Quantcast WDW Weather Forecast - September 30-Oct 16, 2009

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WDW Weather Forecast - September 30-Oct 16, 2009

Each day in September, I'll update this first post with the forecast, both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Updated Wednesday pm, September 30, 2009
    The last day of September definitely feels like fall! A beautiful day with a high of 82! Tomorrow through Friday highs should stay 83-85 with lows around 60-62. Saturday and Sunday a front approaches which will kick off scattered thunderstorms. The highs will be 85-87. Monday through Wednesday highs will be back to normal for this time of year (which is 88) with highs 87-89 and isolated pop up afternoon thunderstorms.

Long range...Oct 8-9 we're still looking at upper 80s with a high pressure ridge in control, but that breaks down on Oct 10 as a front moves through with scattered thunderstorms (doesn't look like a big rain event) with a high in the mid 80s. Oct 11-12 highs stay in the mid 80s with mostly dry conditions. A big front moves in on Oct 13. That day looks pretty wet with the high probably not out of the 70s, but remember this is all voodoo right now. Actually Oct 14-16 looks extremely wet and stormy as a hurricane moves in to Florida near Tampa and slowly moves across Florida. That's just what the models are showing this afternoon. Do I really think that will happen? No. However, anytime beyond 7 days I'm simply reporting model data not giving an actual forecast. I will say that the pattern for mid October on continues to seem cooler and wetter than normal, but we'll see how that all plays out.

Travel Impact
    A vigorous upper trough will bring a chance of strong to severe thunderstorms to the Great Plains today, but an even more significant severe weather threat is likely tomorrow in the broad area from Jackson and Memphis to Kansas City and Omaha. Parameters suggest an enhanced severe risk tomorrow for places like Tulsa and Fort Smith. Some of the storms in that region could produce large hail, damaging wind, and even a few isolated tornadoes.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here and here to learn a lot about turbulence. Those two articles should be very helpful in allowing you to understand turbulence and flight safety when it hits. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!

Tropics
    Not a thing happening across the Atlantic basin.

Click here to view Walt Disney World's Complete hurricane policy for 2009.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, we are arriving on the 10th and leaving on the 19th.

Post Thanks / Like

We leave tomorrow, and have a quick question!

So this front, is it kicking up more thunderstorms than usual? Or is this just more of the same for Orlando this time of year?

I know it rains every day for short periods... I'm just worried that it's a rain all day type thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

thank you for the weather forcasts we will be leaving new jersey on the 23rd of sept. and any news about the weather is important to us
    i'll keep my eyes on this thread and keep my fingers cross for good weather
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steamfitter mouse View Post
    thank you for the weather forcasts we will be leaving new jersey on the 23rd of sept. and any news about the weather is important to us
    i'll keep my eyes on this thread and keep my fingers cross for good weather
    Thanks again
    to Intercot!!! Hope you have a great trip.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Hi Chris!
    First, please extend a 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to your Mother from us here on Intercot!
    Second, thanks for the weather updates. We will be arriving on Saturday and have the huricane season in the back of our minds.
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

BMan62 is offline Team INTERCOT Cast Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chris, for the great reports. We'll be arriving on the 15th, so I will be keeping an eye out on your reports on this front moving off the African coast right now. Typical 14 - 18 day cycle would put it in the WDW/Florida area right in the middle of our vacation!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMan62 View Post
    Typical 14 - 18 day cycle would put it in the WDW/Florida area right in the middle of our vacation!
    Yeah, you're right about that. The good news is that this is a higher latitude system which means the chances are better than average that anything that develops will recurve. Not a certainty, but I hope that brings you some comfort.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back last night from our trip. We could not have asked for better weather. Only minor rain. What more could we ask for. In our book perfect.

Thanks for your reports.
    Pally

Past Trips

Pop- Dec 2015
    Portofino Bay-(Club)Universal Dec, 2015
    Pop - Oct 2012
    Pop- Aug/Sept 2009
    Wilderness Lodge - Dec. 2006
    Portofino Bay-(Club)-Universal- Dec 2006
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- May 2003
    Sheraton Vistana Villages- April 2002
    Off-site-May 1989-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pally View Post
    Just got back last night from our trip. We could not have asked for better weather. Only minor rain. What more could we ask for. In our book perfect.

Thanks for your reports.
    So glad you had a wonderful trip. I'm even more glad Danny & Bill didn't cause any havoc for you to get in and out. Thanks for the update!
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Hey Chris,

We will be Disney bound at Thanksgiving through the 6th of December. Will it be warm enough to swim? What are temps usually like this time of year? I looked for some older posts but have not found the answers.

