Quantcast Test Track Losing GM Sponsorship? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
    I think test track....while not unpopular....is really only an average at best draw at WDW
    Yes, but without actual numbers how do you know? The perception is that's its quite popular and it sure seems to be from the lines and the number of people asking about riding it. Without hard numbers, both thoughts are equally valid.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

lockedoutlogic, my point is that most of your concerns are either 10 years old and have already been addressed, or apply to any ride, not just Test Track.

And the computer systems very rarely "scram" (and on the minuscule occasions when they do, see the comment about "apply to any ride"), they detect a potentially unsafe situation before it happens, and then prevent it from happening - which is why Test Track also has a top-notch safety record.

Post Thanks / Like

Test Track DOES still close often, for whatever reason. Maybe not in the off season, but in the summer, it's not uncommon for there to be delays. Last time I was hit wit TWO during my wait in the fastpass line.

It is one expensive ride to maintain, I don't think Disney woud absorb the operating costs, there's just too much breakage and there's no return. At least GM could argue that the costs of running the ride help sell their cars. Rethemiong it to Cars would be a stretch that would probably require a lot of rework for what? Would they really sell more Cars merch? It really sells itself, I told think they would see much return.

And while I don't mind TT at all, it is a good ride, if I dont get on it (which happens a lot since I refuse to wait in those lines) it's not a big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Manybe Ford could take it over? Since they didn't "shake hands with the devil" and take cash, they really could boost their image here. "Look, we didn't take your tax money AND we're working with Disney!"
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Manybe Ford could take it over? Since they didn't "shake hands with the devil" and take cash, they really could boost their image here. "Look, we didn't take your tax money AND we're working with Disney!"
    ford is gonna go too.....they just are quite as stupid as the other two

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Stop View Post
    lockedoutlogic, my point is that most of your concerns are either 10 years old and have already been addressed, or apply to any ride, not just Test Track.

And the computer systems very rarely "scram" (and on the minuscule occasions when they do, see the comment about "apply to any ride"), they detect a potentially unsafe situation before it happens, and then prevent it from happening - which is why Test Track also has a top-notch safety record.
    the concerns are still persistent though....and with lack of sponsorship....the the bottomline becomes more blaring in the eyes of Operations....

It costs a fortune to maintain that thing....it always has and always will. There are six onboard computers (obselete...by the way) and...i believe....9 wheels on every car....and their performance still is terrible after all these years.

When it was new and it didn't work that was a problem....now add fatigue, stress, and age to the equation.

I don't think they'll shutter the ride the minute sponsorship falls through....they really can't.

But they are in danger of really jeopardizing that side of the park...

The "pre-emptive" rehab and overhaul that started in the 1990's has taken forever and cost a fortune....and it sure seems like the park is falling behind the cutting edge/ thrill angle they intended on capturing with the renovations.

Horizons is gone (it was outdated....but something)....Imagination is shot and probably needs to be razed and started from scratch.....innoventions is still worthless....the universe of energy is way past its usefullness.....mission space yielded lawsuits and ridiculous amounts of injuries/ DEATHS...Test Track continues to be the little ride that could....but can't...and wonders of life was abandoned "because they felt like it"

I'm just saying that the state of EPCOT is not very good.....and test track is part of the problem....not the solution

And now....with money freezing and capital expenditures all but eliminated.....it could be 5 or more years before anything is addressed there.....

If i were the management (which i'm not because i have this silly notion that construction should occur when the parks AREN'T packed for a year or two)....here's what i would do:

1. Halt any tinkering in futureworld other than for fixing operational issues
    2. Add two country pavilions (yes....i know that's a bean counter/ sponsorship thing too...but let me just be naive and simplify it for the moment)
    3. Shift marketing towards the adult audience the showcase to provide cover for construction on the otherside
    4. Raze Imagination and start from scratch....the ride has been ruined beyond repair....and it's pathetic that HISTA is still there.....we can't get a new 3-D every 15 years or so?
    5. Once Imagination is up...or better yet close to it....Think about gutting out Universe of Energy to get something a little more "today"...by then Ellen's talkshow should be gone too...so no cross-marketing
    6. Then take Test Track out....completely...use the building if possible....but definitely get that ridiculous cash guzzler replace

just a thought

Post Thanks / Like

test track is a horribly design thrillride that has restrictions and isn't suitable for all ages....
    And in another post I think you referred to it as a miserable failure... Yet TT remains one of the most popular rides at Epcot (#1 for many years until the opening of Soarin'), and still in the upper echelon of all rides (by popularity) in the entire WDW Resort.

If it was designed to entertain, then it sounds more like a success than a failure i think.

Post Thanks / Like

There are six onboard computers (obselete...by the way)
    2 - and they work just fine.

....9 wheels on every car....
    22, 4 tires, 16 guide wheels, and 2 speed-checking wheels.

and their performance still is terrible after all these years.
    Opinion, not fact.

<lots of words about what should be done with Epcot, including that "... Imagination ... has been ruined beyond repair...">
    Well, at least it looks like you and I can at least partially agree on some things.

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who think GM will still continue to be the sponsor, read the atricle on Yahoo. Their own auditors say they won't survive and may have to seek bankruptcy protection. They received $13.4 billion in federal loans, are seeking $30 billion from the government bailout money, and have lost $82 billion in the last 3 years. In 2008 alone, they lost $30.9 billion. I just don't see this sponsorship lasting any longer.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
    Do we really know that to be the case, though?
    Tell me, when you invest $10 million intom something, and lost $83 billion in a three year span, did you make $20 million off the investment?

When GM says they don't have funds to operate, I don't care what is budgeted for marketing. They are in dire straits and really in trouble financially.

I am not looking for GM to leave and letting TT go sponsorless. But, it doesn;t make financial sense for then to spend this money on a theme park attraction. And if you want to use brand recognition as the excuse, more people see their commercials on TV than their name on an Epcot attraction.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Stop View Post
    2 - and they work just fine.

22, 4 tires, 16 guide wheels, and 2 speed-checking wheels.

Opinion, not fact.

Well, at least it looks like you and I can at least partially agree on some things.
    so since you work in EPCOT maintenance...i have a couple of questions:

1. Are they still burning through tires?
    2. Have they increased the capacity to more than the 1500 or so an hour that they could muster before? (unlike the 2500+ and hour movers and shakers in the Magic Kingdom)
    3. Do actual GM mechanics work on the cars? And if so...do they give Disney a break on their $140 an hour labor charges?

on a side note: Maelstrom - What's that all about?

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cgriff View Post
    And in another post I think you referred to it as a miserable failure... Yet TT remains one of the most popular rides at Epcot (#1 for many years until the opening of Soarin'), and still in the upper echelon of all rides (by popularity) in the entire WDW Resort.

If it was designed to entertain, then it sounds more like a success than a failure i think.

I think you're making the mistake of not considering Disney's management take on what is a "success" and what is not....

As customers...we see a 45 minute wait and think that a ride is a hit....

WDW Operations....on the other hand....see nothing but labor outlays, utility costs, maintenace and repairs (big one in the case of test track) and other operational expenses....they then add up all those costs and compare it to the park revenue.....something test track has never really added to because it's not a big merchandise pusher....
    And don't forget that it cost a literal forturne to build.....almost 10 years of disaster design, redesign, testing, retesting, and millions of dollars in labor to conduct all this madness on site.....not including the design and fabrication costs....

I just don't think test track is consider to be as vital or successful as those standing in the single rider line are lead to believe.

Post Thanks / Like

I do have to say we avoid TT lately because it seems to be down a lot. The last time we tried it we went with a group of people who had never been to WDW before. We got on the ride and while on the ride it stopped working 5 or 6 seperate times, it was horrible.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    For those who think GM will still continue to be the sponsor, read the atricle on Yahoo. Their own auditors say they won't survive and may have to seek bankruptcy protection. They received $13.4 billion in federal loans, are seeking $30 billion from the government bailout money, and have lost $82 billion in the last 3 years. In 2008 alone, they lost $30.9 billion. I just don't see this sponsorship lasting any longer.
    The sponsorship, maybe not, but the press release you're referring to is just the faux "cry for help" that GM has to put out there to enable the Administration to give them more money.

Trust me ... the government funding is coming (and it's small potatoes, really, in the grand scheme of this bailout) and GM will not be going under. They said something very similar publicly about GMAC awhile ago and about the parent (GM) a few months before that. And then they both got bailed out.

Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    Tell me, when you invest $10 million intom something, and lost $83 billion in a three year span, did you make $20 million off the investment?
    YES! If the alternative was that you lose $83.02 billion!

Again, please don't misinterpret what I'm saying here. I'm not saying I think GM is going to continue with the sponsorship deal. And I'm not saying that they do, in fact, make any money off of it.

What I am saying is that the knee-jerk dismissing any sponsorship arrangement as ineffective and outrageous in the face of accepting government bailout money is wrong. How can GM expect to remain any kind of going concern if they're not advertising and keeping their brand out there??

And, again, no matter what anyone may thing, $10 million per year for a company of GM's size is peanuts.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I still think Ford should take it over. There is even a history there between Ford and Disney at the '64-'65 Worlds Fair. Don't get me wrong, I like GM ok (and currently drive a GM car), but my grandfather was a strict Ford man, and I would rather see them take it than Toyota...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

btw, for those who had questions about the origins of the whole ride sponsorship arrangement ... that was Walt who started that way back when with Disneyland and the World's Fair attractions.

It was his idea originally to have corporations share cost of development and maintenance of his attractions.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

lockedoutlogic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    btw, for those who had questions about the origins of the whole ride sponsorship arrangement ... that was Walt who started that way back when with Disneyland and the World's Fair attractions.

It was his idea originally to have corporations share cost of development and maintenance of his attractions.
    Indeed....though the 64 World's Fair and the early days of Disneyland were kinda a different scenario....

I don't know that even Walt would think that companies should be paying 5-10 million a year for 20+ year old shows and attractions that are often increasing overlooked and fading into the background of the WDW landscape....

Post Thanks / Like

If i were the management (which i'm not because i have this silly notion that construction should occur when the parks AREN'T packed for a year or two)....here's what i would do:
    Sorry, but IF you were, you would probably receive a lot of guest complaints. Because there seem to be several here who disagree with your opinions.

Whether you like TT or not, a lot of people do and ride it everyday which cannot be contested. Is it because it's one of the few thrill rides there, or is it because they're a captive audience? Doesn't really matter. It's a major attraction. And, like other attractions, that are kept even though they are burdens on operations like CoP, they can't easily be removed from the lineup. Of course, TT doesn't have the same kind of sentimental value as CoP, but because it is one of only a few attractions in that park, it's pretty much necessary to keep it running.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Going back to the original post, GM paid Disney $35 million over 10 years in 1982? In a press release I read online, Automotive News claims GM is paying Disney $5 million a year. So, if it still is a 10 year deal, I assume $50 million is being paid to Disney, not $10 million that we been tossing around. That is a lot of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    Sorry, but IF you were, you would probably receive a lot of guest complaints. Because there seem to be several here who disagree with your opinions.

Whether you like TT or not, a lot of people do and ride it everyday which cannot be contested. Is it because it's one of the few thrill rides there, or is it because they're a captive audience? Doesn't really matter. It's a major attraction. And, like other attractions, that are kept even though they are burdens on operations like CoP, they can't easily be removed from the lineup. Of course, TT doesn't have the same kind of sentimental value as CoP, but because it is one of only a few attractions in that park, it's pretty much necessary to keep it running.
    TT is popular. What locked is trying to say is, the numbers are very deceiving. We have to stop looking at 70 minute wait times and look at it through management eyes. They don't care about wait times, they care about money. And TT is a ride that has major issues. Tires are constantly replaced, the computer system old. The ride is a maintenance nightmare. This isn't from my point of view. This comes from people involved with the attraction. Will management, who is always looking to cut costs, going to allow a sponsorless TT run for the next 5 to 10 years? Probably not. The ride isn't going anywhere in the next year or two, but, without a sponsor,TT will go the way of other sponsorless attractions. Just look at WoL.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: