Quantcast Magical Express Question

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Magical Express Question

Quick Question for my DM...can you take your own luggage from baggage claim and transport it to the hotel we are staying on the same Magical Express bus that we are riding? This is in hope of not losing our luggage and getting to our room as quickly as possible...thanks for the help!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes<3 (:

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can pick up your own but it will take you longer to pick up your own luggage. You have a bright yellow tag that goes on your luggage that the CM knows that your luggage needs to put it on a seperate truck to go to the resort listed on it. Don't worry I have used ME everytime execpt one and have had no problems.
    Jun '00 Jul '03 - All-Star Music
    Aug '05 - POP
    May '07 - All-Star Sports
    Aug '08 - Poly (Honeymoon)
    Mar '09 - POP
    Sept '10 - POP (Our DD 1st Trip!!)
    Oct ' 11-Nov '11 - POP
    Nov '13 -Off Property Bonnet Creek
    Jun '14 -POP (Our DS 1st Trip!!)
    Jun '15 -POP
    Aug '15 -Disneyland (1st Trip)

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, the luggage gets there very fast - you don't save time by getting it yourself. Each time, my luggage has gotten there only within 30 minutes of check in. (Sometimes they drop it off when we're in the room!) The only time it didn't is when we got a surprise room upgrade and it took 2 hours. It's guaranted within 3 anyway.

Since we go out to play immediately after dropping our stuff in our room, it has never beena problem. Anything I might need in the first few hours after check in goes in my carry on anyway . . .

Don't worry about your luggage - let WDW handle it and go have fun!
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with everyone else. Don't worry about your luggage, just bring whatever you might need for about 3 hours after checking in at the hotel and go have fun.

I have used ME for every trip since it began and have never had a lost piece of luggage and it was all in my room well within the 3 hours from check in.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to pick up your own luggage DON'T put the yellow tag on your luggage
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the yellow tags and the airline loses your luggage, then Disney takes on the hassle of tracking it down and delivering it to your room.

If you don't use the yellow tags and the airline loses your luggage YOU get to waste precious vacation time filling out forms and wondering and worrying about were your bags are. Then once they're found, you get to wait for the airline to send them to you when it's convenient for them, and then wait around your hotel for possibly hours for the lost luggage service to deliver it.

I vote for letting ME handle it!
    Goofy Texan

August 2010 AS-Movies • June 2008 Pop Century • June 2006 AS-Movies
    May 2002 POR • May 2000 AS-Music • May 1998 AS Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said if you decide you want to pick up your own luggage make sure you don't use the yellow tags. We've picked up our own luggage before and we probably would the next time we ended up using it as well. Just our preference. But its definitely an option you just go pick it up and then make your way to the DME area and stick it under whatever bus you get on.
    Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Post Thanks / Like

We have generally let ME handle the luggage but last trip we arrived after 10pm so we were required to pick up our own luggage. We waiting for 30 to 45 minutes before the bags were taken off the plane and avaiable. I think I would have already been at the resort if ME would have handled.
    POR 3/2006
    GF 12/2010
    CSR 3/2011
    DLH 6/2012, 6/2013
    POFQ 3/2007, 4/2008, 12/2008, 3/2010, 10/2011, 4/2013, 3/2015, 5/2017
    BC 3/2014
    AKL 9/2015, 5/2018
    BW 9/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by exvagirl View Post
    Quick Question for my DM...can you take your own luggage from baggage claim and transport it to the hotel we are staying on the same Magical Express bus that we are riding? This is in hope of not losing our luggage and getting to our room as quickly as possible...thanks for the help!!!
    Just a couple comments on what I highlighted above.

You have a MUCH greater chance of the airline delaying your luggage than DME delaying it. The DME luggage tags each have a barcode. That barcode is scanned 5 separate times between airplane and the inside of your resort room. And the luggage delivery trucks are tracked by GPS. Look, nothing is perfect of course, but DME is Disney, and Disney is superior at customer service.

The other point is that if you claim your own bags you all but guarantee that you're getting to your room S-L-O-W-E-R than if you let DME handle your bags. In the time it takes for you to wait at baggage claim, it's very likely that you missed the next available bus to your resort and you'll have to wait for the next one.

Also, just in case a few bucks would make a difference to you:
    If you bring your bags to the bus, the driver must load them under the bus and retrieve them for you when you arrive at your resort. It is customary to tip for such service. But if you let DME handle your bags, Disney actually tips the Bell Service cast members who deliver the DME bags to the rooms (that is, they pay them a guaranteed payment as if it were a tip from the guest), so you don't owe a tip for your in-bound luggage. I realize it's only a few bucks, and I'm not saying it's a big deal and that this alone should make up your mind for you, but I thought it's a detail that's good to know.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanksss! My mom finally decided to go ahead and try ME...we'll see!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

As stated in another post above if you arrive after 10PM even though you were suppose to get there before 10PM the question remains if DME will get your bags??????????? What happens now your bags are taged with the yellow tag but due to delays of not your doing you arrive after 10PM
    Hugpug

Have stayed at FW,ASM,POP,WL,CS,POR,POFQ,CB,POLY,Grovesnor,Offsit e over the years past. LOVED THEM ALL

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll be pleased with Magical Express. We've never had a problem and have now been using them for years. Just a note that anything you might need IMMEDIATELY upon arrival you might want to put in your carry-on so that you'll have it with you - but really the luggage does arrive very quickly and right to your room! Magic!
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    As stated in another post above if you arrive after 10PM even though you were suppose to get there before 10PM the question remains if DME will get your bags??????????? What happens now your bags are taged with the yellow tag but due to delays of not your doing you arrive after 10PM
    If you arrive after 10 pm, for whatever reason, you will be required to retrieve your own baggage as there are no DME baggage personnel (Bags Inc.) "on the clock." It doesn't matter what the SCHEDULED arrival time is, only the ACTUAL arrival time.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    If you arrive after 10 pm, for whatever reason, you will be required to retrieve your own baggage as there are no DME baggage personnel (Bags Inc.) "on the clock." It doesn't matter what the SCHEDULED arrival time is, only the ACTUAL arrival time.
    Your not getting my question the bags are already taged. Wll they put them on the carsusel even with the tags on them for you to retrive? Remember I may not get to Orlando until after 10PM even though my flight is suppose to arrive before but with some unforseen problems we may be delayed. I'm trying way my options here as I really would not like to have to get my bags but who knows.
    Hugpug

Have stayed at FW,ASM,POP,WL,CS,POR,POFQ,CB,POLY,Grovesnor,Offsit e over the years past. LOVED THEM ALL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harriet View Post
    Your not getting my question the bags are already taged. Wll they put them on the carsusel even with the tags on them for you to retrive? Remember I may not get to Orlando until after 10PM even though my flight is suppose to arrive before but with some unforseen problems we may be delayed. I'm trying way my options here as I really would not like to have to get my bags but who knows.
    When Bags Inc is pulling luggage for DME, (pre-10pm) there is someone from that company actually there pulling the luggage off the conveyor (to the carousel) and placing it on a trailer/cart/conveyor to where they sort it for the different resorts -- this is someone completely different from the regular baggage handlers for the plane/airport. After 10pm the Bags Inc person is not there so the luggage goes out to the carousel. There is no one handling baggage who looks at, or cares about, a yellow tag after 10pm -- all bags go to the carousel.

Your luggage (pre-10pm) goes from plane to conveyor - per airport baggage handler - to Bags Inc baggage handler to DME sort area to your resort.
    (Plane => Baggage Handler => Conveyor => Bags Inc [DME] Baggage Handler => DME Sort Area => Resort)

Your luggage (post-10pm) goes from plane to conveyor - per airport baggage handler - to carousel to where you pick it up to take to your resort.
    (Plane => Baggage Handler => Conveyor => Carousel => You => Resort)
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thamk You that's what I needed to know so I can still put the tags on my bags and hope I get to Orlando before 10PM as schudled. If not I know to go too bag claim area and retrive by bag.
    Hugpug

Post Thanks / Like

As others have stated, let DME handle your luggage. If you think you are going to save time getting it yourself, that is not accurate. If you use the tags, DME is your agent for lost luggage in that case. They work with the airlines to find it and deal with the hassles. In March, we were at AKL when a mother was there with their daughter. The airline lost the luggage and provided enough credit for 1-day's worth of clothing and needs. DMe spent 3 days for them with the airline. Each day getting them credit to purchase clothes for the day. After the 4th day, DME provided them with a check to replace the lost luggage and they closed with the airline. The only time the family "lost" was getting new clothing at the AKL shop each day. You can guess the settlement because you know what a day's worth of clothes cost on Disney property.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17