Quantcast What NOT to do at WDW? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Skip Epcot and focus on the other 3 fantastic parks. Have a great trip!
    1983 Offsite
    1999 Offsite
    2004 POR
    2008 POFQ
    2008 Coronado Springs
    2010 Caribbean Beach Resort

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotafreeze View Post
    Skip Epcot...
    And most of all, don't believe everything you read.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't like telling anybody to skip anything in the park they haven't seen at least once. Even the attractions that I'm not fond of should be seen at least one time to really enjoy everything WDW has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanGStefani24 View Post
    .... i LOVE the universe of energy ride. i think it's worth it!
    Quote Originally Posted by MississippiDisneyFreak View Post
    You should have plenty of time with 6 days like everyone said and I liked Ellen's Energy Adventure, don't skip it if you have plenty of time
    I agree ... Though I don't like the Ellen version of Universe of Energy (still a fan of the original) I think it is a true unique Epcot attraction, and is a must see (at least once) when visiting the park.

Considering many people including myself consider Epcot the best park in the resort, and spend at least 2 days there, while many on these boards talk about spending 1/2 days at The Studios and Animal Kingdom parks this advice is an extreme minority opinion.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

The people who tell you that tastes vary widely are right.

Some people really love Turtle Talk with Crush and my kids think it's really, really boring.

They really like Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor and Stitch's Great Escape and Journey into Imagination, though, and lots of people really dislike those.

I'd get a guide book and make my best guess.

May 2002 WDW
    February 6- 11, 2006 WDW
    September 23-27, 2006 WDW
    September 1-September 9, 2007 WDW
    August 29 - September 6, 2009 WDW
    February 4, 2012 - February 12, 2012 WDW

Post Thanks / Like

NOOOO, don't skip Epcot its awesome

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

In 6 days you should be able to cover anything that you have set out to do. Reading a general description of a ride can help out quite a bit.

It really depends on the ages of your kids too. A PP said to skip Pooh and a dew other Fantasyland attractions, and although I skipped them for basically a whole decade and was fine with it, now with my 2 year old Fantasyland is a must-do.

Stitch is pretty lame to me, but DH loves it and so he will not miss it. He also does not see the "point" to the TTA, while I love to sit back and take in Tomorrowland for a few minutes on the TTA.

If you are a thrill seeker, you'll want to spend more time at DHS. If you are into animal exhibits- AK. World culture, scince- Epcot.

I love the Magic Kingdom as it takes me right back to my childhood. DH only sees outdated non-thrill rides and overly aggressive parents.

Whatever you choose to do you will have a great time. I could spend a day just "being" at Disney- if the back of my mind wasn't telling me to hop on another ride!! Have a great time- and hey, if you don't get it all done, you can always come back.
    Jackie Mouse

Return Offender since 1982!
    Stayed at: CBR, POR, CSR, CR, Poly, ASMo
    Tri-annually in 2010 & 2011... Is that a word?

Next Visit: August 2011
    On Deck: January 2012 if I can make it that long that is...*o*

Post Thanks / Like

we had fun going in with out a plan on our first trip, and just experiencing it as it happend...
    no "adrs", no "this park this day, that park that day", no "must do this ride now". we didnt know any better!
    I think because we didnt push a plan, the "magic" was able to find us...
    It was a complete blast! We come from high presure jobs, so the laid back approach was super nice.
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As many people have already said, everyone has different ideas of what is a must do and a must skip.

What I always tell people who ask me why we keep going back year after year is that each trip is different; kids are older and can do/see different things. Adults can also do/see different things each trip b/c things change constantly it seems like!

I highly suggest getting your hands on a map if you can and try to "map" out your day. Go thru the map with everyone in your party and see what they want to do/see. Then try to accomplish as much as you can, but again you are more than likely not going to get to do and see everything there is to do! One thing I have come to find is that when I sit down with my family what was a must do two years ago is not today - it is something that if we have time we do.

As for using FP, here is our strategy, if we do not have a "runner" with us.....when we approach an attraction and the wait time is just out of the question, we grab a FP and continue on to something else then when we finish the park we go back and catch what we have FP for. Now this is great in theory, but sometimes does not work well -- like during peak times when say ALL of Fantasyland is over hour waits....which attraction do you get a FP for.....it all comes down to the prioritizing thing. AND, if you are staying on property you can possibly utilize EMH to knock these things out (AM always seems to work better! LATE night is also a good time).

I don't think that anyone can really tell you what is a must do and a must miss unless they really know your family likes and dislikes, so I say try to map out a plan of your own and go with that -- actually go with whatever happens -- those seem to be the best trips!
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

As far as touring goes and which rides to do and not do, it really all depends on your family and what you enjoy. My family loves Epcot, we don't love Animal Kingdom. Yours might be the complete opposite. If you don't like roller coasters, don't ride them. If you don't like shows and love thrill rides then go on Rockin Roller Coaster 10 times and skip Beauty and the Beast. But most importantly, don't be afraid to try something. If there's a really short line and you have the time, give it a shot. There's really nothing BAD at Disney. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself no matter what you do.

That having been said, when you get home you will definitely have a list of things you wish you had a chance to do, things you wish you didn't do, and things you have to do if you make another trip.

As far as things I would consider really big mistakes, I would avoid the following...
    • It's February. You don't need to visit a water park. They're great if you like water parks but they can be skipped that time of year.
    • Other "outside the park" things. Don't plan on spending a whole day at Downtown Disney or exploring off site unless it's a matter of stretching out your tickets.
    • Plan TOO MANY meals at sit down restaurants. Priority Seating is a must these days and Disney has many excellent spots to dine but don't over do it and lose the spontanity that can make a Disney trip so great. A character meal or two, a restaurant you think looks really great, and maybe one other one max.
    • Backstage tours. Save that for a visit in the future.
    • Don't plan out too much stuff so that you don't have time to relax, refresh, and be spontaneous.

And as an add on to my last note, the Unofficial Guide's touring plans can be great for first time visitors. They can be a little regimented and often cause you to run around the parks quite a bit but if you want to make sure you see and do as much as possible with minimal standing in line then they are well worth it. Check out their website for all of the many plans you can get.

Most of all...HAVE FUN!!!
    Walt Disney World:
    93, PO FQ
    94-95, Caribbean
    96, Off Site
    99, Coronado
    00, Caribbean
    03, Poly & Wilderness Lodge
    04, Pop Cent
    06, Contemp
    07, Beach Club
    07, Pop Cent
    09, Pop Cent
    10, Off Site
    11, PO FQ
    12, Coronado
    13, Off Site
    14, PO FQ
    16, PO RS

Only 1110.89 miles...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds Dangerous is a waste of time. Other than that, everything is fair game. If it is your first time, start with the most popular stuff, do them early, and work to the next tier, getting in as much as you can. Anything you miss? Plan another trip!

On a personal note, I'd never bother with the new American Idol attraction, but I assume it's popular, and would recommend it to those that like the show, I suppose.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with Red Raider's advice about too many sit down meals. Our first trip we were eating full meals three times a day. By the end of the week, we were just going through the motions and we were often eating dinner at expensive places and we weren't even hungry.
    Moderation in all things.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

That is cool family's first wow what my family does is we try to get there early in the morning to eat and as soon as we get out.We get out to go get fastpass for the afternoon.But, if we can t get there early then oh well we try our best but no fastpasses or fastpasses a good mermorie to last!!!! ( HAVE FUN!!!! )

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT
    168 MORE DAYS TO GO WOOHOO

Post Thanks / Like

DONT FORGET ABOUT MEALS

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's how I plan...

This is what I do (and I LOVE planning):

I make a list of park events and closings. Example...on Monday MK closes at 9 Spectromagic is at 7 and fireworks are at 8. Epcot closes at 9 and and Illuminations is at 8 etc...

Then I take a look at which park I'd like to be at. Example...I want to see Illuminations on Tuesday and see Spectromagic on Wednesday.

Then I look at the restaurants that appeal to our tastes (refer to menus on Intercot) and book the Dining Reservation if available. If what I want isn't available, I go for my next choice at that park or switch parks and days to get what I want.

Then I start to choose what time we want to get to the park. Example...If we had a late night do we really want to go to park open the next day? Or- I want to go on Toy Story Mania --let's get there at park open and go straight to it.

After I have the frame work laid out I fill in with items that I think look fun. Since we've been several times we've started hitting our "must-do's" first and then do things we've never done before.

I may be a little extreme, but I make up a spreadsheet to show the park hours and events so that if we change our plan because we wanted to stay longer I can easily see in one place what the rest of the week's park schedule looks like. I also put our reservation confirmation #s on it with the Dining hotline # so that if I need to cancel it is easily accessible. Also, when choosing which park to go to, take a good look at extra magic hours. If the park has extra magic hours it will tend to be busier - so you may want to go that particular park the day following extra magic hours.

What to skip? My son doesn't like roller coasters (YET) and won't sit still for a longer show. I try to go to rides that fit his interest first, then mine, then shows. Use longer sit down rides for some quiet time. We go back to our resort to rest or swim in the afternoon and go to a park for the fireworks. If we've had a really busy day (since we stay at Polynesian) we will get a snack and watch the fireworks from our room. It's a great way to end a long day.

I think what everyone has said is: rank the attractions and choose a what to do first and not necessarily a what not to do at all list.

Feel free to PM me if you want and have a great trip!!
    ~~~~~~Stephanie~~~~~~

December 3-7, 2010 Poly LVC
    April 13-18, 2009 Poly LVC
    Feb 8-11, 2008 Poly LVC
    March 07 - Poly LVC
    December 06 - Poly LVC
    October 05 - CR
    June 04 - Grosvenors
    March 02 - Off Site
    November 00 - CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you feel this will be your one and ONLY trip to WDW don't turn yourself into an exhausted mass of frazzled nerves.

Remember...you are on vacation...relax...enjoy.

It never ceases to amaze me when we see the families frantically dashing from one place to another like it is a race. How can doing that for a week (or 6 days) be fun?
    Vacation is a time to unwind and have a good time.

We learned the hard way how important it was not to lose sight of that when our DD was little.

As many people have commented, only your group can decide for yourselves what is a "must do" or a "no way" for you. That's part of the fun, experiencing the attractions and deciding what you did or didn't like.

Have fun and be sure to come back here and tell us how the trip went!!
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

Even though this is your 1st trip to the World, it probably won't be your last. With that in mind, DON'T make the mistake of thinking that you'll be able to do it all, and DON'T even try. You can read a hundred different posts about what you should and should not miss, and you'll get a hundred different answers (with the exception of 1 or 2 attractions). My advice, read and watch all you can about WDW and plan what you REALLY want to do the 1st time around. Once those are done, the rest is gravy. If you're staying on property and have park hopper options, make time for a little "down time" in between parks @ your resort. A cool swim or a nice little nap can do wonders!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy for you. Do your homework. This place is the size of a small city and you get tired and lost.
    Read tips from various on-line sites and books and memo them. Some will make living out of a suitcase easier and others will help your feet.
    Our family started the disney addiction when the younger was 12 and now we go when he is 18.
    Plenty of choices for all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guide for Kids

My 8 year old likes the Birnbaun Guide for Kids. It gets her excited about the planning phase. I have used the Unofficial Guide, Birnbaum, and Intercot to plan all our trips. We have been 5 times and planning our 6th visit for this June. Every trip has been different and wonderful, which is why we keep going back. Here are things I skipped for the first trip, but did the 2nd time that we felt was a waste of time.
    MK-Stitch's Great Escape(gross)
    HS-Sounds Dangerous(boring)
    AK-Flights of Wonder(neat, but too long, imo)
    EP-Honey, I Shrunk the Audience(too dated)
    Just my opinion.
    Have fun! I hope you have a magical vacation.

Only about twenty-five miles away from the most magical place on Earth
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those who say do what you want. Why skip attractions by not knowing if you like it? I say, do what you want this trip, so you know whether you want to do it or not next trip.

My only advice is that if you don't like loud noises, don't go on DINOSAUR.

Post Thanks / Like

DON"T forget to take pictures and video of everything you do. You'll love your trip so much that when you get back, you'll be wishing you had more pictures and home video of everything. It's the only thing that will satisfy those Disney cravings once you get back home.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002