Quantcast Marathon training

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marathon training

Hey everyone!
    I'm on my college's track team and am planning on heading to WDW for spring break. While there I am supposed to do my workouts (usually 6 miles of total running every day). I am staying in the pop hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions for places I could run/train at. I'm hoping I can do it somewhere close to the hotel without having to pay extra to go to a gym. Any comments would certainly help.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Marathon training

Go to Disneyrunning.com for maps of all the trails around resorts at WDW. Have fun, save time to play!
    CB 2007
    BWI 2008
    YC 2009
    BWI Innkeepers Club 2010
    BC Christmas 2011
    BWI Christmas 2012
    ??? June 2013

Post Thanks / Like

What resort are you staying at? Wilderness Lodge has trails (mostly terrain) that connect to Fort Wilderness. POP has some nice trails along the lake there.

There's people always running around the resorts!

Don't forget, Disney has marathons of their own! I've done 1 full and 3 halves. My 4th half is next weekend!
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

We're staying at POP, and thanks a bunch! These maps will really help when I'm down there.

Post Thanks / Like

do the marathons they have down there go through the parks or around the resorts at all?

Post Thanks / Like

Do they ever! The WDW and Princess half marathons run through Epcot and MK, while the WDW full marathon runs through all 4 parks! The newest event, Disney's Wine and Dine half marathon will most likely be run from the ESPN Wide World of Sports to AK, MGM(DHS), and finish at Epcot!

I am now a race snob, and will only run Disney races!

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. I have run the full marathon once, the Princess twice, and the Disneyland Half once (registered for it again this year!).
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

ok, so I just set a goal for the princess 1/2, now what? I don't even know Where to begin, walking?
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I would also love to hear any tips offered for training.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysEars View Post
    ok, so I just set a goal for the princess 1/2, now what? I don't even know Where to begin, walking?
    Do you have an ipod/iphone? There is a podcast called "couch to 5k". It'll get you up to a bit over 3 miles in a month. After that, you slowly add about 1/2 mile per week until you are up to a 6-7 mile training run. This is the most you would do prior to the actual marathon. If you can run 7 miles, you can do 13.

Check Amazon for books. There are a few that outline programs for 1/2 marathon training schedules and such.

And remember, you can walk during the Princess 1/2. You don't have to run the entire thing.

I would love to do this run, but a HUGE problem for me is the rule that you can't listen to music (or even HAVE headphones on) during it. I can't run without listening to something. It's an unnecessary rule too. My sister ran the NYC and San Francisco marathons, and she listened to music, as did about everyone else. And these are MUCH larger (people wise) events.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I would love to do this run, but a HUGE problem for me is the rule that you can't listen to music (or even HAVE headphones on) during it. I can't run without listening to something. It's an unnecessary rule too. My sister ran the NYC and San Francisco marathons, and she listened to music, as did about everyone else. And these are MUCH larger (people wise) events.
    OK, that just burst my bubble. Seriously?

I do have the C25K program on my iPod and I began the program but got shin splints so I am not doing any jogging right now.

But no music? I just don't know if I could do it either. My immediate thoughts are that the scenery may by a nice substitute, but I'm not convinced.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    OK, that just burst my bubble. Seriously?
    Yep. My sister and I almost signed up for it, until we read that in the rules. It's supposedly "for the safety of the runners." Whatever. If it was that much a concern, larger marathons all over the country would have the same rule...

I'd be okay running the smaller runs in the parks, though, without music. There's enough to look at to keep entertained. I know there are a series of in park 5k runs prior to the marathon (or half marathon) itself. I think they are in AK and/or Epcot.

But, for the princess 1/2 marathon, there is NO WAY that the scenery is enough. It's mostly running along the roads with NOTHING to look at but other runners. I couldn't do it without some motivation music.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any idea about running near Pop. When I go to WDW I like to run the trail from the WL to FW, there are some loops in FW that can add some distance to your training. Someone tipped me off to running around the lake that connects Epcot to the Disney Studios, goes by the YC/BC, BW Dolphin, etc.

When I go in January I'm hoping to run from the Poly to the CR. I might have to take a boat ride to the WL to make it interesting. I guess I'll call that interval training.

I posted a similar question a while ago: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...ute+Poly+trail

When it comes right down to it, WDW is not the greatest place to run IMHO. All of the running routes are really just a bunch of short walking trails linked together. The maps they give you at all of the hotels are, for me, WAY too short. WDW is designed to be accessed by bus, car, monorail, but not by walking or running. I'd like to run from the MK to Epcot, but you just can't do it unless it is Marathon Weekend. My solution, don't go to WDW if you have to get in a 16-20 mile training run. 3-5, you'll probably be just fine.

Good luck with your training!
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

Just so you have an idea of how things go w/ Disney, those warnings are there to "cover" Disney legally. I have run several of the 1/2 marathons (including when they were combined with the full marathon), and the no ipod/music rule is NOT enforced. I daresay that the rule is completely ignored. And for me that was/is an issue as I am a "rule follower." I'm not trying to tell you how to skirt the rules, I'm giving you facts from my experiences.
    Frank

DVC Owner
    BWV, BCV, SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Just so you have an idea of how things go w/ Disney, those warnings are there to "cover" Disney legally. I have run several of the 1/2 marathons (including when they were combined with the full marathon), and the no ipod/music rule is NOT enforced. I daresay that the rule is completely ignored. And for me that was/is an issue as I am a "rule follower." I'm not trying to tell you how to skirt the rules, I'm giving you facts from my experiences.
    Thanks for the info. I'm a "rule follower" too. For me, the fact that it IS a rule, means that I wouldn't even try it, because of the chance of being told to put it away. Then, what would I do with it? And, I can't run without music. Period. That rule was enough to discourage me and my sister from signing up for that particular race. No huge loss, though, as my sister is officially done running distance. She just had her second knee surgery and her doctor's orders were "no more marathons". She's retired. And, she was the one trying to make ME do the run with her.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

If your worried about being bored in a Disney run, join one of the many Clif pace groups. There are groups for many anticipated finish times. I was not only entertained but also kept on track & properly hydrated the entire time. I would join a group again in a minute.
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

you can use your ipod on those runs. under the rules it says they are not recommended. if you look at pictures and youtube videos of the race, you'll see that most people have their ipods with you.

i'm running the princess half in feb and absolutely will have my ipod with me for those times that i need an extra push!

don't let the ipod "rule" deter you from running the race! go for it!!!
    1/07 - POP : 1/08 - POR : 9/08 - POFQ :3/09 - POFQ : 1/10 - POFQ : 9/10 - BWV First Trip Home! : 12/10 - SSR : 1/11 - THV!!