Quantcast Rental car prices

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rental car prices

We're going in October and are looking for our rental car....I do have one booked already thru National Emerald Aisle, but I feel it is still pretty pricey.

When I look around it seems that ALL the places have really high prices for this time period (Oct 14-20) -- but I can't seem to figure out what the heck is going on during our time period! We're going after a holiday, so it's not that.....and I know the demand vs. supply thing, but I cannot imagine that there is that much demand in October! An economy car is even over $320 for a week!!!!

Anyone have any ideas as to why the prices are so high and also any ideas on how to get one less expensively!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't usually rent a car while I'm in WDW but I did read this gem of advice once:

Keep your reservation but keep checking prices OFTEN. If you find a cheaper price offered from the company you already have reservations from, maybe they'd update your ressie to the cheaper price or maybe you'd have to cancel and rebook (make sure there aren't cancellation fees). If you find a cheaper price with a competitor, maybe you can get a price match from your current company but, if not, cancel and rebook with the cheaper company.

I'm sure that you'll be able to find a better price over the upcoming months - just keep your eyes open. The rental companies are just hoping to cash in on early planners like you but hope that you're also a "once and done" /reservations made kind of person.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!!

Post Thanks / Like

You're not missing anything. Prices are way-high for fall rental right now. My reservation for the same week in late September is about 150% more than what I paid last year. And prices are about 33% higher now than when I booked, so I have a relatively good deal.

There's lots of explanations, like much smaller inventory at the rental agencies. But all of them are pretty useless to me since we can't control them or go elsewhere for a better deal. The best rates I've found were using Costco discounts on Alamo.

Anyway, last august was when I saw the prices for fall rentals drop significantly. People usually come on the boards when they see the prices drop. Keep checking and if you see a deal please post here.
    80s: Poly X 2, LBR X 3;
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    DL - Grand Californian 3/06
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10
    BLT @ the CR, 9/09, 12/10 - Daddy-Daughter Trip

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

That's always a very busy time to rent. It's a large conference month, plus Food & Wine. There isn't a lot of inventory. I remember a few years ago paying close to $800 for a minivan for a week, well over $250 more than the same vehicle for the summer.

Make the best rezzie you can now, and then start checking 2 weeks prior to your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

We ran into this same thing for our June stay. What cost us $24 per day two years ago during the same time frame is now costing us over $30 per day this year (mid size National Emerald Aisle through my work travel site). In fact, for the 10 people I reserve travel for at work, it's the same deal. I've been told that rental companies have substantially reduced their inventory and are seriously catering more toward the business traveler who must have a vehicle at their destination. They get around the higher rates by offering volume discounts to the larger companies who have corporate rate structures. Note that my family noticed the higher rates last July - so they've been "up there" for awhile.

It's still SO VERY worth it for us to get a car, though!

UPDATE:

Well, I need to thank JC Valenti above - just went to check on prices, and I upgraded to a full-size from an intermediate and saved $120! THIS IS AWESOME - breaks down to $22.33 per day with a coupon I received on-line! Don't give up, Mudpuppysmom!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I hope its ok to post this. I just got a mid-size for 10/16-10/24 for $217.00 from priceline.com hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I realized I was two weeks out on Tuesday and double checked car rentals. They dropped dramatically for my period (6/15 through 6/26). When I originally booked a few months back, my final rental fee for a Ful Size for 10 days (with child seat) was $457. With little effort on Tuesday, I was able to secure another rental for an out the door total of $260 ... adding an extra day in there.

So bottom line - since it costs nothing to reserve, reserve early and check back often. Just remember if you get a better price, cancel your earlier reservations ... the more inventory they show as the dates get closer, the more the price drops.

Post Thanks / Like

if you are staying onsite then my advice is to use DME and then rent a car from Enterprise on World Drive @ the Marriot.

I checked the economy rate for your dates and its only about 200 bucks and that is without using any coupons which are easily found online. They'll even pick you up from your resort.

Remember...anytime you rent at the airport, you have to pay the airport fees & taxes.
    "in darkness there is power"

Post Thanks / Like

We leave on Thursday, 6/11, and I had originally reserved through Alamo 3 months ago. I got a rate of $306 for a mid-size. I checked back today, $212. That's a $94 savings!!

September 2002 - Coronado Springs
    June 9-17, 2005 - All-Star Movies
    June 11-18, 2009 - Pop Century
    May 19-22, 2011 - POR
    May 22-26, 2011 - Disney Dream - our first Disney cruise
    June 11-18, 2015 - POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Jetson View Post
    I hope its ok to post this. I just got a mid-size for 10/16-10/24 for $217.00 from priceline.com hope this helps.
    I'm a big fan of Priceline for rental cars at many airports, but not in Orlando. You might get stuck with one of the off-site/shuttle agencies.
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10

Disney-Like: Atlantis - Paradise Island 3/01, 3/02, 9/03, 9/05, 3/07, 4/08, 3/09, 4/10, and 3/11

Post Thanks / Like

I used priceline but we are driving from Myrtle Beach not getting the car in Orlando I hope it works out.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rental Car Prices

We are seeing the same issues. Prices for a full size car are about double of what we paid last year, for the same time of the year. I do check often, as less than a week before we left last year, the price dropped about $100.00. Keep checking ALL of the agencies. I do use an Entertainment book coupon / discount too, which does help a little. A little more than 60 days till we leave !!

Post Thanks / Like

We just booked what I think is a pretty good deal. We booked with Dollar Rent A Car through BJ's Wholesale Club's website. Got a Full size 2 week rental (10/26-11/8) for $512 total taxes and everything. Totally beat the car I had already reserved with Budget through rci.com @ $755. I am going to continue to check prices often but I think this is a good price considering what I have been seeing for quotes.

Post Thanks / Like

We always rent from Alamo and they always seem to drop their rates a couple of weeks before we leave. If you have a VISA card you can get good discounts from Alamo.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the national emerald club card too. We have rented from them many times and one thing that I found was that the price usually goes down as you get closer to your date. I go on line almost daily when we get about six weeks out. Last year we rented a car from them starting at around 400.00 and by the time we went it was 170.00. We are renting again for end of sept/first of oct. The rate started at 407.00 and now we have it for 369.00. We also bought an entertainment book for 15.00 and use the coupon for 1 free day. It saved us 46.00. I like National and we use them most of the time. We rented from another car rental company in orlando once and had to take a bus to the rental lot and then did the same thing when we left. It was the biggest hassle. Dragging our kids and suit cases on a bus was not fun. Good luck and just keep checking.

Post Thanks / Like

I check another website for discount codes then go to National and keep checking the codes to see which gives me the best deal. If I find a better deal, I book it and THEN cancel the old one. I keep doing this until I can't get any lower rates. PM me if you need the other website.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like rental prices are down a bit right now for mid/late September. I'm getting a 10%-20% decrease from the lowest prices I've seen in the past few months. I've re-booked my reservation.
    CBR 3/00
    YC 10/02, 9/06
    Dolphin 10/04
    Disneyland Paris 9/07
    Swan 9/08, 6/10

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your advice!

We are staying at SOG, so there is no DME for there -- I wish there was, but when you stay there that is the trade off....

We like having a car anyway -- we are not bus people....I don't like dragging the stroller and the kids on and off the bus plus waiting in line for the bus. We like to go out, get in, buckle up and go. I will say that on days we go to Epcot or MK we walk over to the Poly and catch the monorail though!

I do have a rental already for $217 for the National Emerald Aisle.....so we will get at least a mid size car for that and i do keep checking and the prices keep going up, not down! At least we are going on vacation and that is the bottom line!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Last year, we went to Disney Oct 18th to the 25th. We ended up renting a minivan through dollar for about $300. We did the same thing everyone mentioned above - made our reservation and kept checking. The minivan was originally over $500 if I remember correctly. So keep looking for codes, though sometimes the codes gave higher quotes than not using a code. By the way, when we picked up our car, Dollar was very efficient, which was great for us since we had three kids ages three and under!
    Beth

Past Trips: 83 86 88 89 95 97 00 03 04 06 08 (CBR, Dixie Landings/POR, Coronado, Contemporary)
    Next Trip: Feb 27th to March 7th 2010!

Post Thanks / Like

Sign up for Budget Fastbreak and then check their rates. I had National booked for our Nov. trip(4 days)for $161. I changed it to Budget yesterday when I got a rate of $106. Keep checking every week. Rates seem to change a lot.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: