Quantcast Swine Flu - what does that mean for Disney?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Swine Flu - what does that mean for Disney?

I know that a vacation should be the last thing on my mind right now but we are going to Florida in less than 3 weeks and the current Swine flu has me scared. Will Disney respond to the outbreak and shut down its parks? I am a nurse and I already anticipate wearing masks on the plane, maybe even around the park if it's deemed necessary. Should we even be considering our trip or should we cancel? What is being recommended by Disney? What is everyone else doing?
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Would the swine flu make you cancel your trip to WDW?

If the swine flu numbers keep going up, would you cancel your trip to the World? I hope that things get under control soon, but what if the numbers keep growing? A place like WDW is a perfect place for the virus to spread to vacationers and be brought back to home states. Would WDW close their gates in an epidemic? Am I out of line for bringing this topic to Intercot?
    DVC - BCV
    Last Trip: 09.15
    Next Trip: 05.16

Post Thanks / Like

The first key is not to panic. As one involved in disaster response, I have been involved in discussion of pandemics for several years. I don't see this as reaching that level. At least not yet. Remember, the media makes a MUCH bigger deal out of things than is necessary. Inflammatory headlines and fear boosts their ratings. We have a (relatively) small number of folks that are sick in a couple of states and Mexico. This might be an epidemic for Mexico, but they are taking the right steps and I don't see this (yet) as a reason to cancel a vacation.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree with Stormchaser

I do not think that will keep us from going in November at this point! My dad is a coronor and at least here, they are not worried about it that much in the states!
    6/97 DL
    6/98 CS
    12/99 HONEYMOON
    4/01 DL
    1/04 ASMo
    12/04 POR
    12/05 ASMu
    12/07 AKL
    1/08 AKL
    11/09 POP

Post Thanks / Like

Not even giving it a second thought.
    Offsite 94
    Offiste 2001
    Offsite 2004
    AMO 2007
    POP April 2009 Oh yeah!!!
    AOA March 2013
    Pop 2015
    AK-Kidani 2016
    Beach Club 2016

Post Thanks / Like

leaving this friday i`am just worried about the plane ride and the possible germs on the plane i`am not a germ freak but this does have me a little worried
    5/84 buena vista palace
    9/00 crb
    8/02 por
    4/03 7day western carib cruise
    2/04 7 day eastern cruise
    may 14th -20th-2006 for 6 days 5 nights crb again
    next visit
    5/ 09 beach club

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaChan View Post
    Will Disney respond to the outbreak and shut down its parks?
    In a word - NO. It would take something much more severe than this current problem to make them take such a drastic action.

What you MIGHT see is increased emphasis on measures that help minimize outbreaks of 'regular' flu or diseases such as the Norwalk virus. Specifically, you may find the restaurants handing out antibacterial hand wipes as you enter (as they've been doing on their ships for years), increased reminders to wash your hands with soap and hot water frequently, and perhaps some staff attention to guests who display symptoms possibly related to this particular virus. Housekeeping will also likely be taking more measures to help prevent outbreaks - - more thorough cleaning and disinfecting of surfaces, etc.

You may also want to bring (or buy after arriving) a can or two of Lysol or similar antibacterial spray, and perhaps something along the lines of Clorox wipes to sanitize your hotel room. Don't forget to give particular attention to doorknobs, faucets, remote controls, and other such items that the previous guest likely handled.

I have been seeing a small number of passengers at the airport wearing face masks; exactly how effective that is, I don't know.

Beyond that, I wouldn't let this rather-limited problem spoil or cause you to cancel your trip.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TiggTigg5 View Post
    You may also want to bring (or buy after arriving) a can or two of Lysol or similar antibacterial spray, and perhaps something along the lines of Clorox wipes to sanitize your hotel room. Don't forget to give particular attention to doorknobs, faucets, remote controls, and other such items that the previous guest likely handled.

I have been seeing a small number of passengers at the airport wearing face masks; exactly how effective that is, I don't know.

Beyond that, I wouldn't let this rather-limited problem spoil or cause you to cancel your trip.

Getting Lysol or wipes sounds like a good idea. We have Clorox wipes. Would there be any reason we wouldn't be allowed to take some in our checked luggage?

I do plan on wearing masks on the plane just in case. It's a confined space and I'm sure flu droplets from a person 3 seats back could potentially travel far enough to reach us.

Even though I am a nurse and I know a thing or two about epidemics and pandemics (we had to take epidemiology) I still get really anxious about this sort of thing. I know that the CDC is very concerned but you would have to be towards any potential outbreak to keep it contained and to keep it from developing into a bigger issue than it could be. We will just be really careful and attentive to our bodies and any possible symptoms that might come up. Thanks for the info! This makes me feel better.
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)

Post Thanks / Like

I just heard of this today. We just arrived back from Disney last night. I wish I had known! I would have been more diligent with the Purell, especially with my son who is immune suppressed and has a chronic lung condition. Yuck!
    Kelly

4/98 Offsite
    11/03 Make a Wish Trip
    8/05, 4/07, 4/08, 4/09, 4/11, 4/12, 4/13, 4.14
    Sheraton Vistana Resort
    11/07 Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World

Next Trip: 04/15 Sheraton Vistana

Give the Gift of Life; Be an Organ Donor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would still go. Just remember good hygiene is important all the time - not just when there's an outbreak.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly freaking out being that I live right where the flu spread in NY.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Getting Lysol or wipes sounds like a good idea. We have Clorox wipes. Would there be any reason we wouldn't be allowed to take some in our checked luggage?
    You CAN take it in your checked luggage, but not in carry-on.

I failed to mention Purell or similar hand sanitizer, but I see that merlinmagic4 did; excellent suggestion.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

There's already a discussion goin on re: this topic.

I'm going to merge this thread with the other one. Please remain seated until the thread makes a full and complete stop.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Just a note from a biology major who is taking a course at the moment studying flu evolution..

Anti-"bacterial" products won't do anything for a virus. They only kill bacteria and the flu virus is a virus.

The best thing you can do is remember to wash your hands often. Soap is a far better tactic then antibacterial products in removing viruses. Also keep your hands away from your eyes, mouth and nose as much as possible if you think you've been around someone displaying flu symptoms.

Also the flu virus is usually spread by airborne viruses, they aren't positive how the swine virus is being spread from person to person yet but its a good bet its airborne. So try to keep your distance from anyone who is coughing/sneezing.

Furthermore, just to help avoid panic, the swing flu isn't nearly as aggressive as the avian flu. People who should be most concerned if they begin developing symtoms are older people, young children and anyone with an already compromised immune system.

Anyway, swine flu isn't found in mice, i'm sure Mickey will be just fine
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Just a note from a biology major who is taking a course at the moment studying flu evolution..

Anti-"bacterial" products won't do anything for a virus. They only kill bacteria and the flu virus is a virus.

The best thing you can do is remember to wash your hands often. Soap is a far better tactic then antibacterial products in removing viruses. Also keep your hands away from your eyes, mouth and nose as much as possible if you think you've been around someone displaying flu symptoms.

Also the flu virus is usually spread by airborne viruses, they aren't positive how the swine virus is being spread from person to person yet but its a good bet its airborne. So try to keep your distance from anyone who is coughing/sneezing.

Furthermore, just to help avoid panic, the swing flu isn't nearly as aggressive as the avian flu. People who should be most concerned if they begin developing symtoms are older people, young children and anyone with an already compromised immune system.

Clorox wipes also kill influenza viruses.

Thanks for the information!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post

I know that in the past ,flu epidemics have taken a larger toll on the very young, the very old and those previously compromised, but I read today that a majority of the victims this time around have been 25 -45 years old. While panic is not a reasonable response right now, I do think we need to be vigilant and to watch what is going on and what precautions are recommended...

You are right about the antibacterial issue - unless you have a product that is also anti viral, it won't help. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Sainter
    Oct97 AS Sports/Trop Palms
    Oct00 AS Sports/4 Pts Sheraton
    Oct01 Condo Nov02 POR/Calypso Cay
    Oct 03 POR Nov04 Pop
    Oct05, Mar07, June08 POR
    Mar09 AS Sports, Sept09 POR
    Mar11 Pop/CSR, Jan12 AS Sports
    Oct12 POR/CB, Oct14 OKW
    Sep15POFQ, Oct16 Pop/POR
    Sep17 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's any reason to cancel a trip to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Clorox wipes also kill influenza viruses.
    So does Lysol spray, according to the label. I'm looking at a can of it as I type this.

Good points, Dulcee!
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Your quite right, this virus does seem more aggressive in otherwise healthy people then the current strains were use to dealing with. The fear with Avian flu is that it has been found to strike these age groups aggressively. While swine flu does appear to also be striking this middle age group it still isn't as aggressive. Obviously the fatalities in Mexico are concerning and while everyone should be watching their health these groups need to be extra vigilant.

Clorox wipes are a good idea. Bleach, for wiping down surfaces at home is also a highly effective way to take out any viruses that may get carried home from the workplace, school ect..
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

heres a link with info - practice standard precautions and have a wonderful vacation!!
    playdead88

boardwalk villas may 2005
    boardwalk villas may 2006
    beach club villas april 2007

wilderness lodge april 2008
    DVC member april 08
    animal kingdom villas may 09

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: