Quantcast Ice's Long Strange Trip Report - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

ROLLING RIGHT ALONG....
    After seeing the family off, we hopped a bus over to EPCOT since we had dining plans for Akershus with the Princesses that evening (eat yer heart out Genie!) Upon our arrival we saw the Jamitors, Goofed around on some rides (especially Soarin'... and the Land), and then headed to World Showcase where we ran into Belle in her blue outfit... nyah nyah nyah since Genie said "Grrrrrr!" Before that, as we made the circuit from the right side of World Showcase, we visited Canada first, taking in Oh! Canada in Circlevision; considered France (but opted not to after waiting a few) but we did stop at the outside Bistro and ate there (yummers!) We next went to China where we saw the Dragon acrobats, the Tomb Warriors exhibit and listened to some music there as well. We eventually made it to our dinner reservation and afterwards leisurely strolled about the World Showcase since we weren't in any hurry (to walk off dinner). We eventually went back to Futureworld where I was "allowed" to ride Journey into your Imagination... we tried at some point that day to hit Universe of Energy, but it was experiencing some problems so we dallied a bit more before eventually packing it in for the night.

Our next day, Tuesday, was our "Off Day", where we did laundry and went to Downtown Disney for our BIG shopping.
    We had late reservations for the Hoop de Doo Review (our first time) so we actually after shopping, laundry, and some internet, took a nap for a few hours! Ah, how absolutely decadent!
    We loved the Hoop de Doo! And talk about over-feeding people? Geez! Of course, our waiter was as funny as the show itself, and we even managed a little sneak-peak of the Halloween party as we got off and on the boat and buses... the colors and lighting and fog effects and eerie music only made me wanna go all the way in, but as it turned out, when we checked with the concierge earlier, that night had sold out several weeks ago! Oh well...

Wedneday we started off at the Disney Hollywood Studios to see if we could finally get on Toy Story Midway Mania... as we approached it, we overheard people talking about how the day before they actually ran out of and had to shut down the FastPass machine! We got there and the line was maybe 30 minutes, so we got FastPasses and then got in line. 30 minutes was closer to 35-ish, and we got in and the competition began! Now, my wife is EXTREMELY competetive, and has never lost at Buzz Lightyear, so she assumed the outcome on Toy Story would be the same. However, after the first 2 games I was in the lead (to which she first used the excuse that since she had had her carpal tunnel surgery her hand just wasn't up to snuff, then she said something I shan't repeat!) but she quickly overtook me and beat me! So much for that...
    We hit the Backstage Tour since we were right there before heading over for a turn on Tower of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster and then back to Toy Story for our FP.
    We headed back to ToT and the Standby time said 120 minutes!!!! Everyone else was like, "no way", but I decided to ask the CM by the FP machines if that was correct. She gave me such a shocked look, and asked "are you sure it says 120?" I said yeah, so she got on her phone to check and I waited... and sure enough, there had been some error and it should have read 20 minutes, so we ran for it! Problem was, it probably should've been more like 30 or 35, but oh well. We'd been in contact with Rock.i/Dotrocks/TinkRocks etc etc... gosh she has a few names! Anyway, we decided to meet up at DTD for a quick nosh and meet, and so we left the DHS, just as it started to storm...
    We got to DTD and wasted some time at the little shop where everything is $10 or under and the adjoining shop (where I bought a cheesy bent up looking Straw Cowboy hat that looked like the one we got on VMK or the one Brett Michaels wears) and as Rocks got closer we headed over to the Earl's. She told us to go ahead and order... and our food was just getting ready as she arrived. We sat and chatted and visited and eventually walked around some over to the World of Disney where she kept insisting that I should consider picking up a "My Little Pony"... uh, yeah? Really Rock.i?
    After a while we all hugged and parted ways... it's always good to get to meet the people behind the avatars! Next stop from DTD was the Animal Kingdom, where the drizzling continued as we entered the park for EMH.We were on the character path to see Lilo & Stitch, so we whipped out our wee tiny umbrella's and waited. After getting our pictures, we made our way over to Everest, but by then the rain had become solid and steady again, and we overheard that because of the outside segment of the ride they were temporarily closing Everest. Well, we were wet, hot, tired, and the only major reason we had gone to AK (other than it was EMH and we wanted to see what it looked like after dark-ish) was to ride Everest as much as possible, and since that was not an option, we decided to call it a day.

So there ya got 3 days in one report!!!! Up next, what was supposed to be our last day in the parks and at WDW!!!! Don't miss the action... it gets crazy from here!!!!
    AKA: FlyingIceman - Ice Rocker
    DLR every Summer from '67 - '76
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04
    WDW Christmas '04 (ASMusic)
    WDW Christmas '06 (Pop Century)

DLR Oct. '07 (Paradise Pier)

WDW Sept. '08 (ASMovies & PO French Quarter)
    Next Trip? Christmas '10

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

GRRRRRRR GGGRRRRR I want my picture with Belle in her Blue dress
    DLand character wanted list.

1. DUMBO 2. BLUE FAIRY 3. TARZAN 4. BRER RABBIT 8. JOHN SMITH 9. LAUNCH PAD 11. LOTSO 14. GYPSY

Post Thanks / Like

Very efficient reporting

Too bad you missed Everest at night it is by far the best ride in WDW.

I warned you about the Halloween Party it's the best party at WDW and they give you cnady what more could you want. Maybe next year I will have to fly down in October and drag you through the gates.

And what do you mean allowed to ride JIYI Seeing is a right not a privelage.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Great report Ice!

Quote Originally Posted by wizardmickey View Post
    Christy told me later that her normally laid-back Dad tightly clutched her arm on one side and the side rail of the elevator car on the other and shouted "Oh! Oh booooooy!"
    That sounds like what my mom did to me. She had a death grip on my one arm then another grip on the side rail. She wasn't so pleased I made us sit in the front row however instead of "Oh! Oh boy!" she said something I can't repeat here

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    See Dino my trip reports may take forever to be completed but they have impact on others
    Well perhaps if you did them a bit faster it could have a better impact on people.
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Now now people... Everyone moves at their own pace, so let's try to play nice?
    I'll go more into our almost opportunity for MNSSHP soon, but if anyone has the urge in the future to fly down here and drag my carcass though the gates for future partys... Please at least give me some warning so I can prepare? You can even have any candy I get!
    I should explain being "allowed" to ride such attractions as JIYI or GMR; my wife feels about them the certain parties feel about IASW! She also is nor fond of COP, so she has to really be in a good mood to go on them with me if at all!
    And yeah, I think I still have some permanent bruising from the very first time a certain Lady Ice and I rode TOT! On the plus side, everyone involved was willing to ride it again... Had time not been a factor!

Back to the story tonight!
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04

Next Trip? Christmas '10

Post Thanks / Like

I warned you about the Halloween Party it's the best party at WDW and they give you cnady what more could you want. Maybe next year I will have to fly down in October and drag you through the gates.
    He's not kidding either. BrerFran & Queen can attest to that also. Funniest part is before we even left the food place, he had gone through the line outside 4 times and we just had gone once. We'd turn around and off he went!

I was debating about hitting the one out here at DCA, but I do have to admit the one at WDW is sooo much better. With the candy stations, you had the parade, the fireworks and the show in front of the castle. And the lady in front of the Mansion. It was DEFINITELY worth seeing.

And thanks Ice for the Relics CDs! Got them this week!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad the CD arrived and hope that a) the right "autograph" got in the right envelope & b) that ya like it!
    I REALLY liked the Halloween party at DCA, so I guess i'll have to try the WDW version someday - once we lift the ban on travelling during Hurricane Season...
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04

Next Trip? Christmas '10

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a good time Brother.
    Thats a great trip report you did
    Thanks for sharing your photos.
    Looking Forward to the Future...
    Nah its not easy, No one said it would be,But look behind ya, yeah im still here ;-)

aka/Piratesrider

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha awesome stories, Ice.i, they are so funny. I love your reports!
    Inferno. RIP VMK.
    -Happiest Place On Earth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wizardmickey View Post
    I should explain being "allowed" to ride such attractions as JIYI or GMR; my wife feels about them the certain parties feel about IASW! She also is nor fond of COP, so she has to really be in a good mood to go on them with me if at all!
    You said it was extremely and sticky out so just change a word or 2 in the attraction title to get her to ride.

"Journey into Air Conditioning with Figment"

"Carousel of Cool Air"
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I'll have to remember Journey into Air Conditioning if we go again...

Great report and pics Ice. You and Queen Ice always look so cute together. I'm so jealous you got to meet Rocks!
    Last visit to Disneyland : Oct/07
    WDW: Sept/06!!

Dreaming of the next trip...

Post Thanks / Like

You said it was extremely and sticky out so just change a word or 2 in the attraction title to get her to ride.

"Journey into Air Conditioning with Figment"

"Carousel of Cool Air"
    Hmm then how about you look at Small World like

"It's A Cool World After All"
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb26 View Post
    Hmm then how about you look at Small World like

"It's A Cool World After All"
    Last time I checked neither of the attractons I changed the names of had anything to do with Evil Dolls
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Intercot Staff
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Last time I checked neither of the attractons I changed the names of had anything to do with Evil Dolls
    You mean the "Evil Dolls Attack Figgie" ride. That might be worth going to see.

Autographs? I need to look in that box Ice. Just saw the case with the disks in it and didn't look further.

Post Thanks / Like

For Figgie: Love the suggestions for the renaming of those attractions! The Missus laughed and said; "well, I did give in because they were air conditioned, so be sure to mention how good I was" (she was never GOOD BTW!!!)
    Dino: It was a cool cool world! And dry too!
    Tea: Thanks! She makes me look better than I really do in real life! And yes, it was very cool meeting Rocks! I really hope over time I'll get to meet more of ya!
    Cat: Inside of the insert for the CD have of the disc is a special picture just for Intercot/VMK people, as well as a little signature from me. The problem was, I personalized each one and set them out for mailing, and had meant to place them in their matching envelopes, but Christy took it on herself to package them up and mail them while I was at work... so I'm hoping the right signatures got into the right envelopes! BTW, hope ya enjoy track #9 on the CD!!!!!

And now... Here we gooooooooo…..
    Our “Final” day was supposed to have been on 9/11, and we usually try to bookend our trips by starting off and then ending in the Magic Kingdom. We were pretty excited as well because we’d been told that there would be a “Special Patriot” Flag Lowering ceremony to commemorate 9/11, and we really wanted to see that! We had seen the standard ceremony at DLR and that alone was enough to make ya all misty eyed, so we just knew there wasn’t gonna be a dry eye around Main Street that day… boy, were we ever right!
    We spent the day in the usual way just sorta bopping around from ride to ride. The crowds had gotten larger as the week went on and the lines were getting longer, so since we had no real agenda we simply cruised from land to land seeing what had the shortest lines and that would dictate what we rode. Luckily, we managed a few more Space Mountain’s, Big Thunder Mountain’s, some Buzz Lightyear’s, Philharmagic, Small World a few Haunted Mansions and Pirates as well as the parade.
    We had dining reservations for the Blah Blah at 4, so we made our way to that area a little early. NOTE: we initially had plans for the Spirit of Aloha Luau, but that would have meant not getting to see Specromagic, so we changed those plans in order to make sure we got that and Wishes in under our belt this trip. Anyway, as we were being called in, it began to rain… and it wasn’t a nice light rain as we have experienced there before, but a genuine thunder bumper! At first we thought the loud booms we were hearing had been coming from the Castle fireworks, but then we noticed that the characters weren’t up on the stage and people were running toward the front gate. Hmmm, this might put a damper on Spectromagic and Wishes maybe?
    So we took our time eating… and even forced ourselves to order dessert since it was free on the Dining Plan. Eventually though, we couldn’t just take up a table while those poor unfortunate souls stood outside like wet rats waiting for their turn, so we pulled our umbrella’s from our backpack (which had gotten quite a workout the day it rained at the Animal Kingdom… luckily it kept everything inside dry!) and we headed out the door. Around this time, as we tried to decide what to do if it didn’t stop raining, our iphones began to ding with email message alerts, and it wasn’t entirely good news! It was Continental Airlines advising us that flights would be canceled in the Houston area and possibly Alexandria the next day, so Christy began dialing them up to see what our options were. It turned out that our flights were already canceled and the next available flights would be on Sunday… So while she dealt with them and getting new confirmation info we made our way over to Guest Services to contact the All-Star Movies to see if we could extend our stay. Guest Services put us on the phone with the Front Desk and we were extended 2 more nights, but we’d have to come down to the lobby, check-out and then check back in again. I asked if we’d have to wait for a new room or would we be able to check right back in and we were assured there would be no problem.
    So with all that done, we stood out on the porch of Guest Services as the 5 o’clock Flag Ceremony was getting near. There’d been an announcement that it was “being delayed due to circumstances beyond our control and we apologize for any inconveniences”. A line of CM’s ringed the flag area with hands folded behind their backs, unmoving in the torrential downpour! It was some sight! Nearly 15 minutes after the last announcement (which meant these CM’s had been standing in the rain for almost half an hour by now with nothing to keep the rain off of them) the loudspeaker announced “we are sorry, but the Special Patriot Flag Ceremony to commemorate 9/11 has been canceled for the day… we apologize and hope you enjoy the rest of your day with us here at the Magic Kingdom.”
    So now we had decisions to make… according to the radar tracker on my iphone (amazing device) it was showing that the storm cell was moving over and away from our current location. So, we decided to try to stick it out and see if it would let up. We hit the Emporium and just dragged around (I think we wound up buying some more stuff) and suddenly noticed that the rain had stopped! It was maybe 6:30 or so, and what few people that had stayed throughout the storm were already finding spots for Spectromagic, so we decided to do the same. We ended up sharing a bench with some really cool people and stayed at our spot for Wishes, at which time we left for the night, fully believing that would be the end of our visits to the park.

The next morning, since we weren't too sure what we were in for, we packed our stuff and made our way to the lobby to check out and check back in. The line was ridiculously long! In the interim, Christy had gone to the foodcourt and cashed out as much of what was left on our Dining Plan (getting fruit and muffins and stuff from our leftover snacks) and come back before I got to the counter. After a while of checking the records, it was confirmed that only were we safe until Sunday, but that they had managed to keep us in the same room! Wow, had we even thought that was gonna happen, we wouldn't have drug all our stuff down with us. But, since we were back in the same room, we were able to go right back to our room, do some laundry and relax.
    We asked about 1) the Halloween party at the Concierge Desk and they looked it up... well, even if we had made the decision to go, we couldn't have as all dates for the entire time we had been there plus our extension had been sold out for at least a month or longer. So we considered maybe La Nouba, but changed our mind. We also found out 2) that we still had Sit-Down Meals left on our plan that we could use before midnight that night, so we made reservations for Raglan Road for later that evening. With all of that done, we settled in for what we thought was only going to be a few extra days in FLorida... Little did we know...
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04

Next Trip? Christmas '10

Post Thanks / Like

Ice! Don't leave us on a cliffhangy like that! The suspense is killing me!
    Inferno. RIP VMK.
    -Happiest Place On Earth

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Ice talk about a cliff hanger

Can't wait to see what happens next!
    Chris

Recent Trips

January 09
    May 08
    Oct-Nov 07

May 07

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh Doll.i and Dino (and anyone else) - didn't mean to leave y'all hanging like that! Who knew you'd all be so riveted to find out what happens next!

Having blown our first day trapped, we decided that since we were worn out to take things easy. We did make plans to go to the Kona Cafe for some Sticky Wings and Kona Coffee around 4-ish, but other than that, nothing of serious importance. So we went to DTD and did a little more shopping...
    Why more shopping? Ok, when we initially checked our luggage at the start of our trip, my suitcase was about 32 lbs and Christy was about 35 lbs, which meant that I could still stuff up to my 50 lbs limit and Christy - since she is Elite - could cram up to 70 lbs. At the check-out/check-in from the day before, we found we were still way below our limits, so we figured "Hey, why not?"
    We eventually made our way over to the Wilderness Lodge (where we plan to stay next trip) just to look around. While we were there, I decided to try calling the guys in the band to see if they were fully recovered from Gustav and whether they were feeling any effects yet from Ike. I should mention that both Steve and Chris are difficult to get ahold of, even under the best of circumstances, and Chad is slightly behind the times as in that he has no answering machine at his house nor does he have a cell phone. Still, he's usually the easiest to reach, so I dialed him first, and he was home! I asked how everyone was and he said Ike was kicking up some powerful winds and causing tornado's all about the area - the rain this time was steady but not as long or predicted to be as powerful as Gustav. I told him about the delay and he asked when were we rescheduled; this being Saturday, I told him tomorrow (which would've been Sunday - following me so far?) Chad was silent for a moment, then he asked "Are you sure?" I felt a bit cold... "Yeah. I'm pretty sure. We have confirmations." He went on to tell me what a waiter at Raglan Road the day before had said he'd seen on CNN - our airport was losing power again and the news showed Houston getting it's rear handed to it. So while I talked with Chad I signaled Christy to call Continental, and guess what? He was right... everything was being canceled on us again! I thanked Chad for the info and got off the phone so we could again call our resort to extend. Christy said to hold on and wait until we knew for sure as it looked like there was a chance we could get on a different flight Sunday which would only mean we'd need a later check-out. This being decided, we headed over to the Polynesian for some time wasting/shopping and then eating.

The next morning we got up early... just in case... and sure enough, we had now found out that Ike had indeed not only shut down Houston and Alexandria, but we couldn't even get back into the state through Lafayette or Shreveport and then rent a car!!!! So, at our scheduled late check-out time, we went down to see about extending - again. This time though, there was a problem...
    As I mentioned at the very beginning of this story, Disney has heavily pushed special incentives (such as FREE Dining Plans & discounted room packages) and the people have heard and they had responded. That morning, the lines in the lobby were OUTRAGEOUS!!! We finally go to the counter and found out that our room was already reserved in advance and so was every room in the resort - 600 guests were checking in that morning!!!!
    What to do? What to do???
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04

Next Trip? Christmas '10

Post Thanks / Like

(Hmmm... should I leave them hanging again for a few more days? Gosh, I don't think even I can stand the suspense any longer!)
    Finding ourselves being "evicted" from the All-Star Movies, we were put on the phone to see if anything else was available. An Executive decision was made by me NOT to stay at another All-Star resort at that time if possible, so of the choices offered us and within the budget we had available, I picked the Port Orleans French Quarter (so we could maybe feel a little more at home... ironic huh?) The staff and CM's we spoke to on the phone were very helpful... all we needed to do was bring our luggage down and they'd move it over for us (it would take about 2-3 hours). We were told the easiest way to get to our new resort was to ride to DTD and then catch a Water Taxi over to Port Orleans. So we went and got our luggage and set off for the French Quarter!
    It didn't take as long we thought it was going to reach our desired destination, so once we arrived at the French Quarter we had to wait and wait and wait and wait (and wait) until about 4:30 for our room. Once we got in to it, we were pleased... not only by the room, but by the French Quarter overall!!! Having visited the real deal several times and even spent part of our Honeymoon there, we were familiar with the French Quarter (and it's rather seedy reputation, made worse since Katrina.) Well, Disney's Port Orlean's French Quarter was very reminisent of the real thing... only clean! It made us think of what the Big Easy must've looked like when it was still young, freshly painted, new and clean! There were no maddening crowds of screeching kids... no bums passed out on the corners or people wanting to bet you they could tell you were you got your shoes (BTW: If you're ever in New Orleans and you're approached by someone betting you this, just smile and say "I got my shoes on my feet!" Then keep on WALKIN'!)
    We waited in our room for our luggage, which arrived about 40 minutes after we did, then we did some more laundry (enough to now last us until Tuesday + 1 day) and walked over to Boatwright's for dinner at pretty close to 10. It had been a loooooong day... so once back to our room we crashed.

The next day (Monday) we felt guilty about being there so many extra days and not having actually visited any parks. This wasn't a problem as we had arrived with 1) an unexpired day leftover from our last trip - 2) 10 days on an new card that had no expiration on it - and 3) a 1 day pass we had to purchase when we had upgraded our reservations in order to recieve the Free Dining Package = meaning we had 12 days and had so far only used 6 of them. Anyway, we decided to hit DHS early to hit the good stuff and then hop over to MK so we could still end our trip the way we were accustomed to.
    Waiting for the bus at the Moderate Resorts vs. the Value Resorts is a vastly much better experience! and once we reached DHD, the crowds early that morning weren't too bad, so we hit Toy Story right away... and lo and behold, I FINALLY WON!!!!! We spent the better part of the morning going back and forth from that end of the park to TOT & R&RC, really just not rushing ourselves too badly. By midday the crowds were starting to swell (along with my feet... which BTW; did I mention we think I either sprained my left foot or did something else to it on like day 4 and had been either wrapping that foot and ankle with wraps from the gift shops or wearing two socks to cushion my foot? No? Oh well, now ya know...) We hopped our way over to MK.
    Crowds there weren't much better, and we checked the board at the hub to see what wait times were. On some things they were still averaging 25-35 minutes, but on others it was upwards of 45-55 minutes... and this was a Monday during the slow season!?!?! WOW!!!
    We hit what we wanted at our liesure and eventually found ourselves wearing out and getting extremely hot and nasty (which meant riding the Evil Dollz ride again as well as a few others like Pirates and Haunted Mansion!) We gave it some serious thought, and decided that - just in case there were problems in the morning - perhaps we should not try to stay until closing and instead get us some rest. So we left on a high note and bid the parks goodbye... again.

Now the fun begins the next morning when we don't find the happy little envelope on our door from DME. So we gather our belongings and head downstairs to the DME counter... In line at the counter was a group who also had had their travel planes changed and were now leaving that afternoon; behind them and in front of us was (no aspersions meant to my very wonderful Canadian friends on here... Ice LOVES people from everywhere!) a Canadian family that wasn't scheduled to get on the DME bus for another 4 hours, then us and another couple behind us (big difference from the lines at the All-Stars!). Both us and the couple behind us were supposed to be on the bus that would be leaving in approximately 20 minutes, and they were having some trouble with the guy at the counter trying to find his flight and such to print his boarding pass (he wasn't being a problem though.) The CM who was "policing" the line kept asking everyone where they were going, what time their flight was, did we have DME reservation #'s and so on. Once she pieced things together, she realized it was crucial that we especially get to the counter ASAP since she knew we were going to probabaly have some time consuming issues as well, and as a result, it was possible that us and the couple beind us would either miss our bus or have to take our luggage with us. So, she very politely asked the Canadian fella in front of us if he'd mind stepping out of line long enough to allow the guests behind him who needed to catch the next bus to be taken care of... and he became VERY RUDE and refused... shouting at everyone "I've got cranky kids, a tired wife, and I've been standing here for 10 MINUTES!!!! I am NOT getting out of this line!!!!" TO which my wife coldly told the CM loud enough for the insensitive clod in front of us to hear, "Don't worry, it's not worth causing a scene. Let him go ahead..." then she leaned forward and said, "If we miss our connection, I'll be sure to remember this man and how he made it happen." He turned I think to say something, and then thought better when he caught me glaring at him with arms folded.
    When we finally got up, they couldn't find our reservations... there was a problem even though we had our numbers from Continental. So we couldn't check our luggage, which was a minor inconvenience. We barely caught our bus, and so did the couple behind us.

At the airport, we hit Continental's counter, only to find out that since they had bumped us over to Northwest in order to make sure we got home (and routed us through Memphis) we had to head for the NW counter. Now, I have flown a handful of times in my life... but my wife probably averages as many miles in a 6 month period as I have accumulated in my entire flying history, so the airport is her domain! When she took off for the NW counter, she took off!! Of course, her idea of a "fast walk" is equal to breaking into a full run for me, and I almost lost her twice trying to keep up while not mowing people over. We got to Northwest, and sure enough that was why DME couldn't find us. As they checked our luggage, the girl said "that'll be $30". "What?" the wife asked a bit angrilly. NW wanted to charge us... it was their new policy. Yes, we understood that, but technically our flights had been booked back in February and were through their partner airline... at first she wouldn't budge, until Christy pulled her Elite card out, at which time the lady apologized and handed us our passes, which were marked for "random screening". Yay!!!!
    After finally clearing security, we found our gate and waited... and within less than an hour we were winging our way first to Memphis and then to Alexandria.

As much as we looooooove WDW and didn't mind being stuck there for an extra 4 days, it was nice to finally be home... were the weather was a good 15-20 degrees lower than what it had been when we left Florida!!!!
    So, that ends my part of the story... now for a little Post-Script from the Queen, my dear sweet Lady Ice, who noticed I left out some interesting highlights from this story...
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04

Next Trip? Christmas '10

Post Thanks / Like

POST SCRIPT

...as dictated by the Lady Ice...
    I was informed that I had left out what my darling dear wife considered to be some of the more "humorous" moments from my version of the Trip Report, to which I said "well next time sit here with me as I do it and help me fill in the gaps woman!" After I picked my self up off the floor, she said "why not a little bit for me at the end?" So....

There was a lot of dancing this trip... Christy's Dad isn't known for his gracefullness, but for some reason, the man can dance! This occurred several times - in line for Pirates he began a jig and the entire family either followed suit or began singing modified lyrics to the song; before and after the Tiki Room he led us all on another dancing fit; at EPCOT while in line at the Character Connection as some grooved up salsa was playing; and at the pyramid in Mexico where Christy's Mom took the spotlight and showed us some moves.

Did I mention how soaked her brother, Dad & niece got on Kali River Rapids? So much so, that in the picture of their return, Dad - who had on a medium blue shirt before getting on - returned with dark blue shirt with only a few dry spots the size of a dime on him!

Faith really brought tears to Christy's eyes seeing her niece actually meet the character's for her first time! It was like magic!!

Faith was also quite a trooper, riding not only Kali River and Dinosaur (both of which she loved) but also Big Thunder Mountain, which she declared the "most awesome ride ever!" I managed to hold up and pivot the camera as we rode, so I caught Ty and Faith behind us and Mom and Dad in front of us - odd, everyone in that family screams like little girls on rollercoasters???

We found out the hard way that the camels spit on the Magic Carpets ride...

There was WAR during Buzz Lightyear!!! Since I knew I wasn't going to win no matter what, I snatched control of our vehicle to simply blast the rest of the family behind us (and videotape them in the process while Ty screamed and giggled like a girl!) This of course, angered miss competition... OUCH!!!! "More dictating and less ad-lib!!!"

Mom & Christy absolutely crying during the dinner in the castle.

Fruit cups when picked up from the food court in order to run out snack's on our dining plan can not and should not be left sitting unrefigerated for 2 days. After that time, you begin hearing strange noises at night and you're not sure what they are, until suddenly there is a loud popping explosion and we both jump out of bed to find fermented fruit sitting on top of the TV.

Disney's special Fairytale Champaign is more likely to induce nauseau, vomiting and slightly nighmarish dreams. Since we had so many off days there at the end, we decided to stay in and "celebrate" and looked for a bottle with the highest alcohol content. At first, the idea of spending $25 on a bottle of champaign just didn't feel right, but we did it, and upon opening it, we both agreed that the fermented fruit bowl smelled at least 10 times better than this stuff!!! But, having spent that much on it, it had to be consumed... even if we had to hold our noses and wince with each sip. As we drifted off to sleep, my stomach (normally made of cast iron) became ill & I spent a portion of the night encamped in the bathroom. Neither of us slept well that night... some fairytale!!!

Christy created a slightly risque poem as we visited the ride of the Evil Dollz on I think our 4th go around.... why this popped into her head, I'll never know, but she timed it so well all I could do was laugh until it hurt;
    "I see London, I see France
    I can see their underpants
    !" She considers this her payback for a certain song my band performs at our shows and placed on the CD... ooops, almost let the cat out of the bag on that... pretend (unless you've already heard it) that I didn't say anything....

BTW; Christy's Dad seemed to enjoy parts of iasw... in particular the part where the Dolls are yodeling. Since he was having so much fun yodeling with them, I began "answering" or creating an echo to everything he yodeled, which of course only further annoyed certain parties who already did not want to be on the ride in the first place (and anyone else within earshot!)

I may have briefly mentioned Vivian losing her phone in the Animal Kingdom. After contacting Disney's Lost and Found, they were given a number to keep contacting and asked to fill out a report describing in it as great detail as they could. Their main concern wasn't so much losing the phone itself, but since they hadn't brought a camera, all of the pictures they had taken up to that point on their camera. Even though we assured them we'd burn discs of everything we took & the Photopass pictures, it just wasn't the same as they had taken special pictures of their daughter on her first trip...
    The night before they were supposed to leave, they called one last time to check and see if they could leave our names in case it was it was found so we could be allowed to pick it up... but it had already been found!!! And rather than try to make anyone come and get it, they mailed it to their home with a letter apologizing to them that their phone had been lost and hoping it didn't effect their vacation there. Go figure... somebody loses somthing, and Disney apologizes for it!!!!

We got free dessert at the Kona Cafe!!!! When we arrived, the waitress assigned us was waiting on a table that had what looked like 4 families with several special needs children and their siblings at it. Needless to say, there was some confusion upon getting their tickets taken care of and then the children wanting to thank the waitress and other staff each individually. This didn't bother us as we thought it was quite touching, but our waitress apologized over and over again. As we finished and ordered our pot of coffee at the end of our meal, we were informed that since we had been so patient and understanding, we could have any dessert we wanted for free. So go figure yet again!!!!

Well, that's we can think of right now.... we hope you all enjoyed this report as much as we enjoyed living it! Peace out y'all!!!!
    WDW Feb. '02

DLR Oct. '02

WDW Jan. '04

Next Trip? Christmas '10

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: