Quantcast Change to Refillable Mug System? - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to reply to those who remarked that they disapproved of the "old" mugs. I am assuming that we are talking about the original, wide mugs as opposed to the ones that fit into car cupholders.

As a visitor to the parks with over 100 visits within our family and as a former cast member, my response is that when these mugs first were introduced, we were TOLD BY THE RESORTS to BRING THEM BACK ON FUTURE VISITS!!!

We will bring ours back until we are asked not to do so. We have mugs for Contemporary, Poly, Coronado, Caribbean, etc., etc. In all fairness, we do not take what we don't use (i.e., condiments, napkins, etc.) and I do not feel that this is an infringement in any way, shape or form on WDW. Thank you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    I just wanted to reply to those who remarked that they disapproved of the "old" mugs. I am assuming that we are talking about the original, wide mugs as opposed to the ones that fit into car cupholders.
    No, the problem folks have is not at all with the original mugs. Those had no expiration date, so bringing them back is not a problem. Though many folks may not know the difference, the problem is with those who have gotten the mugs since the policy switched to "length of stay" and yet they continue to use mugs. What you're doing is not a violation of any policy or rules. The later scenario is. That's been the area of concern.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Strmchsr, thanks for clarifying. I was not aware of any change to the mug program. I just saw the new mugs recently and figured that they changed to one design to save money or something.

Have a great summer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Strmchsr, thanks for clarifying. I was not aware of any change to the mug program.
    No problem. It's been a few years now since they changed. I guess they decided they weren't selling enough mugs with the "unlimited refills" and so changed to "length of stay unlimited refills."
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get the hubbub over people who are refilling mugs that are more recent than the ones from the unlimited refill days. The only thing that gets a second look from me sometimes is when you see someone with a generic coffee mug. I just chalk it up to a fact of life- everyone doesn't play by the rules. It's not fair, but I have more important things to be getting upset over than every Manny, Moe, and Jack who abuses refills.

Personally I think this new system sounds like too much of a hassle.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Change to Refillable Mug System?

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    No, the problem folks have is not at all with the original mugs. Those had no expiration date, so bringing them back is not a problem. Though many folks may not know the difference, the problem is with those who have gotten the mugs since the policy switched to "length of stay" and yet they continue to use mugs. What you're doing is not a violation of any policy or rules. The later scenario is. That's been the area of concern.
    Just curious...are all the old wide mugs the refillable for life mugs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMommie View Post
    Just curious...are all the old wide mugs the refillable for life mugs?
    No. There was a time when length of stay mugs were the slender or wide option. If it's a length of stay mug, it should have a disclaimer around the handle.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ž.•*š)ž.•*š)ž.•*šMagicž.•*š)ž.•*š)ž.•*š

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Change to Refillable Mug System?

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    No. There was a time when length of stay mugs were the slender or wide option. If it's a length of stay mug, it should have a disclaimer around the handle.
    I looked through storage bags filled with old mugs. Some of my wide mugs do have the length of stay disclaimer.

From what I have sifted through so far I see two different types which have no disclaimer around the handle or anywhere else. One is an old grey Contemporary wide mug and the other is a white (with sky blue handle and lid) Epcot wide mug. I am pretty sure the grey mug is one of the good forever mugs.

Thank you for this information. It is very helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

I also have 2 wide mouth mugs from All Star Movies with message that they are only good during the length of stay. I bought them in 1999. Does that time period sound about right?

Thanks
    Daisy712

Caribbean Beach Resort 1989, 2010
    All Star Movies 1999, 2000, 2002
    Dolphin 2001
    Fairfield Cypress Palms 2003
    Port Orleans French Quarter 2004
    Contemporary 2004
    Wilderness Lodge 2005
    Pop 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010
    Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy712 View Post
    I also have 2 wide mouth mugs from All Star Movies with message that they are only good during the length of stay. I bought them in 1999. Does that time period sound about right?

Thanks
    Yeah, that's about the time they switched to length of stay on the mugs.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Like many things in life, you're ultimately on the honor system to some degree. Given how inexpensive the soda is, per mug, this is still a profitable part of the business for Disney. I see the usefulness of a tracking/verification system for mugs to be more of a way to sell access to drinks resort-wide (in the parks too), rather than being worried about someone at the Contemporary not paying for all the soda they drink while staying there. If you booked a room at the Contemporary and just drank soda all day long, Disney is still going to be in the black on that trade.

I have also overheard CMs telling people they can bring them back and use them. CMs can be wrong, but if they were told they could then who am I to get upset about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
    I have also overheard CMs telling people they can bring them back and use them. CMs can be wrong, but if they were told they could then who am I to get upset about it?
    Yup, they say that all the time, so it's really hard to get upset with people, when the information is not acurate. I truly think this is a mountain/molehill subject.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I am saying it isn't right to try to stop the scammers, if that's the purpose, but how much money can they be losing on soda sales with people using refillable mugs from previous years? Isn't it something like 9 cents a cup that companies pay for the soda syrup? If they're charging over 2 bucks a cup per drink, and over 10 bucks per mug, can they be losing that much money to make it worth it to implement a different system? It's not as though everyone visiting there is toting the wrong mug - I think most people do it right. I thought I read somewhere that soda was the biggest money maker for places like McDonalds.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect Disney could include free drinks for every resort guest at their resort and still be profitable for your stay. No doubt they get an even better deal on the drinks than most locations because there is competition for product placement on the resort.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt they get an even better deal on the drinks than most locations because there is competition for product placement on the resort.
    I'm sure you're right about that. I'm not even debating the "rightness or wrongness" of people using other mugs, I just really think that WDW just doesn't really care that much.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dinahvixen View Post
    Not that I am saying it isn't right to try to stop the scammers, if that's the purpose, but how much money can they be losing on soda sales with people using refillable mugs from previous years? Isn't it something like 9 cents a cup that companies pay for the soda syrup? If they're charging over 2 bucks a cup per drink, and over 10 bucks per mug, can they be losing that much money to make it worth it to implement a different system? It's not as though everyone visiting there is toting the wrong mug - I think most people do it right. I thought I read somewhere that soda was the biggest money maker for places like McDonalds.
    I have read many times here people saying that Disney doesn't even pay for the pop/soda, that Coca Cola gives it to then free
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    I thought if you had a mug purchased under the old policy you could still bring it back for refills? I did that a few times years ago (2001 being the last time). I assumed you could still do that with the older mugs (pre-mugs that don't have the disclaimer on them limiting their use to LOS), but my older mugs are pretty beat up, so I haven't bothered.
    My older mugs that would be grandfathered in are so bad that you can only see the characters' feet!
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

We were at Disney last week, and I am not exactly a patient person...but I had to wait in line at the soda machine with my newly purchased cup, while an individual filled up there 64 ounce "super sipper" jug with ice, and then a beverage from the dispenser. The jug was from a gas station from wherever this person was from. I realize this is a problem w/o an answer, but at the very least this person should have used a previously purchased cup. to top it off, she took the last of the ice!!
    1986 and 1991 offsite
    1998,2000,2001,2003,2004,2006,2008 movies
    1999, 2002 sports
    2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 pop
    2008 Riverside (Christmas Parade)
    2010 CB (25th anniversary)

Post Thanks / Like

I see the usefulness of a tracking/verification system for mugs to be more of a way to sell access to drinks resort-wide (in the parks too),
    I'd put my dollar on this one. I could see refill stations in the parks that would be for resort guests only (and require a small fee but would give unlimited LOS refills in the parks and resorts.)
    There seems to be no sign of intelligent life anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    I'd put my dollar on this one. I could see refill stations in the parks that would be for resort guests only (and require a small fee but would give unlimited LOS refills in the parks and resorts.)
    Now THAT would be great!! I would love to fill up my mug with some soda on the way to the bus stop in the morning but then I have to drag it around empty all day which makes NO sense. But if they were to put in dispensers at the parks, I could use my own mug all day AND it would cut down drastically on paper and plastic waste as a ton of people would no longer need the paper cups and plastic lids and straws!
    "Is there a 12 step program for this Mouse addiction?"

Next Trips:

11/18-11/29 Destination D:Amazing Adventures!! GF for two nights then Caribbean Beach with free dining...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: