Quantcast This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

This just in ... Different people like different things! One man's "AWESOME!" is another man's "BORING!" That's what makes the world go round.

I have a daughter who's 8 ... just entering the prime "this is sooooooooooooo boring" phase of life ... and she loves the Magic Kingdom. It's her favorite park and Space Mountain is her favorite ride anywhere.

Clearly MK isn't for adrenaline junkies. If that's what you're into, go somewhere else. Honestly, the entire discussion as to whether it's "boring' or not is almost silly. Some people love basketball ... I think it's pretty boring. I love baseball ... some people think it's boring.

It's all subjective and very, very much based on personal tastes. It's defintely not an "iPhone Generation" thing because I can tell you for certain that there are pre-teens and teens who love Magic Kingdom. I personally think it has more to do with what age you were exposed to the rides ... when you're little if you learn to love them you'll probably love them your entire life. If you first ride them when you're a jaded, annoying teenager then you'll probably find them "boring."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I really think it has to do with how the parents treat the Magic Kingdom. I know in my family, I am just or maybe more excited to walk up Main Street then my kids. We have been taking our kids since they were infants and go back about every 2 years or so. My 3 year olds face simply lights up when she sees a picture of the Castle on tv, because I tell her that this is the greatest place on earth, and then they start to believe that themselves.
    76 CR,80 Offsite,82 CR, 85 Offsite, 88/89 GF,
    91 Dolphin, 93 DxL,94 WL,94 POLY,
    97 Offsite, 99 CSR, 02 ASMo, 03/04 ASMo
    04 POR, 05 POR, 08 POR, 10 ASMu FS,
    12 ASMu FS, 14 ASMo,
    POR, 15 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Lake View Post
    I really think it has to do with how the parents treat the Magic Kingdom. I know in my family, I am just or maybe more excited to walk up Main Street then my kids. We have been taking our kids since they were infants and go back about every 2 years or so. My 3 year olds face simply lights up when she sees a picture of the Castle on tv, because I tell her that this is the greatest place on earth, and then they start to believe that themselves.
    Bingo. Totally agree.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

If it is thrills one seeks, one should attend a "thrill park". There are many such parks across the country and around the world.

However, if it is a delightfully themed fantasy/storybook/magical place one seeks thou shall attend the Magic Kingdom. There are few such "themed parks" in the world!

So let it be written.
    So let it be done!
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Post I just had to get in on this...

It has been a while since I posted on Intercot. However, upon reading this thread I felt convicted to give my .

I just pulled DS 17 away from a video game to read this post. His response..."How can you be "bored" when you are on vacation in FL at Disney World?" He strongly disagreed with the idea that MK is boring!

My sister-in-law (DH's sister) and family went years ago to DW. If you ask her and my brother-in-law it was a big waste of money. Their kids wanted to stay at the hotel pool the entire time instead of in the parks. Also, she said that by the last day DBIL was griping because he hadn't seen "a mouse" all week. This story always amazes me. They just don't get it.

I believe it is a mindset. And, I also believe your experience anywhere on Disney property has to do with two things: research and planning.

For me personally, I am with a previous poster. It is a waste of money for me to go to a "thrill ride park." I am unable to ride most thrill rides because of a bad back. I end up paying a lot of money just to sit on a bench all day. Not at DW! And, not just at MK! There is something I can do at every park while my guys ride the thrill rides!

Finally, I would just like to add that it is the "most magical place on earth!" Unfortunately, the magic is just lost on some people, young and old. I will step down off my now.
    Visits:

Buena Vista Palace ~ Dec. 1987
    All-Star Movies ~ June 2002
    Port Orleans Riverside ~ April 2007
    POP! Century ~ July 2008

FOREVER LET US HOLD OUR BANNER HIGH!

Jill

Proud member of the Mickey Mouse Club

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot imagine even uttering those words..."boring".

All 3 of my kids love all 4 parks...I hope that never changes.
    Off-Site several times between 1983-1992
    1993-Grand Floridian
    1996-Poly
    1998-Poly
    2001-Poly
    2004-Pop
    2008-Pop "First MNSSHP"
    2009-Coronado Springs" MNSSHP"
    2010-Pop Century "MNSSHP"
    Next Trip 10/01/2011 MNSSHP !

"Now approaching carousal of progress."

Post Thanks / Like

Someone mentioned taking stripping sway the theming...but that's just what makes Disney "Disney". For me it is the attention to detail. And I'm glad my kids get it too. Several years ago when DSs were 6 and 3, we went with some friends. Their kids (same ages) were all about going to the next ride, whereas my kids wanted to take the time (without persuasion from me) to enjoy the details, ie the effects after TT or space mt.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, just different approaches...
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy'sMom View Post
    Isn't sad that alot of today's youth don't want to use their imaginations and think they have to be entertained each and every moment?
    ITA with you on this statement.
    Polynesian & BLT October 2011!

Post Thanks / Like

Mk is our favorite park but my boys are 9, 7, and 5. I know when I was 19 and in college and was all about thrill rides MK was still my favorite park! Guess you just have to have that little bit of pixie dust in your blood. LOL
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is a very interesting thread. We have been taking our kids to Disney since they were in kindergarten (now they're in college). They LOVE the Magic Kingdom (as do we). My son is 20 and he still has to visit the Shootin' Arcade and Tom Sawyer's Island on every trip. My daughter is 18 and a trip without Splash Mountain is no trip at all. Maybe it's because they get to relive the magic they felt as young children. We have friends who took their kids on their first trip when they were in middle school. The kids HATED it and thought it was stupid. They thought Big Thunder Mountain was SO lame. I just ignore and remember all the fun we've had as a family over the years. My kids will always love the MK and this makes me very happy.
    Nice work, pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Ian and Bay Lake pretty much nailed it in my opinion. I also have to wonder if this was that family's first trip and how the kids were brought up. Our now 18 year old daughter watched Disney movies when she was younger, enjoyed family time and board games together as opposed to ipods, iphones, and other technological wonders. Her first trip was when she was 5, and she's never been bored at all with MK. In fact, she cries when leaving Main Street for the last time each trip.

We were just there, and all three of us absolutely can't wait to go back and ride all those "boring" rides again and walk down that "boring" Main Street and see that "boring" castle. Someone else mentioned Carrousel of Progress. We miss it so much when we're not there that we watch it on Youtube as a family! A lot of it has got to be with upbringing and how the parents feel about WDW and Disney in general.
    Scott
    2 visits as a child
    6/97, 6/01, 6/04: All-Star Sports
    12/05, 6/08: Pop Century
    May-June/10: Animal Kingdom Lodge
    5/11: All-Star Sports 1 night Epcot Flower & Garden
    May 2013 POFQ (25th anniversary!)

Post Thanks / Like

I think it could happen at any age. There seem to be people who just get the magic and connect with Disney parks and then people who don't get it and do not understand. Those are the people who say "you're going to Disney World, again?" Or can't believe that adults would go without children. Or think they're just boating by mannequins instead of seeing a whole world of fun and adventure in the details. We're obviously the people who get it and don't understand the "MK is boring" mentality, but to each her own. I don't think it has to do with age or generation.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

If my kids ever say Magic kingdom is boring, i'm putting them up for adoption!
    (kidding of course, but they had better never say it!)
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Like Ian said, different strokes for different folks.

Just because someone doesn't like the Magic Kingdom doesn't mean they're boring or dull or that their parents are a bad influence. It doesn't mean they lack creativity or that they're just plain negative people. Some people love Disney and can't understand why others would spend a whole week in the woods looking at mountains. Others love the mountains and can't understand why anyone would spend a whole week looking at a bunch of plastic and concrete. If everyone liked Disney the lines would be so outrageous we'd never get to do anything. Similarly, if everyone liked Yellowstone many of the park's beautiful resources would simply be trampled to death.

To be fair, if someone took any of us to some completely new-to-us theme park full of the same rides but dressed up with characters and/or stories we didn't know, would many of us actually enjoy it? Pirates of the Indian Ocean with Joe Starling. Sylvia's Castle. Jones family treehouse. Not quite the same effect.

I can see the kids' point, and I don't think there's anything wrong with them having that view. Certainly not enough for me to judge them anonymously on an internet message board.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I was being bored in the MK right now!!! Would give my left arm as a matter of fact!
    My first home is in Coastal Georgia, 30 feet from the saltwater marsh, and 3.5 hours from WDW!My second home is the Walt Disney World Dolphin Resort!CR,Poly,GF,BC,BW,WL,AKL,Dolphin,Swan,DL,CSR,POFQ,C BR,POP,AS,Vero.

Post Thanks / Like

Everything as "lame" or "boring" to kids that age. Mine, @ that age, thought she was a little too grown-up for MK. Course, that's changed, now that she's older. She not so embarassed anymore to do the things she used to think made her look silly. Although, we probably will spend less time in MK this trip. As for me and DH, the nostalgia factor is a big decider for us to spend time in MK. Our fave is EPCOT. So much of it is still undiscovered to us, and we will be spending alot more time there this trip!
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

When my boy's were small we took my mom along on our trip, the last being the 25th celebration. On our first trip without her I sat down on a bench and started to cry. DS was 8 at the time, sat down next to me, put his arm around me and said mama, remember that song..."it's time to remember the magic". Each time we get to MK he still says that. On our trip last month DS15 got birthdays ears, DS18 got graduation ears, and posed for a picture still grinning ear to ear. So,I agree with the others, it's all about the magic. Some get it, and some don't.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

That is crazy!! MK is not my favorite park (I like Epcot, AK, MK, then HS) but it still cannot be missed! MK has its own thing going on, just like the other parks. It has that extra touch of magic... I mean where else can you ride with ghosts, spin in 'mad' teacups, visit a pirate village, plunge down a mountain in a log, and then get your photo taken with Mickey Mouse himself? I was 20 when I first got to go to WDW, and we have gone every year since! (Trip number 3 in 31 days!) Oh well, I suppose that will make for a few less cranky people at WDW!!
    Disney dreaming in progress....

April 2016- Polynesian!

May 2014- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

August 2010- Polynesian!

May 2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

July 2008- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely an individual choice, not purely an age thing in my opinion.

Our daughter (age 20) and niece (age 18) have both made numerous trips to WDW starting at about the age of 2.

For the last couple years our niece has been a major pain and made it clear she was not having fun. When we got home from the trip last summer she informed everyone that once she turned 18 we could never force her to go there again.

Our daughter on the other hand is looking forward to our trip next month, even though we were just there in January. She loves the fact that at WDW she can act like a little kid again, wear her Minnie ears and eat Mickey bars at 10am.

She understands the magic and my wife and I pray that she never loses it.
    Someday we hope to bring grandchildren to WDW and watch them catch the magic as well.
    35+ trips to WDW since 1985...and it never gets old.

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing too wrong with their analysis. Much of the MK has not changed in the past ~35 years. The rides are a step above a State Fair, there are no thrill rides there. You can only put paint on stuff for so long to make it exciting. Eventually it will be unexciting.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: