Quantcast Training for 5k

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Training for 5k

Post Thanks / Like

Default Training for 5k

Hi all...

I want to start training for the 5K family run that's at WDW next March.

I've never been a long distance runner (or short distance). I was a swimmer all through high school.

How should I start to train? I'm slightly overweight. I've been going to the gym and on the elliptical or treadmills 2-3 times a week for about 45 mins. a session. But, how can I translate that into meeting the 15 min. mile pace so I can earn that finisher medal???

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)
    AsMo - '09 (Princess 5K & 1st Anniversary)
    DCL - Dec. '11 (30th b-day gift)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be watching this thread. My friend wants me to run a 5K ...but it's THIS September 28th. Eek! It would take a lot of effort for me to be able to do it, but I'd like to try at least.
    Disney World: 10/92 Yacht Club, 11/96 Disney Institute, 12/00 Yacht Club, 6/05 Beach Club, 8/06 Shades of Green, 8/07 Caribbean Beach Resort, 10/07 Coronado Springs, 12/08 French Quarter, 3/10 All Star Sports, 4/12 Port Orleans Riverside

Disneyland: 1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013

Post Thanks / Like

You will have no problem with your current fitness level meeting the time cut off. They are conservative with their cutoff times so you could basically walk the entire thing at 15 minute mile pace.

But, if you want to do better, start setting up your base fitness. Until around Jan, I would concentrate on running 3-5 minutes and then walking a few and repeating until you feel like you can run about 4 miles. This would be a good time to also work on any diet adjustments you want to do. Experiement in your training with whatever race day nutrition you might want to see if it works for you. I think Disney uses Poweraid at their stations but you want to train with what they are using.

In Jan, start your speedwork if you have met your base work goals. Go to the track and do a fast lap, then a 1 minute cool down and then another fast lap. Get to where you can do 4-6 of these.

Good luck. Try to keep it fun. You have a long time until the race so don't burn yourself out.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a training program available on the Internet called "couch to 10K" that also works for 5Ks.
    12/99-All-Star Sports * 5/01-POR * 4/02-AKL * 5/03-DL * 5/04-POFQ * 2/05-POR * 5/05-offsite * 10/05-WL * 12/05-DL * 2/06-offsite * 12/06-POP * 4/07-Coronado Springs * 10/07-WL * 4/08-POFQ * 5/10-POFQ * 7/12-DL * 2/14-DL * 6/15-YC

Next Trip ???

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly agree with Advnt05's advice, but wanted to add some other things:

1) Get a good pair of running shoes. Don't just to go a shoe store and pick a pair of sneakers from the wall; go to an actual running store (if at all possible), let them know that you are training for a 5k, and have them recommend some shoes. They should have you test them out with a clerk watching how you run, especially if you don't know whether you overpronate, supinate, etc.

2) You probably don't have to start with a run 3-4 minutes, walk 2, although with your current exercise program, you should be able to do that. And really, you don't need to be able to cover more than 3.1 - you can train until you can run 4 miles, but it isn't necessary.

3) For a 5k, you should be able to get by on just water (or nothing, unless the weather is hot) - I wouldn't even worry about whether they have powerade or Gatorade or something else; they will have water.

4) Good luck. Relax and have fun. It's your first race, so you automatically set a PR (personal record). Your goals (especially for your first race) should be these:

Get to the start line without injury.
    Enjoy the race.
    Finish with a smile and looking forward to another race at a later date.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to run track and cross country in HS and college and I ran up until last year for fun and have done many 5 and 10K races. Setting goals is the most important thing, I agree also on drinking lots of water, even when you aren't running. And stretch out prior to running! People don't do this enough. Also cooling down is important. I think if you get your mindset that you will do it, you can. And good for you for doing it!

Post Thanks / Like

We're actually doing a 3-mile walk/run on Sept. 20 (it's a charity event for my work). I figure it will give me an opportunity to see how much further I need to go to train to get up to a full run.
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw that the route has been posted for the race. Looks like it starts outside of Epcot and then enters by Mexico goes around the World Showcase through Future World to the main exit and then finishes outside the park.

I'm really excited about this. I've been doing about 3 miles a couple times a week in about 55 minutes -- I'm pretty much just walking the whole thing at this point with some spurts of running. My legs have been hurting really bad especially my shins. I think I might need some newer running shoes to break in before the race because the concrete has been wreaking havoc on my legs. Any recommendations?

I know I've also heard of something called "runners glide" to help with chafing. Anyone know where to get that or should I be OK just using Desitin?
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

For new shoes, I would go to a running store verses a general sporting goods store. At a running store, they can look at your foot stride and make some recommendations based on your particular patterns.
    For the runner's glide, petroleum jelly works just as good. It's a little stickier but you probably already have that. The ones that I have used in the past are Body Glide and Hydropel. Both can probably also be found at the running store.

Post Thanks / Like

I found we have a Fleet Feet Sports here in town and they put you on a treadmill to look at your gait and then look at the tread on your current shows. So, I think that's really going to help. I've been back in the gym this week just using the treadmill to give my shins a rest.
    DW of lotrfan
    Offsite - '81-'86
    DL - '89, '97, '05
    POFQ - '94, '95
    FW - '96
    POR - '98, '01
    CBR - '08 (Honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

A walk-run program that gradually gets to you running for 30 minutes that the pp (Tick-tock) suggested is ideal.

The key is to stick to the program, meaning don't run too much too soon by running faster or farther than the plan allows. That's a good way to get shin splints, stress fractures or some other injury. The bones in your legs aren't used to running, and injury comes from people putting more stress on their legs than their legs can repair when not running.

You shouldn't increase your distance/speed more than 10-15% per week. If you exceed 15%, then you're a candidate for injury. I've been running for a few years and I offered that advice to my DH when he started running. As usual, he told me that I didn't know what I was talking about, so he wound up doing too much too soon and developed with extremely painful stress fractures in both legs.

Also, try not to run on concrete sidewalks. It's really punishing on your shins and joints and makes you more injury prone. That's another reason that my DH developed stress fractures. You may want to do your running on the same type of surface that you will be running on in the race.

When running in the road, you are supposed to run facing traffic, which keeps you running on the same side of the road. If you wind up running on asphalt, and the road surface curves on the sides for drainage, then you need to alternate the sides of the road. Staying on one side of the road of a curved surface basically has you running on a shortened leg, which makes you use your legs unevenly and more prone to injury. The roads in housing developments would be ideal for training, as there is less traffic and you can switch sides more easily than on main roads.

So, take it easy and don't push yourself. You've given yourself plenty of time to train, so if you stick to the plan, then you should do fine. Good luck!
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: