Quantcast Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends to Close September 27, 2008 - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    Oh, here we go... We're only a few posts from talking about ripping out "the dreaded hat" or gloating over getting the arm & wand removed. Removing things from WDW is always sad.

My thoughts are this: it seems like Disney is taking a lot of kid themed attractions out (with this and some character dining). I hope they're not moving all the kid appeal to DTD and then move Pleasure Island to the parks, just to attract more adults.
    i sense you have a "personal" interest in some of the "attractions" that have erupted like pimples at WDW over the last 10 years.....

the hat....for example.....which is really nothing but a really obnoxious pin stand......

bad idea.....always was......always will be....

the wand was great.....until it stayed 5 years too long.....

let's face it.....imagineering's work of late has been by and large a miss.....i don't know exactly why it has been.....but it has.....

hopefully they manage to regain their mojo a little.....

Iger has said it....and he's right: the parks need some new blood.....that is painfully obvious....at least in my opinion

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Bravo Poolguy, especially on your comment about passing judgement without even seeing the show.

We are disappointed to hear that this show is closing. Before we had my DD, my DH and I never attended this show as we were always hustling to see the LoLK. When we had our DD, we decided to go see this show and were so pleased. While it might be seen as just for toddlers, I think this show is for anyone who loves Poca (check out my tagline . The kids get to sit on their own, the animals are cute, you wonder how Poca can handle them and the puppetry is fantastic. Poca is always beautiful and has a great voice for those wonderful songs. Additionally, it is a nice, quiet, calm place for a respite during a busy day.

MY DD loved this show and on our last trip - May08'- we had a truly magic moment. We were at the show and they came on the PA to say that the show was going to be postponed and then they eventually cancelled it. My DD was upset - not crying - and so we went and asked the CM Manager what had happened to try to explain to her that sometimes things come up. He explained to us (me) that they had a rogue squirrel in the back and they needed to test him as he was not part of the ususal "cast" before they could proceed. (Gotta love Disney safety/care). He then asked us if we could wait until everyone left the theater and then we got a "private showing" with Poca. We got about 10 minutes of 1x1 time with her, my DD loved it and the whole family was teary. Truly, a magical Disney moment.

Our love affair with Poca started when the film premiered. You might recall that the show DisneyWorld Inside/Out promoted it like crazy and we were lucky enough to win tickets to the premiere in Central Park, NYC. How incredible to be in Central Park with 100k people, two huge drive-in move theater like screens and a Disney classic. I could go on and on about the organization, saftey and magic around this event but....

Not only will I be interested in seeing what they replace this show with but how they are going to now use Poca in the parks. I have never felt like she gets enough "airtime" and was disappointed when they removed her from MK LS and just put her in AK. What are they going to do -- replace it with something Pixar? I love Pixar but I guess I am old school (is Poca even old school) and would love a return to the animated classics. You would think with the green "trend" in the US right now that they would be using Poca's message to the utmost.

Guess we will be seeing her "Just Around the Riverbend." Hope so.
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is good news as I see it. And I am right there with those of you hoping for Beastly! The only thing over that way that would be at all difficult to deal with moving or being dark is the Lion King. I mean the character trails could close tomorrow. I'm sure Disney could find somewhere else to do MnGs.

BTW, to those of you who like Pocahontas and/or this show, I'm sorry. Oh and I forget who said it, but no Poca is NOT old school. If Toy Story isn't old school, then Poca can't be since they came out the same year. I feel like there are 3 schools of Disney. Old school would be when Walt was alive plus Jungle Book. New school (or maybe Middle School) would be the 70s and 80s when the movies all but stopped. Then I would call the current age, the Disney Renaissance starting from The Little Mermaid. I guess you could break this into the traditional animation and the CGI, but I won't.

Post Thanks / Like

I did like the show, but if this closing paves the way for Beastly Kingdom I'll live.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess that this is one more thing for us to do on our trip. We will be there for closing day. So, we will have to hit this during the day, then Adventurer's Club at night!
    John (aka HndrdPrcnt)

DL CM 1987 - 1994
    CM WDW Trips 87,89,90,92
    CBR 1994
    Beach Club 1998
    All Stars 2000
    POP Sept 25-Oct 2 2006

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pocahontas

Beastly Kingdom wasn't built primarly due to funding. I have my doubts we will see anytime soon for the same reason. The Pocahontas stage area may become a catering spot for the big conventions that come in to see the Lion King show after park hours. Just a guess on my part. Going to have to take my daughters to see Pocahontas at least one more time before its gone.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Because people should know.

See...the problem is that people dont understand that these are LIVE, WILD, ANIMALS. You can teach an animal a behavior but you cant control him and make him understand "you have to go slow so people can see you". All the animals have different speeds. The show is so short that if an animal stays on the stage long enough then the show has to stop because you cant have a skunk and a porcupine on the same stage at the same time. Its something that once you think about, it acually makes sense. The training session is great because they tell you these things and once you know how the animals are trained and how the show works then you understand why sometimes the animals are hard to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    We saw this show one time, but the problem with it was no animal interaction. All the animals did was run, very quickly, across the stage. If you blinked you missed them. This could have been a better show if the modeled it more after Flights of Wonder.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Awesome!

OMG youre awesome. I wish there were more people out there who thought like you. This show is great and im happy to hear that other people enjoy the show and of course, Pocahontas!
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltsan View Post
    Bravo Poolguy, especially on your comment about passing judgement without even seeing the show.

We are disappointed to hear that this show is closing. Before we had my DD, my DH and I never attended this show as we were always hustling to see the LoLK. When we had our DD, we decided to go see this show and were so pleased. While it might be seen as just for toddlers, I think this show is for anyone who loves Poca (check out my tagline . The kids get to sit on their own, the animals are cute, you wonder how Poca can handle them and the puppetry is fantastic. Poca is always beautiful and has a great voice for those wonderful songs. Additionally, it is a nice, quiet, calm place for a respite during a busy day.

MY DD loved this show and on our last trip - May08'- we had a truly magic moment. We were at the show and they came on the PA to say that the show was going to be postponed and then they eventually cancelled it. My DD was upset - not crying - and so we went and asked the CM Manager what had happened to try to explain to her that sometimes things come up. He explained to us (me) that they had a rogue squirrel in the back and they needed to test him as he was not part of the ususal "cast" before they could proceed. (Gotta love Disney safety/care). He then asked us if we could wait until everyone left the theater and then we got a "private showing" with Poca. We got about 10 minutes of 1x1 time with her, my DD loved it and the whole family was teary. Truly, a magical Disney moment.

Our love affair with Poca started when the film premiered. You might recall that the show DisneyWorld Inside/Out promoted it like crazy and we were lucky enough to win tickets to the premiere in Central Park, NYC. How incredible to be in Central Park with 100k people, two huge drive-in move theater like screens and a Disney classic. I could go on and on about the organization, saftey and magic around this event but....

Not only will I be interested in seeing what they replace this show with but how they are going to now use Poca in the parks. I have never felt like she gets enough "airtime" and was disappointed when they removed her from MK LS and just put her in AK. What are they going to do -- replace it with something Pixar? I love Pixar but I guess I am old school (is Poca even old school) and would love a return to the animated classics. You would think with the green "trend" in the US right now that they would be using Poca's message to the utmost.

Guess we will be seeing her "Just Around the Riverbend." Hope so.

Post Thanks / Like

We just saw this for the first time with DD two weeks ago and I have to say I won't be disappointed not to see it again. There were hardly any animals in it at all and the hamster things were creeping me out...scampering around like that. *shiver*
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Saw this show twice. Once right when AK opened, and another time with friends (although we tried to talk them out of it). They wish they listened to us (they didn't listen when we warned them about Tarzan Rocks! either).

It's not a bad show, but it's not the greatest. Maybe just poor execution is the best way to describe it. Flights of Wonder is a zillion times better IMHO, which makes Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends somewhat of a disappointment.

Post Thanks / Like

I took my DD & DS when they were about 4-7 yrs
    old...it clearly was geared towards kids and they liked it. But, I can't say I will shed any tears on this show heading off into the sunset...or, um, woods...
    The Wiz of Diz

**First WDW visit 1973
    **WDW Annual Passholder since 1999

"Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!"

Post Thanks / Like

i saw this show for the first time 2 weeks ago. i wanted to catch it before it closes. i thought the puppetry was great and the animals were cute if brief.i probably wouldnt see it a second time, but i could see how little kids would love this show. and AK really doesnt have too much for the very little, plus much as i love nemo and LOLK, they are both long and can take up a chunk of your day, so a short show is a nice change. i just hope they will replace it with something, but im afraid that, as someone above stated, it will just become a catering area for vips
    last trip AKL may '06
    first trip 1973

Post Thanks / Like

Default last day of Poc and friends at AK

If you are at AK for last day of Poc and friends, attend the last show. A little something special planned.

'Tiggers are wonderful things'
    AKL
    All Star Music/Sports
    Big Red Boat
    CB
    Contemporary Garden
    Disney Institute Bungalow
    FW Campground/Cabin/Home
    Pop
    Poly
    POFQ/POR
    WL

Post Thanks / Like

When is the last show? We are leaving tomorrow evening and staying till October 5th.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

I have also seen the Pocahontas show and I am not a fan. Because of its location, many people end up seeing this show after they exit Festival of the Lion King, which is arguably the best show in all of WDW. There is a huge let-down factor when this happens.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the show but it's had it's run.With the huge library of great stories Disney has,Id actually like to see shows change more often good or not.Beauty and the Beast has had a long run as has Lion King.Why not liven things up every four or five years with new shows.DHS could do worse than a NBC show with that film's fan base.How about replacing Nemo(which i actually disliked)with a classic animal rich story like Jungle Book.
    And I do hope that whoever was Pochantos gets a good role elsewhere in the park,even if it's to remain as Pochantos introducing kids to animals on a personal basis.
    1981(FW) 1982(FW) 1983(FW) 1984(FW) 1985(FW)
    1986(FW) 1987(FW) 1989-2x(FW) 2004(ASMO)2008(CSR)

You can't just let it go...not even on your birthday.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone get to go on the last day?
    what happened?
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: