Quantcast Disney plans resorts reorganization, layoffs {Merged Threads} - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked Lockedoutlogic's response, especially the reference to the "total quality management" model for the 80's and 90's. Where is my time machine?

I know that I will get some negative responses to what I am about to say, but I will preface it with the fact that I am excited to take my family back to WDW each and every time (and so are they!!)...in fact, we are going for this weekend (heading over tomorrow)...OK, here's my perspective:

I realize that Walt had a vision of an ever-changing resort and park experience. He also didn't want his creations to be anything similar to the dirty carnivals that existed in his era and which still exist today. BUT...the WDW and EPCOT of twenty and thirty years ago has its common threads and yet there are clear distinctions to product and service in the present day. Note that I am excluding Studios and AK from this discussion, because of their relatively new dates of creation.

I remember the very special way that CM's treated my parents, grandparents, and myself in the mid 70's. Everything was new and it was a learning process for the company in every sense of the word. Fast forward to the 80's....MK has a decade under its belt and EPCOT is an exciting look into the future. I know that so many on here remember attractions like Horizons and although it was a somewhat simple production, it was a must-see for me every time I came to the park. Literally...every time...I was a CM at the Centorium back in '88. They would let us take our breaks in the park back then (not sure if this is still the case). I would often spend my lunches walking around Future World, answering questions and helping guests and riding Horizons. To me, it embodied the Imagineering nucleus of Disney...and I loved it. The 90's saw some of the WDW that I know and love slip away and now, with this "streamlining"....I don't know what to think. I started another thread in accommodations about how FL residents don't get breaks on weekends for resorts anymore and stroller prices are nutty. I know that this economy is horrible and I hope that we all bounce back in 2009. I work in medical marketing now and I am glad to be working, period...I just want the Disney experience that I knew to come back into focus and I want my kids' Disney experiences to get better and not worse. I can't tell you how many times we have been to MK. We have been to Universal once...the kids, my wife and me do not like either park. There is a quality about them that is just 180 degrees from the Disney quality experience and THAT, my friends is what it is all about!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Epcot now has a new VP... DAN COCKERELL.. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing...

McPhee promoted to new position as well... Bye bye Epcot..

From Orlando Sentinel:

Disney announces new executive assignments

Jason Garcia | Sentinel Staff Writer
    5:10 PM EST, February 19, 2009

The number two executive at Walt Disney World is being bumped up to run newly merged resort functions between Orlando and Anaheim, Calif.

Erin Wallace, who has been the senior vice president of operations at Disney World since August 2006, moves to the new position senior vice president of operations integration/line of business for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

Disney announced the move Thursday, one day after unveiling a broad restructuring of its U.S. theme parks designed to consolidate operations between Disney World and Disneyland. The company, which has been hit hard by a sharp drop in consumer spending, will cut an undisclosed number of jobs in the coming weeks as part of the streamlining.

In her new role, Wallace will oversee a series of combined functions at Disney's domestic parks. They include merchandise development, entertainment and imaging, attractions, lodging, animal programs and environmental initiatives.

Wallace, 49, has been with Disney for more than 23 years. She began in the resort's industrial engineering department, and her assignments have included vice president in charge of the Magic Kingdom, Disney's flagship theme park.

Wallace will report to Al Weiss, president of worldwide operations at Disney's parks and resorts division.

Disney also said Thursday that it has named Dan Cockerell to run Epcot, the second-busiest of Walt Disney World's four theme parks. Cockerell, previously a general manager in the Magic Kingdom, succeeds Jim MacPhee, who will now oversee special projects at the Orlando resort.

Each of the vice presidents overseeing individual theme parks will continue to report directly to Walt Disney World President Meg Crofton. So will MacPhee and the executives in charge of Downtown Disney, golf operations, sports facilities and transportation.

Crofton will continue to report to Weiss.

At the same time as it combines operational functions at its U.S. parks, Disney is also consolidating real-estate and business development functions into one unit and all of Walt Disney Imagineering, the company's attraction-design arm, into another unit.

The goal, a Disney spokesman said, is to develop "a three-pronged team" within Disney's parks division, with one charged with developing new initiatives such as new parks and expansions, another with designing and building the infrastructure, and the third with running day-to-day operations.

Disney's parks division, which accounts for more than a quarter of the Disney Co.'s total revenue, has taken other streamlining steps. Last week, the division announced that Disney Cruise Line and the Adventures by Disney packaged-tour business would be merged into a single department "focused on operating the businesses that take the Disney brand to new places."
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
    So, are there any people that you think have been an asset to the company and have made good decisions AND are still part of the Disney empire? Are there any execs that you DO like? And if so, why?
    Yeah ... Matt Ouimet. The guy who ran Disneyland for a couple years and finally whipped it back into shape after years of neglect by Pressler, Harris, et. al.

But you'll notice he's no longer with Disney. Make of that what you will ...

Quote Originally Posted by jetsdc View Post
    See - this doesn't bother me. In fact it strikes me as the perfect place to be efficient. I don't keep the cups, plates or napkins; they're trashed the minute I'm done eating. So if they can save a few bucks that way, great.
    I agree totally. To me, things like that are the perfect place to leverage purchasing power and drive costs down.

The food and merch and stuff ... to me, that's a bad place to do it because it so dramatically impacts guest experiences.

But again ... maybe once they recognize all the saving from these consolidations, they won't have to cut so many corners where it impacts the guest. I mean I will agree that it's unlikely (the most probable scenario has the cash flowing directly into executive bonuses), but it is possible that all this is being done because Disney actually recognizes its current failings and is trying to address them.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    The menus are dangerously being close to standard in many places....the most obvious example to me are the "Signature" dining locations....

The menus are all the same.....perhaps a one or two item difference per course....but largely interchangeable. Tenderloin, Chicken Breast, Salmon, Creme Brulee, and Cheesecake are on every menu....without exception...

Its been going that way....and will continue.
    Agree completely with this. The last time we were there, I was somewhat bothered by the lack of variety in desserts. I'm not sure about the other parks, but it seemed the worst at AK and DHS. It seems like they had only 3 or 4 choices, all the same, at every restaurant we went to.

And, the number of menu items available has drastically gone down. I understand that they needed to streamline some things and consolidate their suppliers for cost efficiencies, and I don't have a problem with it. But, it seems they took it too far by pushing those efficiencies into the kitchens and on the chefs to dumb down or simplify their choices. I imagine for the average guest who only comes once every 6 years (according to stats) it goes un-noticed. But, for those of us who go at least once a year, it's very noticable, and irritating considering the cost.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    ...it seems they took it too far by pushing those efficiencies into the kitchens and on the chefs to dumb down or simplify their choices. I imagine for the average guest who only comes once every 6 years (according to stats) it goes un-noticed. But, for those of us who go at least once a year, it's very noticable, and irritating considering the cost.
    I agree 100%.

But again, why do they care? They've dramatically reduced the quality and variety of foods they offer, thus saving a ton of money, and then they sold everyone the DDP to basically guarantee they have to eat whatever Disney offers. But since there are so many "Disney is perfect and can do no wrong" type of people out there, they're still making money hand over fist and have no incentive to do anything differently.

It's like when USAir announced that all preferred frequent fliers could now get unlimited space available upgrades to first class and then promptly ripped out all the first class seats on their planes.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    The walmarting of WDW is you will. This will be the downfall. They will regret it one day. This is one reason, despite me not liking Universal, I hope Harry Potter is awesome. Pull people away from the gates of WDW's stale product for somethng new and truly magical.
    I wouldn't go that far in calling WDW a 'stale product' though.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I agree totally. To me, things like that are the perfect place to leverage purchasing power and drive costs down.

The food and merch and stuff ... to me, that's a bad place to do it because it so dramatically impacts guest experiences.
    How much money do they really save by printing "Disney Parks" on all the plates and napkins...I would think the savings are nominal. This actually bugs me...I like seeing Walt Disney World on my cup and on the napkins (which I actually take home btw). To me its taking cost cutting too far at that point.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Name dropper! hehe

From what I've seen, people get promoted to the level of their incompetence. At Disney, like most big business, failure seems to be rewarded.
    So true. And tush-kissing is responsible for a lot of this incompetence. Here's a quote from a professor of psychology at Clarkson University - "People who are high in the need for power are also high in the need for flattery. They are more likely to reward those who flatter them with pay raises and promotions. Flatterers receive noticeably higher ratings and pay raises than nonflatterers who perform equally well at measured tasks."
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    How much money do they really save by printing "Disney Parks" on all the plates and napkins...I would think the savings are nominal. This actually bugs me...I like seeing Walt Disney World on my cup and on the napkins (which I actually take home btw). To me its taking cost cutting too far at that point.
    Based on what I would assume is a massive volume of napkins, cups, and plates used by those two parks in a given year, I'd guess they could save alot. Even if they save just a penny per item (which is very possible by combining the purchasing power of the two locations) that could translate into very serious money.

Eh ... stale? Maybe not yet. But definitely getting there.

We took our first non-Disney vacation (a cruise) last week and I forgot what it felt like to truly be treated like someone special and to honestly get real enjoyment out of a vacation.

We're already talking about cancelling our December trip and taking another cruise instead. Having finally gone back to getting real first class service and amenities, I'm not sure I'm ready to rush back to Disney to pretend mediocrity is "deluxe."

For us, Disney has got to step it up and start providing better value for the dollar or we will cut back significantly on our visits and start spending our vacation dollars elsewhere.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Name dropper! hehe

From what I've seen, people get promoted to the level of their incompetence. At Disney, like most big business, failure seems to be rewarded.
    My husband doesn't totally disagree with that statement....(has seen this first hand)!
    Amy
    First trip in 1983...at 5 yrs old and have been hooked ever since!
    Next trip: Last week in April 2015 at Fort Wilderness Campground

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Ian said, it is getting there. It will be stale at the current rate they are moving at. I am hoping this management shake up does something wonderful, but, I am not holding my breath either.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, well, I'm not really sure what to think about all this.

On the one hand, it's about time they thought to consolidate the operations/management of these two entities. The discrepancies between the Florida and California properties are just out of control at this point. It's to the point where I feel like there should be fine print to the tune of "each Disney Resort is independently franchise owned and operated" under the Disney Parks logos, like you see at the bottom of Subway commercials...

I've sort of gotten used to it, but I still sometimes get hit over the head with something that goes on at DL that is just SO different from how it happens at WDW or vice versa, and it drives me crazy to wonder "Why????", when it's all supposedly the same company.

On the other hand, there are so many things about the way Disneyland does things that I think is SO MUCH BETTER than at WDW, that I hope they don't just take the "cheaper is better" approach and bring the mediocrity over here and make it the status quo. That would be sad. In addition, there are some things over here at DLR that are just head scratchers, and I hope they don't implement those things over at WDW either. I just really hope that they take the BEST of both properties, and find a way to integrate it all to TRULY provide the best possible guest experience. I hope for this, but I have pretty low expectations, sadly.

While I agree that it's sad that people are losing their jobs, I think it's necessary, and I applaud Disney for actually cutting out unnecessary positions. There truly is no need to have these resorts run as two separate entities, if they can find a way to merge them into one, via policies and procedures that are in place across the board for both DLR and WDW with regards to tickets, hotels, dining, etc. It must be frustrating for the "everyday" consumer (not us Disney geeks) who visit both coasts and experience something SO different. The Disney Dining Plan is one example (it doesn't even exist at DLR). The ticket media is another. Extra Magic Hours, Resort Guest benefits, and annual pass benefits are all different between the two properties. The Resort guest experience is vastly different at the two properties, etc. The CM training is OBVIOUSLY completely different (better at DLR, where the CM's actually seem to LIKE their jobs, and are friendly and knowledgeable). There's a lot that needs to be addressed. I hope it's done in a way that limits MAJOR changes and just makes the whole experience more seamless, similar to the concept of McDonalds...you should have the same experience, same food, etc. at every one you visit.

I wish they'd give ME this job...I could do it.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I agree with just about everything you said, Nat, but one thing in particular ...

The CM's at Disneyland are unbelievably superior to those at Disney World. It's not even a contest. It's like Wal-Mart vs. Four Seasons.

Every time I go to DL I'm reminded of what I'm missing out on in WDW.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Like Ian said, it is getting there. It will be stale at the current rate they are moving at. I am hoping this management shake up does something wonderful, but, I am not holding my breath either.
    I see yours and Ian's point...BUT..stale for us regulars or stale for the general population that only visits WDW a handful of times...to them it doesn't seem to be stale.

I'm not defending Disney here, but I don't find it stale. I think some of the cost cutting has cheapend WDW, but I still think it has that "magic" for me and new guests.

I travel a lot and have been in quite a few hotels from Silicon Valley to Madison, WI and I still think Disney's service and amenities are on par for what I pay.
    Up Next:

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Everyone is entitled to make their own value judgements on how they spend their vacation dollars, that's for sure.

And I do agree that, by and large, the general public probably doesn't notice things in Disney World the way we do.

But I have to tell you ... I've heard quite a few first-timers come back and say that it wasn't at all what they expected it would be. Disney's rep is tough to live up to under the best of circumstances, let alone when they're slacking and cutting corners.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

lockedoutlogic Guest

I agree with just about everything you said, Nat, but one thing in particular ...

The CM's at Disneyland are unbelievably superior to those at Disney World. It's not even a contest. It's like Wal-Mart vs. Four Seasons.

Every time I go to DL I'm reminded of what I'm missing out on in WDW.
    Hmmm.....

Perhaps working in a "left" coast, progressive state like California.....as opposed to a "southern charm", laid back, Right to (exploit the) Work (ers) state does manifest itself in tangible terms....

Naw.....can't be....

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe that they would save that much money either by having 2 different sets of cups and napkins. I remember when each resort had its own napkins - that was a bit much maybe, but I believe that those napkins helped to develop a feeling of loyalty in the guest which would make them want to come back to that hotel again.

At the beginning of the Year of a Million Dreams, I remember that they tried to sell t-shirts that said "Disney Parks". I said "tried to sell" because they didn't sell at all, were discontinued very quickly and replaced by shirts that said "Walt Disney World". This is sort of the same thing that I said above about the napkins. No one wants to say (or wear) that they went to a Disney Park - you want to talk (or advertise in the case of the shirt) about the place you actually went to, not some generic.

If they want guests to feel like they have some loyalty to the resort, they should sell more things with the actual name on it, not less. You can't even buy a postcard of the hotels anymore. It really makes me sad at how things have changed.

Post Thanks / Like

. . . The food and merch and stuff ... to me, that's a bad place to do it because it so dramatically impacts guest experiences . . .
    1) WDW dining has gone downhill.
    2) That is why we eat at only five sit-down eateries at WDW.
    3) And, only two of them are Disney-owned.
    4) Non-Disney eateries have a better respect for the food and the guests.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    I'm also concerned that there will be a loss of diversity. Despite their similiarites, at their hearts Disneyland and WDW are two very different resorts, in style, history, atmosphere, guest demographics and attractions. Things that will work in California won't work in Florida, and vice versa.
    I can understand this concern of Aurora's and others; however, in many ways it would be impossible to homogenize the WDW and DL experiences completely. For example, something unique about DL is the compact, almost intimate feeling of that park. WDW isn't like this at all. Taking advantage of all the cheap Florida land that was available, WDW is designed on a much larger scale than is DL, with lots of elbow room between attractions. Some people call this wasted space; others like the stroll and prefer a less claustrophobic feel. There is no way to move the 'berms' in at WDW, to make the park smaller, or to move attractions closer together; so --and this is just one example --DL and WDW cannot become clones of one another. It just isn't possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    Hmmm.....Perhaps working in a "left" coast, progressive state like California.....as opposed to a "southern charm", laid back, Right to (exploit the) Work (ers) state does manifest itself in tangible terms.... Naw.....can't be....
    You're right, it's not that.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: