Quantcast Change to Refillable Mug System?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Change to Refillable Mug System?

A friend sent me today a patent application filed by WDW for a machine that would, in the words of the application, be a "token based self-vending machine for beverages and snacks."

From what he understands, this system (no time table on implementation, btw) is going to be used to close the loophole on refillable mugs--an issue of great discussion on many Disney fan sites, ours included. The basic idea is that you could purchase the unlimited refills and it would be keyed to your "key to the world" card, like the DDP, and you would insert this card each time before filling. Or, if you're purchasing a drink individually you'd be given a token at the cash register when you pay that you would insert. The idea is also that you could use your DDP snack plan at vending machines with this system.

Don't know if this will see the light of day or not, but it seems Disney is at least working to close the loophole of folks using the mugs over multiple trips (or even using their own mugs from home) which has been such a source of irritation for those who follow the rules.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As much as I hate to see something like this happen, I'm sure it won't take long before someone finds a way (or ways) to get around it.

I do have concerns about this though -- what about those who get CS meals, or even just drinks, with no intention of ever buying the refillable mug - They just want their drink with their meal? Currently, they are given a hot/cold cup and allowed unlimited refills while they are in the food court. Would they now get a 'token' good for one fill and maybe one or two refills? Or are all the counters in the food court going to have to have their own fountains to dispense drinks with meals?

I don't like the number of people who currently try to beat the mug system, and succeed, but I can't see this type of thing being a very good answer.

IMHO (which is currently worthless!!! LOL)
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Would this be similar to the souvenir mug policy in use at the water parks- you scan the bar code, allowing you to fill your cup?
    It sounds like the coin system would be a bit cumbersome , and more expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't answer those two questions. This wasn't an official Disney release, just a patent application, So the only info I could gather was what I was told (not much) and what I read on the application. I know they often refine things after they submit the patent app. My guess is they see a fairly big revenue stream going away with folks using their own mugs and they're looking for a way to stop it.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    Would this be similar to the souvenir mug policy in use at the water parks- you scan the bar code, allowing you to fill your cup?
    It sounds like the coin system would be a bit cumbersome , and more expensive.
    Ive hears that the water park system works based on the day of the week, not necessarily the date. Meaning there are Monday cups, Tuesday cups, etc. I haven't confirmed this though.

Don't confuse a token with an actual coin.

Disney will also not spend more than they stand to make, by implementing this. However it works it must add to the bottom line, not take away. How cumbersome it is to guests, isn't a factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, this sounds great to me. I hate seeing people use 4 year old mugs. I buy a new one each trip! It may be pricey, but its fun to have one for each year. Maybe this will be a good change.
    '93, '94, '95, '97, '98 - Fort Wilderness
    '00 & '01 - Contemporary
    '02 - Old Key West
    '06 & '07 - Pop Century
    '09 - All-Star Music

'10 - All-Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I think this would be fine as long as the mug was still an option, I will not use paper cups the lids are not good for someone who has dexterity issues do too injury. I really hope this is not the end to refillables.

The idea of a card based or token based drink machine is not new, they have one in the Tokeyo Airport it uses coin or credit. You swipe or deposit and it fills a drink for you, if you want a refill you scan your reciept and it gives you another for free, but this machine works with coke based paper cups and uses a new cup each time, its a bit of a wasteful idea, I hope if its this type of machine Disney finds a way of making it "green".
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so you use your KTTW card to access the drink machine but you can refill any container that fits under the spout? What's to stop someone from sticking a popcorn bucket under the spout? (I've only read about this, not seen it) I'm also wondering about standard cups for meals purchased at the food courts. I enjoy the unlimited refills and don't want to lose that. I'm curious to see this in action.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    OK, so you use your KTTW card to access the drink machine but you can refill any container that fits under the spout?
    Nothing would stop someone from sticking another container there. The main idea is that you've paid for the unlimited refills this trip rather than using a mug from a past trip. They are not trying to stop the unlimited refills part, just trying to enforce the "length of stay" rule, if I understand correctly.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought if you had a mug purchased under the old policy you could still bring it back for refills? I did that a few times years ago (2001 being the last time). I assumed you could still do that with the older mugs (pre-mugs that don't have the disclaimer on them limiting their use to LOS), but my older mugs are pretty beat up, so I haven't bothered.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    I thought if you had a mug purchased under the old policy you could still bring it back for refills?
    That's correct. Mugs under the old policy can still be used. Not sure how they would handle that if they implement this "token" system.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    OK, so you use your KTTW card to access the drink machine but you can refill any container that fits under the spout? What's to stop someone from sticking a popcorn bucket under the spout? (I've only read about this, not seen it) I'm also wondering about standard cups for meals purchased at the food courts. I enjoy the unlimited refills and don't want to lose that. I'm curious to see this in action.
    Well more to the point, though, what would prevent someone who paid for the refillable mug from using their card to refill water bottles, travel mugs, cups, etc. for their entire family?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Well more to the point, though, what would prevent someone who paid for the refillable mug from using their card to refill water bottles, travel mugs, cups, etc. for their entire family?
    Thats what I was wondering, like I said the one like this in Tokyo Airport automatically fills and dispenses for you in a paper cup. I am wondering if this could be an end to refillable mugs...unlimited drinks but in a auto dispensed paper cup...? However I guess on that note what would stop someone from filling 4 or 5 at the same time if its going to be "unlimited"...
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

My idea would be to put the bar code on the bottom of the mug, stick it under and it dispenses, pull it away and it stops. Of course this won't stop you from transfering to another container, but you'd look pretty silly doing it.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think of the mug as pricey. I buy a new one each trip based on my proximity to the drinks area (This next trip, I'm staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge - the drinks are an elevator ride away; at the Carribean Beach Resort this last March, I was a 15 minute walk from the soda machine.) I figure I get about $10 worth of sugary soda goodness out of the deal. The other $4 I gladly pay simply for the convenience. I can go there at odd hours and get a cool drink at the end of the day. It's a nice idea. It is disappointing to think that some people try to dodge the system. I think people should try to remember that, while they are being dishonest, their children are watching...and learning. The tacet message being: it's alright to cheat, as long as you don't get caught. Sad.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit it annoys when I have a legal refillable mug and someone in front of me is filling an old mug so anything that helps is a welcome change
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

The DH and I buy a new mug every year we go. (Our collection has its very own shelf and we use them everyday) I really can't see this following through, people are still going to find a way around this. The only real way around this is for the people behind the counter to fill your mugs while you wait for your food.
    Jun '00 Jul '03 - All-Star Music
    Aug '05 - POP
    May '07 - All-Star Sports
    Aug '08 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Mar '09 - POP
    Sept '10 - POP (Our DD 1st Trip!!)
    Oct ' 11-Nov '11 - POP
    Nov '13 -Off Property Bonnet Creek
    Jun '14 -POP (Our DS 1st Trip!!)
    Jun '15 -POP
    Aug '15 -Disneyland (1st Trip)

Post Thanks / Like

i would hate something like this to happen.
    do you know how much trouble, hassel th is would be for disney? what if the coin didn't work? what if the bar code didn't work? the customer would have to go back to the cashier and get a new one.

i can guarntee that more softdrinks are wasted by people pouring the over flow down the drain, or changing their mind what they want to drink, etc....than they lose to people who "cheat" the system. I read that Disney pays exactly $0 dollars for a 16 oz cup of drink. Coke is the official soft drink despenser for disney, and they supply it free. why would disney worry about creating negative publicity for this?
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Ive hears that the water park system works based on the day of the week, not necessarily the date. Meaning there are Monday cups, Tuesday cups, etc. I haven't confirmed this though.

Don't confuse a token with an actual coin.

Disney will also not spend more than they stand to make, by implementing this. However it works it must add to the bottom line, not take away. How cumbersome it is to guests, isn't a factor.
    the waterparks use codes for days of the week, and they reuse the same codes...not that I know first hand or anything after trying it once, I went home and peeled off all my old stickers so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat the system again.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to see them implement a bar code or code onto a KTTK. My house doesn't have room for four new mugs every time we get back from WDW.
    It would also be a little "greener" to purchase a bar code sticker or have a code put on your room key for an existing mug then to keep buying mugs every time you check in.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: