Quantcast "Too young to remember"? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We first took our oldest when she was 2 and first took our youngest when she was 10 months. I wouldn't trade those fantastic trips for anything in the world! Go, have a wonderful time and ignore the people making stupid comments.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

My son is 2 and had been 3 times already. He talks about the trips and he does remember. Will he remember when he's 30? Probably not, but I have fabulous memories from these early trips and we will go many more times.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Go and enjoy! She may not remember, but you will and you'll have the photos to show her. We took my son just shy of 2 and he had fun. He loved the characters, with big hugs for Pooh, Tigger and Mickey. Does he remember, I don't think so, but I'll never forget him running to greet Pooh at The Crystal Palace. Another bonus is that under three, there's no admission!
    Kathy

Contemporary - 8/79
    Hotel Royal Plaza - 6/83
    Contemporary- 7/85
    Grand Floridian - 6/93
    Shades of Green - 9/99
    Contemporary - 9/03
    Shades of Green - 12/06
    Shades of Green - 5/07
    Shades of Green - 7/10
    Shades of Green - 7/11
    Next Trip??? Not soon enough!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My DD was only 20 months for her first trip. Does she remember it, not really but her Dad & I sure do. It was absolutely magical. We'll have those memories for the rest of our life. Go and enjoy every last minute of it!

8/11 CSR
    8/10 - Wilderness Lodge
    2009 CSR
    2009 Ft Wilderness Cabins
    2008 Polynesian
    2008 POR
    2007 CSR
    2007 OKW
    2006 CBR
    Many offsite trips...before kids

Post Thanks / Like

We first took my daughter to Disney World when she was 7 and I thought it was a wonderful age! However, the reason we took her for the first time at 7 was because we couldn't afford to travel before that time.

At that time, I thought I would never get back again and thought it night be foolish to take children who were too young to remember. As the number of trips we're taken to Disney World have multiplied over the years, and as logic has entered the equation, we came to realize there are many reasons to take children ....whenever....!

Perhaps you live close enough to make multiple trips or finances allow you to make multiple trips...perhaps you have multiple children (Would you always wait for your youngest to be old enough to remember? What about the magical memories of the oldest?)...perhaps...perhaps... well there are all sorts of possibilities.

If it pleases you to introduce your child to Disney World - whatever his or her age - do so!

Just last month, we traveled to Disney with my brother's family and their two year old as we never had the opportunity to make such a trip with a toddler! While there were moments and every parent of a 2-year old knows what that means - it was, nevertheless, a very magical trip and I'm so glad I got to see Disney World through those 2 year old eyes!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you don't take her to the local carnival or zoo or aquarium until she's old enough to remember either!

My nephew was still in my sister's belly the first time he went and when he ACTUALLY went back at 3.5 he remembered seeing it all before. Now you know he didn't really see it because he didn't have a womb with a view, but because we talked about that trip with his older brother, he FELT like he'd been before. So your daughter will "remember" the trip through the pix and your memories. Go and enjoy and tell others that it's your decision when to go.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

My parents took me when I was five and I was still too young to remember anything. The only memories I have retained have been those from pictures. If we didn't have pictures, I wouldn't remember anything. I think your child will have fun at the parks but that doesn't mean when they're older they're going to remember that specific trip.
    Carribean Beach '95
    Wilderness Lodge '96 '97 '98
    All Star Music '00 '01 '04
    Off-site '03
    All Star Movie '05 '06
    All Star Music 07'
    Pop Century with DBF Sep 08'
    Pop Century with family March 09'

Next trip: Disney and Universal Studios April 2015!

PINK!

Post Thanks / Like

I first went at 11. Don't remember much. I did retain the emotions tho. Joy is a good enough reason for a trip. Iconic moments like the Grand
    Canyon and Yellowstone require a different perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

My son's 1st trip was at 6 months old. HE won't remember it, but DH and I sure will. The look on his face when he first saw Mickey was priceless. And he was able to get his 1st haircur at the Harmony Barber Shop. We are planning another trip for when he is 20 months right now.

This craziest thing I have ever heard is a friend who takes her kids for their first trip when they turn three. Yes, a few weeks AFTER they turn three, so she has to pay for them. Why not take them a few weeks BEFORE they turn three so they are free? They aren't going to remember anymore of the trip just because they are two or three weeks older! Oh well, to each his own...

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the $$$$ to do it, go for it. When you talk to non Disney people if you tell them you are going to Disney for your daughter (she) then yea 'what will she remember' is a fair response. If you say you are doing it for 'we' (family) instead of 'she' then what could someone say?
    You shouldn't have to justify your position anyway.
    My kids, I mean we, go about 3x a year, so we get it.
    2008 @ VWL Turkey Day 8 day Adventure
    2008 Oct. @ BCV can we not get rained out of MNSSHP?????
    2008 Easter @ BCV & AKV 8 Days of Joy!
    2007 Nov. DVC going home to VWL & MVMCP gotta do it twice!
    2007 Sept. DVC going home to BCV & 1st MNSSHP boo!
    2006 DEC. POLY MKV. Concierge & MVMCP

Post Thanks / Like

Its so magical whenever you go. I went when I was under a year old and those pictures that my mom took were pictures that became my favorite things. There are pictures of the characters trying to wake me up during the parade. The stories that my mom tell me from my first trip are amazing.
    We had a family reunion there when my niece was 18 months old and my nephew was 2. Their faces were the most enjoyable things in the world and something that I will never forget.
    We found out I was pregnant with my son when we were in Disneyland California so he was there even before birth! And then at 7 months we took him to MK since his uncle got married in Disney. That time was sooo magical. He LOVES Mickey and Minnie Mouse. Our pictures of him grinning from ear to ear are priceless. I know those are going to be his favorite pictures as he grows up just like mine were for me.
    We went back with his grandparents a week after his 1st birthday to celebrate his first birthday there. Nothing can take the place of memories that are being made and pictures make great stories and become treasures for them as they get older.
    I went back every year with my family when I was little and I can remember lots of the trips when I was little...maybe not my first trip but I remember a lot of them. It was all my siblings and i talked about. Its all I still talk about LOL I plan on doing this for my son.
    All those people that think that are telling you that its a waste of time are missing out on true magic.
    I will never forget the look on my 7 month olds face when he first layed eyes on Mickey. It was the absolute sweetest thing and it was all caught on camera.
    You will NEVER FORGET IT!!!!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

My dad took me for the first time when I was about that age. He was all excited about it and apparently I had no interest in anything going on or any of the characters, I just wanted to play on the sidewalk. In hindsight he says that he would never take a child until they're old enough to remember things.

The key though is to just do what's right for you and your family. If going now is going to preclude going for awhile for whatever reason (finances, etc.) then I would say to wait until they're old enough to remember it, but if you can afford it go for it.

Worry less about what other people think, it's your family's lives and happiness that's important, not the approval or opinions or anyone interested enough to give theirs.

Post Thanks / Like

Our son is 7 months old and we've already had this discussion. We will probably not take him to WDW until he is at least 5. We do want him to remember the trip. However, since we are close to Disneyland, we will take him there much sooner.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh! I can't even tell you how irritating I find the people that feel that they have a right to comment on how you spend your vacation & your money! I have so many in my world that feel that's it's ok to make derrogatory comments about our repeated trips to WDW! Why do these people think it's ok?

I planned our 1st WDW trip form the time my second DS was born but we weren't able to go until he was 4. Does he remember, who knows, I don't know how much I actually remember, but that's why you take pictures right? To remember things/events! Who can remember everything? We still love our trips to WDW, when we start talking vaca, my DS's (now 12 & 14) 1st response is WDW! But that 1st trip when they were 4 & 6, and all the magic really lived - priceless! Don't let anyone take this away from you!

I too agree, I get the most negative responses from those that have never been to WDW, those that don't take vacations, or those people that are generally unhapy people to start with! Go make memories and take lots of pictures! They will all be priceless to you now and also for her later!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What a great, supportive group! Thanks for the encouragement. Someone (a relative) told me the other day that I should be puting the money from the horse I sold into a college fund for her instead. I'll do that, too. But for now, I just really feel like this is something that we really need to do for her. And you're right, it will be her first of many trips. I plan on taking her as often as I can afford to!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pepefan View Post
    Wow! What a great, supportive group! Thanks for the encouragement. Someone (a relative) told me the other day that I should be puting the money from the horse I sold into a college fund for her instead. I'll do that, too. But for now, I just really feel like this is something that we really need to do for her. And you're right, it will be her first of many trips. I plan on taking her as often as I can afford to!
    Family vacations are important parts of growing up. I always felt bad for classmates and friends who never had time away with their families. It's a learning experience, not just for what you can discover about the world away from home, but for growing as a family unit responding to new circumstances together. I'm not saying don't save for college. You have time for that, but it creeps up on you before you know it. But I think vacation time is equally important. Tune out the critics and do what you need to do for you and for your family. Life is short.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

the first time we took our daughter she was 10 months old she does not remember it but my DH and I remember her first ride on small world the look on her face was well worth the trip, her second trip was when she was 16 months old and let me tell you she is almost 4 now and is still talking about things she saw and did on that trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESMOM View Post
    Your daughter may not remember, but you will!

And that's what you should tell them.

Just because she may not remember the trip does not mean that you should deprive the other members of your family (including yourself) of the great memories that you could have there.

People who say these types of comments are frequently those who don't take a vacation or vacation at the same place year after year and then criticize you when make return trips to WDW ("You're going there again?") Please feel free to annoy them about their vacation choices as much as they annoy you. You probably won't be able to stop them from making comments, so I'd suggest turning the tables on them. You may get a lot of satisfaction by annoying the heck out of them. You may leave the conversation with a smile on your face rather than being irritated.

My SIL was three during the one and only time that she went to Disneyland, back in 1958. She still remembers it and she's 55 now.

We went to WDW a year ago when my son was 17 months and he still remembers having breakfast with Pooh and Tigger. He may not remember it when he's an adult, but he remembers it now.

One side comment. If she's two, then you might want to prepare her for meeting characters by telling her that (insert character here) is really as big as Mommy and Daddy and that they are seeing a picture, doll, etc. of them. It may help. It worked for my DS and also for the daughter or a friend. Neither of them have a character phobia.
    Last edited by diz_girl; 01-25-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: typo
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I hear the whole "too young to remember" thing ALL the time. I plan to take my kids to WDW on their 1st birthdays as my parents did when I was growing up. It doesn'y matter if they remember or not. My parents brought me BUT I also have tons of pictures and video and my parents memories of things that happened on the trips. I get to look at those pictures and think, "Wow, I was at WDW when I was 1 years old!" and get to see how much WDW has changed since the early '80's. Here's a few pics from my first time:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...4/scan0026.jpg

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...4/scan0022.jpg

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...4/scan0009.jpg

I will do the same thing for my kids, take TONS of pics and video and tell them all about the trips we took when they were little. So, don't listen to people with that opinion. Enjoy your time with your kiddies no matter what!
    4 trips from 83-85 Buena Vista Palace
    6/90 CB
    12/91 CB
    6/93 DL
    6/94 DL
    2/95 DL
    12/95 WL
    11/96 Disney Institute
    5/98 DL
    5/00 DL
    11/02 ASM
    9/04 PO RS
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 Off grounds
    5/06 PO RS
    5/07 PC
    4/08 PC
    11/08 PC
    10/09 PC
    Coming 4/10 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had known about this "kids don't remember anything until they are 5 or 6" thing. Just think how much money and effort could have been saved by just locking them in a bare room until they were 7 and knowing you didn't hurt their development and they wouldn't remember what you did anyway.
    Dave aka: Altair
    "Even though they're graceful when swimmin', it's hard to believe sailors thought they were women" - Manatee area, the Living Seas

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: