Quantcast Space Mountain Soft Opening Reactions - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Imagineer1981...my thoughts exactly!
    Over the years, I have gone on SM with DW, both DD's, both DS's, and five (of seven) of our DGK's...plus other friends and family members...
    DS#I learned that mommy swears as we hit the first hill....
    DD#1 and I rode SM 26 times on a 4 day trip....back to back 6 times during the MS Electrical Parade....
    Rode it 6 times, alternating sides, during an E-Ticket Night...Really miss E-Ticket nights!
    IMHO, SM was/is a great ride, and I have fond memories of SM rides from past trips. I am not disappointed that they didn't make a major change....I accept all my old friends, with their faults, as I hope they accept me with mine.
    It was fun to tell DGD#2 that she screamed just like her mom did at the same age, and at the same places....and I look forward to my first rides, on my old friend, with DGD#3 and DGS#4....perhaps for my 70th, in 2011!
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a point needs to be made here that replacing the track/adding new effects would not have fundamentally changed the ride. A lot of people here seem to be equating anything new other than what was already there as drastically changing the dynamic of the ride when that's not the case at all.

Space Mountain has and always will be an indoor roller coaster with a mirrored dual track layout and special effects intended to create the illusion that you're flying through space.

That concept, regardless of what they had done during the refurbishment, would not have changed. What they would have changed would merely improve the ride experience. The track getting replaced, although with the main intention of supporting the weight of upgraded trains, would have kept the same layout. However, with the knowledge of an additional 34 years of roller coaster design available, it would have been sturdier, and smoother.

The onboard audio would have helped guests suspend disbelief of the fact that they were on a roller coaster, and truly racing through space. This would be augmented by the audio being able to mask the sounds of the anti-rollback devices on the lift, and the trim brakes mid-course. It also would have hidden the screams of other riders, making it seem like you and you alone would have been on that rocket racing through space.

The added special effects could have been mind-boggling. Anybody that's seen the lift tunnel on Space Mountain at DLR knows what I'm talking about. You ascend a tunnel of circular rings (projected) and they begin to spin, making it seem as if your ship is rotating as you ascend, approaching what appears to be a wormhole. The music crescendos and you enter the main interior of the mountain surrounded by millions of bright stars (which at this point, you haven't seen yet). Much more dramatic and exciting than the current dull lift.

The hyperspeed tunnel at the end, with its amazing lighting effects making it seem as if you're going MUCH faster than you really are before slowing down to a stop would have been a perfect finale as well as a great spot for an on-ride photo. I'd take this any day over a fiberglass tube with some red flashing lights and a sound effect that could have been used in 1960's era Star Trek.

None of these things, however, would have changed the fundamental idea of the ride itself. It would still be a roller coaster, it would still be in the dark, it would still take the same path with all the same turns and drops. None of that would change. Everything added would be done so with the intention of enhancing it. Disney is all about keeping people in the story. And as far as I'm concerned, whenever I ride Space Mountain in Florida, I have a really hard time believing I'm "racing through space" because I can't ignore all the telltale signs that I'm riding a roller coaster. California, however, is a different story.
    Visits: Too many to count!

College Programs: 3

What's next? We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFanaticDargon View Post
    I think a point needs to be made here that replacing the track/adding new effects would not have fundamentally changed the ride...
    This post is all true.

Sometimes it seems like these discussions get responded to by two groups: The Curmudgeons and the Defenders. The curmudgeons seems to always fuss about what could be better and the defenders seem to reply back, "Everything at my Disney World is perfect just as it is.". I'm probably a curmudgeon but I'm still (of course) a WDW fan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goes4FastPass View Post
    This post is all true.

Sometimes it seems like these discussions get responded to by two groups: The Curmudgeons and the Defenders. The curmudgeons seems to always fuss about what could be better and the defenders seem to reply back, "Everything at my Disney World is perfect just as it is.". I'm probably a curmudgeon but I'm still (of course) a WDW fan.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Of course the ride could have been better with upgrades, and of course many of us wish it were done. But, in the long run we are all Disney fans and just glad we still have the ride.
    Contemporary 1977
    Disneyland Hotel 1979
    Polynesian 1980
    Trips between '80-'93
    Offsite - 2000 (First with DW)
    Pop Century - April '08
    Wilderness Lodge - Jan '10
    Pop Century -1st WDW Marathon - Jan '11
    Wilderness Lodge -2nd WDW Marathon - Jan '13
    Disneyland - 1/2 and Halloween - Sep & Oct '15

Post Thanks / Like

I was disappointed to read the OP's review and hear that they had not made more significant changes to Space Mountain. I have been riding WDW's version of Space Mountain since it opened in 1975 and while I am nostalgic about the ride, I would love for it to be updated the way the Disneyland version was (which, incidentally, opened two years after the WDW one). IMHO it could have stayed closed a while longer if the outcome was worth it. Granted, there would have been people disgruntled because it was closed during their trip, but as WDW is open 365 days a year, how do you ever upgrade attractions without disappointing someone?

To make matters worse, I'm sure the lines will be four times as long as before, now that it's officially reopened. Not sure it will be worth the wait when I am there next week.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Disney needs to stop worrying about what their guests think in the short term and instead think about the long term profits that could result from giving Space Mountain the upgrade that it TRULY deserves despite a much lengthier closure. They need to start focusing on quality again. Giving into the complainers and rushing a refurb to have it open for Christmas, especially after seeing what the end result was (which is to say, it's pretty much the exact same ride) has proven to me that TDO has really lost its way in terms of delivering a unique and memorable experience so many years after an attraction has opened.
    Agree with most of your post, but can't quite believe that Disney is responding to mere customers' whining. If that were the case, many more things that need fixing would have been by now.
    Just Jill.......

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from our trip. We rode SM several times. I'm going to comment on the ride as a whole - queue, loading areas, ride and exit. Much of this everyone already knows by now, so I'm just giving my impressions.

There are two sides: Alpha (left side) and Omega (right side) - I know there were always two sides but I don't think they were named before (at least I didn't notice).

As others have said, there are no significant changes to the ride itself. The interactive video games really don't add anything positive to the experience, and IMHO, they detract from that "deep space" feeling. We always loved the way it feels like you are getting deeper and deeper into outer space as you work your way through the queue to the loading area.

The ride itself seems smoother and less rickety to me. Both sides weren't operating together each time we rode. The times both sides were operating you could see other riders zoom by you at certain points. I didn't remember that before, but my DH says it was always that way.

You don't see the glow-in-the-dark stripes on the cars as they zip overhead of the loading area anymore. We miss that.

The ride also has a strange temporary feel to it, like it's still under construction. There are areas that seem very hastily finished. The floor has a cool black paint with greenish sparkles, but it's very rough looking in spots. I guess it was intentional but again, it seems unfinished and borderline sloppy.

There's also new paint near the loading area - a beautiful vibrant blue - but as you enter the loading area on the Alpha side it's all peeling off and people (I assume) have been picking at it. There are big patches peeled off with the white drywall showing. Really awful. My DH, who's in construction, said, "Looks like somebody forgot the primer!" Again, this adds to the impression that they really rushed to finish this.

There's also the green wall on the left and the "Thanks for flying with us" banner on the right along the moving walkway. That also seems unfinished. We were all wondering if there will be some kind of green screen special effect there (i.e. when you look to your right you see yourself with some space-y visuals projected on the green screen behind you).

We liked the tableaus on the right side along the exit walkway - under the sea, spelunking, the cocktail lounge with the robot waiter, etc.

We got to see the ride with the lights on when we rode the TTA when SM was closed. The tracks all look brand new.

A few more observations: the horse head nebula picture is gone, which we really loved. The new cars are nice - more comfortable than the old ones.

Finally, to me, the ride seems slightly more intense than it did before, but that could just be me. It's definitely smoother, so I think by eliminating the distraction of the jerky movements it adds to the intensity. I really didn't know which way it was going to go (i.e. down, up, right, left) so I think that also added to the intensity for me.
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, mousetrapper. We're looking forward to riding it next week!
    NEXT TRIP - DCL Fantasy Oct. 2016
    Yacht Club - Oct. '14, Dec. '15
    Poly - Dec. '07, '09
    Grand Flo - Too many times to keep track!
    CBR - May '10, Oct. '10, Dec. '11
    POR - Sept & Dec '03
    AoA - Oct. '12, Dec. '13
    Pop - May '11

Post Thanks / Like

I was there Sunday morning for the official re-opening. It was a bit hectic, with long FP lines and the standby originally back towards Stitch, but after we exited the had finally contained the queue to the indoors.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the interactive queue. I think it's a terrible idea. The game itself reminded us of the space game over at Mission:Space, and I see this only causing problems with holding up the line, grumpy guests, etc.

Here goes the comparison (but I just can't help it) - I did enjoy the ride, but I couldn't help walking out thinking it could be so much more (Disneyland).

I did like the new cushiony seats. Quite comfortable, but still a tad bit tight if you have any kind of bag with you.

And we totally noticed the peeling paint in the loading area mentioned by the previous poster. That looks terrible!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mousetrapper View Post
    There are two sides: Alpha (left side) and Omega (right side) - I know there were always two sides but I don't think they were named before (at least I didn't notice).
    They've always been known by those names internally to help cast differentiate between the two. It's just that now they've got the signs up. I think it adds a little more personality to the fact that there's two sides, despite the fact that they're identical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mousetrapper View Post
    We got to see the ride with the lights on when we rode the TTA when SM was closed. The tracks all look brand new.
    Except they aren't. Complete track replacement including supports would have taken much longer than 7 months as they would have had to open up the mountain and bring in construction equipment to dismantle/rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like

Having just recently returned from a trip to WDW I was able to ride Space Mountain twice this past Monday.

The positives: The queue is themed much better and I did get to play with the interactive game and it was a nice addition to help pass the time while in line. The loading area is also better themed and has a much warmer feel to it. I especially enjoyed the new stars and space station on the ceiling. The ride is the same except it is noticeably darker while on the ride and its harder to see where the track is going. The star field seemed brighter as well. Also the seats are improved...I'm a bigger guy and was very comfortable in these new seats didn't feel like I was crammed.

The Negatives: No on board speakers, The picture taking part is to bright and hurt my eyes.

All things considered I think it was a decent refurbishment. I like the current track layout so I'm not upset that it didn't get replaced just wished they could add the music. Having rode both the updated DL and WDW version. I still say DL is better with effects, but I enjoy the bumpy, jerky ride of WDW better.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thejens View Post
    Perhaps next they'll add some characters along the ride, a gift shop with lots of Stitch as you leave the ride, and perhaps a meet and greet with a photo pass photographer?
    Worst...idea...ever....I'm hoping and praying that you were being sarcastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I'm looking forward to experiencing SM during our next trip to WDW. As I never have been to any other Dinsy parks, (DL, DLP etc) I won't be able to compare them, but hopefully just enjoy it!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

Geez.....They add a bunch of flat screens and some new different lighting....Big deal......

Id take it the way it was....
    Pimpin aint dead.... its just renamed.... Frozen.

Post Thanks / Like

They've always been known by those names internally to help cast differentiate between the two. It's just that now they've got the signs up. I think it adds a little more personality to the fact that there's two sides, despite the fact that they're identical.
    Actually for us CM's it was just A side and B side, B side being on the right as you enter space mountain and the main side.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I am fine with it being the same. I remember when it had fake alien news cast on tv's in the loading area kinda miss that for some reason.
    96 - All-Star Music
    99 - All-Star Music
    04 - Off-site
    05 - All-Star Movies/Music/Off-site (AP)
    06 - All-Star Music/Off-site (AP)
    07 - All-Star Movies
    08 - POP Century
    09 - POP Century/Off-site
    10 - Coronado Springs/CBR/All-Star Sports (AP)
    11 - All-Star Music 1/9! (AP)

Post Thanks / Like

Can't understand the thinking on the new line. Was there the other day with a longish line, which is all wrapped around on and behind the loading area. But we walked right past the interactive parts of the line.

Why not have the line go back where it was meant to and not weave around in misery for 20 minutes after skipping all the fun stuff?
    1972 Offsite
    '74 Polynesian ($27/night)
    '78 Quality Inn aka Sheraton Studio City
    '80 Disneyland
    '97 Hilton
    '98, '99 All Star Music
    2000, '01, '02 All Star Movies
    '05 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    '06, '07, '08, '10, '11 Pop Century
    '07 Disneyland Paris (daytrip)
    '11 Dream cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJDad View Post
    Can't understand the thinking on the new line. Was there the other day with a longish line, which is all wrapped around on and behind the loading area. But we walked right past the interactive parts of the line.

Why not have the line go back where it was meant to and not weave around in misery for 20 minutes after skipping all the fun stuff?
    Here is another example of this. The Standby wait at Test Track was 30 minutes and the single rider wait was 10. Here is a shot of the TT waiting area:TT queue

Why not have the FastPassers and single riders enter outside and the Standby people enter inside so they can at least see all the things inside the building. The way they do it defies all logic.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

I read that the green screen effects are now working in the exit area. True?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: