think trying to make PI a place for everyone (i.e. families) is what ultimately ruined it.

I agree! Even alot of people with children would like an "adults only" escape once in a while.
    September 2004: CBR...dodging Hurricanes successfully!
    September 2005: CBR again and again dodging Hurricanes with success!
    September 2006: AKL, our honeymoon, just awesome!
    September 2007: POR, anniversary celebration! was awesome:)
    December 2012: First trip with the 4 year old, yay:)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: