Quantcast Is Brett Farve playing next season - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDER View Post
    Scar if your into soccer i am so looking forward to the soccer world cup when England play you
    i think the banter is going to be brilliant
    I am somewhat. After Baseball and American Football, I just don't have the time to dedicate myself to watching much other sports. But, during The World Cup (and some qualifying) I love watching and rooting for Team USA. I do find "Your Football" to be a tremendous sport. Better than Hockey or Basketball (but not as good as Curling. )

1950 Mate!

In Europe our soccer club teams have players from all over the world in our domestic cups /trophies but we dont call the Winners World Champions ? are we doing something wrong ? lol
    I think the difference is that there are several leagues in Europe that are all very good - Germany, England, Spain, Italy, maybe others. With the 4 major sports here, there is no comparison anywhere else (including Japan Mel. )
    Jeff

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post

1950 Mate!

)
    Dont forget you beat us in a friendly in 1993 mate

Have to say your game has come on in leaps and bounds over the years . We have quite a few USA players playing in English division such as Landon Donavan ( who scored for Everton last week ) as well as Tim Howard

You were brilliant against Spain last year
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlawler View Post
    Agreed to let you have your chuckles, after all with your dismal weather, by comparrison, you need something to brighten your days.
    I love our weather mate ...its changes from day to day just like Brett Farve
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i see your point in a way about American teams with players all over the world = WORLD CHAMPIONS

However on your logic

In Europe our soccer club teams have players from all over the world in our domestic cups /trophies but we dont call the Winners World Champions ? are we doing something wrong ? lol
    The argument that the Americans have players from all over the world, so whatever team wins can call themselves 'World Champions' is a bunch of hooey. They call themselves 'World Champions' because it makes them feel better about themselves. And I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more merchandise.

At least MLB, the NBA and the NHL have teams located outside the U.S., therefore they term 'world champions' could loosely apply to them, but the NFL doesn't. At least with olympic hockey and baseball (until 2008), or with the World Cup, you have country vs. country and a real 'world' champion.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

... as well as Tim Howard
    A local boy... township next to mine.

I love our weather mate ...its changes from day to day just like Brett Farve
    Well, it took a while, but we finally got the thread back on track.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

That didn't last long.
    Quote Originally Posted by diz_girl View Post
    At least with olympic hockey and baseball (until 2008), or with the World Cup, you have country vs. country and a real 'world' champion.
    Don't lump baseball in with those others. The Olympics were college kids. And the Baseball World Cup was (and is) a joke. An exhbition.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

The argument that the Americans have players from all over the world, so whatever team wins can call themselves 'World Champions' is a bunch of hooey. They call themselves 'World Champions' because it makes them feel better about themselves. And I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more merchandise.

At least MLB, the NBA and the NHL have teams located outside the U.S., therefore they term 'world champions' could loosely apply to them, but the NFL doesn't. At least with olympic hockey and baseball (until 2008), or with the World Cup, you have country vs. country and a real 'world' champion.
    Diz _Girl has it the nail on the head on this debate ( which includes Brett Farve as he won the superbowl with the packers and was classed as a world champion )....ummm i think we got away with it SCAR

To call yourself a world champion its country v country or competitor v competitor representing their country ...

It took a womans touch to sort us boys out

diz-girl ...I thankyou
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmm I'll just ignore this, it will be better for everyone.
    Loads of trips since 1974...

Post Thanks / Like

Diz _Girl has it the nail on the head on this debate ( which includes Brett Farve as he won the superbowl with the packers and was classed as a world champion )....ummm i think we got away with it SCAR

To call yourself a world champion its country v country or competitor v competitor representing their country ...

It took a womans touch to sort us boys out

diz-girl ...I thankyou
    Of course the fact that she agreed with you did not hurt huh???? The fact that you are both wrong has not escaped me however.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Gueli
    My reply was a leg pull just like yours

So ...yes we were GREAT once when we used to run the world before the USA did
    So does that make us minor briton , before we grew up ?

Which Rugby player was that i would love to know ... There was once a thread here about who was fitter a Rugby Player or American football player a year or so back ..It was one of the funniest threads i have ever been involved in... ( i wont start it up again )

The National was a total wind up .... You know deep in your heart you cant defend the term " World Champions " when its only american teams playing

Sure we can, we are arrogant americans, after all.

As to the rugby player, I do not know off hand, I read it years & years ago, probably when the NFL started to experiemnt with playing in the UK. As to who is more fit - my answer would be based on the individual, not a collective (because I cannot seriously think that a 350 lb lineman could outlast a 200 lb rugby player in tests of endurance, where as in a strength test they would dominate).

Seriously though
    NFL Europe was a farce . When we had the London Monarchs and it was being played at Wembley Stadium . The mistake they made was to charge over the top prices when they should have charged cheap prices to get rear ends on seats to gather support .

We get live games shown back in the UK and it has a massive following as you can now see when your various teams come over to play each year .
    Your point is well taken. I would agree, they would be better to sell tickets at a loss to build up a fan base.

And as a fan, I thank you for spending your hard earned ruples on the NFL merchandise.
    Hey by the way, if you see any NY Jets as AFC champion T-shirts, let me know , I mean they do sell them in some of those backwards countries like yours, don't they ?

(and for those of you not getting the joke - the UK is neither backwards nor do they use ruples)

and to continue- isn't this a thread about the LEGEND, The QB, the man in the sears commercials- Brett Favre? are we still talking about him ?

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning America

Of course the fact that she agreed with you did not hurt huh???? The fact that you are both wrong has not escaped me however.
    Greenlawler well Diz_Girl is correct and is the voice of courageous reason and interlect . Why shouldnt i agree with a fellow scholar :beer

Quote Originally Posted by gueli View Post
    So does that make us minor briton , before we grew up ?

And as a fan, I thank you for spending your hard earned ruples on the NFL merchandise.
    Hey by the way, if you see any NY Jets as AFC champion T-shirts, let me know , I mean they do sell them in some of those backwards countries like yours, don't they ?

(and for those of you not getting the joke - the UK is neither backwards nor do they use ruples)
    Gueli mate , none taken ..as i said this is all in good humour and i love the banter and the wind ups

Theres nothing i like more in buying merchandise from the NATIONAL Football League and help propping up your economy . I mean the old mother country still loves the USA
    And i find Jets Tee shirts make lovely doormats and cat litter liners for our house

To reply to your question concerning Minor Britain ... We were known as Great Britain when we ruled the world .

Then we sort of copied your logic
    We were
    England , United Kingdom Then made a huge leap to GREAT Britain

Just like your NFL

Divisional Champions ....Conferance Champions ...Then the HUGE leap to WORLD Champions

USA was not minor Britain but a lovely back yard for us Brits were one day we would inspire you to make Disneyland as England had no more room as it was taken up by too many castles lol

I hope this answers this history lesson Gueli ? hehe ( sorry i have run out of figures )

Now lads ..Has Brett Farve signed for the Vikings yet ?? :
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I have been following this closely and have to agree that I always thought the term "World Champions" to be extremly excessive.

I think that all bases have been covered here and it's great to see we can all have a good laugh about this.

I must say that Diz Girl's remarks were absolutely bang on and refreshing to see.

Bring on 12th June!!!!

By the way considering the season Favre had I think it would be great to see him again next season but let's not go through all the will I or won't I thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Reservoir Dog View Post
    I have been following this closely and have to agree that I always thought the term "World Champions" to be extremly excessive.

I think that all bases have been covered here and it's great to see we can all have a good laugh about this.

I must say that Diz Girl's remarks were absolutely bang on and refreshing to see.

Bring on 12th June!!!!

By the way considering the season Favre had I think it would be great to see him again next season but let's not go through all the will I or won't I thing.
    Wow so shocked anothe Brit agrees with Raider. Apparently the term bang on means delusional.

Post Thanks / Like

Diz_Girl is correct and is the voice of courageous reason and interlect . Why shouldnt i agree with a fellow scholar :beer
    I like the sound of that - 'The Voice of Courageous Reason and Intellect'. Maybe I'll put that on my signature. I hope that you don't mind if I corrected the spelling from 'interlect', unless it was intentional or the beer.

Anyway, in response to another post, I didn't say or imply that Americans are arrogant, it's just that people say that they are 'world champions' rather than national champions to feel better about themselves. Whether it stems from an inferiority complex or a superiority complex is debatable. It's just human nature to do it.

Also, I meant to say World Cup soccer is a real world championship, not baseball. Sorry for the confusion

Anyway, aren't we a little off topic?

Back to the topic of 'Is Brett Favre playing next season?' While seeing someone my age playing well in the NFL makes me feel better about myself, the correct answer is "Who cares?"
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the sound of that - 'The Voice of Courageous Reason and Intellect'. Maybe I'll put that on my signature. I hope that you don't mind if I corrected the spelling from 'interlect', unless it was intentional or the beer.

Anyway, in response to another post, I didn't say or imply that Americans are arrogant, it's just that people say that they are 'world champions' rather than national champions to feel better about themselves. Whether it stems from an inferiority complex or a superiority complex is debatable. It's just human nature to do it.

Also, I meant to say World Cup soccer is a real world championship, not baseball. Sorry for the confusion

Anyway, aren't we a little off topic?

Back to the topic of 'Is Brett Favre playing next season?' While seeing someone my age playing well in the NFL makes me feel better about myself, the correct answer is "Who cares?"

I find it hard to believe someone can be so wrong about so many things and still have public opinion on their side....wait a minute....sounds like American politics....

But I digress. Yes we are off topic. To answer your question correctly.... allot of people care whether you do or not. If you do not, why bother posting on this thread about Brett Favre?

And not to rub salt in the wound but do you really think some guys sat in a smoke filled office fifty years ago and said "Hmmm what do we call the Super Bowl Winner? Lets call them World Champs becuase we need to feel better about ourselves? We are millionaires but we need to defer that title to these athletes, to overcome the inferiority complex we are all suffering from in America."

Complete and utter balderdash.

Look the term World Champion refering to Basketball and Football is in FACT from an obvious source and has nothing to do with complexes.

When the NFL started it was the only football league in the world! As time progressed the AFL came along. So when the leagues decided to play a game to determine the ultimate winner....what would they call it?

1. They were the ONLY Football leagues in the WORLD.

2. The National and American titles would only imply that they had won their perspective league. Example if the Packers won the Super Bowl and were declared National Champions that would at least to those owners imply they were the NFL champs and not the AFL champs. I know this sounds fairly odd but to understand this you must understand the culture of the competition that exsisted between the two leagues. Thus the term World Champion. Arrogent..... yes
    Appropriate....yes
    No other leagues in the world at the time.

3. When the NBA came along the same thing happened as the upstart ABA tried to knock them off. Once again low and behold there was no other professional league in the world.

If I am the only person in the world who gets paid to shot put garden gnomes then I am the world champion gnome putter BECAUSE no one else does it professionally.

4. Once the label started it was traditional, and my earlier arguements still apply.

Good enough?

Post Thanks / Like

If I am the only person in the world who gets paid to shot put garden gnomes then I am the world champion gnome putter BECAUSE no one else does it professionally.
    What chanel can I catch that on?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

"
    Diz_Girl It was meant to be "intellect" and the beer smilies for some weird reason didnt come out . Therefore i shall now be known as
    "The typist of unfortunate spelling" !
    By all means use it as a signature cos the way Greenlawlers (bless him ) going i think one will need it
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Diz_Girl It was meant to be "intellect" and the beer smilies for some weird reason didnt come out . Therefore i shall now be known as
    "The typist of unfortunate spelling" !
    By all means use it as a signature cos the way Greenlawlers (bless him ) going i think one will need it
    I am just waiting for reason to win the day, and a actual couterpoint other than speculation and wild theory. Apparently I am going to wait a long while

Post Thanks / Like

Wow so shocked anothe Brit agrees with Raider. Apparently the term bang on means delusional.
    Greenlawler my good friend from across the pond

Sorry am i missing something here ?
    Your shocked that a fellow Brit agreed with me
    Well i was absolutley shocked and stunned when a couple of amercians agreed with you . I never saw that one comming

Whatever the historyonics of how the NFL started and your views of what is classed as a World Champion ....Its how its perceived and your view . And your view is something what i respect . " It makes the world a more interesting place "

Look lets just say that football ( soccer ) rugby ,cricket and golf basically started in the UK . ..These games have managed to expand to other countries to which they have their own domestic leagues and a proper world cup where each country compete against each other .
    Theres even in some cases a World Club competition where different countries teams compete against each other .

Now that is why its seen across the pond the NFL with only American teams competing looks so funny when the winners call themselves World Champions .

I could understand if the NFL said " right were going to have 6 more teams and there going to be non american competing for the superbowl "
    The teams that are non american could have all americans in it but the point is ,it would be counted as a WORLD club sport

Thats why it generally percieved as a quirk across the pond because we just dont have ths situation .

Now for the bomb and wind up ...
    I mean its not our fault you havent been able to promote the sport world wide at grass roots is it ? haha

If Brett Farve doesnt want his contract renewed he would make a great ambassador of your sport
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

Greenlawler my good friend from across the pond

Sorry am i missing something here ?
    Your shocked that a fellow Brit agreed with me
    Well i was absolutley shocked and stunned when a couple of amercians agreed with you . I never saw that one comming

Whatever the historyonics of how the NFL started and your views of what is classed as a World Champion ....Its how its perceived and your view . And your view is something what i respect . " It makes the world a more interesting place "

Look lets just say that football ( soccer ) rugby ,cricket and golf basically started in the UK . ..These games have managed to expand to other countries to which they have their own domestic leagues and a proper world cup where each country compete against each other .
    Theres even in some cases a World Club competition where different countries teams compete against each other .

Now that is why its seen across the pond the NFL with only American teams competing looks so funny when the winners call themselves World Champions .

I could understand if the NFL said " right were going to have 6 more teams and there going to be non american competing for the superbowl "
    The teams that are non american could have all americans in it but the point is ,it would be counted as a WORLD club sport

Thats why it generally percieved as a quirk across the pond because we just dont have ths situation .

Now for the bomb and wind up ...
    I mean its not our fault you havent been able to promote the sport world wide at grass roots is it ? haha

If Brett Farve doesnt want his contract renewed he would make a great ambassador of your sport
    Good points. I totally understand why you guys scoff at this. I never meant to imply that I thought you had no right to do this...however you asked the original question.....I simply have tried to explain the logic behind it...which I think is somewhat sound.

Now I ceded your points... it is arrogent and quircky I also agree that you will possibly never come around to agreeing with it. But you should at least acknowledge the fact that I attempted to answer the original question, which was why we do it.
    "Why do we call it a World Championship?" I gave you the explanation and the answer. The main reason is the AFL and NFL merger it was as simple as finding a name both were happy with, plus the money etc... You may not like the answer but it is THE answer. If you were the best football player in the world you would play in the NFL case closed, and if you won the NFL trophey you would be World Champion no matter how many of your fellow Brits laughed at you.

I would guess this it it. I have spent way to much time and effort explaining..and you can have the last word....that is unless I am provoked

The funny thing is....
    I think you are right we should maybe change the titles, but I do understand the logic behind them, and I do know the NFL and NBA represent the top levels of their sport...so what would the purpose be for changing the names.....so some Europeans would think nicer of us? I guess.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: