Quantcast How could someone do this???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How could someone do this???

I was online this morning before going to work and I went on eBay. I found a seller that has a Veteran of the Day pin for auction. My question is this.... How can someone sell something so special and even put in the auction that they are told NEVER to give the pin away or sell it??
    My husband earned his VOTD pin and he is too proud of it to ever THINK of getting rid of it. I think we should all email the seller and tell him that what he is doing will ruin it for veterans for ever. Disney will stop giving out these special pins and future ceremony participants will never get the chance to own such a special pin. Now who is with me???????
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

At first I was going to say you don't know all the details, maybe someone died and the loved ones are getting rid of possessions, really hard up for cash, etc., But I looked up the sale myself and see that it is being done by a super seller. One does wonder how the seller acquired it.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

My bet is as you said ... bequeathed to someone who didn't understand it's merit or didn't care and pawned it or sold it. One way or another, distance and time make information go away.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they need the money badly, even if its just $20, you never know. Whether you like it or not, it is there property to do with as they please. I can understand why this upsets you so much, though. It does seem like a rather cheap price to sell something so special.

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

OK guys,
    I agree with my wife on this point. This pin shouldnt be sold.
    While i must acknowledge the point that, yes it is thier property and they can do what they want with it. This pin, while rare, really isnt worth that much monetarily. 20 bucks? it wont even fill up your gas tank. So why bother selling it in the first place?
    My hope is that the pins (yes ive found two on Ebay) were in a box or boxes of pins by mistake when they were sold or given to this super seller.
    I really cant politely express how much it upsets me that a non vet could have this pin. DId they get shot at in a foreign country or see good friends life stolen in the blink of an eye? I feel the same way when I see Military Medals for sale on Ebay. Folks this isnt about a rare pin, its more about what it means behind it.

Alright, im done. I will get off my soap box. Fel free to continue to send me private messages telling me how wrong I am to be upset. I'll read it, and then delete it.

Have a great day
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Veteran of the day

Please tell me more about the veteran of the day. I did not know WDW did this. I am a Navy vet from the vietnam era. Would love to be able to do this. I love this country and served proudly in the Navy and Army reserves! I come from a long line of military family who served proudly. Thank You Gayle
    WL concierge silver wedding anniversary 2004
    GCH, disneyland July 2005
    WL concierge Dec 2005
    Wilderness Lodge 2007
    POP Century May 2008
    POP Century May 2009
    POP Century October 2010
    New DVC Owners BLT
    BLT/AKL Villas May 2011
    CS/DCL Fantasy Maiden Voyage 03/2012
    BLT Oct 2012
    BLT Jan 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the sentiments about the pin but after all it's still just a pin maybe the seller received it in a trade or through and insider connection at Disney. You have to understand that collector's search for rare pins and are willing to pay a premium for them so this pin being sold really doesn't surprise me at all.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Default pin

some pins are meant to be special and kept. there is no way of knowing why the are selling. even if for needed money this would not be a lot. so they should give to another disney person who would apprecaited it and take care of the pin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrong...

That is just not right. That is a special pin and it's not meant for trading...it's meant to keep and cherish.

I have the 9/11 memorial pin that was given away to DVC members following the tragedy. It is not, nor will it ever be, for trade. It is in one of my pin books but it is clearly labeled "Do Not Touch...NOT For Trade".

I don't know if that person doesn't understand what VOTD pin means or what. The right thing to do would be to take the auction down. I wish there was some way we could complain to eBay but I can't see what they could do. It's not an item that isn't allowed on eBay.

Post Thanks / Like

While I agree it is something that should not be sold, we don't know where it came from or who it actually belonged to. This sort of thing is often sold in bulk with many other items from estate sales, etc. it is possible the seller simply purchased a large bulk of items and this happened to be in with them. It may have come from anywhere or someone who passed away, etc. If it is a super seller, then chances are it did not belong to them in the first place.

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to assume the seller doesn't "get it" about the value of the pin to veterans or to Disney fanatics. For whatever reason, they don't ascribe the same sentiment to it that we do. However strongly you may feel about it, it is (a) not your decision, and (b) just an object no matter how significant it may seem.

We can't dictate how other people feel about stuff, much as we might want to. And ironically, freedom -- to do as we please as long as it doesn't harm someone else, and even to say and do things other people disagree with -- is one of the most important things our veterans fought for. If we try to tell them what they may and may not do with their own property, what message are we really sending?

If you haven't seen "Up" yet, be sure to go. One of the subplots in the movie is really about the importance and value of the "stuff" in your life vs. the experiences of it. The VOTD pin is just a pin, but nobody can ever take away from that veteran the experience that pin represents.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: