Quantcast Old Key West?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Old Key West?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Key West?

We just booked our 1 week vacation in August for a one-bedroom villa at OKW but this is one of the Disney resorts that I don't know much about! Any tips for a good room location? We'll have our own car if that makes a difference! Any other tips or suggestions? What's good, what's bad about the resort? Thanks!
    ~ * Liz * ~
    Costuming CM CP Alumni / Aug 06 - May 07 -
    Magic Kingdom / MNNSHP / Mickey's Twas / Spectro / Pirate & Princess / Animal Kingdom / MJJP =)

Last trip: July 10 - ASSp/AKL
    Next trip: May 11 - Planning Session with DFTW!

Disney Bride - 11/10/11

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you using points, renting points, or paying cash through a DVC rate? If so, there is a special category for buildings near the Hospitality House. If you are paying through CRO, you should be able to request any location on your reservation.

Much of OKW depends on what you want your vacation to be like. Numerous rooms overlook golf courses and/or water. There are a few badly located rooms at the back of the resort which have a not-so-pleasant view of the highway - but admittedly, these rooms are few and far between.

Parking at the resort is tops - you'll be parked a few feet from your room.

Are you looking to be close to the "action" (not that there's a lot of action at OKW, mind you)? Are you looking for peace and seclusion? It really all depends on what you want.

The buildings near the HH offer nice views of golf and the convenience of proximity. The bus stops are located throughout the resort, so location isn't a huge deal for bussing.

We love buildings 23-26. Great views, great location; but they are the preferred rooms at OKW when reserving.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

We aren't DVC members or anything like that, just paying through CRO. I think it would be nice to be near the lobby/food/and main pool but somewhat quiet!
    ~ * Liz * ~
    Magic Kingdom / MNNSHP / Mickey's Twas / Spectro / Pirate & Princess / Animal Kingdom / MJJP =)

Disney Bride - 11/10/11

Post Thanks / Like

We just stayed at OKW in February paying by cash. The whole resort is quiet. I would try to get a location near the HH if I were you. This is a HUGE resort. You can't just walk to the HH if you are in the back (or atleast I wouldn't.) It is beautiful and we loved it. We had a great time!
    6/11 DCL Med
    5/11 DCL & Port Bay
    10/10 SOG
    6/10 Regal Sun
    5/2010 AKL
    6/09 POFQ
    2/09 OKW
    10/08 AS Movies
    7/07 Pop
    12/06 C Beach
    3/06 POFQ
    3/05 C Springs
    3/04 POP
    3/03 SOG
    4/02 Contemp
    3/01 SOG
    3/00 AS Music
    6/99 SOG
    5/98 Best Western LBV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by *Liz* View Post
    We aren't DVC members or anything like that, just paying through CRO. I think it would be nice to be near the lobby/food/and main pool but somewhat quiet!
    Then make the request on your ressie. Buildings 11-14 are the absolute closest to the HH, with building #12 having (IMO) the best views (from higher up floors).

We love buildings 23-26 as they give you the best of both worlds - views, quiet, and a short walk to the HH.

Enjoy your time!
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Default my two cents

We love OKW because we like it quiet at night. It is peaceful. The pool is fun and lovely and there is sand for the kiddies. My best advice is, if you don't want to climb steps after a long day or you will have a stroller then request building 62-64 as these are the only ones with elevators. If that isn't a factor then buildings 11-14 are great as someone else said. Buildings 15-16 and 23-26 are a reasonable distance from the HH. Avoid 30-44!

Post Thanks / Like

How many floors do the buildings have? Would it be quieter on a higher floor vs. a first floor room? Thanks!
    ~ * Liz * ~

Disney Bride - 11/10/11

Post Thanks / Like

Default hmmmm...

I am not quite remembering but I believe that they are only two floors, maybe 3. That aside you may want an upper unit because the view is better and it can be a little quieter if you have a family with alot of little ones you might hear them thumping around on the floors. A ground unit you can go out on your little patio and the ducks will come right up onto the patio for bread and crackers. You may or may not like this fact. They do tend to do what ducks do best on the patio and sooo... The upper balconies are very nice for viewing the river and golf course.

Post Thanks / Like

Most buildings have 3 floors - only 3 of the 49 buildings have elevators. In no particular order, I recommend requesting...

Buildings 15 or 16 - Closest to the Hospitality House without being a DVC Member. Hard to get into.
    Buildings 19 or 20 - Close to the Miller's Road pool, bus stop, and reasonably close to the Hospitality House.
    Buildings 27 to 29 - Just like 15 or 16.
    Buildings 32 to 35 - Great if you just want a place to sleep at night. Close to a bus stop, all the rooms have pretty nice views.
    Buildings 42 or 43 - Close to the Turtle Pond pool (with Snack Bar!)
    Buildings 45 or 46 - Great views of the Canal (only ones with Canal view, except 55) , not far from the South Point pool and Bus Stop.
    Buildings 53 to 56 - Close to the South Point pool and very close to a bus stop. Building 55 has Canal views.
    Buildings 62 to 64 - Practically the Hospitality Booking, but available to non-members. Nice views, the only buildings with elevators. VERY difficult to get into.

If you don't sleep well at night, request NOT Buildings 21, 22, 38, 49, 50, 51, and 52 - they're prone to road noise.
    If you don't like bus noise, request NOT Buildings 21, 22, 36, 40, 44, 51, and 52.
    Buildings 49, 50, 51 are at the farthest end of the resort.

Anything else I can do for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great! Thanks!
    ~ * Liz * ~

Disney Bride - 11/10/11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: