Quantcast Just got back...line etiquette questions - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    If that is the case and somebody needs to use the restroom or get a tasty beverage, then YOU ALL WAIT. Don't get into a line and expect your party to catch up. You should always be only as fast as your slowest person. If your slowest person means you have to wait to get into line, then DO SO.

Don't think you have the right to get in front of me when I have standing idle in a slow moving line because you decided to do something else and your party didn't want to wait for you.
    There wasn't a slow moving line. The line just formed. And since I was going through a turnstile, there wasn't a beverage dispenser, giving out "tasty beverages". Nor did I need a bathroom while walking through the front gates of MK.

I think for the most part, people don't just go and have lunch, while their party waits in line. And then expects for people to let them in line. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Obviously, here and @ WDW, the milk of human kindness is curdling.
    I love Walt Disney World!!!!! :)
    A Happy Visitor since 1974!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are so rushed to get on a ride and get it over with why bother?
    One of the main attributes of a ride (especially in WDW) is the build up. The detail and storyline in queue. If 2 or 3 people need to catch up with their family, so what, it adds 30-60 sec more to your wait? Slow down, enjoy the magic.
    July '78 - Offsite
    Aug '94 - Offsite
    Nov '96 - Offsite (honeymoon)
    Nov '97 - CBR (2nd honeymoon)
    Jul '04 - Offsite (DS & oldest DD B-day)

Nov '08 - POR (youngest DD b-day & 12th aniv.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmISeeKayEeWhy View Post
    If you are so rushed to get on a ride and get it over with why bother?
    One of the main attributes of a ride (especially in WDW) is the build up. The detail and storyline in queue. If 2 or 3 people need to catch up with their family, so what, it adds 30-60 sec more to your wait? Slow down, enjoy the magic.
    I couldn't agree more!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I am not talking, necessarily, about your situation. I am talking in general.

If a party splits up then that is there problem. If they want to ride together, they should get in line together.

I am a nice guy. However, I resent people who think they can walk half way up a line because their group decided to get into line before the whole group was ready.

A choice needs to be made... get in line now and wait until the bathroom, beverage, whatever or have the members of the group get the things they want and then get into line.

If the group can't decide and splits, then the group is split in line also. The fact that your group decided to split and my group decided to stay together doesn't mean you should have Carte Blanche to get in front of my group to catch up to yours.

Your group is welcome to drop back behind in line as long as the group behind mine will let you.

Post Thanks / Like

We was at Hollywood Studios in August and the CM's at Toy Story Mania was telling everyone there would no cutting in line to catch up to your party.

I see alot families that will get in line while one person takes all their tickets and goes and gets fast passes and then that one person expects to cut in front of everyone to catch back up.

Cast members told several people to get in the back of the line for TSM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's just the southern gentleman in me. I'm never in a rush. Many times I'll let people walk ahead of me so I can take in all the detail and not be rushed keeping up with queue. The ride will still be there when i get to it.. eventually :p
    July '78 - Offsite
    Aug '94 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

What I hate is getting into the Haunted Mansion. The line goes from big to a one-person line in a matter of seconds...so when some rude people cut me out, they get mad at me when I go around them to catch up with my mom. Um, no, I'm not "line cutting." I'm simply trying to get back to where I was supposed to be before you pushed your way in.

When I go with my family...all 10 of us have to hold hands just to push our way through the mess without getting separated. Sorry, but I want to take my vacation with my family...not random strangers that are trying to push me to the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    Thanks to Fast Pass, and avoiding the Speedway, I don't experience it as much as I once did...however, was once in line for Speedway with one of my DGD's....heard some commotion behind me, and saw a couple of teenagers joining some of their friends.....paused where I was, and waved to the people immediately behind them to join me....had about 12 people "join me" by passing the line junpers and their friends....hope I made a point!
    Love this!!!!!
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJessicaSparrow View Post
    Sadly, we are taught not to interfere or say anything . . . Because the cutting guests will go to Guest Relations and complain about how rude the CM's are and you know what will happen? . . .
    1) I personally know a CM that got in trouble for something close to this.
    2) In fact, the CM was fired.
    3) It was only through luck and the union that the CM got back.
    4) The fact is, a CM is supposed to do his/her job, and that is all.
    5) And, the "job" typically does not include disciplining guests.
    6) In some respects, WDW is like the Old West, where guests rule supreme.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll apologize in advance if I offend anyone, but I have a strong black & white opinion about this issue.

Cutting in Line is Cutting in line, and it is WRONG, no matter what the circumstances, whether your party is accidentally split up, or you need to go to the bathroom or have medical issues or some other excuse.
    Personally, I don't sweat it though; If someone attempts to pass me to join someone else up ahead, I politely tell them, "Sure, even though I have been waiting, and you haven't, I'll gladly let you go by because I'm a nice person who thinks of others first, unlike most people" or something to that effect. Then they look at me dumbfounded, some of them get embarrassed and red in the face and apologize, and some just ignore me. I can live with it, and it is certainly not worth getting into a physical altercation over. But that still does not make it right, or even ok.

But just because one may choose to excuse a line cutter, or even if you believe that certain circumstances justify it being excused, doesn't make it right behavior. Cutting in line is ethically and morally WRONG, period, and their is no exceptions that make it ethically or morally right, there are only reasons for you to maybe forgive or excuse those who do it.

1. If you want to ride or sit together on an attraction, then GET in and STAY in line TOGETHER. If you get split up accidentally, then find each other BEFORE getting in line or ride separately.
    2. If someone in your party has to go to the bathroom, then everyone in your party should wait for them BEFORE getting in line, or else they should be willing to ride separately.
    3. If you are already in line and somebody, even a child, has to go to the bathroom, then everyone in the party should be willing to either go to the back of the line, or be willing to ride separately for that attraction. You can always meet up at the exit, it won't hurt you.
    3. If the standby line appears too long for your child or other party member to wait before having to have make a trip to the potty, then either go get a fast pass BEFORE getting in line, or come back another time when the line is shorter.
    4. If you have trouble standing for the length of time the standby line will take, either go get a fast pass or come back when the line is shorter. Better yet, go rent a wheelchair and wait in line with the rest of us.
    5. Just because one has a bladder problem or medical problem or some unusual physical condition does NOT give them a "right" to cut in line, and impose upon or inconvenience other guests.
    6. If one honestly and truly has a physical condition that prevents waiting in a que, that still does not give them a right to cut in line, instead they should make arrangements with guest services for special passes. Otherwise, **** it up and join the crowd, in the BACK of the line, like everyone else who follows the rules.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I'm just in the minority. I figure hey if their experience involves in getting on and off attractions as fast as possible, let them. I rather take my time and enjoy the surroundings. Besides, if an extra 30-60 seconds throws you off schedule because a few people catch up to family, then I'd find some good stress relief quick.
    July '78 - Offsite
    Aug '94 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

So much for relaxing while on vacation!

I suppose there will always be two sides to this debate! And I guess I'm in the minority too.

I'd rather see a parent/grandparents/kids, ride It's A Small World, together, and not seperately, even if it's not my party...They shouldn't all have to pay, because Grandma had to suddenly run to the ladies room.

I guess most people would rather have this scenario..., " Okay everyone, , get out of line, because Grandma's bladder is fuller than she thought", and she didn't put enough thought into her bathroom breaks", we'll ride another time!

I've heard of planning, but that's ridiculous

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather see a parent/grandparents/kids, ride It's A Small World, together, and not seperately, even if it's not my party...They shouldn't all have to pay, because Grandma had to suddenly run to the ladies room.

It was not just one person, but 6. There obviously was no reasonable excuse. Before we got in line for this ride the party was trying to enter the line all with sodas and the CM told them they had to throw it away. It is just plain out unethical to pass people in line no matter what justifications you have for it. That is what a fastpass is for. If you want to get to the front of the line faster, then do not inconvenience other people in the process and get a fast pass. I was also bothered that my own party got separated because of these people that passed us. I have just as much right to keep part of my party together as they did, but they should have done it the proper way. I guess I just have respect for the people in front of me not to pass them.

I did not let it ruin my vacation. Now I actually find it pretty comical. Especially the part where the lady says "I am not passing you because I am with these people in front of you". Stupidity and rudeness reigned with these folks.
    Ashley
    DVC MEMBER
    January 1989- Contemporary
    July 2001- Grand Floridian
    September 2005- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    September 2006- Grand Floridian
    September 2007- Contemporary
    September 2008- Polynesian
    March 2009- All Star Movies
    December 2009- Bay Lake Tower 2 bedroom MK view!

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from a fun week myself. On another trip I had 2 teenage girls duck under the "ropes" and cut right in front of my wife and I. I started saying to my wife while clenching my teeth, just loud enough so they could hear me. "oh my god...I can't believe it...they cut....in front .....of us. this makes me so ANGRY...what am I going to DO". One of the girls turns around and sees me..all 250 pounds covered head to toe(litterally) with tattoos, and gives me that oops smile. I leaned over to her and said "get out"....kinda like Mom would do when you did something bad in a store, and she didn't want to yell and make a scene. I really wasn't that mad though, and it was more funny than anything else. they left the line though, and we chuckled.

2x in the 80's (off property)
    99 CBR
    00 DDR Marriott (got engaged)
    02 DDR Marriott
    02 POFQ (1st anniversary)
    04 CBR (3rd anniversary)
    06 POR (ds 1st bday)
    SEPT 08 CBR (7th anniversary)
    Jan 11 Polynesian

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they should. Again, you should be only as fast as the slowest person in the group. First off, it is only fair to the person who has to go to the restroom. Second, it is only fair to those who are in line not to have other people surf through the line to get to the other people in their party who are too inconsiderate to wait.

I do NOT think I am inconsiderate to not allow somebody to pass by me in line. Again, those people in front of me are welcome to get in line behind me and be together.

You know, I think the word, "NO" needs to enter more people's vocabulary.

No, you can't go ahead and get in line while we wait for Grandma.

No, you can't get ahead of me in line.

No works really well and I do think too many parents today have forgotten how to use that word with their children.

Post Thanks / Like

OKAY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    6. If one honestly and truly has a physical condition that prevents waiting in a que, that still does not give them a right to cut in line, instead they should make arrangements with guest services for special passes. Otherwise, **** it up and join the crowd, in the BACK of the line, like everyone else who follows the rules.
    So just curious, would you say the same thing of someone that has a family member in a wheelchair? Doesn't that mean they'd have to "separate" and make their family wait in line while they got in front?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LauraleeH View Post
    So just curious, would you say the same thing of someone that has a family member in a wheelchair? Doesn't that mean they'd have to "separate" and make their family wait in line while they got in front?
    In my experience people with a physically handicapped person in their party are allowed to stay together. This has happened to us. My DW broke her ankle one year while we were at WDW. We rented her a wheelchair and waited in queues like everyone else. When we needed to sit in a special section due to the wheelchair, we were all (4 in our party) allowed to sit with her in that section.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey378 View Post
    I just got back from a fun week myself. On another trip I had 2 teenage girls duck under the "ropes" and cut right in front of my wife and I. I started saying to my wife while clenching my teeth, just loud enough so they could hear me. "oh my god...I can't believe it...they cut....in front .....of us. this makes me so ANGRY...what am I going to DO". One of the girls turns around and sees me..all 250 pounds covered head to toe(litterally) with tattoos, and gives me that oops smile. I leaned over to her and said "get out"....kinda like Mom would do when you did something bad in a store, and she didn't want to yell and make a scene. I really wasn't that mad though, and it was more funny than anything else. they left the line though, and we chuckled.

haha^^this is fantastic. The majority of the line cutting that I see at Disney tends to be the parent with a small child scenario. Potty Break, heat, etc and I'm fine with that. I don't allow myself to get irked that easily. Plus, my family has adopted the "standing shoulder to shoulder" scenario as to block their way. If anything, it just makes their journey cutting a little more difficult and it's actually stopped a few.

The thing that really gets under my skin is the teenagers who know full well what they're doing trying to be cool while they're off on their own cutting. There's generally one who's leading the way and they're ALWAYS rude and obnoxious. Usually they jsut need to be embarrassed in front of their friends and they're pretty much back down so I applaud this. These generally are the kids that will also be swinging on ropes, spitting, swearing etc so I think it saves all the other people in line a lot of aggravation.
    8/08- Disneyland Resort (first time at DL!)
    8/06- Wilderness Lodge with family
    6/06 POP "Big Girls Trip with my sister
    ~loooong Disney Drought :(~
    2000- Dixie Landings
    1997- Dixie Landings
    1995-Dixie Landings
    1992- Dixie Landings
    numerous small trips to WDW from 89-92 OP

--Kate

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know, it doesn't bother me. Maybe if 50 people got in front of me, but even 6 doesn't really effect my waiting time that much. Maybe I'm just oblivious. Even at work some people get so riled up at things that just don't bother me.
    2 weeks ago we saw some people drop out of line and wait for their party to catch up to them, that was shocking

'the only thing that counts is the love of duty; when love & duty are one, then grace is in you & you will enjoy a happiness which passes all understanding.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: