Quantcast Babies in the parks...new mom alert!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Babies in the parks...new mom alert!

So, we're expecting our first baby any day now and we're also tossing around the idea of a Disney trip in about ten months from now. We would have grandparents, cousins and family members along with us, but I'm not sure about taking such a small baby to the parks. I'm concerned about having to drag a diaper bag along, nursing in the parks, and just taking babies on rides in general. Any insight or advice from those who have taken infants to the parks would be super helpful! Thanks!
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We took each of our children when they were 1 month old and about 9 months old. By the time they are 10 months old it is very different - they will be much more alert, will be able to enjoy the rides a bit, and won't be strictly breastfeeding at that time. You'll probably be able to feed the baby some solid food and breastfeed occasionally in the park. If you're not comfortable breastfeeding in public they have fabulous facilities at each of the Disney parks for nursing mothers. They have rooms for nursing in the Child Care Center and diaper changing areas. They also sell some diapers, food and medicine there. As far as the diaper bag - you will be used to toting it around by then. You'll have to carry it everywhere for the next 2-3 years anyway. Get one you can attach to the stroller. I think that going with your family that will help and watch the baby while you and your husband go on rides will be wonderful. Take advantage of the parent swap which gives you a fast pass for the people that are waiting and watching the baby (up to 3 people I believe). Disney is probably the most baby-friendly vacation you can take - enjoy it. We always joke that it is the one place you can go and have dinner in a nice restaurant and know that some other kid will be screaming louder than yours - takes the pressure off.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is fun for everyone. I think you will have a great time, and IMHO it's not the baby you have to worry about, it's not worrying about keeping up with everyone else. I think going w/ a group can be difficult if you don't set ground rules before going. You should do things on the baby's schedule...and if the baby is having an off day than that's a great excuse for the 3 of you to relax back at the hotel.
    I think having a baby there would be great as it might force you to have a more relaxing laid back kind of trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

We had no problems taking our DS at 5 weeks old. Know where the diper changing areas are, they are really nice. DW would just sit on a bench and feed him using a hooter hider. He got to go on many rides with us and the ones he couldn't we did the child swap, wich really worked out good along with the fast pass.
    Justin ├o┤﴾o﴿├o┤

Apr 83 - Offsite
    Aug 83 - FW
    Aug 85 - FW
    Aug 87 - FW
    Sep 01 - All Star(Honeymoon)
    Jun 05 - FW
    Dec 07 - FW
    Mar 08 - FW
    Aug 08 - Disneyland (Offsite)
    Dec 09 - FW
    Feb 10 - Offsite-Business Trip
    Sep 10 - All Star
    Next Trip?

Post Thanks / Like

I have 4 kids and 3 of them have been to Disney early on. The 4th is going right after his first b-day. Another thing is that you can ship or have delivered all your needs. This way you don't have to pack the diapers and wipes and whatever you may need. This saves on space in your suitcase. Also, With the baby being so young I would bring your own stroller or buy a lightweight stoller just for the trip. The ones at Disney are hard plastic and may not be comfortable. I just purchased a clip that hooks onto your stroller for bags. I purchased it at Babies r us and it helps.
    Good luck and congrats.
    Janet

Aug 2005 CBR
    Aug 2007 POR
    Aug 2009 AKL 2 bedroom Villas Can't wait to wake up with the animals!!!
    Aug 2010 AkL 2 Bedroom Villas

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm going to be echoing other responses but we brought our youngest when he was 10 months (and his "big" brother was 20 months at the time) and we had no problems, whatsoever. Like others have said.....

1)I would bring your own stroller - much more comfortable for a baby.
    2)Know where the childcare stations are and don't be afraid to use them. They were my favorite places to nurse.
    3)I had easy going kids so they would nap anywhere but know your limitations and your child's. Take time out in the middle of the day, skip late evening activities if you need to. Follow your child's cues. This trip will probably have a slower pace than you're used to - smell the roses and enjoy.

You are about to experience WDW is a whole new way! Enjoy every stage of it. Believe it or not, there will be new things to savor and new things to see now that you have a child in tow. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you ALL!

Post Thanks / Like

Our family has been going since the GKs were as young as 6 months old. We had no major problems. We have used our own strollers and the rental ones and find the rental ones are more convenient except maybe for the smallest ones. One DGS was breast fed and DD just used the Child Care Centers which are air conditioned and has everything you want including a room for older children to watch TV while taking care of baby. She also could find a quiet bench or seat out of the normal traffic pattern to feed him when needed. She just took a blanket or cover with her. Just watch the heat and don't let them get overheated. We have always gone with them and I give Mom a break to ride the rides and stay with the ones too small to ride so you having family along will help with that. Go and have a great time!
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

i'm not sure if someone has already said this, and if you did sorry i missed it, but there are baby swap passes for rides. sounds like you'll have enough people to swap out so everyone can enjoy any ride.
    once there was a princess who never let her imagination stop her from dreaming up scenes and stories as she walked around the park.
    so if you ever see someone talking to herself, that would be me.

Celestria
    p.s. i may be a disney fan, but i can't spell.

Post Thanks / Like

We took DS for his 1st b-day and it was a perfect trip. We brought our own stroller and we have a diaper bag that was made to hang on the stroller. It was nice to have everything within reach. The baby centers are fabulous and I did use those for occasional nursing. One thing that I thought was super handy was the changing tables in the men's rooms. Sometimes there would be a line for the changing table in the ladies' room, but never in the men's. We also took afternoon breaks and it was nice to have that quiet time away from the parks. DS loved every ride we took him on.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, all of these responses are so much help...thanks so much! Everybody has made me feel more confident that I can handle a baby and a Disney trip, so I think we'll do it Thanks again!
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

Post Thanks / Like

No disrespect to those who bring infants to WDW, but I can't understand the reasoning behind this. (Yes, I have a child, and no, I did not take her to WDW till she was 5.) Of course, the child will have no memory of the visit. And after all, isn't all the hustle and bustle that is WDW be a little much for one so small?
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Infants

Quote Originally Posted by kemps@wdw View Post
    No disrespect to those who bring infants to WDW, but I can't understand the reasoning behind this. (Yes, I have a child, and no, I did not take her to WDW till she was 5.) Of course, the child will have no memory of the visit. And after all, isn't all the hustle and bustle that is WDW be a little much for one so small?
    My view exactly. Dragging an infant arount a theme park is about the parent wanting to be there and wanting the baby to be close at hand.

I don't think a child has to be old enough to remember the trip to enjoy a trip but often I read "...baby care center... lots of breaks... back to the room. Then I go to the MK and see 96 degrees and 4pm or midnight and babies being drug through their umteenth hour of a stroller or a sling while the parent just can't stop 'til Splash Mountain. Again.

As long as priorities are straight all (well, many) things are possible. I'll soon take my toddler grandchild to WDW but I'll pay close attention to when it's time to ride Dumbo and when it's time to take him back to the resort and let him sit in the grass and play with his toes.

Post Thanks / Like

While people have opinions I feel Disney is great for any age. It is families together, enjoying life. It is about happiness of all not how old or how young you are. With that being said take advantage of Baby Care Stations they have a nursing room at the parks and you can even warm baby food there. I agree also that shipping items down prior to your visit in the with baby snacks, diapers, wipes, food, toys and other necessities is great. But if you drive down you can take those with you too. Use your own stroller. Take things slow, and breaks during the day. With the big family you go at your own pace and meet up with them here and there. It can be more stressfull with the big family than having the baby with you. We have been in lines and someone needed a change so we get out of line, we have had it all but we know we will be back. Take the little one to WDW and you will not forget it! Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMartellFamily View Post
    While people have opinions I feel Disney is great for any age. It is families together, enjoying life. It is about happiness of all not how old or how young you are. Take the little one to WDW and you will not forget it! Enjoy!
    Thank you! These are my thoughts exactly. Of course the baby won't remember this trip, no one would ever think that. Disney is about families, and not a single member of the 12 person group going thinks I should miss out on our yearly family vacation because I have a baby. This will be an entirely different vacation than I have ever had at Disney and in all honesty I'm not going with expectations of hitting all (or any really) of my usual favorite rides, but I am expecting to spend time with my family in our favorite place on earth. We always go back to the hotel mid-day anyway, and maybe I'll spend more time there than the other family members, but oh well. I might feel differently about it if it were August and 95 degrees, but I feel okay about taking a baby out during the day in March weather. You never know when time with one of your loved ones will be cut short, so I don't intend to miss this family vacation with people I love so much!
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you really think it is fair to have to give up a family vacation just because you have a baby? This is a family place and WDW makes sure that everyone of every age is taken care of. I would never be separated
    from any of my children just because we were going on vacation and one of them was a baby. We were careful enough to heed the baby's limits and yes, you might not get to do everything, but you move at your own pace and enjoy what you can. We have never regretted taking our babies with us to Disney and you will be surprised what they remember at an early age. My grandchildren still talk about things they saw at a very early age. You can't do everything commando style with a baby but then again I can't do everything commando style without the children either at my age and after doing that one year, decided to never do it again. It is much more enjoyable to take your time and just do what you can do and relax.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, DW and I have to back you up in that one. Say what you will about child memory retention and all, it is over kill for any baby. The reasoning is simple; WE want to go to WDW, WE have a baby. SO what. Seems simple but I don't think people often think abotu what is actually best for the baby versus what is best for themselves. Shoudl you put your vacaton on hold because you had another child, personally, I thkn yes you should. It is our choice to have children and if we do we have to make sacrifices. Wait until the child can actually enjoy themselves. Nothing troubles me more than watchign people bring little kids on the Haunted mansion, etc and heariong the kid scream because the noises are too loud or it's dark, or whatever. OK, let the flaming begin...

D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreeing with my husband on this one...on our last trip, we tried to have an enjoyable lunch at 50's Prime Time, but a woman with an infant so small it must have just popped out was at the table next to ours. The baby screamed and cried through our entire meal. I'm sure the baby wasn't enjoying the parks, and thanks to his mother, we didn't enjoy that part of our day either.

If you are going to the World with lots of family members, you have built-in babysitters! Go to the parks and enjoy yourselves - spend time fun, alone time with your husband, and enjoy the peace of your room with your new baby. There are plenty of things to do outside the parks at WDW that won't bring undue stress on your baby or you (walks, etc).

As for strollers, a baby that young should be "worn" if you do plan to take him/her to the parks. Breastfeeding is much easier, and the baby doesn't feel so disconnected from you or your husband.
    '90 - High School Trip
    '05 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06 - Wilderness Lodge (Honeymoon!)
    '08 - VWL and BCV

Next Up:
    '09 - Wilderness Lodge Villas

Post Thanks / Like

We took my nephew at 7 weeks. Did he cry? Yep. Would he have cried if he was still at home? Yep. Will he remember it? Nope. Will it be his only trip to Disney? I certainly hope not! Did we bring him for his enjoyment? Nope. Should we not have gone because my sister had him? Nope. Babies are portable. They are meant to be taken where mommy goes, whether it's to the mall, the beach or to visit family. If the child cries, take it out of the restaurant etc and calm it down. I just took my nephew into the bathroom and calmed him down. It took about 2 minutes!

Definitely bring the child's own stroller though. They'll be more comfortable, just as if they were sleeping in their own bed. And you'll have the stroller to get them to and from the parks and back to the hotel room etc.

They also have changing areas in all the parks where the parent can feed and change and rock the baby. It's cool and quiet and a nice place for the parent and child to catch some quiet time if it's needed.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the sister payroll princess was talking about. Yep i brought my new born to the park, I know he will not remember it. My children go everywhere with me. That way they can experience new sounds and sights so they aren't afraid of them later. I see some children that are 6 and up in restaurants that act as if they've never been allowed in public before. Mine do not act that way because they go everywhere. My feeling is this is your child only you can judge what is best for them. Some people may disagree and that's fine however it isn't up to them in the end. Your baby will not remember the trip but will probably get a kick out of the pretty lights and just being able to spend time with mommy and daddy. ENJOY!
    Coreen

Post Thanks / Like

DNephew went for his first birthday. And then for his 2nd and now we are planning for his third. Honestly my father shows him pictures of himself through slide shows from the past 2 years. He knows what Disney World is and wanted to go on my parents trip (2 weeks ago) and our trip (last week). Did he ever cry and get cranky - YES. Did we get embarrassed b/c my sister & her husband couldn't handle him - YES. But this is the fun part of going as a family.

DH and I are going through some procedures and are hoping that our next trip I will be prego. The next family trip in 2010 would probably make our child 6 or so months old. My parents are looking forward to that trip.

Don't worry - I will prepare you all when we head to WDW with a 6+ month old.

#35 - SSR 05/16
    34 trips
    2015 SSR
    2014 GFV & CBR/ToT 10mi!
    2013 DWL & POFQ
    2012 Bdwlk & SSR
    2010, 2011 OKW
    2009 BLT & SSR
    2008 SSR & AKV
    2007 SSR 2x
    2006 SSR 2x
    '05 DVC!SSR/DCL