Hope you are doing well, thanks for info,

Carol Ann
    Carol Ann
    Mom Mom to 2 little China dolls
    Lucy Rae & Mia Lee

CSR - Nov 29th to Dec 5th

POP - Sept 19th to 26th, 2008

OKW - Aug 26th - Sept. 1st, 2007
    P&P Party August 31st, 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Carol Ann.

That's a tough question. Weather at WDW is extremely variable that time of year. Check Info Central in the historic weather conditions page and you'll see the data for the last 5 years for your exact dates. It's possible to have highs around 80 or 50 or both in the same week. Just looking at general patterns I think this will be a cooler fall/winter, but can't say for sure.

So, to answer your question, yes, swimming is definitely possible that time of year. Especially since the pools are all heated. Getting from the pool to your room, however, might be a bit chilly.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks weather guru.... guess we will find out.... and hope for the 80's....

Carol Ann
    Carol Ann
    Mom Mom to 2 little China dolls
    Lucy Rae & Mia Lee

CSR - Nov 29th to Dec 5th

POP - Sept 19th to 26th, 2008

OKW - Aug 26th - Sept. 1st, 2007
    P&P Party August 31st, 2007

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to MNSSHP on Sept 22nd. Do you think it will be rain all day and evening? Or do you think the rain should clear out before the party.

We have never been to the party and are so looking forward to it. I would hate for the entire party to be rained out.
    JENNIFER

Next Up: March 2011AKL
    DVC member since 2009 at AKV

Summer 1983 & 1987 Offsite
    June 1997 ASMu
    August/September 2003 ASMo
    Sept 2006 POP,
    Sept 2007 Port Orleans Riverside
    March and Sept 2009 POFQ
    Sept 2009
    May 2010 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eeyore27 View Post
    We are going to MNSSHP on Sept 22nd. Do you think it will be rain all day and evening? Or do you think the rain should clear out before the party.
    I definitely understand the frustration of being at a hard ticket event in the pouring rain. Done it with MNSSHP once and MVMCP once. The upside was an almost deserted MK. Downside was getting wet.

To answer your question...WAAAAAYYYY too early to tell. That's out in voodooland right now. Anything beyond 7 days the models show general patterns, but specifics just aren't realistic. So, I'm reporting to you what I see on the models but I don't put much stock in that at the moment. By next Tuesday I'll have a better handle on what to expect on the 22nd. Right now the models are being very consistent about the idea of a strong front / cooler air moving in around that time, so I take that idea seriously, but the exact timing (or day) can't be confirmed right now. You know, with Disney doing ADRs 180 days out again it's too bad I can't get the weather to show me exactly what it's going to do that far out.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

What does it mean when a cold front comes into the picture? Does that mean a good chance for rain?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Going2HeavenRU View Post
    What does it mean when a cold front comes into the picture? Does that mean a good chance for rain?
    Bring your ponchos.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Going2HeavenRU View Post
    Usually, but not always. Sometimes a dry front moves through. It all depends on the dynamics of the specific system. In general this time of year, though, you see 1-2 hours of rain out of a cold front with squall line (strong thunderstorms) moving through about 30 min then 60-90 of lighter rain before it clears out. Once it comes through, though, you're looking at lower humidity and lower temps. Much more pleasant. Also, the chances of the isolated afternoon thunderstorms will disappear for a couple of days.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Tropics
    All is quiet for now. Still a possibility of a flare up in 2-3 weeks with another positive MJO pulse.

What does this mean? Has this been occuring with all the storms, or is this more indicative of something really happening? Is the pattern still such that most likely anything that develops will fizzle out in the Atlantic, or have things shifted? You probably can't even really answer these questions, just looking for some reassurance!
    May '06 - offsite
    Dec. '07 - Poly
    Feb. '09 - WL
    Oct. '09 - CBR
    May '10 - POFQ/AKL
    Oct. '10 - BWI
    Jan./Feb. '11 - All Star Music
    March '12 - Poly
    Dec. '12 - Pop Century
    April '13 - Disneyland!
    Nov '13 - 1st Disney Cruise!
    June '14 - All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz36 View Post
    What does this mean? Has this been occuring with all the storms, or is this more indicative of something really happening? Is the pattern still such that most likely anything that develops will fizzle out in the Atlantic, or have things shifted? You probably can't even really answer these questions, just looking for some reassurance!
    An MJO pulse is simply a pattern which is conducive for the development of tropical storms. It doesn't mean anything will, but when we had the big flare up last month it was during an MJO pulse.

Right now the pattern is still more of the type that would cause Cape Verde storms to curve back into the Atlantic. However, I have no idea if that will be the case in 2-3 weeks. Don't worry, though, should anything develop you will have plenty of warning as to what's coming. Given the patterns of the current year I really don't think you have much to be concerned about.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: