Quantcast Space Mountain/Tommorowland Transit Authority Refurb Start Date & Tentative End Dates - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not too concerned about SM being closed while we're there, but I'm pretty disappointed to hear about the TTA. That's something we could always count on for a break when the park was crowded...
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am happy that WDW Space Mtn. will not be totally purged like the one in DL, I like the original set-up, they can just make it slightly smoother and beef up the safety.

I have one question, which may be a stupid one, SM was scheduled for it's annual maintenance this month, for a week or so. Will that still occur, or will it go without any maintenance until it is closed down in April??
    1 visit to Magic Kindom '78
    17 visits to WDW since '98
    2 visit to Disneyland

Old Key West (multiple)
    Saratoga Springs (multiple)
    Animal Kingdom Lodge
    Port Orleans
    Beach Club Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope the queue music stays the same. The Space Mountain entrance music might be my favorite piece in all of WDW.

I'd also like a smoother ride. After riding DL's Space Mountain, WDW's deserves a similar ride. Comparatively, WDW feels like a wooden roller coaster.

Maybe we can get some new meteor effects projected on the ceiling instead of the chocolate chip cookies that fly by, too.
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Mr. Brass Bonanza Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
    I really hope the queue music stays the same. The Space Mountain entrance music might be my favorite piece in all of WDW.
    Me too! When I first read this rehab would involve the queue area, I was like, "oh no!" The cosmic queue music is something that stays in my head and something I look foward to. I also like the cheesy special effects in the windows that make the little astronaut look like he's moving when you're moving.

Imagine...one of my favorite things at WDW is a queue area. Am I nuts? Maybe...but if they yank all that out, I will be soundly disappointed. Change the ride itself all you want, but please keep the queue area the way it is!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy its not January, as originally announced!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Melanears View Post
    Have you ridden the Disneyland version?

It's not a thing like Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and it still very much incorporates "cheesy space 70s style". The music isn't rock music at all. I'm sure you can find the soundtrack somewhere on the net.
    I totally agree ... the really great thing about the DL version (which I should be riding in ... oh ... about 39 days or so!) is the way it blends newer technology with the older feel.

I, for one, am disappointed that WDW's isn't getting the same treatment. Especially considering the fact that the money they're spending on this rehab virtually guarantees that they won't ever go forward with bringing the DL version to WDW.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My kids both love The TTA...we're going Apr. 14.Talk about cutting it close!
    CR 1978
    CR 1983
    CR 1984
    POLY 1996
    POLY 2005
    POLY 2006
    POLY 2007
    POLY 2008

Post Thanks / Like

This stinks. We'll be there in May. The TTA is always our first ride. I will miss it so much, and DH will miss that and especially Space Mountain.
    Upcoming:
    October 2013
    8 nights at Pop Century with Free Dining to celebrate DS turning 4 years old!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We are going in August, if TTA is down still my little guy is going to be one unhappy camper!

As for SM, there are always other attractions to go on. But no where to get "around" like the TTA!
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

The internal announcement says that TTA will "operate with varied schedules during the refurbishment...", which seems to say it will not be down for the entire 6 months.
    joelk,
    Disney Transport Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joelkfla View Post
    The internal announcement says that TTA will "operate with varied schedules during the refurbishment...", which seems to say it will not be down for the entire 6 months.
    That seems to mean that you will never know when it is open or closed, without actually walking over to it.

Post Thanks / Like

From the article link above:

"The ride, according to Finger, will retain its classic shape and the track design will remain virtually the same."

This doesn't sound encouraging as far as enhancements go. It sounds as though it will just be a minor refurb as opposed to a major upgrade as some rumors have indicated. However, a news and rumors site, named Screamscape, is reporting the following:

Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (1/9/09) While Disney still isn’t saying much, a Screamscape source tells us that Space Mountain will very likely get entirely all new track after all. I know in the past I had heard that they were getting price quotes for both whole and partial replacement and at one point they were leaning towards going the cheap route and just replacing some of the track. According to our source, the new track is necessary due to the new heavier rockets that will feature on-board audio. They also tell us that the queue may end up looking much more like the California version, it should have a new Re-Entry tunnel effect at the end and that we can expect to see station-gates added to the loading areas. Apparently there is also talk about putting in the cool “revolving tunnel” effect on the lift hill, though that aspect has not be finalized since the current version has it’s own uniquely themed lift-hill and there is an effort to preserve some classic elements from the current ride since it is the original.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I also hope they do a good refurb. I'm about 6'5" and rode it for the first time in about 5 years during our trip last week. My legs don't fit all the way under the bar and about 1/3 of the way in I knew I made a mistake. The bar kept pounding into my thighs, so I hope this is corrected. And before anyone assumes anything else, I weigh only 205 so for my size I'm not heavy. I just don't fit and would love to ride it without having pain. Mark
    Just FYI, the 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 seats have ALOT more leg room then the front. I am 6'2 (and former Space CM) and I fit just fine. The lap bar is still tight but not nearly as bad as the front.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    From the article link above:

"The ride, according to Finger, will retain its classic shape and the track design will remain virtually the same."

This doesn't sound encouraging as far as enhancements go. It sounds as though it will just be a minor refurb as opposed to a major upgrade as some rumors have indicated. However, a news and rumors site, named Screamscape, is reporting the following:

Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (1/9/09) While Disney still isn’t saying much, a Screamscape source tells us that Space Mountain will very likely get entirely all new track after all. I know in the past I had heard that they were getting price quotes for both whole and partial replacement and at one point they were leaning towards going the cheap route and just replacing some of the track. According to our source, the new track is necessary due to the new heavier rockets that will feature on-board audio. They also tell us that the queue may end up looking much more like the California version, it should have a new Re-Entry tunnel effect at the end and that we can expect to see station-gates added to the loading areas. Apparently there is also talk about putting in the cool “revolving tunnel” effect on the lift hill, though that aspect has not be finalized since the current version has it’s own uniquely themed lift-hill and there is an effort to preserve some classic elements from the current ride since it is the original.
    I saw Screamscape's rumor earlier this morning. The revolving tunnel is cool, but personally I'd rather keep the current scene for the lift hill.

I'm trying to figure out what they mean by the queue will look much like the CA version. The CA queue isn't much to look at from what I can recall. The first portion is outside, and once you get inside it's just a tunnel (no 3-D star panels or anything) until you get to the loading area and you load in an area that looks like a loading bay with a spaceship in it. The WDW queue is much better IMO except for the loading bay area. This would also require some new structure to recreate the loading bay and enclose the loading area since it's open to the entire dome right now, and you wouldn't be able to watch the cookies, I mean meteors fly by. This is, however, one of the reasons I think DLR's is much darker (the other is because the TTA does not run through it).
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
    I saw Screamscape's rumor earlier this morning. The revolving tunnel is cool, but personally I'd rather keep the current scene for the lift hill.
    Yeah, I agree. I really like the lift hill in WDW.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Yeah, I agree. I really like the lift hill in WDW.
    Wait until you ride the one at Disneyland. It's AWESOME ... the lift hill is my favorite part! AND ... you can raise your hands without hitting the roof!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NotaGeek View Post
    Wait until you ride the one at Disneyland. It's AWESOME ... the lift hill is my favorite part! AND ... you can raise your hands without hitting the roof!
    You didn't read the whole thread, obviously.

I LOVE the Disneyland version (I've ridden it a few times). And I agree the lift hill in DL is awesome, too, but I kinda want WDW's to retain that part for personal, sentimental reasons.

Has to do with my Dad, who passed away a number of years ago ... long story ...
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I guess its a matter of personal preference, but I prefer the WDW version over the DL version. For me, the DL version is too smooth. I like the jerky feel and sudden drops of the WDW version.
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Post Thanks / Like

While I would like Space Mountain to be improved, I don't necessarily want a carbon copy of the Disneyland version. See, if Disney made too many of the rides exact replicas at both parks, that would give many people less incentive to go to both parks. This would leave to fewer visitors, which means less money, and we know how Disney cares about about their profits (as any business should). Think about it. Why should someone fly 3,000 miles to California if they could experience the same thing a lot closer in Orlando (or vice versa)? Contrary to how it seems on Intercot, there is only a small percentage of Disney fanatics.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: