Quantcast Not-Worth-It Attractions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not-Worth-It Attractions

Hi everyone:

OK, this might be a tad controversial, but I was reading another thread about attractions people have never done, and as they listed them I kept finding myself thinking, "you're not missing much...you're not missing much..."

While everyone knows I'm a DW nut, there are quite a few attractions that, well, can be skipped. It's a matter of opinion of course, but what's your list? Here's mine:

• Country Bears - Boring, weird, and poorly maintained
    • Stitch - Bring back Alien Encounter!
    • It's a Small World - Boring & annoying
    • Tiki Birds - Under any management
    • Circle Vision movies - way outdated and boring
    • Sounds Dangerous - Why is that still there?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agree

I agree, however, Small World deserves much love. A ride that sings the same song throughout without skipping a beat. ROCKS!!!!
    PLEASE WAIT UNTIL THE RIDE COMES TO A COMPLETE STOP!!!

Post Thanks / Like

SOARIN!!!!!

that should cause some debate...ha

Anyways, here's my list

1) American Idol...yep already dead to me
    2) Soarin...sorry its really boring
    3) anything in chester and hester's dinorama
    4) Tiki Room
    5) Sounds Dangerous
    6) Honey I shrunk the kids playground
    7) Any movie at WS...all seem dated, even Canada's new one is still blah
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

The only ones I *intentionally* skip are Stitch, Tiki Room, and Kali River Rapids. The first two I skip because I liked the old ones better and I'd rather think of them that way than have my memories polluted. As for Kali, its rare I want to get that wet.

Any others I may skip on a trip usually have more to do with lines or just don't feel like taking the time to do them (the movies in WS). I have nothing against them that I *won't* see them, I just don't feel like it.

32 weeks!!
    Star light, star bright,
    first star I see tonight.
    I wish I may, I wish I might,
    have the wish, I wish tonight.
    We'll make a wish, and do as dreamers do,
    and all our wishes,
    will come true.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I have trouble dissing any attraction that Walt Disney himself was involved with...sure, he didn't always have the golden touch when it came to new attractions (as the early days of Disneyland can attest) That being said, certain attractions that some do find a bit boring or annoying like Small World and the Tiki Birds I do enjoy to some degree. For me, just knowing that Walt had something to do with it, keeps me coming back from time to time.

I do have my WDW "Bombs" List and here it is:

Stitch- I feel AE was much better!

Winnie the Pooh's Playful Spot? Remove 20K for that? You must be joking!

Toontown...sorry, I realize the little tykes may like it...but, um, I would like to see a better use of that whole area...

NY Street in DHS...other than the awesome Christmas display, what where they
    thinking...Maybe they want guests to Escape from NYC when walking down thru that cheesy section...run!

American Idol...geeze, let's just bring the Gong Show back!
    The Wiz of Diz

**First WDW visit 1973
    **WDW Annual Passholder since 1999

"Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Small World is a classic ride with a classic song. The presentation can be annoying due to the melody going through the whole ride but it is unique and very Disney.

I also enjoy Enchanted Tiki Room. Again, it is quintessential Disney. While I don't remember the original show, the new show doesn't bother me and my son liked it so I won't complain about it.

Country Bears I can't say anything about since I haven't seen it since 1983 and I have been to Disney four times since then.

Also, never tried Stitch so I cannot comment on it.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Dumbo and Barnstormer : Never have never will unless I have children

2. Hall of PresidentsL I had to sit through it once NEVER AGAIN I literally fell asleep

3.Beauty and the Beast Onstage: Why?

4. All the shows etc in WS: If I wanted to travel to those places I'd go there not come to WDW. Although I have done Maelstorm while waiting for Akershus.

5.Kilimanjaro Safari: If I wanted to look at animals I'd go to the Toronto Zoo.

There's more but those are the main ones.
    Upcoming trips to DL Hojo's Oct 19-25 and Pop Cen Dec 30 09-Jan 06 10

Pop Cen, Wilderness L, Disney Wonder, Coronado Spr Mar 8-16 09
    Pop Cen Dec 13-19 08 Jan 12-18 08 Sept 15-22 07 Jan 15-21 07 Sept 28-Oct 5 06 Aug 5-12 05
    All St Music Jan 6-11 05

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TakeMe2EPCOT View Post
    • Country Bears - Boring, weird, and poorly maintained
    • Stitch - Bring back Alien Encounter!
    • It's a Small World - Boring & annoying
    • Tiki Birds - Under any management
    • Circle Vision movies - way outdated and boring
    • Sounds Dangerous - Why is that still there?
    I strongly object to Country Bear Jamboree and It's A Small World being on that list. These are classics and we still enjoy them on every visit. However, I wouldn't mind an occasional update (such as recently done on HM) to keep them fresh.

Country Bear Jamboree - what ever happened to the multiple shows? They were alternating between the Jamboree and the Vacation Hoedown for a while, but have been stuck on the Jamboree for maybe a decade now. And why no Christmas show?

It's A Small World - I'm anxiously awaiting Disneyland's refurbishment to complete, as rumor has it that they are adding new show elements, such as Alice In Wonderland for the England segment. Perhaps WDW will follow suit as it did with HM.

But even without updates these attractions are still worth seeing in my opinion.
    Stan
    11/72 CR 10/73 PR 7/75 PR 7/77 PR 8/79 PR 7/81 PR 7/83 PR 7/85 PR 8/87 Grosvenor 6/89 PR 7/90 CBR 7/92 POR 8/97 POFQ 6/99 POR 9/00 BWV 1/03 OKW 6/03 POR 8/03 BCV 5/05 BWV 5/06 BCV 12/06 SSR 1/07 ASMv 8/08 BCV 1/09 BWV 8/09 PR 1/10 PC 5/11 PC 7/11 AKL&BCV 1/13 OKW 6/13 BCV&AKL 1/15 OKW 7/16 PR

Post Thanks / Like

Geezawhiz! I don't think there are any rides that I would want done away with. Of course, that includes Horizons, the original Peoplemover, and so on and so forth.

Even the "boring" rides can give you something to look at. It's a small world, I remember (because I'm old enough to be able to) originally riding it at the New York's World Fair in the '60s, and while it was sort of dinky and sort of silly then, it also represented a huge amount of clockwork mechanisms all working in sync -- something that isn't that easy even today.

Carousel of Progress. Ok. Sit while you're slowly spun in a circle looking at the previous 120 years or so and the same guy and his hapless family (Including Uncle Orville). Sort of silly, but still the same kind of memory.

Walt Disney Railroad. Slow, kind of boring, but wouldn't miss it for the world, especially since Walt Disney kept ownership of the trains when he handed over ownership of everything else. Love it! So did he!

Main street. Been there. Seen it. Read just about all the signs in all the windows (they change, just slowly). Still, it wouldn't be my desired experience without it.

No matter how banal, how we won't see it (because of my wife's physical reaction, we'll never again go on Mission Space so why do we need it? It's simply the best recreation of the experience you can get on Earth!), I still want it all to be there. Forever. WDW and DL and the rest aren't amusement parks or theme parks to me ... they're memories ane experiences. Much more important.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

OK, there are classics that are outdated and to people that did not see them in the 70s, it is easy to discount. Everyone will have varying opinions, so here are mine:

1. Swiss Family Tree House: wasted space for a tree fort.
    2. Aladdin's Flying Carpets: They already have several rides that go in a circle and up and down: Dumbo, Astro Orbiter: The one in Dinoland.
    3. Frontierland Shooting Gallery: That same thing was there when I was peeing in my diaper when they first opened.
    4. Fantasyland: All of the old attractions are extremely dated. They should revamp all of the classics and remake them with new technology. Rides with little rooms depicting a small scene is the same as any county fair.

That's all for now. I looked specifically at MK. I will think about the others as I think some more.
    Last edited by Ian; 10-01-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

The only show that I would like to see gone is Dangerous Sounds...to me this has nothing to do with Disney.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe no one else has mentioned the TomorrowLand Speedway. The most lame, un-Disneyfied attraction in all WDW. It's not even close to as much fun as a go-kart ride at every two-bit cheesy/tacky road-side amusement park in the country. My boys have refused to waste time waiting in line (no matter how short) for it since they were 6 years old.

It demonstrates a complete lack of imagination and magic and is an embarrassment to the MAGIC Kingdom in my opinion. It should be replaced with anything that has some semblance of imagineering put into it.

OK . . . I'm off my soapbox now.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

The Country Bears are Disney to me. I remember as a small child it being a huge deal with it's own gift shop. I have three boys who love it still today.
    Granted it is poorly maintained, but there is something to be said for letting the nostalgia buffs have a bone every once in a while.
    When you constantly refurb areas of the park they tend to look dated quickly. How long has it been since the Future World refurb? It already looks dated, the old classic Future World would be more fun to me and instead of looking cheesy it would look classic.
    Anyways I digress stop hating on the bears, there are plenty of other areas that should go away FIRST.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    SOARIN!!!!!

that should cause some debate...ha

Anyways, here's my list
    Amen. I don't understand the excitement about this ride. There's no way I would wait two hours for this. I'm not sure I'd wait 15 minutes. The most over rated ride on the property.
    WDW - 1977-86, 1989, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007(x3), 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2016 (Oct.)
    DLR - 1989, 2007, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by btharvey View Post
    Geezawhiz! I don't think there are any rides that I would want done away with.

Maybe I'm just a Disney die hard but there isn't anything that I wouldn't want to do. There are some we skip for the sake of time so that we get all of our favorites in but we usually revisit them another day.

We went last September with a big group and one member of our party refused to ride anything in Fantasyland (granted they do not have children but still). I still don't understnad why not.

To each his own but I do LOVE IASW, classic Disney I think the girls made up ride it twice in a row last year. Actually come to think of it I think it was DH that made us ride it twice!!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have to say that I intentionally log into Intercot to get away from the political rhetoric for just a few minutes during the day.

The Hall of Presidents is very well done and is an attraction I enjoy every few years to remind me of our American roots and optimism for the future. I hope they would never do away with it - but it might not be for everyone.

The only attraction I don't need to go back to is the Tiki Birds, but I know a lot of folks who do really enjoy it, so I hope they keep it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    The Country Bears are Disney to me. I remember as a small child it being a huge deal with it's own gift shop. I have three boys who love it still today.
    Granted it is poorly maintained, but there is something to be said for letting the nostalgia buffs have a bone every once in a while.
    When you constantly refurb areas of the park they tend to look dated quickly. How long has it been since the Future World refurb? It already looks dated, the old classic Future World would be more fun to me and instead of looking cheesy it would look classic.
    Anyways I digress stop hating on the bears, there are plenty of other areas that should go away FIRST.
    Sorry...I just HATE that bear show. And mind you, I saw it first in the middle 70s right around the park opening, so it does have its nostalgia value, but even so, it just so boring and weird with that one fat bear singing about "blood on the saddle."

You are right, though--areas that are refurbed tend to look dated quickly. That's because they put contemporary design elements into them rather than timeless elements. What was contemporary in the 1990s is hideous today.

I do have to disagree about the Future World rehab, though. I think the retro 1950s remake was an excellent idea--it's timeless!

Oh, and I wanted to agree with the other poster about Soarin'. Change the name to Borin'. Or maybe Overratin'...wait in line forever, sit on what amounts to a porch swing, and watch one of those really big clip movies on a big screen.

Post Thanks / Like

Me again...I forgot to add the Winnie the Pooh ride to the list of "can be skipped" attractions.

I was really disappointed. I guess it's great for kids, but replace a fast, energetic, thrilling ride like Mr. Toad with that pokey cruise through Pooh-town...why?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TakeMe2EPCOT View Post
    I was really disappointed. I guess it's great for kids, but replace a fast, energetic, thrilling ride like Mr. Toad with that pokey cruise through Pooh-town...why?
    Like you said the kids love it! While I do not love it my kids do and that does it for me! Just seeing their smiles and shouts makes it more exciting.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

She ain't purty, but I ain't too. That's classic right there.
    BLT Owners as of 11/09!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: