Quantcast AirTran - vs- SWA, What to do, What to do?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Cool AirTran - vs- SWA, What to do, What to do?

Hello friends. I don't usually stress out over my planning like this, but the state of airfares has me on edge.

We are flying from KC. Our intended flight dates are Sept 14 - Sept 21. We would consider leaving Sept 13 if it provided enough savings to offset (or nearly so) the additional night.

Right now I could book on AirTran, on the dates I want, at times that are really pretty agreable.

However, I have never used AirTran and I am a bit hesitant based on the accounts of others. I heard of frequently changing schedules, among other issues. I also know that with SWA I can do my 24 hour in advance check in via my cell phone, I don't believe AirTran offers this.

Also, while I am aware that SWA typically overbooks their flights, I know that as long as I am prompt with my checkin, and I arrive early enough that I won't likely get bumbed. Thus far I have never been bumped from a SWA flight. With Airtrain, I don't know if I can make the same assumptions. I don't know their frequency of overbooking and bumping.

Right now, I can book the AirTran flights for $84 each way, coming to $189 total per person.

With SWA, I've been hoping for a good DING fair. Just a few minutes ago, the had a DING fair of $97 each way ($215 total), for AUGUST. So now I'm wondering, even if I wait for them to offer one for September, if it's $97, then the AirTran rate is still much better.

That's $26 per person difference. I could go ahead and book with AirTran and know I had my tickets bought. However, I don't know if I trust AirTran. I am much more comfortable with SWA, but they haven't offered anything too friendly yet.

Do I book with someone I'm not as comfortable with, or wait? If I wait it still may not be the better price.

I'll be glad when I get this part handled.
    Marker from MO

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We flew on AirTran for our trip this past May/June and had absolutely no problems at all. It was our first time flying with them and we flew out of St. Louis. Both flights were on time (actually, both arrived at our destinations a little early), we had no issues with luggage, the flight was smooth, and the crew was very friendly. We booked our flights in January and never had either flight time change at all. We chose to spend the extra $$ (I think it was $5 per person) to pick our seat assignments, so we weren't under a lot of pressure to check in right at 24 hours like you are with SW. We were very happy with AirTran and plan on using them in the future (as long as the prices and flight times are right!)
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard a lot of people complain about changing schedules on Air Tran, but I have never had that experience. We have only ever had great service and excellent flights. Actually, I perfer them over most other airlines as they are affordable and I never had any issues.

I think I am one of few people who doesn't care for SW. I hate the cattle call and the flight staff has, from my experiences, been one of the least friendly and helpful especially to a family of small children.

I would pay any amount to never have a singing flight attendant again (we had one on our last SW flight). I think she was trying out for airline idol.

I say go with Air Tran... cheaper and decent service. For a little extra money you can pick your seat (less than the difference between the two).
    Last Trip: April 2015 CBR
    Next Trip: Sept 2015 Boardwalk

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I flew AirTran out of STL to Orlando back in Jan for our honeymoon and they were wonderful! We had no problems what so ever and the crew were all very nice and polite. They served everyone drinks and a snack and even came back by to see if we wanted seconds (I havn't ever been on a plane where they offered seconds on the snacks and refills for the drinks). I must say that it was the best plane experience that I have ever had. The plane was very very clean and everyone on the plane gets free headsets to listen to their own XM station. If I have a choice on what airline to use I will always choose AirTran from now on!

Post Thanks / Like

Given the state of the airline industry right now, I'd probably book at what I know is a decent price rather than hold out for an unknown possibility.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

We pondered many of the same questions with numerous airlines when purchasing out tickets for our trip in Dec.

It pretty much came down to agreeable flight times as much as price.

We ended up going with SW, for $200 a person.
    We also decided to stay a day longer, as this saved us about $400.Flying Wed to Wed rather than Wed. to Tues.
    Ok, it cost us $165 more for another night in the resort and another $96 for DDP, and probably another $40 for misc.. So we only saved about $100 in the end, but that also another day at WDW and we saved money, so we are happy.
    We have never had any issue with SW, even traveling with kids and have never had any issue with checking in 24 hours ahead.
    I also ,have not found any cheaper airfares for our trip, unless we want to leave a 6am or 11pm.
    I think, many of us, start obesessing over the "what ifs" of airline tickets, as in what if I find a better or cheaper flight.
    I agree that it is best to decide when you want your departure times both going and coming and a price range and go for it and then concentrate on thinking about your time at the"WORLD"
    Kim, Mom of Two Russian Angels

Post Thanks / Like

We have only had good experiences with Air Tran. Plus you can get your boarding pass 24 hours in advance. This isn't a SWA only monopoly. Most airlines will allow you to do this.

Like Faline said,

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Given the state of the airline industry right now, I'd probably book at what I know is a decent price rather than hold out for an unknown possibility.
    This is what I would do. Better to have the tickets than to have to possible pay more later. I am of the school, that if I find a price that I am comfortable with then I will book it. And never look back.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

On Air Tran, for an extra $6 per person, you can get an assigned seat at the time of booking.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing you also might need to consider is how many bags you are checking in. If you are bringing more than one bag person then AirTran charges an extra $15/bag/flight. Your savings on AirTran could potentially be gone with those fees. Southwest does not charge for a second bag.

I always have the AirTran vs. Southwest debate. For you I would look at how many daily non stop flights AirTran offers our of your airport. If they offer more than one and they switch your time around you can very easily ask to be put on a different flight. Having only one flight daily really limits your choices if they do this. You are at their mercy and could mess up plans that you had already made. The worst that can happen if they change your flight and you don't like it they will refund your money. However, by then, you might not be able to get a decent airfare on another airline. Southwest really never changes their schedule so can be fairly confident in making plans.

With that said and all things (schudules & price), I prefer AirTran over Southwest because they participate in the Resort Airline Check-in. I really like being able to check my bags and myself in at the hotel instead of doing it at the airport.
    Sept 2005 - All Star Movies
    Sept 2006 - Pop Century!
    Sept 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    Sept 2008 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2008 - All Star Music
    Aug 2009 - Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 - All Star Music
    Aug 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: