Quantcast A different view on those magical upgrades... - Page 6

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blissventure View Post
    In general, if someone truly wants an upgrade, (that they're actually willing to pay for), they'd probably haven taken care of it before they left home. It's a quick thing to pick up the phone.
    Actually, a number of people do ask about upgrades at check-in. Some of the reasons have been covered here and they include the fact that it is standard operating procedure at many other hotels (and even at Disney's own cruise line), discounts have been offered in the past by Disney and given to those who did ask at check-in (specifically the few years following 9/11 and surprisingly at the WL, where for about $25 a night, you could upgrade to their club level at check-in) and finally, some guests find themselves with a little more money to spend when the trip actually arrives.

When you consider those things, the question being asked at check-in is not all that out of the ordinary. Whether you're asking what the rate is within the initial question or as a followup, doesn't really matter all that much to me .
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does anyone care what someone else does? Your suppose to be having fun, your at Disney, why do you care if somone else ask for an upgrade, why do you care if someone spent less money than you and still gets the same size piece of cake?
    What do you think happens when you purchase your tickets to fly on a certain flight? I bet not one person spends the same amount for the same size seat.

Disney spreads a little magic, is that so bad?
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Default more musings

This has been an interesting thread to read and I think no one has really intended to disrespect anyone else's feelings. I have been to WDW several times now and have always paid for the deluxe resort, but never the concierge level and usually not for the preferred views. I have never been upgraded and rarely even get towel animals etc. but have always felt very lucky to be able to be at WDW at a deluxe resort. I loved the little touches of "magic" when my kids are given stickers, or a cast member has taken extra time to talk to my son or once after my son fell and hit his head while in line for a ride a CM gave us a FP to ride it another time. To me nearly everything about Disney is already magical. On our recent trip to AKL I reserved, paid for and recieved a pool view (actually a view of trees and shrubs which was fine.) While in line I wondered if they would upgrade me to Savannah view and found myself hoping they would give the upgrade to some one else who would truly be thrilled with that. Not that we wouldn't have enjoyed it, but I already felt so happy I was thinking there might be some who would enjoy it even more. Then I found myself hoping it would go to someone at a value, rather than someone who could already afford AKL. Then my imagination wandered to someone staying off property...and then I was wishing I could send someone who only dreamed of going to WDW. I know this sounds goofy, but I spent a while in line imagining giving something I didn't even have to someone I didn't know. Of course, it all came to nothing and I find myself thinking that if I truly believe in pixie dust, perhaps I ought to find some way to make it happen. I could donate to a local charity (the Make a Wish Foundation?) or perform that random act of kindness while in the parks. My actions often fall short of my ideals and this thread has made me think about that. I think it is wonderful to receive an upgrade, and don't resent anyone or mean to suggest I wouldn't enjoy one myself, but wouldn't it be great if we all used this random practice as an inspiration and example rather than prize to be grabbed?
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Default A different view on those magical upgrades

I think it is great that people get free upgrades, I am just disappointed that I have never been one of them and we have been to WDW 20 times! A free upgrade sure would be nice! I just don't feel comfortable in asking for them.

But I am not mad at others for getting them - lucky for them; I would just like to get one some time!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's great when people get upgrades, whether asked for or not. We have been 6 times and received two small upgrades. One to a river view at French Quarter on our honeymoon and once to pool view at AKL. We would have been happy with our standard view since that is what we paid for but it was a nice suprise. On another note, we pay for what we will be happy with. Why pay for less and hope for an upgrade and not get it. We have had 6 wonderful trips and we are always happy to be in WDW, upgrade or not. Congrats to all those that got the recent big upgrade!!!! I think a little more magic in the world could never be a bad thing.....
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2004 Caribbean Beach
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    August 2006 CBR Trip with the In-laws
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    November 2013 POFQ Family Reunion
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    My actions often fall short of my ideals and this thread has made me think about that. I think it is wonderful to receive an upgrade, and don't resent anyone or mean to suggest I wouldn't enjoy one myself, but wouldn't it be great if we all used this random practice as an inspiration and example rather than prize to be grabbed?
    great thot
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I have never once asked for an upgrade, it's just not my style to ask. That being said, I was upgraded on each of my last 4 trips.

The first one was the best of all. We had just bought our dream home, but well before we even thought about buying it, we had planned a dream vacation at the Beach Club. We went during August, during the free dining promo. When we checked in I was told that our room wasn't ready. I told them we would be by the pool and I would just walk over in an hour or so to see if the room was ready. The CM told me that when I came back to check that I should go over to the concierge desk on the other side of the doors to check on the room. I didn't think anything of it.

Well, when I went back to check an hour later, the CM told me that the room was ready and that when I got onto the elevator that I would need to slide my card into the slot before pressing the 5th floor button. I instantly turned around, smiled at my wife and said, "We were upgraded to conceirge!!!" My very next move, after thanking that CM, was to go over to the check in desk and thank the original CM who I checked in with upon my arrival. She smiled sweetly and said, "Mr. _______ it's the least we could do for such a beautful family!"

So people can be as sour and resentful as they like to folks who recieve complimentary upgrades but for me, that one magical gesture made us feel like the most special people in the world. That my friends, is what it is all about!!

Jay

P.S. For those of you wondering, my other 3 upgrades were when I was down for work conferences at the YC (twice) and the GF (once). I was upgraded to a waterview at the Yacht Club (both times with rooms in the exact same section, 5 rooms apart. 3127 the first time and 3137 the second) overlooking the pier and the Boardwalk. And I was upgraded to a lagoon view at the GF, in the same building, and almost an identical view as where I spent my honeymoon back in 1991.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by javamama View Post
    Jen I completely agree with you, I don't ask for an upgrade as you can see we book what we need and want. I'm not going to be tacky and ask some CM for an upgrade, and be at their mercy my luck they'd give me the worst room in the resort.
    What I think Disney should do is set limits on the upgrades they grant....views w/in the resorts can be one type, don't upgrade from a value to a deluxe in the club level that's insulting to a guest paying 6k for a stay over someone paying 2k for the same amout of days. Upgrade from Values to Moderates, and then Moderates to Deluxe, then Deluxe to Club Level. Give those in Club level the suites since they are paying more for the rooms in the first place--it makes the most sense and it's fair at least in my head. Everyone this way is upgraded some how, as for views in hotels upgrade within the same hotel or same hotel type.
    We booked and stayed in a savannah view room at Animal Kingdom Lodge in 2007, and paid close to 6K for our stay. I can't fathom feeling insulted if another family were granted an upgrade from a value resort to the same level of room I had paid for. I would never begrudge them that magical experience. Life isn't fair. Some people experience a slice of magic because they are at the right place at the right time, some because they have a benefactor that makes their trip possible. I'm happy for people in either situation!
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I've never received an upgrade, but I've never asked for one either. I read about them on Intercot, but when I'm at WDW I don't even think about getting or not getting one. My attention is focused on enjoying WDW.

The same thing applied to the Dream Squad during my 2007 and 2008 trips. Before I left, I thought that it might be nice to get something. But it wasn't until I was back on Intercot after my trip that I realized that I didn't see the Dream Squad at all. When I realized that, I just thought, "Oh, well." But I wasn't dissapointed in not getting anything. The same goes for hotel upgrades. I'm just happy to be there.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never asked for an upgrade...just not my style. I figure if it happens, it happens. I think it's wonderful when people get an unexpected upgrade.

We got upgraded for free on DCL in September 2001, just 10 days after 9/11. We had booked a 1 bedroom suite (2 couples), and got upgraded to the 2 bedroom suite. Very nice, and unexpected.

We also got an upgrade to concierge from garden view at the Grand Flo last October. We were surprised at check-in with this wonderful upgrade, and enjoyed 13 days in Sugar Loaf.

Other than that, during 15 or so other WDW vacations, we had no upgrades, and didn't care. We got what we paid for, and didn't ever expect more.
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: