Quantcast disney dining plan for under 3?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default disney dining plan for under 3?

we are planning a possible Disney vacation next fall if the free dining is offered again. (and maybe even if it's not.) our son will be almost 2 and we were wondering if it we were to pay for a one day one park ticket (like the rest of would be getting) would we be able to get the free dining for him as well? we know that he would be free at the buffets but we are thinking about eating at the resort and other places that are not buffets. would it be worth it to buy the ticket (which we would use on a later trip) if this was possible or would it be cheaper to just pay for any food at the restaurants where it was necessary?
    *~*TinkerBeth*~*

Fort Wilderness
    Caribbean Beach
    Pop Century
    French Quarter
    Riverside
    too many times to count :)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can get the dining plan for anyone under 3.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

1) DDP is not available for under-3.
    2) At non-buffets, they eat off your plate.
    3) If you order anything for them, you pay for the item(s). *
    4) At buffets, they eat from the buffet.
    5) There is no way for them to figure how much of your plate was kid's.

* Some people erroneously think "Kids under 3 eat free."
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

You could always book them as if they are 3 for the reservation. You do have to buy them a park ticket as you said but then they would get the dining entitlements.

At the park you just say they are 2 since they are and they don't require a ticket. Just save the 1 day park ticket for the future.

Don't ask me how I know this but it can be done.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think you'd probably come out ahead by just paying for any of their food out of pocket. When my kids were that age they could easily eat out of my and DH's plate, both at table service and counter service, and there'd be plenty of food for all of us without having to order the kid an additional meal. Plus they do eat free at any buffets or family style dinners at that age.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Kid's meals are generally around $10 (for dinner, unless it's a 2 TS credit meal). Unless you think you'll spend more than $65 on his meals during your trip, you'd be better off paying out of pocket.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

We took our DS last year during free dining when he was 2 (turned 3 during the trip), along with his older sister. He's very tall for his age and is a very healthy eater and we had more than enough on our plates to feed him as well at each meal.

I would definitely forego the ticket and just pay out of pocket if necessary. That $65 a one day child's ticket cost will easily buy 7-10 CS meals or even 3-4 TS meals for kids.
    I'm no fool, no siree, I'm going to live to be 103. I play safe for you and me, cause I'm no fool."

POP - 09/07
    POP - 09/08
    SSR - 09/09

Next Trip
    Breaking the pattern this year and doing AllStar Movies Dec 11-18, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Right but the ticket has some value plus you get all the extra snacks that anyone can use. It's not like you have wasted the money as some have assumed you have just prepurchased the ticket for a future trip.

Think about it if you go for 7 days, that's 7 snacks at $4 so $28 right there, plus as I said the ticket doesn't expire and can be upgraded at some time in the future when you actually need it.

Also if the Counter Service isn't enough you can always split the extra meals and with the Table Service if you want to order them their own meal you can.

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My kids ended up splitting alot my ds is 5, and a picky eater at times. My dd was 2, they split lots of stuff, and then we would add on also(soups, fries, salads, etc..) they'd split an adult entree at times.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potzie View Post
    Right but the ticket has some value plus you get all the extra snacks that anyone can use. It's not like you have wasted the money as some have assumed you have just prepurchased the ticket for a future trip.

Think about it if you go for 7 days, that's 7 snacks at $4 so $28 right there, plus as I said the ticket doesn't expire and can be upgraded at some time in the future when you actually need it.

Also if the Counter Service isn't enough you can always split the extra meals and with the Table Service if you want to order them their own meal you can.
    The value of the ticket will depend on how you travel. In the future if the family books any packages the child will have to be on the same package as everyone else, meaning that with the left over one day ticket he'll have an extra day in the parks since with the package he'll have the same amount of days as the parents. I am not sure if you can upgrade a single day ticket to a multiday ticket when that multiday ticket is part of a package. So when will the child use the left over ticket? He can't go into the parks by himself. Of course if the family plans to return later and not purchase a package and only need one day tickets then the ticket will be great to have, but I am not sure how often that is the case. I know for my family that ticket wouldn't come in handy in the future at all.

Plus in my past experience we've never been able to use up all our snack credits. At the end of our trips we always buy a bunch of snacks to take home with us. We are a family of 4, with 7 and 9 year old boys who love snacks and we still don't use them all.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I got the dining plan for our DD when she was 2 (we just had to list her as being 3 on the reservation). We rented DVC points so we didn't have to buy her a ticket. I think the Dining plan was definitely worth it for her. It's only $10.99 a day which pays for itself in one meal IMO. Plus, you get extra snacks which are the same for anyone in your party. I really don't feel that I'm 'cheating' Disney at all by saying she's 3 because I'm paying for her to eat - I'm not getting anything for free. I think Disney should offer a discounted Dining Plan option for those of us who DO want to get the DP for our 2 year olds. Many of them eat just as much as a 3 yo and I don't mind paying the $10 a day.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    So when will the child use the left over ticket? He can't go into the parks by himself. Of course if the family plans to return later and not purchase a package and only need one day tickets then the ticket will be great to have, but I am not sure how often that is the case.
    Right now our 5 year old (will be 6 then) already has tickets so she will not be using her 1 day 1 park either. the tickets will be used a couple years later. my husband and I will be getting tickets that will be more days than our daughters. We make it that we don't have to buy tickets for everybody at every trip so it's not such a big expense at once, so the 2 1 day tickets will come in handy on another visit when our daughters ticket will only have 2 days left to match the 2 1days that our son will have (her 1 day and his 1 day from this trip).
    this is also only if the dining plan is free. how we eat the dining plan is not worth it for dh and I, just the 10.99 for the kids would be worth it, so we obviously would not be doing it if it's not free next year.
    *~*TinkerBeth*~*

Fort Wilderness
    Caribbean Beach
    Pop Century
    French Quarter
    Riverside
    too many times to count :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBeth View Post
    Right now our 5 year old (will be 6 then) already has tickets so she will not be using her 1 day 1 park either. the tickets will be used a couple years later. my husband and I will be getting tickets that will be more days than our daughters. We make it that we don't have to buy tickets for everybody at every trip so it's not such a big expense at once, so the 2 1 day tickets will come in handy on another visit when our daughters ticket will only have 2 days left to match the 2 1days that our son will have (her 1 day and his 1 day from this trip).
    this is also only if the dining plan is free. how we eat the dining plan is not worth it for dh and I, just the 10.99 for the kids would be worth it, so we obviously would not be doing it if it's not free next year.

My wife and I have done the same. We need to upgrade one of our 1 day tickets from a past trip this time around, but our son still has days left and our daughter, while she has a one day ticket is still under 3 and free. We'll return this fall and pay for my wife and I's to be upgraded, when we go in the spring before my daughter turns 3 we'll upgrade a ticket for my son from a past trip and then the next trip we'd have to upgrade our daughters ticket as she'd be over 3.

Also if it's free even if you use the snacks for water in the park it avoids lugging your own water and it was free other than the fact that you had to "pre-purchase" a park ticket that will never expire and could be used years from now if that's the case. If you are a frequent visitor to The World I think it's a valid plan, if not then I wouldn't likely do it either.

We are frequent visitors, my daughter will be 3 in May and as it is she'll have 5 visits in and a DCL cruise by then. We are lucky and I know that; but effective planning never hurt either.

Post Thanks / Like

1) I re-read your question.
    2) What you want to do is AGAINST THE RULES.
    3) You are trying to put in a non-guest (2-yo) for Free Dining.
    . . . lie about the age
    . . . get dining credits for someone not eligible
    . . . get around the dining program rules for personal greed.
    4) Basically, you are adding a ficitious person to your group/family.
    5) SHAME.

NOTE: This was meant to be a little harsh, because it is irritating to see someone trying to deliberately skirt WDW rules and take advantage of the Free Dining program. If it was a paid-DDP, then nothing is wrong, but to get Free DDP, it is certainly wrong.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) I re-read your question.
    2) What you want to do is AGAINST THE RULES.
    3) You are trying to put in a non-guest (2-yo) for Free Dining.
    . . . lie about the age
    . . . get dining credits for someone not eligible
    . . . get around the dining program rules for personal greed.
    4) Basically, you are adding a ficitious person to your group/family.
    5) SHAME.

NOTE: This was meant to be a little harsh, because it is irritating to see someone trying to deliberately skirt WDW rules and take advantage of the Free Dining program. If it was a paid-DDP, then nothing is wrong, but to get Free DDP, it is certainly wrong.
    I'm glad you are Holy enough to sit in judgement of others. My children are not fictious, let me assure you they are quite real. How is it any different if you pay for it, you are still changing their ages? Also if I took a discount on the room and paid for the dining plan you feel that's ok but not if I take free dining?

Children are not ineligible for the DDP they are just not required to purchase one but as you said you can change your child's age as long as you are prepared to pay for it but not otherwise.

I'll say this nicely, please get over yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Rusty. What your doing is indeed cheating the system, and considering your trying to do it MIlitary tickets is just plain WRONG, which is not allowed to be disscessed on Intercot.

"Lastly, we do not promote "cheating the system". Any post discussing how to get around the rules or posting of private discount codes will immediately be deleted and the account temporarily suspended until which time a moderator can contact the offending member."

That was quoted from the Terms of Service.

I will remove myself from my now.
    Jennifer
    Princess Mallorie's Mommy

Many times as a little girl
    2001- off-site
    2006- Animal Kingdom Lodge (Honeymoon)
    2007- Pop Century (came back with the best souvenir !!!!!!)
    2008- Put on hold for new baby, born 10/02/08!
    2010-Coronado Springs Resort

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add that when I change my DD's age to get her the DDP we ARE paying for it. DH and I don't book the free dining package and if we did I personally wouldn't change my child's age to get free dining. I don't see anything wrong with changing their age when you're paying for the plan but if you're getting it for free it's different.
    See You Real Soon!

Post Thanks / Like

What you are doing is certainly NOT wrong and we are doing the same thing in September. The booking CM actually suggested that to me.

I have twin 2 year old DS. They eat more than would allow them to share off our plates. I am getting them the DDP and PAYING for their one day ticket. In order to be eligible for the DDP, you must have a 1 day ticket which they have. So how is that possibly cheating the system?? I am giving Disney MORE money than I have to.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a magical vacation.
    First Trip: 1983- (Before 6 months old!)
    1983-Present (Too many trips to count!)

Important Trips:
    Dec 2006- Carribean Beach (Honeymoon!)
    May 2008 (First trip for our Twins!)

Next Trip:
    Sept. 2009 - FREE DINING!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jwildflower1981 View Post
    I agree with Rusty. What your doing is indeed cheating the system, and considering your trying to do it MIlitary tickets is just plain WRONG, which is not allowed to be disscessed on Intercot.

"Lastly, we do not promote "cheating the system". Any post discussing how to get around the rules or posting of private discount codes will immediately be deleted and the account temporarily suspended until which time a moderator can contact the offending member."

That was quoted from the Terms of Service.

I will remove myself from my now.

Who said anything about MIlitary Tickets? Let's not add patriotic claims to this, I saw no reference to trying and get DDP for a 2 year old member of the military.

As it was mentioned you are buying a ticket you don't have to and the strategy was suggested by a CM, so maybe it's not so wrong just not advertised as something they want to encourage either. If WDW can get you to buy out of pocket instead are they going to complain that you did?

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies for the military comment. That was on a diff thread and I mixed up the two. I am big enough to admit when I am wrong and misspoke. (I just had surgery yesterday so the pain meds have me a little woo-woo)
    But, I still do believe lying about your child’s age is not being truthful and is not right since your trying to get something for free.

Quote Originally Posted by potzie View Post
    You could always book them as if they are 3 for the reservation. You do have to buy them a park ticket as you said but then they would get the dining entitlements.

At the park you just say they are 2 since they are and they don't require a ticket. Just save the 1 day park ticket for the future.

Don't ask me how I know this but it can be done.
    You appaerntly know this is sneaky and not right or you wouldn't feel the need to it.
    Jennifer
    Princess Mallorie's Mommy

Many times as a little girl
    2001- off-site
    2006- Animal Kingdom Lodge (Honeymoon)
    2007- Pop Century (came back with the best souvenir !!!!!!)
    2008- Put on hold for new baby, born 10/02/08!
    2010-Coronado Springs Resort

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: