Quantcast Pigeon Forge, Tn

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pigeon Forge, Tn

Since we can't afford a trip to the World next year, we've decided to do a short trip to Pigeon Forge for my 15 year old son's spring break in March. I found out Dollywood is closed that week...Does anybody have other suggestions? We were thinking about doing the Smoky Mountain Park and Cades Cove one day, but were thinking about other things my son would enjoy for the other two days. Has anyone done the aquarium in Gatlinburg...? What about good restaurants in Pigeon Forge, particularly BBQ and steaks? Thanks for the help.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We were there this July. They have a indoor waterpark resort complex that is awesome. Wilderness at the Smokies. The rooms are pricey but if you stay at the hotel connecting to the event center it is a little less expensive. The water parks are included with room rates. The water parks are only availible for resort guest only. They have a shuttle bus that constantly runs between the two resorts and indoor water park. They are literally just across a 2 lane highway. This is a very nice resort.
    My family went to the Dixie Stampede one night. It was fun and something you don't do every day. We love to eat a the Apple barn, everything has apples in it. We eat at the Old Grist Mill frequently, the catfish stands out in my mind. There are alot of chain steak places, outback, damons, etc...
    We have done the aquarimium, but the year we visited it we were on aquariuim overload. We had been to 3 and the Living Seas in about a 18 month period. If you've seen one you're good for a couple of years probably.
    We went to wonderworks this year and ours kids and my DH loved it. We stayed until they closed.
    You'll have fun
    Last edited by smallworldmom; 08-27-2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: more info
    Dec 2017, 2016, 2015 Caribbean Beach
    Dec 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2005 and Dec 2014 All Star Music
    Dec 2003 All Star Movies
    Jan 2002 All Star Music
    Feb 2000 All Star Sports
    May 1997 Port New Orleans
    May 1996 Disney Villa
    May 1987 Off Site 1st Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    We love to go to Pigeon Forge. We have children ages 3 & 6 and the aquarium there has been a big hit for our family. For me, I enjoyed the Ripley Aquarium better than the Tennessee Aquarium or GA Aquarium.

There's lots of stuff to do there. I've been wanting to try the Wilderness at the Smokies that the last poster mentioned. It sounds like a blast!

Good luck planning your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

We took our kids (11, 8, 6, 4) to Forbidden Caverns last time we were in Pigeon Forge. It's about an hour tour, but it's really cool.
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Tuckeleechee Caverns are also wonderful. They are just a bit past the Cade's Cove area from what I remember. Very fun! The only place I remember eating was a mexican place on the main strip, No Way Jose's, I think. It was very good. Have a great time!
    Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
    At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
    When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
    And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Micki

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in to steak - drive over to Gatlinburg - 5 miles away - and visit The Peddler Steakhouse. Right on the river. They bring the steak out and cut it to your specification at your table and then take it away to cook it. We always visit when we go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and we used to go there a lot. They also have a sister restaurant right on the Parkway called the Park Grille. Really good seafood bisque.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions we will definitely try some of them....

Post Thanks / Like

Foe bbq I highly recommend Corky's Memphis BBq. Alamo steakhouse is good also. The best place for breakfast is the Pancake House next to the Comedy Barn and James Manor (which is where we always stay). The show at the Comedy Barn is very funny and great for kids.
    first trip 1976
    27 trips since and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

We have never been able to decide which vacation we like better....Disney or Gatlinburg. There is so much to do there. We spend lots of time in the national park....Metcalf Bottoms is a great picnic area, hiking to the waterfalls, Cades Cove, etc. Last year we went in March and crossed over to Bryson City and rode the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. The Cherokee reservation is interesting also on that side of the national park. And Deep Creek has some beautiful waterfalls that are easy to get too (also on that side of park). We never spend more than a day at Dollywood....just so commercial with so much nature to enjoy. Dixie Stampede is alot of fun. Miracle Theater is also a very good quality show. My kids also really enjoyed Wonderworks. They also enjoy horseback riding. When they get old enough we will do the ATV rides....which I have heard are a blast. Enjoy your trip.....

Post Thanks / Like

never dreamed of going there on vacation (its my hometown), but lots of folks do and my family is glad because they all work in the tourist industry.

The Ripleys Aquarium is definitely worth the time...but since its an inside thing...and given the very unpredictable weather at that time of the year (march) you might have a very raw day during your stay...so watch the weather and use the aquarium for the cold day of your trip.

I'd also remind you weatherwise...to consider the elevation/weather differential between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge....Gatlinburg gets a lot more snow than Pigeon Forge...so if its cold and rainy in the Forge you might be able to drive not to far and allow the kids to get in some serious snow....which might be a nice change of pace for someone from Mississippi. They also have a snow-tubing area roped off at Ober Gatlinburg (as well as a pretty large ice skating arena).

As for hiking ...again watching the march weather is paramount...for you can literally have light rain in pigeon forge, snow in galtinburg and full blown blizzard conditions at New found Gap (the TN/NC line)....but if the weather is good a couple of good hikes which give you some nices views are the section of the Appalachian trail that goes out to Charlies Bunion (sounds ugly but has one of the most spectacular views in the park)...or out to Andrews Bald (a bald is a naturally occuring high mountain field)...the Chimneys (if you are in good shape) or to simply walk up to the tower at clingmans dome.

Hope you have a great trip...and if you stop in the Pigeon Forge Visitor's Center say hello to my sister Paula...for she is the true family expert on Sevier county tourism.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smallworldmom View Post
    We were there this July. They have a indoor waterpark resort complex that is awesome. Wilderness at the Smokies. The rooms are pricey but if you stay at the hotel connecting to the event center it is a little less expensive. The water parks are included with room rates. The water parks are only availible for resort guest only. They have a shuttle bus that constantly runs between the two resorts and indoor water park. They are literally just across a 2 lane highway. This is a very nice resort.
    My family went to the Dixie Stampede one night. It was fun and something you don't do every day. We love to eat a the Apple barn, everything has apples in it. We eat at the Old Grist Mill frequently, the catfish stands out in my mind. There are alot of chain steak places, outback, damons, etc...
    We have done the aquarimium, but the year we visited it we were on aquariuim overload. We had been to 3 and the Living Seas in about a 18 month period. If you've seen one you're good for a couple of years probably.
    We went to wonderworks this year and ours kids and my DH loved it. We stayed until they closed.
    You'll have fun
    We already booked rooms, so we won't be able to do the wildnerness in the Smokies...Dixie Stampede sounds like a must do though, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn J Mc View Post
    If you are in to steak - drive over to Gatlinburg - 5 miles away - and visit The Peddler Steakhouse. Right on the river. They bring the steak out and cut it to your specification at your table and then take it away to cook it. We always visit when we go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and we used to go there a lot. They also have a sister restaurant right on the Parkway called the Park Grille. Really good seafood bisque.
    We ate at the Peddler when we stayed in Gatlinburg when my son was 18 months old...he is now 15...we couldn't remember the name of the restaurant, so thanks for reminding me....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squijee View Post
    Foe bbq I highly recommend Corky's Memphis BBq. Alamo steakhouse is good also. The best place for breakfast is the Pancake House next to the Comedy Barn and James Manor (which is where we always stay). The show at the Comedy Barn is very funny and great for kids.
    The comedy barn sounds interesting...I was wondering about the Alamo because it is on every site for Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. thanks a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bertmmur View Post
    We have never been able to decide which vacation we like better....Disney or Gatlinburg. There is so much to do there. We spend lots of time in the national park....Metcalf Bottoms is a great picnic area, hiking to the waterfalls, Cades Cove, etc. Last year we went in March and crossed over to Bryson City and rode the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. The Cherokee reservation is interesting also on that side of the national park. And Deep Creek has some beautiful waterfalls that are easy to get too (also on that side of park). We never spend more than a day at Dollywood....just so commercial with so much nature to enjoy. Dixie Stampede is alot of fun. Miracle Theater is also a very good quality show. My kids also really enjoyed Wonderworks. They also enjoy horseback riding. When they get old enough we will do the ATV rides....which I have heard are a blast. Enjoy your trip.....

Those are great ideas, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    never dreamed of going there on vacation (its my hometown), but lots of folks do and my family is glad because they all work in the tourist industry.

The Ripleys Aquarium is definitely worth the time...but since its an inside thing...and given the very unpredictable weather at that time of the year (march) you might have a very raw day during your stay...so watch the weather and use the aquarium for the cold day of your trip.

I'd also remind you weatherwise...to consider the elevation/weather differential between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge....Gatlinburg gets a lot more snow than Pigeon Forge...so if its cold and rainy in the Forge you might be able to drive not to far and allow the kids to get in some serious snow....which might be a nice change of pace for someone from Mississippi. They also have a snow-tubing area roped off at Ober Gatlinburg (as well as a pretty large ice skating arena).

As for hiking ...again watching the march weather is paramount...for you can literally have light rain in pigeon forge, snow in galtinburg and full blown blizzard conditions at New found Gap (the TN/NC line)....but if the weather is good a couple of good hikes which give you some nices views are the section of the Appalachian trail that goes out to Charlies Bunion (sounds ugly but has one of the most spectacular views in the park)...or out to Andrews Bald (a bald is a naturally occuring high mountain field)...the Chimneys (if you are in good shape) or to simply walk up to the tower at clingmans dome.

Hope you have a great trip...and if you stop in the Pigeon Forge Visitor's Center say hello to my sister Paula...for she is the true family expert on Sevier county tourism.
    I'll have to remember Paula A coworker of mine reminded me of the liklihood of snow and I guess that's why Dollywood is closed that time of year....Of course, my DS would be thrilled with snow and I wouldn't mind it as long as its not too heavy.....

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that Ober Gatlinburg is accessible by aerial tram (the best way to get there in fact) and, depending on the weather, some skiing may be available when you are there.

For excellent pizza (and great variety) I suggest the Smoky Mountain Brewery (locations in both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg).
    Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it - Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Don't forget that Ober Gatlinburg is accessible by aerial tram (the best way to get there in fact) and, depending on the weather, some skiing may be available when you are there.

For excellent pizza (and great variety) I suggest the Smoky Mountain Brewery (locations in both Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg).
    The brewery sounds interesting. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely want to go to Cade Cove. We usually go there during that week every year to photograph our kids with the daffodils planted by the CCC camps stationed there in the 30s. I would also recommend Roaring Fork Motor Trail off the main road through Gatlinburg. The aqaurium is great with a shark tunnel. At that point there probably won't be any snow if we have a typical winter. I would also recommend heading toward Cosby to Greenbrier part of the national park. A trip to Clingman's Dome would also be a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

We are going there as well, last week in Oct. I have 2 boys, 13 and 16. Sad to say but they're not really nature lovers, but love the touristy stuff! My neighbors just got back from there, and saw "The Miracle" show. They said it was amazing, and not to miss it. I've heard really good things about this show! I think we'll try it. They also really want to see "Magic Beyond Belief". I've heard it's really good as well. And also, The Comedy Barn show is supposed to be really funny, good wholesome humor. So we'll see. They have a special online for 49.95-it includes 2 shows of your choice. I want to take the boys to the Wax Museum in Gatlinburg, I've heard you can actually take your pics with the star figures, it's interactive, and fun. If you like to mini golf, you won't have a problem in Pigeon Forge, they are everywhere! That and go cart tracks, wow! When we went last time, my boys actually did the indoor skydiving in P.F. They had a great time, just loved it. They also did "Ripley's"- was ok, a lot of reading, and the Ripleys haunted house-my son said he was scared, but it was fun. They also have something new called "Magicquest". We went when we were in Myrtle Beach, and the boys still talk about it. They got magic wands, and went on an adventure-sort of a Harry Potter type scavenger hunt- hard to describe. They loved it though. Have fun planning, there really is a lot to do there!
    ~Lisa~

WDW trips:
    April, 1991- Honeymoon-offsite
    Nov.1992-offsite
    Nov.1995-offsite
    April 2001-offsite
    Dec. 2004-Wilderness Lodge, AS Sports
    Aug. 2007- offsite
    Mar 2008- AS Movies
    Dec. 2008- Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2010-AS Movies, CBR
    Aug. 2011- Beach Club
    Mar. 2012- AS Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We go every year at Spring Break.
    Folks have given you some great suggestions.
    I will just reinforce that the Aquarium is certainly worth a visit. The Ripley's mini golf's are the best kept up and most fun also. Buy a combo pack at the aquarium for a golf ticket if you plan to mini golf.

Corky's Barbecue is very good and Bennett's Pit Barbecue has been good too.

Adventure Quest is new and fun.
    Wonderworks is fun.
    The Old Mill area is worth a visit. Eat lunch at the Old Mill restaurant (same menu as dinner but cheaper).
    Dixie Stampede is a good show and good food.

The hikes to Grotto Falls, Laural Falls or Arch Rock are easy to do and very much worth the walk.

Go on line and request a "Vacation Planner" from mypigeonforge.com also request a "What to do in the Smokey's" (google their site) It has great info about attractions, hikes and food.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: