Quantcast Space Mountain/Tommorowland Transit Authority Refurb Start Date & Tentative End Dates

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Space Mountain/Tommorowland Transit Authority Refurb Start Date & Tentative End Dates

Message updated by Figment! on 02-03-2009 at 7:55 AM:

The Walt Disney World Resort has internally announced tentative completion dates for the Space Mountain and Tommorowland Transit Authority Refurbishments. Currently, the Tommorowland Transit Authority is scheduled to re-open August 19, 2009 and Space Mountain is schedule to re-open November 22, 2009. Both attractions are still scheduled to close April 19, 2009.

Message updated by Figment! on 02-02-2009 at 3:55 PM:

The Walt Disney World Resort has announced a tentative time period for the refurbishment to its Passholders in their most recent newsletter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Monitor: Official Passholder Newsletter

In 1975, we were lucky enough to become home to the original Space Mountain® attraction. And now we’re returning the favor—by
    returning the attraction to its “opening day” splendor. Beginning in
    April 2009, Imagineers will perform a “space-lift” to make this classic
    even better.

Don’t worry. The original elements—from the serpentine track to
    the exterior silhouette—will remain unchanged when it reopens later
    this year.
    Message updated by Figment! on 01-06-2009 at 10:09 PM:

In addition to the internal announcements, the Walt Disney World resort has now publicly announced that both Space Mountain and the Tommorowland Transit Authority will be closed for refurbishment April 19, 2009 through at least July 31, 2009.

It should not be expected (at this time) that the attraction will re-open August 1, 2009 rather the current public refurbishment calenders only run through July 31, 2009.

Message originally posted by WDWRox on 01-05-2009 at 12:09 PM:

I found this information on another site, and it sounds pretty definite about the time frame for the big refurb of Space Mountain:

"Space Mountain is set to begin it's year long refurbishment on April 19, 2009. It is expected to open late 2009 with no specific date."
    Sep 12 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan 11 - Polynesian
    Sep 09 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jan 09 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    Sep 08 - Wilderness Lodge
    Sep 06 - Boardwalk Villas
    Sep 05 - Polynesian
    Sep 03 - Polynesian
    Sep 01 - Wilderness Lodge
    May 03 - Fort Wilderness
    March 85 - Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Yes, this was recently internally announced.
    Figment! aka Jason ºoº
    INTERCOT STAFF
    News, Rumours & Imagineering
    Dining
    Vacations Beyond Disney

~It’s what us storytellers do; we restore order with imagination, we instill hope again and again~

~We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things~

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WDWRox View Post
    "Space Mountain is set to begin it's year long refurbishment on April 19, 2009. It is expected to open late 2009 with no specific date."
    Looks like they're trying to keep it open through the busy Spring Break/Easter time frame and then take it down in the lull between then and the summer crowds.

DD will be bummed, though, that it's not open when we're there in September.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I will just make it before the refurb!!

It is mine and the girls favorite, not the DH's however... at 6'5" he gets really banged around in the "space capsule".

Thanks for the info!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

so i will get to show it to the nephews for their first trip Easter wk.
    my sister still hates it from our trip as kids in the 70s...now we will see what her kids think.
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Are they planning to do the "Rocket Mountain" plussing and re-tracking of it, or is it just a cleanup/refurb?

I don't get why they don't fast track this and do it now. They don't have anything else (known) in the queue to be opening in the next year with the exception of AIE. Both of their Orlando competitors are opening big thrill rides, plus Uni has the Harry Potter land coming soon. It just seems to me they would be trying to get this thing going real fast so they would have something to compete with. I'm afraid they are going to get started with it in April, then once the summer crowds hit, they will see a sharp decline in attendance and push the project into overdrive and make cuts to it so it won't be as good.

P.S. No offense, but I think the title should've read Unofficial - Space Mountain Refurb Start Date
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, yay! We'll get to ride it as well for our trip in March/April before they shut it down. While I much prefer the DL version, my sister and friend who don't frequent DL as I do, would be REALLY bummed if Space Mtn. were closed during our trip. Plus, I still love WDW's version for sentimental reasons. It was my first "real" coaster, and I look forward to riding it whenever I'm at WDW.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Anyone know what, exactly, is going to be included in this?

Originally I know the scale was pretty significant ... complete re-tracking, bringing in the new side-by-side seating configuration from DL, sound system installation, upgraded special effects ... the works.

But from all I've read, I'm assuming they've vastly scaled this back and it's now just a standard refurb/safety upgrade, etc.

Does anyone have any details?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure Ian... From what I read on other sites, the refurb was scaled back to maybe a few pieces of track being replaced, better banking turns, and typical sprucing up...

I hope that is not all they do, but, if that's it, then so be it...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, not good. I'll be disappointed if it's just your run-of-the-mill rehab.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Dunno if I would be disappointed.. Depends on what they actually do... What I read was of course speculation.. Best thing to do is wait until Disney releases what they have planned...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    i agree
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that they do a really big rehab since we are getting there two 2!! days after it goes down for rehab, lol. It has not been my favorite for a while, just to rocky, so hopefully it will be a better ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am doing some serious speculating on this news. Rumours had the TTA going down with Space Mtn simultaneously. Now with the post of the rumored Galaxy Palace theater being razed, what are they going to do - shut down 1/2 of tomorrowland, or keep it localized to just the actual coaster & put some type of overlay in the tunnel of the TTA when you go through Space Mountain and the wall where you can see the interior of Galaxy Palace Theater?

One thing I certainly agree on . . . I too would be majorly disappointed if this is a 'standard' refurb . . .

DH took the news last night like a man but DS was pretty upset, even though I've been warning him about this for the past two years!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWRox View Post
    I'm guessing that the re-furb won't be what was originally planned, based soley on what you wrote above that they released... how can they do a year-long refurbishment, starting in April, and still re-open in 2009?? I'm thinking that it will be a scaled back re-furb, if it's that much shorter of a timeframe that it will be down.

But -- I shouldn't complain -- maybe it'll be open in October after all, and my girls won't care about a re-furb... they'll just want to ride their favorite ride!!
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Space Mountain = No TTA in 09?

If Space is getting a refurb, Disney won't want us getting a peek while riding along the TTA, right?
    I can hear it already, "Now Approaching Space Mountain! ....Pay No Attention To The Men Behind The Curtains!"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, its nice to hear something semi-official, but I am a bit bummed to hear it will be off line in September.
    Rebecca
    mom of Jenna (Cindewella) & Lucy (Sleepingbooty)

Next visit: September 2010, Caribbean Beach Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I can deal with Space being down for our trip this summer. I mean I love it, and we used to ride over and over again, but with my fiance's back surgery in Oct of 2007 it's been rough for him, so we only rode twice last trip. A smoother track will be a welcomed addition. I really don't care if they leave the rest of it pretty much the same. What I DO care is if they close down TTA. I mean, I totally get why they would... I think the typical WDW guest goes on the ride expecting to see something, unlike us super fans who just ride the thing around and around for the fun of it.
    ETA: Just heard it IS official for TTA. Oh well.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I saw it on the WDW site as I looked at the April hours today. Space Mtn. and TTA going down for refurb on April 19th. We'll be going on April 26 Missed it by one week! Oh well, catch it next time!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOJoe View Post
    If Space is getting a refurb, Disney won't want us getting a peek while riding along the TTA, right?
    I can hear it already, "Now Approaching Space Mountain! ....Pay No Attention To The Men Behind The Curtains!"
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM