Quantcast POR & Monorail

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: POR & Monorail

Post Thanks / Like

Default POR & Monorail

Being it is our first trip to WDW, we desperately want to ride on the monorail...However, we are staying at POR and I was wondering how do we go about incorporating a ride on the monorail without going too far out of our way??

If we do have to go out of our way it is no biggie...

Bonus points to anyone who can explain the best way to have a 20 something, 30 something, and pre-teen ask to ride in the captain's area of the monorail Can you tell I am a teacher olo
    Summer '90 Disneyland as a kid with my parents and grandmother

August '08 POR with DH and DS

January '14 CSR with just DH

November '14 CBR with DH, DS, DN (dear niece)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Many ways to enjoy the monorail ...

Have a meal at Chef Mickey's, and then ride the monorail the long way around the lagoon to Magic Kingdom ... or transfer at TTC and ride to Epcot.

Park hop from Magic Kingdom to Epcot, or the reverse.

There are other ways, but these are the first 2 that come to mind.

As for asking to ride up-front ... don't be embarassed about ages ... I'm sure the CMs have seen it all and then some. Just make sure you ask the CM who works on the platform, not the pilot him/herself.

Post Thanks / Like

What's your arrival day like? This is usually when my family enjoys riding the monorail. If we get there in late afternoon or early evening and don't want to use a park day, then we'll ride the bus to either Epcot or MK and then ride the monorail to the opposite park and then head back to the resort via bus.

And don't be worried about being too old to ride up front. I'm 24 and do it almost every trip. It's not just a little kid thing, trust me! Have a magical trip!
    First Trip to Disney World; age 4 1/2; 01/89 CBR
    15+trips staying at CBR, Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, AsSp, AsMu, AsMo, POP!, GF, WL, Fort Wilderness.
    Resent Trips;
    03/04; POP!
    03/05; POP!
    06/06; POP! (Honeymoon!)
    03/07; AsMo
    09/08; AsMu

Post Thanks / Like

The best monorail trip, in my opinion, is from the TTC to Epcot, since you go around Future World on your way to the Wpcot stop (and it is so worth the wait to ride in the front car!).

I would take the bus from POR to MK, enjoy MK a bit, and then head over to Epcot (for some rides, or maybe even just for dinner).

Don't worry at all about asking to ride up front, DH & I rode up front on our honeymoon, and no one minded that we asked at all! Just be nice, and you'll probably only have to wait a trip or two.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by ibelieveindisneymagic; 08-20-2008 at 09:48 PM. Reason: making the post make sense
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

GaDisneyGal Guest

Talking

We are also staying at POR on our upcoming trip in October. My family has a long standing tradition of riding the monorail on the day we arrive. My parents started this when I was a little girl and my husband and I have carried it on with our children. For the last three times we've visited we have also added a character meal at one of the resorts on the monorail and that has been a huge hit with the kids. Typically we don't go into the parks on our first day, so it's a good way to get some Disney magic without the park admission.

Post Thanks / Like

Love GaDisneyGal's tradition....We usually do a family dinner the day of arrival....This year it was Chef Mickey's....Sometimes, we take the boat to FW, and do Trails End the first evening....and then do MK....

Since your trip is so close, you probably couldn't add an ADR...Don't know if or where you have an ADR for the arrival day...may I suggest that on the first day, take the resort bus to EPCOT, then take the EPCOT monorail to the Transortation and Ticket Center, and the Express Monorail from the TTC to the MK....goes right through the Contemporary....when you are ready to return to your resort, simply take the bus for that resort from in front of the MK....
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

These are all great suggestions. The only thing I'll add is that it is MUCH easier to get up front on the Express or Epcot monorails than from a resort station. The Express and Epcot front cab policy allows guests to go to the next station only (i.e. point to point). There are two policies for the Resort monorail, and they are enforced by different people at the same time. This creates as many disappointed guests as delighted ones.

Midday is also the best time to get up front, when the crowds on the monorail are lightest. Sometimes we ride around with no one up front this time of day! Not as fun as far as I'm concerned. A 20-something, 30-something and pre-teen would be most welcome
    CaptainDisney, aka Kevin

Former CP, Fall 2007
    Seasonal Cast Member: Monorail Pilot

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: