Quantcast CoP Update needed?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default CoP Update needed?

Anyone think CoP needs the ending updated? I mean I know it does not attract a lot of guests but I think its by far one of the best attractions of all WDW and find my self watching it on youtube over and over again too when I get the WDW itch. It still gives ya that vintage Disney feeling, ahh musty theatre. Anyway, The rear projection tv was high-tech in like 98, Lazer discs are a thing of the past, voice activation now exist (in cell phones and limited in cars) and the laptop Sara is using is from like nam. (black and green screen that is about the same size as a old VCR). Be nice to see some new ideas of what the future may hold.
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another ... to bridge the gaps between us ... to communicate."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

CoP was all about the 20th century. All of the scenes depict eras of the 20th century as envisioned by Walt Disney and his Imagineers in the early 60's. I think it stands up pretty well, seeing that they weren't that far off with the last two decades (80's - 90's)

Post Thanks / Like

The last scene was actually updated in the 90's to portray the technology projected for the year 2000--the new millenium. Granted, 10 years after this date it does seem a bit dated, but was probably pretty progressive for its time (I still wish there was more of the voice-activated stuff out there, or that I could afford it!)

Given how sporadically Carousel of Progress is open, and the light attendance even when it is, it probably wouldn't make sense for Disney to spend a lot on updating it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

DisneyNut2005 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Given how sporadically Carousel of Progress is open...
    Actually, the CoP has been running every single day of the year since early 2003 at least.

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed that the audience has grown larger over the last few years for this show. It is a classic and I think it should be preserved.

Maybe they should consider putting it back to something like the original show from the 1964 World's Fair - that way, the last scene won't look outdated all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lindique View Post
    I have noticed that the audience has grown larger over the last few years for this show. It is a classic and I think it should be preserved.

Maybe they should consider putting it back to something like the original show from the 1964 World's Fair - that way, the last scene won't look outdated all the time.
    I loved the original. Remember the last scene where Dad is making his traditional avec jambon (ham and eggs). It was my favorite.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

I heart the COP
    “I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park (Disneyland). I want to feel they're in another world.” Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I love it as well, maybe they could add an extra scene instead of using one stage for unloading and then moving to the next for loading, guess it would have to load pretty quick though in that case. I have noticed that there is actually some what of a line on it in the 2 years as well.
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers. From the very beginning, we have always sought to reach out to one another ... to bridge the gaps between us ... to communicate."

Post Thanks / Like

I love CoP and hope that Disney don't update it anymore, its nostalgic and seems very much Walt's idea of the future - not today's. Plus it has a great song and is lovely and air conditioned - a great place to hide when the Florida sunshine is getting too hot!
    Previous Trips
    1998 - Offsite
    1999 - Offsite
    2003 - Offsite
    2005 - All Star Movies
    2007 - Pop Century
    2008 - Pop Century
    June 2009 - Pop Century
    Next trip ... September 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Although I can see your point on CoP being outdated in areas, I still think it's fun to see what people thought the future (our current time) would look like. We really don't think the way people used to about the future, because we already lived through a millennium and the next one is far beyond our lifespan
    Kimberly a.k.a. Your Magical Guide
    Visited WDW:
    03/2018 - POFQ (Bldg. 2)
    05/2017 - POR (Oak Manor - Royal Guest Room)
    09/2011 - POR (Oak Manor)
    03/2009 - CBR (Martinique)
    03/2007 - Offsite
    03/2004 - Offsite
    03/2003 - Offsite
    03/1998 - Offsite
    10/1995 - Offsite
    07/1988 - Contemporary

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO they could tinker with the final scene a small amount, but the rest should be left alone.
    74-79 poly w/parents
    99' WL - 00' WL- 01' WL - 02' WL - 03' WL
    04' WL - 04' AS Sports - FEB 05' WL - May 05' POR
    Sept 05' POR cancelled/Katrina
    Oct 05' BCV, Mardi Gras 06' WLV
    Labor day 06 SSR, November 06, Dec POR, Aug 07 BCV, Feb 08 WLV
    Easter 08 OKW, Labor Day 08CBR,Nov08 SSR, Next feb09?

Post Thanks / Like

I would love it if they could just get the air conditioning going a little better. It was only coolish and quite mussty the last two times we were in there. I still love it, thouh. I'll be there next week and won't miss it.
    Feb. '07-PoP
    Feb. '08-Coronado Springs
    Feb. "09- AKL
    Oct. 09 Contemporary
    March '10-Disney Cruise Disney Wonder
    September '10 -Pop Century/Disney Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Personally, I think they should 'tweak' it somehow to re-spark interest in it like they did with IASW and HM.

Either they could restore it back to the original, in which case it would just be a nostalgic look at how progress was viewed during Walt's day or they could update the scenes to make it more modern and forward looking.

I'd actually be okay if they chopped the first scene completely, started with the second scene intact, left the third scene intact as the second scene, tweaked the current ending to be kind of "today", and then added an entirely new ending with crazy projections for future technology.

Either way, I think it would be best if they either doled it out some TLC or just shut it down. I kinda feel bad for it the way it is.

Sadly, all indications are that it will eventually be demolished to make way for some as-yet-to-be-determined E-Ticket ride in that space. Although that's almost certainly a ways off, if it ever happens at all.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The perfect tie-in to Tomorrowland would be a time travel pre-show allowing guests to Travel Back to the 1964 World's Fair and see a Walt Disney original attraction. Of course this would mean restoring it to the 1964 version
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Telford, United Kingdom.......4,236 miles.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Sadly, all indications are that it will eventually be demolished to make way for some as-yet-to-be-determined E-Ticket ride in that space. Although that's almost certainly a ways off, if it ever happens at all.
    If Intercot is anything to go by there will be mass riots if/when that day came!
    Disney World Visits:
    1. May-June 1998 (3 weeks)
    2. May-June 2001 (3 weeks)
    3. October-November 2004 (2 weeks)
    4. August-September 2010 (2 weeks)
    5. August-September 2017 (2 weeks)

NOW APPROACHING: 6. May 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SubNET3 View Post
    Anyone think CoP needs the ending updated? I mean I know it does not attract a lot of guests but I think its by far one of the best attractions of all WDW and find my self watching it on youtube over and over again too when I get the WDW itch. It still gives ya that vintage Disney feeling, ahh musty theatre. Anyway, The rear projection tv was high-tech in like 98, Lazer discs are a thing of the past, voice activation now exist (in cell phones and limited in cars) and the laptop Sara is using is from like nam. (black and green screen that is about the same size as a old VCR). Be nice to see some new ideas of what the future may hold.
    some would argue that Laser discs were outdated when they first came out...DVD blew them away quickly
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: