Quantcast To drive or Fly

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To drive or Fly

Post Thanks / Like

Default To drive or Fly

With the current economy and the cost of flights- my family and i are contemplating driving down to orlando this year-
    ( from central NJ)
    I did it in college once, i think its like 16-17 hours to drive-
    Both my wife and i will split the driving ( she likes to drive more than me actually...
    Has anyone done it in a while? any good tips-?
    Any good choices to select for a mid trip stay?

Are there any alternate routes besides 95?

I do want to plan a hotel on the road but really dont know whre a good place to shoot for would be-

I would be greatful for any help-

Bryan
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

hi , we drove down in april. we always drive down & we are pretty close to you. we usually leave about 12:00 midnight to avoid dc traffic. we always lay over in savannah georgia. we stay at the marriott right off i-95. there is a cracker barrel in the same parking lot of the hotel,so we check in & then go to get dinner. we are usually there by 3:00 pm. we have two 13 yo girls so we make stops whenever we need to. we usually pack a lunch,plenty of water,drinks & snacks to last the week in disney.we found that xm radio was really good for traffic updates in the major cities.also,get the i-95 information guide ( it gives rest stops & any construction going on ).just make sure to stop when you need to & everybody will be happy.oh by the way we leave georgia by 8:00 to get to disney by 1:00 pm. hope this helps.
    1994 french quarter-port orleans
    2002 all star movies
    2003 all star movies
    2004 wilderness lodge
    2005 french quarter/disney wonder
    2007 polynesian ( cancelled )
    2008 wilderness lodge
    2010 polynesian
    2012 disney dream

Post Thanks / Like

I think driving can be fun... that's the only way we ever went to Disney while I was growing up.

My mom always made sure we started early in the morning, so we could stop for the evening early as well (around 4Pm), have a nice dinner, look around the area a bit and rest up for the evening. She always had other small stops planned in order to make the trip down and back more enjoyable. The fun shouldn't just start when you get to WDW, you know

And Savannah is a good stopping point, and a lovely city.... try and get a dinner reservation at Paula Deen's Restaurant! It's great!

Enjoy
    I love Walt Disney World!!!!! :)
    A Happy Visitor since 1974!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We drove last year. We took a straight shot down 95 and made it in about 16 hours. We left at 4am and got through the DC area before major morning rush hour. It wasn't too bad, although we had 3 drivers. We made 3 or 4 pit stops I think.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

We drove down a few years ago (our first & only road trip) and it wasn't that bad. We drove down as far as Savannah and stayed right where goffyfan466 mentioned. We left on Saturday around 6:00AM from Maryland. Got to Savannah spent the night there and were driving onto WDW property by noon. We checked into our room, unpacked and were at the parks by 1:30PM.

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

We drive just about every year (unless I can get airfare for a GREAT deal). We're from NE Ohio. When we drive in Feb we will be leaving here about 7-8 p.m. We drive completely through with no stopping (of course the occasional break and then for breakfast). DH will do all the driving until we get closer to Orlando, then he wants nothing to do with the traffic and hands it over to me.

Our children are 10 & 7, and it's really not that bad of a drive. If anything the drive home is much worse...cause we are leaving Disney!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the good insight-

We may do it- Actually i think its about 90% sure that we will.

So i am assuming the worst traffic is Wash DC

What are the times to avoid being there?
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

We drive from Baltimore....take 95 south from NJ to 295 in Baltimore (after you exit the tunnel) 295 exits right, then it comes out at the Woodrow Wilson Bridge back onto 95 at the VA line. Then you don't have to worry about the traffic in DC. It cut off almost an hour of our trip last time.

As for a stop, we stopped in Dillon, SC for the night, head back out by 6am and we were there around noon.

Avoid toll roads in Florida by staying on 95 until you get to Daytona, then take I-4. It takes you right to the back enterance by DTD. NO TOLLS!! Yeah!

Have a safe trip.
    Kristen and Ben
    Next - 8/7-15 @ OKW w/Kakn7294 & Taylor & Joline; 12/16 Disney Wonder&12/19 SSR; July '10 @ VWL w/Kakn7294 - Nursing School Graduation Party ; Aug '11 Disney Dream; F&WF '11
    DVC Owners @ SSR & AKV & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

We often drive from Pittsburgh to WDW. From our house, it takes 15.5 - 16 hrs. I can't really help with the directions from your area as we take a completely different route, not picking up I-95 until we are in Georgia. We have 2 drivers and drive straight through. Last year, airfare would have cost us $1200 on Southwest (our cheapest option) for 4 people. We drove roundtrip for $334 in gas (at an average of $3.50 - $3.75 per gallon) in an '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the extra food stops amounted to about the same as what we would have paid in airport parking fees. If you choose to stop overnight, there are a lot of hotel options along the way - the Savannah / Pooler area has quite a few.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just down the GSP from you (exit 105) and I'm a big fan of driving. Now that gas prices are way down, it will probably cost $200-$240 for gas (depending on your car) and probably about $100 or so per night for a hotel, so about $400 or so total. A good place to stop is Florence, SC. There are lots of hotels and restaurants there. Savannah, GA is also a good location.

If you want to avoid DC and are driving during a weekday, then try taking the NJ Turnpike to the Del Mem Br and then take route 13 South around Wilmington. That will take you down the DelMarVa penninsula and over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Route 13 turns into route 17 on the other side of the tunnel. You can then get back on 95 just south of Richmond. It's probably about an extra hour of driving, but maybe longer if you stop for a view on the bridge-tunnel, but you can just make that a pit-stop.

Another option for you is to take a train, although it probably is close to the cost of flying. You can just take the North Jersey Coast line up to Newark and then hop on Amtrak from there. The closest stop to WDW is Kissimmee, and you may want to hire a car (like Quicksilver, one of the Intercot sponsors).

I've never tried the train myself, but DH and I are planning to take a few vacations out West by rail in a few years with the kids. I can't wait to see America by rail, but we need to wait until our DS and ay future children are a little older (maybe 4 or 5). Some people can't sleep on the train because of the stops, but others like the rocking of the train and the views.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford it FLY.

In about 2-3 hour you're there and you can take a nap or watch a movie on the way.

It's kinda nice having a car to go OTHER places but otherwise...Give me plane any day.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post
    We drive from Baltimore....take 95 south from NJ to 295 in Baltimore (after you exit the tunnel) 295 exits right, then it comes out at the Woodrow Wilson Bridge back onto 95 at the VA line. Then you don't have to worry about the traffic in DC. It cut off almost an hour of our trip last time.

As for a stop, we stopped in Dillon, SC for the night, head back out by 6am and we were there around noon.

Avoid toll roads in Florida by staying on 95 until you get to Daytona, then take I-4. It takes you right to the back enterance by DTD. NO TOLLS!! Yeah!

Have a safe trip.
    YOU CAN AVOID THE TOLLS BY STAYING ON I-4,BUT IF YOU TAKE 417 OFF I-4 YOU SAVE AT LEAST A 1/2 HOUR MAYBE MORE & YOU DRIVE WITHOUT ANY TRAFFIC,SO THERE IS NO STRESS. WE DID IT IN APRIL & WE ARE GLAD WE DID AS I DID NOT STRESS AT ALL ABOUT ORLANDO TRAFFIC.EITHER WAY YOU WILL GET THERE.
    1994 french quarter-port orleans
    2002 all star movies
    2003 all star movies
    2004 wilderness lodge
    2005 french quarter/disney wonder
    2007 polynesian ( cancelled )
    2008 wilderness lodge
    2010 polynesian
    2012 disney dream

Post Thanks / Like

Hi "neighbor". We've driven down 3 years ruuning. And I swore after an eventful drive down about 10 years ago, I would never drive again.

It's actually become part of the fun for our family. It's like an adventure.

We try to leave around 6am on a weekday. My DH doesn't do too well getting up much earlier. That way, we are through any rush hour in Baltimore and we through DC prior to any lunch traffic.

We tend to go as far as we can before stopping. We usually get as far at the Georgia/Florida border by 11pm or so. (we have 2 kids 5 and 3 1/2 so we probably stop more than most and the stops can drag on a little.) My Dh and I share the driving so it doesn't take too much of a toll on either one of us.

Then, the next morning, we don't have to get up too early. We're usually on the road by 9am after a nice breakfast. This puts us on track to get into Orlando by lunchtime. We check in and have a nice lunch at our resort and have plenty of time to relax and unwind in the pool. We usually don't have park tickets for that day. If we venture out, we'll walk around Downtown Disney to get in the spirit.

As another poster said, avoid the toll roads in Florida. Just not worth it. We got on 417 this year and I think it cost us $6 for a ride that lasted less than an hour.

I would also have advise against another poster's suggestion of taking 13 south around Wilmington and the Bay Bridge Tunnel. I travel that route routinely to visit family in the Outer Banks and I think you'd lose a lot more than a hour.

We did the math this year and we saved a lot by choosing driving over flying.

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

My DBF will be driving down for his confrence on his own, and I'll be taking a one way flight down to join him. Then we'll be driving back. I feel bad though, because he drives a manual truck that I don't know how to drive so I won't be able to help out with the driving. We'll be driving down in my car (automatic) in August though, so then we can both drive.
    Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Post Thanks / Like

I do the drive. Delaware, Virginia, South Carolina, and Florida tend to have the better gas prices. (I remember Virginia always being the best.) There aren't many alternates to I-95 in terms of directness.

Good luck and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    We drove last year. We took a straight shot down 95 and made it in about 16 hours. We left at 4am and got through the DC area before major morning rush hour. It wasn't too bad, although we had 3 drivers. We made 3 or 4 pit stops I think.
    Same here!
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinmickey9170 View Post

You will hit tolls in Delaware though.
    We drove last Aug. for the first time. Straight through to Lake Mary Fla. It is about 20 mins. from WDW. We stay at a la quinta, and it ws very nice. My husband drove all the way. We stop many times to stretch, gas,potty etc.
    Do not stop at south of the border, waste of time. Itis a ghost towne.

Have a safe trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default another tip

We've driven to WDW from NJ (Burlington County area) many times (and would be driving again next month except that our cars are getting old). We do the main route down 95 (rather than 13 through DE, etc). As long as there's no construction or accidents, it's the quickest and easiest. However, just in case there's a road delay, make sure you have a good map of each state so that you can find an alternative if 95 if blocked. In most of the southern states, there's a local road that practically runs parallel to 95. We've had to hop off 95 for several miles on occasion.

Also, we use 417 rather than continue on I-4 through Orlando. By that time in the trip, we're anxious to actualy get to WDW, so the quick and easy 417 is worth the extra dollars to us.

Have a safe trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goofyfan4466 View Post
    hi , we drove down in april. we always drive down & we are pretty close to you. we usually leave about 12:00 midnight to avoid dc traffic. we always lay over in savannah georgia. we stay at the marriott right off i-95. there is a cracker barrel in the same parking lot of the hotel,so we check in & then go to get dinner. we are usually there by 3:00 pm. we have two 13 yo girls so we make stops whenever we need to. we usually pack a lunch,plenty of water,drinks & snacks to last the week in disney.we found that xm radio was really good for traffic updates in the major cities.also,get the i-95 information guide ( it gives rest stops & any construction going on ).just make sure to stop when you need to & everybody will be happy.oh by the way we leave georgia by 8:00 to get to disney by 1:00 pm. hope this helps.
    We also stop over in Savannah, but we stay at the Country Inn & Suites. We aren't too far from the OP, either.

We left on Friday morning around 7:30 am for this past trip, and stopped in Savannah around 10:00 pm. We take our time driving and stop off for meals to give us a break. We then hopped in the car around 8:00 am Saturday morning and pulled in WDW around 3:00 that afternoon. We didn't have to check into the Grand Flo until Sunday morning, so we stayed in the DTD area Saturday night. It was perfect.

Even counting meals and a hotel stay, we didn't spend any more money than if we flew SW out of Philly, and we didn't have the hassle of worrying about how to pack, luggage weight limits, carry-on restrictions, security lines, delays, etc....we just enjoyed the time alone on a really fun road trip. Tack on the bucks we saved with not having the need to ship purchases home! I always shipped ornaments and artwork home every trip...usually 3 shipments throughout a trip, so that's another chunk of change saved!

I'm sure we'll drive down on our next trip, too....especially with gas prices going down, down, down!

We also have XM, and that can be a big help keeping us up on any delays or construction.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mackflava99 View Post
    With the current economy and the cost of flights- my family and i are contemplating driving down to orlando this year-
    ( from central NJ)
    I did it in college once, i think its like 16-17 hours to drive-
    Both my wife and i will split the driving ( she likes to drive more than me actually...
    Has anyone done it in a while? any good tips-?
    Any good choices to select for a mid trip stay?

Are there any alternate routes besides 95?

I do want to plan a hotel on the road but really dont know whre a good place to shoot for would be-

I would be greatful for any help-

Bryan

....just did the drive (again...and then some) and it's not a bad drive at all. We "just" got back on Nov 9th after a week in Fla (WDW + a cruise out of Tampa)...and I really enjoy the drive.

We've been going to WDW now each fall ("Jersey Week"...since 2004...and have got it down to a science (pretty much). We leave the house in central Jersey [Exit 9 on the Tpke] at 6am on a Friday...and end up in Brunswick, Ga. at 7:30 that night. So, it's 13.5 hours "trip time"....but if you subtract a lunch stop, potty breaks, and fuel stops....it's around 12 hours of actual driving time....and I do ALL the driving. With someone else to share the driving duties...I'd imagine it'd be a whole lot easier if you don't feel like driving that far (850 miles). When we get into southern So. Carolina...we pick up one of the free Travel Coupon magazines at a rest stop...and call ahead to the hotel to reserve a room and use a coupon for a discount that's usually in there (makes the room about $90 dollars....the same discount is given to AAA members). We always stay in the same Hampton Inn at Exit 36A ....and have breakfast the next morning in the Cracker Barrel that's right across the parking lot. From Brunswick, it's a 3 to 3.5 hour drive to WDW the next morning. That leaves us a large portion of the day to get into our room...and head off to one of the parks and then Downtown Disney for dinner.

The first time we drove to WDW (Spring 2004)...I was clueless of the traffic patterns...and we left on a late Friday morning. That had me hitting D.C. afternoon rush traffic into Virginia...and therefore we only got as far as Florence, SC the first day. The next day was an added 8 hour drive to WDW...which killed the whole day (got to Orlando at 3pm)...and I said that I'd never do that again. So...since then...we do the the 6am departure time which lets me miss the morning Delaware, Maryland, and D.C. traffic woes...and sets me up to be in a hotel between 7:00 and 7:30 at night...with time to get a decent dinner in one of the many restaurants in Brunswick.

In past years, I-95 construction in the D.C. / Alexandria, Va. area had slowed us a bit...but has since been completed. The only other "substantial" I-95 construction I recall was in Georgia....starting a few mile north of Brunswick...and ending slightly south of there. The only downside of that is a slightly reduced speed limit...which doesn't amount to much of a slowdown since I hit that area at night after the construction has finished for the day.

The drive is something I really enjoy...particularly in the fall...when all of NJ's trees are getting brown and "bald". The more south we go...the greener it gets. We also do a fair amount of pre-holiday shopping in WDW...so having my wife's Freestar to lug gifts back north is a big plus.

This year...even with added people and luggage in the van (6 vs the usual 3)...our gas cost was less than $225 round trip...and that also included the extra milage from WDW to Tampa and back (we stayed 2 nights at POP before heading off for a cruise).

...hope that some of my long-winded post was helpful.

...have a great trip.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Being a person who lives in N. Virginia and works in DC, I have another suggestion to getting around the DC traffic. Rush hour, during the week, starts at 4 am. There is a short breather in the afternoon with evening rush hour starting around 3 pm. Look on your map and see how this route would take you. Head southwest getting yourself on I-81. Take 81 to I-66 east. Then look for Rt 17 south thru Warrenton heading towards Fredericksburg. Take the bypass around Warrenton (even though Warrenton has lots of restaurants and gas stations and our regular unleaded is $1.69 at the moment), where you will join Rt 29/17. Pass Warrenton about 7 miles where Rt. 17 heads south again in a little town called Opal. Just be prepared that turning onto Rt. 17 here is a LEFT hand turn. Stay on Rt 17, and it will take you back to I-95 at the 133 mile marker. You have just missed DC all together. It's a 4 lane highway all the way, and lots of places to stop to eat and fuel up. I always wanted to fly, as it's 2 less days driving, and 2 more days in the park. But you have to take what's best for the budget.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: