Quantcast Where would YOU want to live? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad you can't stay where your at...Disneyland is so close!

I would have to choose the warm sunny one, DC is just too cold for me!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I have to disagree with this generalization. There bad schools and school districts in Florida, the same way there are bad schools and school districts in any part of the country. But there are some very good ones too.
    Absolutely Beth! I disagree as well. Both my boys are in excellent schools. We were nervous after they'd been in Dept. of Defense schools their entire school years and we couldn't be more pleased.

Post Thanks / Like

I lived in Miami (not quite Ft. Lauderdale I know) for three years and like anywhere else it has its pluses and minuses.

It seems like a lot of people who swear off South Florida do so because of the language issue. That's probably a whole 'nother discussion, but people who only speak English can easily find it frustrating to live or visit there. I speak Spanish moderately well and never had a problem, but I would hear constantly from friends or friends of my parents who would be in Miami and come back calling it "3rd world" (literally their words) and I can't help but feel that there's some sort of xenophobia in that view. There's nothing 3rd world about it, there are plenty of cultural opportunities if you choose to pursue them. Sure it's not DC in that regard, but few other places in the country are. There are museums, there's little Havana, there's the Jamaican Jerk Festival and tons of other things. Sometimes 'culture' is more than museums.

You mention that your husband speaks Spanish so he'll love it. If you don't know it you'll learn it. There are plenty of great schools, I went to grad school with many people who were products of the Florida public school system and living down here now I know many more. They don't come out any 'dumber' than kids anywhere else in the country, those generalizations are just plain wrong.

You know what it's like to deal with traffic coming from Southern Cali so that's not an issue. I think you'd really enjoy the south Florida area.

Post Thanks / Like

Miami! Beach! Closer to Disney! Beach! Closer to Disney!
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDog View Post
    I found South Florida to be culturally dry when it came to educational opportunities. Very few museums and so forth, compared to what I am used to in PA.
    I couldn't agree more. I love the cultural Diversity ,but s Florida is severely lacking in these areas.

To the op, I hear that Weston, pembroke pines and davie are much better than my neck of the woods as fars as schools and people. Good luck with your move!
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    It seems like a lot of people who swear off South Florida do so because of the language issue.
    So that we do not get into an off topic back and forth, all I will say...

I will respectfully disagree.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I have lived in MD most of my life and although it does have it's good points, I'd take South Florida if given the choice. If your husband is working in Ft Lauderdale you could always live in an area slightly north of there like Boca Raton. We have family in Boca and it is quite nice and safe.
    Traffic can be a little congested in south florida but the DC Beltway is a nightmare. DC does have great things going for it, there are so many cultural things, parks, museums etc. but South Florida has those wonderful winters. WE are moving to central Florida this fall but have actually toyed with South Florida as we love the Boca area as well.
    Like other people have said, there are bad schools everywhere so depending where you live that could just as easily happen in the DC area as Florida. I have heard that as far as Florida is concerned that Boca Raton is rated the #2 place to live for families(Windermere was ranked #1) Can't remember where I read the article so I don't have a link for you.
    come visit Sam's memorial site
    http://sam-wood.memory-of.com

Sponsor the Celebrating Sam Team and help us Light the Night again in 2007!

Post Thanks / Like

I live close to Balt-Wash area, and I'll tell you this-you better have a high paying job to live in a decent neighborhood. My aunt lives in Carroll Co., MD, in a brick rancher built in '77 on two acres, and it just appraised for $550,000. There isn't anything fancy about it, but it's close to the beltway.
    All-Star Sports

Let's Go.........Mountaineers !!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: