Quantcast Disney lodging is no longer price competitive - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    It always amazes me how people criticze Disney but in doing so conveniently forget the extras you get being a resort guest.

At the Poly for instance you get:
    1. Electric Water Pageant every night (at least two drivers, a chase boat with 2 people that helps set the line, and upkeep of the floats, something your hotel fee helps pay for)
    2. Resort monorail (we subsidze that too by helping pay for the drivers and station attendants plus upkeep from our room fees)
    3. Resort launches (drivers and boats here too)
    4. Extra Magic Hours (for resort people only and Disney has to get the money from some place, hmm, maybe you room fee)
    5. Free parking at all theme parks
    6. Disney bus system (primarily for resort people and Disney has to get the revenue for that some where)

Look, our room fees cover all that stuff which is primarily for our entertainment and convenience, not the people who don't stay on the grounds and pay only the theme park entrance fees. Disney has to have revenue for that stuff we get and that primarily comes from room fees. Theme park entrance fees alone would not cover that.

So, your room cost pays for an a lot more than just the appointments in your room and you do get a lot a value that is very easy to overlook.
    The thing is, value resorts get all of those things, too (with the exception of boat and monorail-- which they still get to use of course) without the huge price tag.
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    I hope Peter Pan is piloting that boat if you're staying at a monorail resort!
    Actually, you don't need Peter Pan. Take the monorail to EPCOT and then the Friendship boat to DHS. Hakuna Matata.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badkitty View Post
    Actually, you don't need Peter Pan. Take the monorail to EPCOT and then the Friendship boat to DHS. Hakuna Matata.
    Works only if you have the park hopping ticket.

Also, as far as being price competitive, I just picked a random day for a stay at a Philly Marriott. Prices range from $129 a night to $300 a night, so really, when you compare the location and the accomodations, Disney is a reasonably priced hotel stay...

Have prices gone up? Sure...

Are hotel stays high in general? Yep...

Is Disney competitve, I think so...

Post Thanks / Like

While I do believe that WDW hotels are generally overpriced, I haven't quite figured this one out yet.

WDW's cheapest deluxe (WL or AKL standard room, not woods view) is $240 a night in value season in early Feb when the OP is going. With 12.5% tax, that's $1890, not $2829 as the OP states and is only $265 more than the RPC room. That's not a big difference for the week and I believe the location and other perks for WDW would easily be worth this difference.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to stick with my first comment on this and say until more answers are given, how can i really see that these prices are balanced. When are the dates of such trip? is this based on full price or available discounts? did either price include tickets or dining?
    Brian

December 9 -December 18, 2015 POR
    Sept 24 - Oct 4, 2009, POFQ
    September, 2008 - CBR
    April, 1988-offsite

Post Thanks / Like

It was easy enough to check ... I went to both websites and priced his dates.

A club level room at Royal Pacific was $1625.75. The standard view Wilderness Lodge room was $2,829. Just by way of FYI, a Club Level room was quoted at $1,063 additional, for a total of $3,892. This was room only at both places. No park admission, no food ... no extras at all. Just rooms ... apples to apples pricing.

So if you break it down by 7 nights, Royal Pacific's club level room comes to $232.25 per night. Wilderness Lodge's club level room comes out to an astonishing $556 a night.

That's insane.

I agree with your decision ... I'd stay at the RP, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by valjane View Post
    The thing is, value resorts get all of those things, too (with the exception of boat and monorail-- which they still get to use of course) without the huge price tag.
    You forgot, no Electric Water Pageant so only 50% of them. But nothing changes the main point, you get things at Disney that you don't think if and I'm sure that my list is not comprehensive because there are likley things that I can't remember.

Bottom line for us, we have stayed at five star resorts throughout the world and in concierge at them AND we do not feel cheated. The intangible extras (view, relaxation etc) make the Disney experience worth it. Value cannot always be measured by dollars but how you feel when the trip is over. None of the five stars elsewhere gives us that same feeling.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    You forgot, no Electric Water Pageant so only 50% of them. But nothing changes the main point, you get things at Disney that you don't think if and I'm sure that my list is not comprehensive because there are likley things that I can't remember.

Bottom line for us, we have stayed at five star resorts throughout the world and in concierge at them AND we do not feel cheated. The intangible extras (view, relaxation etc) make the Disney experience worth it. Value cannot always be measured by dollars but how you feel when the trip is over. None of the five stars elsewhere gives us that same feeling.
    True about the EWP, but anyone can show up at any of the monorail resorts and watch it. Even guests at MK can go out the gate to see it, so I don't consider it really a perk of staying there.

I agree there's something about staying inside Disney that just leaves you with a great feeling, BUT for me the deluxe price tag just simply isn't worth it when I get that same feeling at mods and values, too.

I've stayed at Hyatts before that were far more luxurious than any of the deluxes at Disney, and for half the price!
    ~ valerie ~

* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Contemporary * Polynesian * Wilderness Lodge * Tree House Villas * Golf Resort/Disney Inn * Fort Wilderness * Port Orleans Riverside/French Quarter * Caribbean Beach * Swan * All Star Sports Music Movies * Coronado Springs * Pop Century *

lockedoutlogic Guest

Disney hotels have always been "overpriced" by the standards of the day....especially since they went to the "class" system in the late 80's.

Basically...the WDW resorts end up becoming a sorta "club" for repeat visitors.

Sure, there are those that go there on a first visit...and there are those that jump around and only stay at a Disney location sometimes....

But generally speaking, the WDW hotels are packed with repeat visitors....

Obviously...this be the case....as they built a timeshare to capitalize on it.

So you pay maybe 150 a night (reasonable for what you get) at the Poly....plus 100 becuase it's "disney"...plus 75-100 dollars because of location....plus probably 50 or so for the monorail....

and what do you get? you final price. But the price comes from perceptions, memories, and mystique much moreso than from rooms, restaurants, and amenities.

Obviously they do a pretty good job of theming....though that has become less of a priority of late....
    And they provide a good caliber of stay, service, and amenity.

But any experience traveler knows that what you get is not even close to a good "value" for what they provide....not compared with the major upscale hotel chains....

You're probably going to get more class and service at any number of chains.....

The addition of the Four Seasons will provide to those that really think the Grand is a ripoff....(it is....by the way).

And the disney hotels can keep being what they have been: a place for you to feel good about yourself while you're there...and maybe to brag about a little when you're back at home

Post Thanks / Like

Gee.

Gonna wade in here...When I go to Disney, I tend to stay at a Disney deluxe hotel...we've done Poly once, AKL once, BC twice.

We stay there for the convenient location. The hotels themselves are just not all that and a bag of chips. Except AKL - which was pretty cool. But what a location?!

When we do other things in Orlando (Universal, Discovery Cove, Sea World), we stay at Universal hotels (my favorite, the Royal Pacific - better than the Portofino IMHO). The hotels at Universal are far superior.

In the past couple of years when I do the price comparison...we can stay at Universal - have tickets for Universal and Sea World...and we are still much cheaper than our deluxe accommodations alone at Disney(and yes, I get a discount etc). It's only when I add in Discovery Cove that we start to approach the cost of room only at Disney....there's really no comparison price wise. And then you have to get your Disney park hoppers...

There's no comparison either as to the hotels...they are simply better hotels over at Universal.

BUT....when I need my Disney fix....I can't stay at Universal...I need to be on property...and I want to be at a Deluxe...really hate taking busses every where. I like the Epcot area best...

Sometimes, there's just no substitute for Disney and you have to cough up a significant portion of your hard earned dough!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceship Tigger View Post
    WDW's cheapest deluxe (WL or AKL standard room, not woods view) is $240 a night in value season in early Feb when the OP is going. With 12.5% tax, that's $1890, not $2829 as the OP states and is only $265 more than the RPC room. That's not a big difference for the week and I believe the location and other perks for WDW would easily be worth this difference.
    Allow me to correct my own post...

I thought he was leaving on 2/11, but he is checking in on 2/11, making it during President's week. Yes, WDW is totally outrageous during this time and I wouldn't even think of staying there at the peak periods. I wonder how the more normal rates (value, standard seasons) compare to other hotels in the area.
    Mike

Trips: 1983,1986,1988,1991 - Off-site
    Jan 2001 - WL
    Nov 2004 - WL

Sep 2005 - AKL
    Sep 2007 - Poly
    May 2009 - CBR
    May 2010 - Poly
    Oct 2010 - Pop
    May 2012 - BC
    Next trip May 2014 - BC

Post Thanks / Like

Ropachs prior post is dead on. It's supply and demand. When people stop filling the rooms at the prices Disney charges, they'll lower the price, i.e. the 4/3 deal currently underway. However, Disney is a business and can charge what they want. I wish it was more affordable as well but it's not my company. If I was a Disney stockholder I would want them to make a profit, so they have every right to charge what they want. It's our right not to stay there. It's what makes America great. Mark
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Througout this conversation it seems both sides make valid points as to what is better. However, it still comes to one thing personal choice and if you are willing to be immeresed in Disney and pay the premium then that your choice as a consumer. Otherwise you can stay at Universal and do the commute thing. But the Universal Option does not make sense to me, since I feel their theme parks are okay but not great.

Also I think the higher prices at the resorts makes DVC much more attractive, especially if you are going to be regular visitor to WDW.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Default Universal

While I like the hotels at Universal Orlando I would never stay at one of them if WDW parks were my goal.

When I plan a WDW vacation I like
    DME
    Land of the purple road signs
    DME

I don't envy people who prefer deluxes at WDW and I don't fee the need to fuss at them.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the prices for some of the Deluxe resorts aren't quite in line with what I consider DELUXE accomodations. I recently stayed at AKL, and wouldn't stay there again if they were free.

That being said. I live about 4 hours from Wisconsin Dells, and the rooms there are far more expensive, and deliver far less than Disney does. Sure they have cool waterparks, and fun themes, but the service is wretched, and you pay extra for every little thing!

I don't stay in a Deluxe every visit, far from it, but I do think that they are fun to try out. It's all about what we are willing to pay for the time spent at the hotel. For me, I'm not there much, so I stay in a Moderate, and I only visit when I can get a discount. I know that is a luxury that not every one has, but by going when they have the best promotions, I can justify spending a bit more for a Disney hotel.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJMan66 View Post
    I love WDW more than any other place to vacation; but have they priced themselves out (too high) for those of us who want luxury at a reasonable price?
    They have for us. We live in Florida but 2 hours away so we choose to spend the night when we are there which is about 6 times per year. Additionally it's usually a Friday and Saturday night and we all know Disney's policy change regarding weekend nights $$$$. We use to rotate between all the Deluxe resorts. Not anymore. We much prefer the Florida resident or passholder rates at the Swan and Dolphin now. They even honor them on the weekends. Convenience, reasonable price, 24 hour food court, great dining options, within walking distance to Epcot, MGM and Fantasia Mini-Golf, buses for all other parks and attractions, town cars for hire constantly outside the entrance, spacious rooms, some with balconies, staffed Disney desk ...
    I recently priced a Saturday night in March - standard room $534 at the Boardwalk Inn (and Beach & Yacht Clubs) and $201at the Swan. Which one would you choose?

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

Default You can't compare Orlando to other Markets

Just as an FYI, you can't compare the cost of hotels outside of Orlando to the cost of hotels inside Orlando. I travel a bunch for business and often pay ridiculous prices for 3 star hotels; espcially if I am at a conference. On the other hand, Orlando hotels are much less expensive than other markets; for better quality.

IMHO WDW delux hotel prices have "gotten out of hand" and are not longer competititve with other Delux hotels in Orlando.
    2001 - Wilderness Lodge
    2003 - CBR
    2004 - POR/AKL
    2005 - POR
    2006 - AKL

2007 - Saratoga Springs
    2007 - Poly
    Feb 2008 - AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It will be very interesting to see what, if any, effect the new on-property Four Seasons (i.e. a real deluxe resort) will have on Disney's deluze pricing.

Either they must know that Four Seasons is going to set their pricing at like $400 a night for openers or they haven't really thought this one through very well.

If you ask me to pay $500 a night for a dressed-up Holiday Inn room at the Grand Floridian or $500 a night for a room at the Four Seasons, it's not even a contest.

Then again, this entire conversation doesn't really apply to us since we own DVC anyway ... and this is exactly why we bought!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scandal

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ...a dressed-up Holiday Inn room at the Grand Floridian...
    For writing this you are sentenced to lunch at Whispering Canyon every day for a year.

Didn't you get the memo that says WDW resorts are the only hotels in the universe?

I think The Four Seasons at WDW will be marketed like the Four Seasons in Las Vegas - For people who want relaxed luxury near the action without being immersed in the action 24x7.

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly the reason why it is so hard for me to convince BF to stay on property. With the benefits you get at off property hotels that are just minutes from the parks still, its just so hard to get him to agree to stay on property.

We are going in August and when we can pay $20 less per night than a value and get free internet, fridge, microwave, and plasma tv its hard to sacrifice those things with paying more money.
    Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: