Quantcast Space Mountain/Tommorowland Transit Authority Refurb Start Date & Tentative End Dates - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I also hope they do a good refurb. I'm about 6'5" and rode it for the first time in about 5 years during our trip last week. My legs don't fit all the way under the bar and about 1/3 of the way in I knew I made a mistake. The bar kept pounding into my thighs, so I hope this is corrected. And before anyone assumes anything else, I weigh only 205 so for my size I'm not heavy. I just don't fit and would love to ride it without having pain. Mark
    You, as well as anyone else that is tall, better hope that they don't put the same type of rockets that they use in Disneyland's Space Mountain into WDW's Space Mountain. Granted, the current WDW rockets are a tight fit, but at least it's possible for tall people to ride in them. I'm 6'9'' while wearing my shoes, and I can ride Space Mountain at WDW in its current state. It's not extremely comfortable, but I have discovered a way to sit that makes it not painful (I slide forward in the seat as much as possible, so that the bar doesn't pinch my thighs). I couldn't fit into the rockets at Disneyland's Space Mountain at all. The lap bars are narrow, and there isn't much leg room either. The Cast Members working the attraction were nice enough to give my wife and me Fastpasses for any attraction in the the park (even though she got to ride it). I saw another tall guy not be able to ride it either. I am very disappointed in the design of Disneyland's Space Mountain rockets. People in general are bigger and taller than they used to be, and Disney should have taken that into consideration when they did the refurbishment for Disneyland's Space Mountain. If they decide to add rockets to WDW's Space Mountain that have side-by-side seating, let's hope they they provide plenty of leg room (much like Expedition Everest) for us tall people.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Just FYI, the 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 seats have ALOT more leg room then the front. I am 6'2 (and former Space CM) and I fit just fine. The lap bar is still tight but not nearly as bad as the front.
    You are mistaken. In Space Mountain, there are two individual rockets that are exactly the same design that are hooked together, which makes for 6 riders per vehicle. Therefore, seats 1 and 4 have the same amount of leg room. The same goes for seats 2 and 5. Seats 3 and 6 are the ones with the most leg room. There is one positive thing that seats 1 and 4 have going for them in regards to leg room. There is no seat in front of them, which means that they provide ample knee room. I like seats 3 and 6 the best, but I can manage reasonably well in seats 1 and 4. The only seats I completely avoid are 2 and 5, as they are the middle seats on each individual rocket. They do have more leg room than seats 1 and 4, but it's not enough to make up for the loss of knee room.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have also heard from several sources that the refurb will most likely take alot longer than the scheduled time frame and to add at least 2 more months to end of the down time.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Default NEW INFO - space mountain refurb...

I know this topic has been discussed at length already (and I couldn't find the original post - sorry) but I just heard it from a VERY reliable source that they are not touching the track at all during the refurb. This refurb is going to address the queue in the load area. I was told the "suits" just aren't happy with the look AND they want to address the issue of FP and SB lines...the merge. I think they want to get guests back inside to wait rather that standing outside. I was also told they may be putting gates at the load area. How many times have you seen a younger guest trying to step in the rocket while it was still moving??? So that issue needs to be addressed as well I was told. ONE MORE THING...I was told that WALL-E may be added to the exit speed ramp.

So from what I've been told, this sounds more of a spruce up and safety issue rather than a major overhaul.

Take it all with a grain of salt BUT this source hasn't failed me yet LOL.
    That's not flying...that's falling with style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Loves Golf View Post
    I know this topic has been discussed at length already (and I couldn't find the original post - sorry) but I just heard it from a VERY reliable source that they are not touching the track at all during the refurb. This refurb is going to address the queue in the load area. I was told the "suits" just aren't happy with the look AND they want to address the issue of FP and SB lines...the merge. I think they want to get guests back inside to wait rather that standing outside. I was also told they may be putting gates at the load area. How many times have you seen a younger guest trying to step in the rocket while it was still moving??? So that issue needs to be addressed as well I was told. ONE MORE THING...I was told that WALL-E may be added to the exit speed ramp.

So from what I've been told, this sounds more of a spruce up and safety issue rather than a major overhaul.

Take it all with a grain of salt BUT this source hasn't failed me yet LOL.
    Link to the thread: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=147953

From the first post, quoted from the AP newsletter:
    In 1975, we were lucky enough to become home to the original Space Mountain® attraction. And now we’re returning the favor—by
    returning the attraction to its “opening day” splendor. Beginning in
    April 2009, Imagineers will perform a “space-lift” to make this classic
    even better.

Don’t worry. The original elements—from the serpentine track to
    the exterior silhouette—will remain unchanged when it reopens later
    this year.
    Not saying your source is wrong, but in my opinion the AP newsletter saying the original elements "will remain unchanged" and your source saying the suits are "unhappy with the look" are contradictory. Of course, who really knows what's going to happen.
    Geaux Tigers!

Last Trip: Honeymoon at DL and So. Cal. CityPass 5/27 - 6/2/2007

Next trip: WDW 9/6-12/2009 @ Pop for DD's 4th birthday!

Follow the trip on Twitter: scottinwdw.

Post Thanks / Like

From working there I know that it needs a face lift, many of the effects are dated and the inside queue really needs some freshening. Hopefully the few cosmetic changes will help!
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Still wish they would bring the changes from the DL SM to WDW.
    Jambo everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad they are putting in some updates!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Eeyore View Post
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I , for one, am glad that the ride isn't being changed much. Still, it doesn't seem to me like the changes you mentioned would take that long...of course it could be more involved than what I'm picturing...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Are they changing the exit queue any?

be neat if they added new holograms to the entrance queue.
    [*]2011 Wilderness Camp Ground Apr 17-21
    [*]2009 Pop
    [*]2007 - 2010 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2005 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2002 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2001 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]2000 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]1998 Wilderness Camp Ground
    [*]1989 Off-site

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Eeyore View Post
    Personally, I think that they're going to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
    Link to the thread: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=147953

From the first post, quoted from the AP newsletter:

Not saying your source is wrong, but in my opinion the AP newsletter saying the original elements "will remain unchanged" and your source saying the suits are "unhappy with the look" are contradictory. Of course, who really knows what's going to happen.
    I disagree with your conclusion. I think they are saying EXACTLY the same thing!

The "original elements" that will remain unchanged are the original elements of the ride itself ... you know, the track. "Unhappy with the look" means unhappy with the areas that people walk through ... you know, the 1970s version of what the future would look like. In the 70s it looked very modern and cool, but now it looks "quaint," like looking into a time capsule.

Those two quotes are saying exactly the same thing to me.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: