Quantcast Disneyland Newbie!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disneyland Newbie!

So my family and I have long been huge Disneyworld fans, and have been too many times to count. However, we're moving close to Disneyland soon and are thinking we may give DLR a try. I'm wondering, as a DLR newbie, what should I expect in terms of the differences between WDW and DLR? How many days should we plan to stay there? What is California Adventures like? Basically, this girl knows nothing about DLR, but I'm looking forward to learning all about it! Thanks so much!!
    "Have a Magical Day"

WDW Obsessed since 1984!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Disneyland!

You will find a lot of similarities and differences from WDW. It is MUCH smaller than WDW. You can walk from one park to another. They are across from each other.

Disneyland offers a few attractions that WDW does not have: Matterhorn bobsleds, Mr. Toads wild ride, Indiana Jones Adventure (ride not a show), the original version of the Tiki Room(right next to the Dole Whips), Finding Nemo Submarines, New Orleans Square, Storybook Land Canals, Casey Jr. Train. I am sure I left something out.

California Adventure is going through a lot of changes right now. TSM is at Calif Adv. no fast passes though. My daughter's favorites are TSM, Maliboomer, California Screamin, and running around Redwood Creek (Brother Bear). There is also a Monsters Inc attraction.

Have a fun time!
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

DCA is still struggling to find itself, I think, and they're really working on updating it. There are a few rides there that are very enjoyable (Tower of Terror, Grizzle River Run - which is MUCH better than the Kali River water rider, Toy Story Mania) but for the most part when I go down there I pop over there for only a couple of hours to hit those, then go back to DL. One thing that I've noticed about DCA is that it's a hot park. There's a lot of cement and not a lot of shade. It's a nice place to go, especially in the afternoon with DL is crazy packed, but I would never spend a whole day there.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey There!
    Welcome to the West Coast. As others have said Disneyland is alot smaller than WDW. Thats a given. How many days you spend here really depends on how much you like to pace yourself. You can do DL in 2 days and still see everything that isnt to be missed. Aside from the obvious E-ticket attractions, there are a few things DH and I always do when we go to DL. We always have a Mint Julep, I dont remember these being at WDW. Super Yummy drink and safe for the kids. POTC is much better here and really is a whole different experience than at WDW.
    Depending on what time of year you are coming, you wont want to miss Capt EO. Its probably a little dated in terms of special effects, but it is a treasured memory of many DL diehards and worth what will be a long line.
    CA probably has more sight seeing than activities. There is a great "Water" attraction in "Its a Bug Life" section of the park. My DD loves playing in the water there and its a great place to go to let the kids have some fun while you sit and eat a frozen banana. It is a hot park as previous poster pointed out. It always seems humid to me. CA is home to the Aladdin show which is in its last year. This is such a good show. Oh! World of Color opens in the spring which from what I understand is going to be like Fantasmic on Steroids.
    If you go to DL, try to go without any preconceived ideas based on your WDW experiences. As hard as I am sure that is going to be, go there with the idea that you are a newbie and try to experience it that way.
    If you have more than 2 days to spend there, do so and take your time exploring both parks.
    Good Luck with your move!
    Adina
    DVC Since 2007 - AKL, BLT, VGC
    WDW Feb 2010 -BLT
    Poly - Feb 2007
    All Star Sports - Aug 2005
    DL Prem AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I hit DL for the first time in Aug 09. Loved it and can't wait to go back. One of these days I will finish my trip reports which I started under the title of First Timers to Disneyland. I finished up to Day 4, but still have Days 5, 6 & 7 to do. Even after having a 6 day pass, we still did not get to see everything. Due to bad planning and not reading on our part.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure if you visit you have a meal at the Blue Bayou. The boats from the Pirates of The Caribbean pass by as you dine.

Disneyland is still by far my favorite stand alone Theme Park.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Disneyland is still by far my favorite stand alone Theme Park.
    Ditto.. and I've given them all a fair shake.

Hi Patricia!!
    Tracey ºoº
    AKA Ðizneyana

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're BRAVER than you BELIEVE, and STRONGER than you SEEM, and SMARTER than you THINK" ~ Christopher Robin to Pooh

WDW - 2 times
    DLR - 400+ times
    Next up - ???

Are you D23?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dizneyana View Post
    Ditto.. and I've given them all a fair shake.
    You need to go to Tokyo DisneySea. It's INCREDIBLE!!!

For the OP, WDW and DLR have Disney as the common theme, but each resort has unique and wonderful offerings. I agree that Disneyland Park outshines the Magic Kingdom in just about every way. I've always loved DCA, but the new re-imagined park sounds great. Can't wait to visit. Have fun!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just like you and had only been and was a cast member in WDW. So when my hubby finally switched out our DVC points to go to DL I was beyond excited!!!
    I am also a HUGE Walt fan so if you are I would highly suggest booking the tour "A walk in Walts footsteps."
    You will LOVE it and it takes you into the entrance of Club 33. You can take pics on this tour which WDW does not allow.
    You will be amazed by how long POTC is there. It blows WDW's away! Blue Bayou's atmosphere is awesome!!! Definitely a must do!
    I would suggest getting the birnbaums book on Disneyland. Go through it and highlight anything and EVERYTHING that interests you!!
    If you have any questions let me know. We met a family on our tour that go every couple of months to DL and she was asking me what restaurants I was eating at. I told her and she was like my gosh you did your research! You picked the best!! I was so proud of myself. LOL
    Cali Adventure is more like MGM and some of Epcots rides mixed into one...then there is a very California side to it as well......Its a little all over the place if you ask me but I know they are re-doing this park for that reason alone. The Monsters Inc ride is here as well and is a must do since WDW does not have this.
    If you have any questions just give a shout out! Enjoy planning!!!!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: