Quantcast Flu Poll and Questions...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Will you change you plans?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way! Nothing is stopping me from WDW!

36 65.45%
  • Concerned, but will becareful when at WDW!

18 32.73%
  • May cancel if things get worse in the next few weeks.

1 1.82%
  • Canceling trip and waiting for this to blow over.

0 0%
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Will you change your plans??

I'm wondering what everyone's plans are for the next few weeks and months pertaining to the "Swine Flu" and their reservations at WDW. I realize that this issue may have been hyped up by the media, but there are still concerns.
    ~~ Lisa ~~
    You're of worth! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Trips to WDW: 6
    Trips to Disneyland: 8 plus.

John 3:16 is a place to start.....

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I can attest that while we were there May 2-9 the "swine flu" seemed to be the last thing on anyone's mind. I've always seen the CM's being careful about handwashing, so nothing new there, but I didn't see anyone else going out of their way to wash hands or wear masks or anything. I think once I saw someone with hand sanitizer.

We are always conscious of germs at WDW so we followed normal procedure - a lot of hand washing and moving away from sick/coughing people. Come to think of it, I heard a lot less sickness this time around, but that may have been because we usually go in the late fall or winter when it is more common.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing that there is no proven vaccine for this outbreak and yet the number of fatalities is so low, I would think that any hysteria is unfounded.

Just take normal flu season precautions - wash hands thoroughly, do not cough or sneeze into your hands - but rather into a tissue or handkerchief, and if you have symptoms stay away from others to keep from spreading the virus around.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking normal flu season precautions is all I'm going to do when I go June 7-14.
    Walt Disney World: The only place that I can just forget about everything and just have fun!!!

Upcoming Visits:
    December 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Disney last week also, same as Strmchsr, and also did not notice anyone being overly concerned about "swine flu" or taking many extra precautions. My family did use more hand sanitizer on this trip than ever before. We carried a small amount of lysol wipes to counter service restaurants and wiped down the tables and high chairs before the kids ate. I also gave our room a thorough cleaning when we checked in (although it seemed very clean to begin with). I actually sprayed so much Lysol when I cleaned the bathroom, I gave my husband a migraine from the fumes.

I admit that I was pretty concerned before we went, but once we were there and everyone else seemed so relaxed, I calmed down (a little).
    Many visits from 1973 to 1998 - Off site
    9/2000: Polynesian (Honeymoon)
    10/2001: POR (Mansions)
    10/2003: POR (Mansions)
    11/2004: Polynesian
    8/2008: POR (Alligator Bayou) *Twin sons 1st visit*
    5/2009: Wilderness Lodge
    11/2009: POFQ
    11/2010: POFQ
    9/11: Ft. Wilderness Cabins

Post Thanks / Like

We were there last week and as Strmchsr said It did not seem to be a major concern for everyone. I did notice in the shops that there was plenty of Germex Hand Sanitizer available. They at it available at alot of the checkout counters.

I did see a two young ladies on our flight that did have masks on. I also noticed in the airport at JFK that some of the cleaning staff had masks on.

Other than that, everything seemed normal.
    Dec 2010 AKL
    May 2009 POFQ
    Oct 2008 Pop
    X-Mas 2007-POFQ
    May 2006 Pop
    June 2005 ASMu
    May 2002-Off Site
    Dec. 1999-Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

More people in the USA die from alligator attacks annually than have died from swine flu in the USA.

30,000 - 50,000 in the USA die every year from the regular flu, and this is WITH available vaccine. I don't think even one single American died from swine flu.

I understand you question, but my answer is to try to convince you to not even think about swine flu. If you are still reacting to past media hype, you are going on outdated information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    More people in the USA die from alligator attacks annually than have died from swine flu in the USA.

30,000 - 50,000 in the USA die every year from the regular flu, and this is WITH available vaccine. I don't think even one single American died from swine flu.

I understand you question, but my answer is to try to convince you to not even think about swine flu. If you are still reacting to past media hype, you are going on outdated information.
    Actually, at least one American has died from this disease but he had other health issues which exacerbated the problem.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone who has voted and posted! Keep them coming!

I'm 15 days away from my WDW vacation! I plan on washing my hands A LOT and taking sanitizer with me.

Typo Queen has done it again...
    The Poll:
    1)Will you change your plans? Instead of:Will you change you plans.
    2)Concerned, but will be careful when at WDW. Instead of: Concerned, but will becareful when at WDW! ( Things like that bother me, sorry!)
    Last edited by PiratesCove; 05-15-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typos
    ~~ Lisa ~~
    You're of worth! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Trips to WDW: 6
    Trips to Disneyland: 8 plus.

John 3:16 is a place to start.....

Post Thanks / Like

I suffer from severe health anxiety, and, for whatever reasons, the swine flu has been of no concern for me.

We leave in 7 days and I couldn't be more excited for the trip! We'll be washing hands and using sanitizer, but cancelling was never an option for us.
    2011 - Planning phase!
    2009 - DD's First Trip - PO Riverside
    2003 - PO Riverside
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge (honeymoon)
    1998 - Polynesian
    1995 - Off-Site
    1991 - Polynesian
    1989 - Polynesian
    1987 - Ft. Wilderness Campground

Post Thanks / Like

I am not concerned either. I will be leaving Saturday and will bring hand sanitizer with me. I always do anyway due to the water being rough on my hands.
    Nothing is going to keep me from my WDW vacation. My boss did make me change the dates but gave me extra time off with pay for the trouble.
    BRENDA

Been to the land of happiness more times than I can count and still going.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We are taking our 11 1/2 mth old there tomorrow morning!! So excited!! but, no...we never thought of cancelling either. If it wasn't for my lil man, it wouldn't concern me at all, but we are taking precautions because of him..mostly hand sanitizer and sanitized wipes (for dining tables and stuff). Can't wait!!
    11/97~Off
    12/01~ASMo
    1/04~Pop
    2/05~Pop
    9/05~POR
    2/06~ASMu
    9/06~POR
    1/07~Pop
    9/07~CS
    9/08~RP
    5/09~WBC
    12/09~POR