Quantcast She Said - He Said Day 9

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default She Said - He Said Day 9

Cast:
    She (nicster) – 10 years old at WDW. Real world age? Between 50 & death…
    He (DH) – 11 years old at WDW. Ditto on real world age.

September 28:

THE PLAN: Pool – Epcot – Nine Dragons – Richard Marx – British Invasion

FROM DH: Okay, a little diversion here about my music taste and some notes about why I like Richard Marx so much. I’m going to put it in a different color, and if you just want to skip it, just go down to the next orange portion.

As a teenager during the 60’s I was a big Beatles fan. So I definitely wanted to catch the Invasion at least once during this trip. Monday night was the only chance left to do that since they are off on Tuesday and Wednesday.

But I’m a big Richard Marx fan. Here are a couple of stories about some of his music. The first song of his I really liked was “Right Here Waiting”. And what made it particularly special to me is that my DD would play it for me on the piano. Wow!

Okay, now another diversion. I find that there are two ways that I get to really like a song. The first is the case where I hear the song a number of times, and I use the expression that it “grows” on me. Why don’t I love them immediately? I don’t know. I guess it depends on the beat, the voices, the mood I’m in, etc.

The second case is where the very first time I hear a song, I love it, gotta have it and will get it either on CD (in the old days) or via iTunes currently.

Back in the early 90s, I couldn’t tell you exactly when, I’m doing the radio surf game and I hear the beginning of a song. It’s “Hazard”. I’m trying to figure out who the artist is. I’m not great on recognizing voices, but once I know, I got it. I’m thoroughly hooked on the song though. I continue listening and Richard kicks into “I think about my life gone by….” And I know who it is. I gotta have this song in my collection. I love it. It’s one of my favorites of all time. At least in the top 50…I like a lot of songs.

So whenever I explain the two modes I go through to find a song I like, and when I explain the second mode, the song I reference is ALWAYS “Hazard”. It stands out that clearly to me.

So needless to say I’m hoping Richard will do that at the concert Monday.

MORON ALERT: So we watch the first 2 shows on Monday, but leave for British Invasion before the third...stupid me. Then on Tuesday, we do just the 3rd show. Hazard is not in any of them. He does “Right Here Waiting” in all three, and that’s great, but I’m just a little disappointed. Then, a few days after we get home I find that someone has posted on the web all of the songs Richard did in all 6 sets. He did Hazard in the 3rd set on Monday and the 1st set on Tuesday. I could just In the words of Bugs Bunny (can I reference him in a Disney thread?) what a maroooon (referring to me, not Mr. Marx). In particular once you read about our experience watching the British Invasion below.

But hey Starship is coming up on Wednesday and I’m a big fan since the Surrealistic Pillow days of Jefferson Airplane and Grace Slick. I hope they do my favorite…..Miracles. But that’s too much to ask for. That’s a pretty old song, done back in the mid 70s. Oh well.

We decided to sleep in a little and do a pool morning at the quiet pool at Jamaica. So we’re there for about 90 minutes and then back to the room to shower and head over to Epcot. We’re at the bus stop by 11:40, a 4 minute wait for a bus, and then at the park by 12:05.

RANT: I’m not a smoker, and if someone else wants to do that, it’s fine by me AS LONG AS THEY DON’T DO IT AROUND ME. So we’re in line getting our bags checked at Epcot and a lady(?) is in line, very pregnant, pushing a stroller and smoking. What’s wrong with some people? Why do they have to be so inconsiderate? Isn’t this child abuse? END RANT

Moving on.

We head to Soarin’ to get an FP. Return time is 5:15 to 6:15. Wow. You’d think this ride is popular or something? LOL

So we then head over to Nine Dragons for lunch. We walk in and are seated immediately. Lots of empty tables. They have a DDP lunch special that includes Hot-and-sour soup, my favorite, and General Tso’s chicken, another favorite. I’m jumping on that, and then some Red Bean ice cream for dessert. Can it get any better? For me to like Hot-and-sour, it’s gotta have good spicy flavor and clear my sinuses. The soup they provide is excellent. The General’s chicken is okay, not spicy enough for me and the chicken seems a little bland (My favorite is from a little restaurant in Gresham, Oregon, a little outside Portland) and the ice cream is great. All in all, a good choice.

What we had for lunch at Nine Dragons was exactly what I would have ordered at our fav Chinese restaurant at home. As said the hot & sour soup was spot-on.

We wander around in the International Showcase. We buy several shot glasses in Germany (we’ve started collecting them), we watch the Italian food demonstration, even tasting a little EVOO, and then walking thru Japan. We’re planning on returning here since our DS loves the candy there and we have some ressies in Japan as well on Tuesday.
    Continued
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR
    DL 1971 to now - too many times to count, DL AP holder & Disney stockholder

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The food demo was very well presented. The chief had an interpreter, but it was done smoothly. They handed out the recipe but could not let us taste (not done in the strictest food regulations format).

We do American Adventure. Since we have seen how it all works from the back side during our Backstage Magic Tour, we want to see how it all comes together from the front. Definitely cool. One thing to pass on is that in front of the screen (which is driven by a rear projection unit) there is an opening in the stage the full length of the screen. They just move the various character “units” up when they want them to be presented.

So seating has already begun for Richard Marx, and it’s not too crowded. I go find a place in the shade…it’s really hot, and Nicci heads to France for a slushy of some type.

This is when I tried my second favorite adult beverage of our trip; Grey Goose Citron Lemonade Slush! To clarify, this is equal to the Grand Marnier & Grey Goose Orange Slush, just the second to be tried. So good, so smooth, just the right amount of lemonade tartness & so cold, it really hit the spot! Yes, I offered a taste to Richard, but he just wasn’t as impressed as I-ahhhh. In talking to the couple seated next to me, I found out that many of the artists do different cuts for the different shows.

We catch the first show, and then I get back in line for the second show. I get some pretty good seats in the second row. Nicci joins me soon, she went somewhere, I just forget where, and when. Anyway, it’s a good show again, with some differences in the song selection.

Since we were at EPCOT last in 2007 I have been imagining eating one of those wonderful sweet pretzels from the bakery in Norway. It has some raisins or dates (not a lot, enough to give it some interest) and a cream cheese frosting that is covered with sliced toasted almonds! In this fantasy I am watch Illuminations or one of the concerts. Yes, magic really happens in the world, there I was listening to this great concert & enjoying my prized sweet!

So we skip the third show (stupid me) and head over to listen to British Invasion at 8 PM. We grab a bench, but I’m pretty hungry at this point since we had lunch at 1 so I start looking for some food. All the lines at the F&W Kiosks are a mile long, so I just grab some popcorn to tide me over. Back to the bench. So we’re on the bench over on the right side facing the stage. A bunch of low-life smoker types come in and stand in front of us and the folks around us. (not that all smokers are low-lifers, but these definitely were). There is an old lady in a wheel chair smoking, and a young boy I’d say early teens who looks to be severely disabled (but he’s not smoking). This of course is a non-smoking area, but what do they care? They’re blocking our view, and not even paying attention to the show, blabbing among themselves and smoking like the low-life fiends they are. Why did they even bother coming? <sigh>

While I held our places at the bench waiting for the Invasion, all these cute bunnies came out of the surrounding softscape. It was almost surreal watching them hopping around & all of us guests sitting very still so we would not scare them away. (I did get bit by a few mosquitoes, so if you are planning to do this show after dark, you might want to bring your bug repellant).

Anyway, the Invasion shows up late to do 6 songs and then they are gone. Maybe 15 to 20 minutes. What a disappointment. I guess it was their last set as they are off for a couple of days, and couldn’t be bothered. They do 2 Beatles, 1 Hollies, 1 Kinks, 1 Herman’s Hermits and 1 more Beatle. And I missed Hazard for this. Somebody just needs to put me down. They shoot horses, don’t they?

It’s a little later than 6:15, but we head over to Soarin’ to use our fast passes. Still cool. I like that we’ve been to virtually every place in the video, although not in the same way as shown. Also, my DD is not sure if they are in the video or not, but when they filmed the scene of coming into DL at the end, they did it during two separate nights, and since she was a CM at the time, she and her hubby were there one of those nights. I just need to get a slow mode close-up to see if I can find her.

It’s EMH at Epcot, so we head over and get in the single rider line for Test Track. The FPs are gone, and the standby line is like 60 minutes. We’re on pretty quick and then head over to do Mission Space. We did the original orange version when this ride opened, and both came off of it pretty nauseous. So we opt for the green version this time. It’s okay, but something I could clearly skip.

I’m still famished and we head over to Electric Umbrella. I have a burger (what was I thinking?), but I get a fruit cup as a dessert and pass it along to Nicci.

I didn’t know I wanted the fruit cup until it appeared in front of me. The melon was perfectly ripe, along with being chilled just what this tired soul needed (I hate eating really close to bed time, so I didn’t order anything to eat). Thanks again, Richard (my hero).

We hit the bus stop at 10:50 and it’s pretty jammed. A full bus is pulling away as we arrive, and another bus shows up at 10:55. A third bus shows up at 11:06 and we’re on it. We’re back to Jamaica by 11:18. So about 30 minutes. Not bad.

So, another good day at WDW. Some great ones yet to come.
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of "Hazard" as well and would have been disappointed to miss that!

We did a food demonstration a couple of years ago and greatly enjoyed it!

Sounds like you had a lovely day despite the disappointment of missing a favorite song!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Another lovely day, Nicci & Richard! I completely understand your take on music - I'm the same way. I'm so sorry you missed R.Marx' song you wanted to hear for a fairly rotten showing of British Invasion, though.

I had to laugh - DH "got the itch" to collect shot glasses (or as Disney calls them, "toothpick holders") many moons ago. I think 90% of our collection has been bought at Disney over the years. You can find some really cool ones there!

Even with the F&WF, it sounds like you were able to hit several attractions. Very nice. Looking forward to your next post!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KylesMom View Post
    I had to laugh - DH "got the itch" to collect shot glasses (or as Disney calls them, "toothpick holders") many moons ago. I think 90% of our collection has been bought at Disney over the years. You can find some really cool ones there!
    Oh yeah. We came back with 9 different ones. Last November we did a Mexico cruise and at Puerta Vallarta we did a tequila tour. We came back with a couple of flavored bottles, Almond and Peach. And then when we were at Cabo, we picked up some Reposado and a Pomegranate Cream to die for. So the shot glasses will be used for more than just toothpicks.
    Richard

1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 All Star Music
    2004 Coronado Springs
    2006 All Star Music
    2007 CBR
    Sept 20 - Oct 1 2009 CBR

Disneyland - since the 50's - too many times to count (DD used to work the Jungle Cruise so we got in for FREE!!!)

Post Thanks / Like

i am lovin the reports,so happy you had along vacation,more reports to read!
    "this is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good."

stitchaholic
    off site-1980
    ASM-2008
    POP-JAN 26,2009

CSR-JAN,2009
    WLV-jan 2010
    next visit dec 2010 AKL

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nicster View Post
    This is when I tried my second favorite adult beverage of our trip; Grey Goose Citron Lemonade Slush! To clarify, this is equal to the Grand Marnier & Grey Goose Orange Slush, just the second to be tried. So good, so smooth, just the right amount of lemonade tartness & so cold, it really hit the spot!
    Are these slushies a special for the Food & Wine Festival or can you get them throughout the year? They sound delicious!

Thanks again for another fun report!
    Jane

M A S E C A !

Team Billy - "I'm OK!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDale View Post
    Are these slushies a special for the Food & Wine Festival or can you get them throughout the year? They sound delicious!
    This is from one of the regular outdoor boths in the French area the backs up to the water,"Les Vins des Chefs de France"... they run $9.50 (after the tax).
    nicci
    1975 Off Site
    1993 Dixie Landings
    1995 Dixie Landings
    1999 ASM
    2004 CSR
    2006 ASM
    2007 CBR
    2009 CBR
    2019 CBR

Post Thanks / Like