Quantcast Day at the Ocean

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Day at the Ocean

My wife says she wants to go to the ocean for at least half a day during our upcoming trip. Well, that has sure thrown my plans in a tizzy

Any recommendations on which beachs are the best, which routes to take, how much time we'll need to schedule. We will be going in Jan, so I assume the water will be too cold to go into. Thanks
    POR - 2007
    POR - 2009 ?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well good news is, you're smack dab in the middle of the state. You can go to either coast, Atlantic or Gulf. Melbourne Beach and Cocoa Beach are about an hour and a half to the east, while St. Petersburg and Tampa are about the same amount of time to the west. I personally prefer the Atlantic side and have been to Melbourne Beach and Cocoa a time or two. You can get to Melbourne and Cocoa by taking I-4 to 528 and then all the way to I-95 South. You also have the option of going to Daytona which is a bit farther northeast to which you can just pretty much take I-4 all the way. I've never been to the Gulf Coast around the Tampa area, so I'm not sure how the beaches are, but I've heard they are still nice.
    AJ (A.K.A. Figaro)
    Former Walt Disney World Resort Cast Member

“I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse.” - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

If you head over to Cocoa Beach just know that there's more than just the beach right near downtown/RonJons. I hear a lot of people complain that they thought Cocoa Beach was 'dirty' and I think "well duh, if you go to the busy areas of course" but there are miles of beach just south of the downtown area and along the air force base where you can have the beach almost to yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

We go to Siesta Keys for one day every time we go to Florida. The beach is fantastic and we like it much better than the east side. It is a longer ride, but we feel the ride is worth it.
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

The beaches around St Pete and Clearwater are pretty nice to go look at and are about and hour and a half from the Main Gate. The beaches around Bradenton are nicer but are a little farther away. We live in Tarpon Springs within 3 miles of the beaches. It is 90 minutes to the parks unless you hit Tampa traffic. Caladesi Island and Honeymoon Island are really nice.
    DDuck66
    Disney Veteran

2000- Once
    2001- Twice
    2002- Three Times
    2003- Three times
    2004 Twice
    2005 Twice
    2006- October and Christmas
    2007- The year of the annual pass!!!
    2008- Concierge at the POLY!!!!
    2009- Birthdays in January and March!!!!
    2010- Lots of trips..Too many to count!!

Post Thanks / Like

Which beaches are the best for getting shells? My wife and kids would like to search for seashells and that was their number on request for a beach.
    POR - 2007
    POR - 2009 ?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bobpfef View Post
    Which beaches are the best for getting shells? My wife and kids would like to search for seashells and that was their number on request for a beach.
    I have two places I'd recommend shell hunting.
    First is Egmont Key it is an Island in the mouth of Tampa Bay. To get there we used to get a ferry from Fort DeSoto Beach.

The other is Honey Moon Island which can be driven to Via Clearwater and using the Dunedin Causway. Which I believe is called Causeway Blvd (586). We were there after a heavy storm came through and the beach was littered with shells.
    Kevin AKA Womble
    Disneyland Ca. 91-92 / Offsite 93-96-97-98-02-03-07 /
    Caribbean Beach 94-95-98 / All-star 99-01 / PO French Quater 00 / Coronado Springs 04 / PO Riverside 05-06

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: