Quantcast Gluten Free Dining

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gluten Free Dining

My wife was just diagnosed with Celiac disease - meaning she can't eat gluten (wheat and grain, mostly). She called Disney and said it wouldn't be a problem and they can work around her dining needs, but I believe she needs to preorder her counter service meals.

Anyway, she's still fairly upset that she won't get to order the normal food and worried that she'll get something bland and just cobbled together real quick. Does anyone have any experience with special dietary needs and how the food ends up for table service? buffets? Counter service?

Thanks for any tips and pointers...

t

Post Thanks / Like

I just pm'd you with a great link about Gluten free dining at WDW.
    Tina

Life is a prize, live every minute...

Disney World x 100+
    Disney Land x 1
    Disney Land Paris x 2

Post Thanks / Like

I've been gluten free since Jan 2001. We've had 3 great trips to Disney World since and getting ready to go on our 4th in a few months.

I found the following info last year:
    Theresa Joiner
    Food and Beverage Support
    [email protected]

I emailed Theresa and within a matter of a couple of hours she sent me some great gluten free eating info for all the parks.

I remember our first trip to DW when I was gf. We ate at the California Grill at the Comtemporary and the chef came out and asked me what I liked and made me a great gf meal.

On counter service meals I went straight to the register when it was my turn and told them I had a "food allergy" and they called the manager to the counter. Many times it was the manager that prepared my food from beginning to end.

I think going to Disney World is the best place to go for anyone who has food restrictions. If you go to a sit down place to eat tell them then (or when you make your "reservation") you have someone who is Celiac and they will go out of their way to make a great gf meal. Last trip I had pizza, hamburger buns, brownies, pancakes and the list goes on. I felt "normal". I never felt deprived of good food. It may take a little longer but it is worth it.

Hope you enjoy your trip and drop Theresa an email. But always remember, it's always a little risky eating out when you have a food intolerance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Guests with Special Needs forum where you'll continue to get some great answers.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Disney World is the one place that I feel catered to when I eat! The counter service is great...if I want something quick I just order GF mac and cheese or pizza, but when I feel like getting something special the chef (at CS places and resort food court) will make us pancakes, gf breaded chicken, pasta, etc. - I just make sure to leave enough time for the extra prep - they are happy to do it! CS has been great!

Post Thanks / Like

KJD61 -

I printed your response and gave to a co-worker who is going to Disney next month.
    His wife has just started the gluten free diet and she is a bit overwhelmed by it.

Your respone was a big help to her.
    Thank you!
    James

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: